As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Olynik getting more minutes is not going to solve the AD problem.

Didn't say it would solve it but he's the only dressed player that isn't looking up through Davis's nostrils.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    This blatant disregard if Meyers is just so... so... so... warranted

burbo on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No Bam and no Dragic

This could get real ugly real fast

• Options
    The commentators trying to talk it up like Miami can win if they JUSSSST BELIEVVVVE is instantly tiring.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it will be relatively close. Lakers can play at 75% and get the win while also resting.

• Options
    Thats crazy. Its the NBA finals. Teams should play as hard as they can and give themselves the best chance to win. What do they need to rest for? Are they saving themselves for summer (winter) league?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Do we even know when the next season starts

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Thats crazy. Its the NBA finals. Teams should play as hard as they can and give themselves the best chance to win. What do they need to rest for? Are they saving themselves for summer (winter) league?

The one thing I would guess is that they assume Bam comes back in the next game no matter what, and that Dragic may try to come back quickly as well. If they're rested in this game, they can go all out in Game 3 against Miami's last stand and essentially end the series.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Dragic got plantar fascitis which I believe is season ending.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

The one thing I would guess is that they assume Bam comes back in the next game no matter what, and that Dragic may try to come back quickly as well. If they're rested in this game, they can go all out in Game 3 against Miami's last stand and essentially end the series.

Can't pro athletes go all out every game, when it comes to the finals? I understand the strategy, but its not like any unused effort can just be tacked onto the next game.

I dunno, maybe I don't understand the conditioning and maximum effort levels of pro athletes, but some teams seem to be able to do ot every game in a playoffs.

• Options
    Meyers sighting! He scored! Go Meyers go you big giant doofus!

• Options
    AD is just wrecking the Heat.

• Options

Can't pro athletes go all out every game, when it comes to the finals? I understand the strategy, but its not like any unused effort can just be tacked onto the next game.

I dunno, maybe I don't understand the conditioning and maximum effort levels of pro athletes, but some teams seem to be able to do ot every game in a playoffs.

I think Lebron has to be coming up on most minutes ever played

17 seasons, 15 playoffs, 10 finals, olympics, been mostly healthy and averaged like 40 minutes per his first 10 seasons...

• Options

They have to win 4 games so if they can easily win tonight and take their foot off the pedal so they have a little more gas in case the Heat get healthier for the next game... they will.

• Options
    I hear yall, but there is too much variation in the NBA to ever assume "easy win" much less in the NBA finals of all places. If its an easy win, them blow them out in 3 quarters and rest, but ensure the win!

• Options

I think it does depend on a team-by-team basis. Like, the Heat have gotten this far because their conditioning is the best in the NBA and they're giving maximum effort the entire time, which causes opponents to tire out by the 4th quarter. On the flip side, the Lakers have so much talent that they can choose when they want to go maximum effort to tilt the game in their favor.

Also the playoffs already require more effort in general just because the stakes are so high, so if a team can find actual in-game time to get rest, that can really help them in the long run.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    This Lakers acting like they can't just dominate in the paint this whole time, dribbling out the shot clock, making stupid turnovers sure is good drama.

• Options
    Love when the Lakers play complacent, disinterested basketball.

Being a fan of this team is a special kind of frustrating.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Effort is a skill. The Lakers have a ton of talentn but thats one place where they are non elite.

Still within 3 by end of quarter though.

This is how Lebron can get Finals MVP though. AD doesn't have that consistency down all the way yet.

• Options
    This game is emblematic of what I was talking about. There are no guaranteed wins in the NBA finals.

• Options
    AD has played terribly in this game. Surest sign that he should get MVP if the Lakers win the series.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    I dont know if this is best game J Butts has played, but its def the best game I'VE seen him play

• Options
    This whole game felt like the traditional dropped one in a gentleman's sweep to me.

DRAMA

• Options
    Lebron acting like a baby about it. Hahaha

• Options
    I'm a gentleman's sweep purist. I only like to use the term if a team starts 3-0

• Options
    Butler definitely played out of his mind.

That said, this somehow felt like a game the Lakers lost more than the Heat won. They never seemed fully invested in the proceedings, they've completely fallen in love with shooting from 3, and the defense has been noticeably absent. The Lakers have won in these playoffs in part because they've been able to make a single adjustment, and just like every other series so far, Vogel usually waits until a loss. It does make Game 4 more interesting to see what exactly that adjustment will be.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Basically if Butler can keep putting up 40 point triple doubles and the Lakers can keep lackadaisically shooting there’s then the Heat just might pull this off.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

That said, this somehow felt like a game the Lakers lost more than the Heat won. They never seemed fully invested in the proceedings, they've completely fallen in love with shooting from 3, and the defense has been noticeably absent. The Lakers have won in these playoffs in part because they've been able to make a single adjustment, and just like every other series so far, Vogel usually waits until a loss. It does make Game 4 more interesting to see what exactly that adjustment will be.

The Lakers had 12 turnovers in the first quarter. They definitely blew this game.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

The biggest adjustment I saw from the Heat is not allowing an easy switch with Robinson or Herro from Lebron. Like, they. would be on him for 2 seconds, then Butler runs back and they go find their man, and Lebron was too hesitant to take advantage of the momentary mismatch or the momentary confusion.

On the other end, Lebron was not fighting through picks at all. He was taking the Butler assignment when he got going, but they would just do a simple screen and the Lakers would switch with no fight. So, there's almost no point to putting yourself on Butler anyway.

So, the easy adjustment, in my opinion (aside from AD at center and not in foul trouble, of course) would be for Lebron to act quickly on those screens and temporary mismatches, and to fight harder through picks.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Lakers basically did the opposite of what they did the first two games offensively and defensively. The only adjustment needed is to review the tape from game 1 and do that again. There was no help defense happening all game and that’s at least half of Butler’s points being mostly undefended. You block two or three of his shots in the lane and the game is completely different, but Lakers bigs weren’t even trying.

I did like watching Butler taking what was given to him though.

• Options
    Basically if Butler can keep putting up 40 point triple doubles and the Lakers can keep lackadaisically shooting there’s then the Heat just might pull this off.

The Heat were playing without 2 out of 3 of their best players. Herro sucked until the last 4 minutes. Sure, the Lakers played poorly, but we shouldn't act like the Heat played the best game of which they are capable.

• Options

The Heat were playing without 2 out of 3 of their best players. Herro sucked until the last 4 minutes. Sure, the Lakers played poorly, but we shouldn't act like the Heat played the best game of which they are capable.

Yeah but there is a decent chance the Heat are finishing this series without those two players.

Dragic for sure.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I predict tonight will be like when I went to bed a few minutes into the 3rd the other day with the heat down ~30.

Einzel on
  • Options
    Fuck it, I'll do it. I predict the Heat to win tonight. Don't @ me.

• Options
    Fuck it, I'll do it. I predict the Heat to win tonight. Don't @ me.

I think that depends on if Lebron is distracted again checking Twitter to see if Trump is dead yet

• Options
    I feel like Adebayo returning will be enough of a spark to get the Lakers to refocus. They really seemed to lose interest once him and Dragic were out.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    J Butts gets mad cred for me as the only all star in the nba who doesn't lose his shit when a foul call/non call doesn't go his way

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Legit closer at the half than I thought.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Lebron is Harden level stationary when he gives up the ball.

Honestly, I think he is cognizant of his fg%. He keeps.like giving the ball up to Danny Green to shoot it when there are 3 secs left on the shot clock

This discussion has been closed.