As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I hated the Nets before it was cool.

Fuck Rich Jeff amirite

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve always kind of nothinged the Nets. They’re just there.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The best part is Nets fans saying that NY belongs to the Nets now because KD and Kyrie and now Harden, but I only ever hear folks talking about how Immanuel Quickley might be the best point guard in a Knicks uniform since Charlie Ward

Goose! on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    James Harden has put in the work to be a champion

so I'm not even mad if they win

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I don't hate the Nets but they've been cruising pretty hard in the Ding Dong category for at least a decade.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I've always wondered why taller guys who can make shots from that distance using hooks and other post-up shots don't just revert to that form instead of trying to do a standard jump shot.

Or, hell, just revert to the old Rick Barry.

because they're embarassed to do it underhand even though it's a lot easier to repeat.

Yeah, the Barry underhand shot doesn't use the same shoulder muscles which tend to kind of get bunched up on the bigger guys shooting a 'normal' free throw where allowing a full extension of those muscles would result in too much power. To get a mechanically sound and easily repeatable shot those guys should be tossing underhand or some kind of full extension 'rainbow'. Hell even a side facing one handed underhand lob or finger roll should theoretically be easier to master

I think for a lot of guys, besides the "uncool" factor, it's a product of learning basketball from a childhood age when you weren't a 6' 10" behemoth and never really adjusting over the years as well as uncompromising Coaches who know how basketball 'should' be played and refusing to allow any deviation

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    LaMelo Ball has been really growing on me. I love his flashy game. I also love Lonzo's overall solid game (high IQ, defense, zero shot ability... Ricky Rubio lite) but LaMelo really feels like the true iteration

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    The Cavs swept the new Nets.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Hawks are staying above .500 at least

just need to get healthy

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I've always wondered what was more important to home court advantage in the NBA, fans, or being able to sleep in one's own bed, eat dinner with one's own family, and work out in your home facilities etc. My guess was always that comforts of home would.be more important, as most of the time, players will just try how hard they try, and fans don't really affect it.

One of the side effects on this year is that we kind of have a natural experiment for that, since home teams now have one advantage, but not the other. Its obviously not a perfect experiment, because even home life isn't typical for anyone right now, and the absence of fans when usually there would be some is different than if it were just naturally a fan less experience.

With those caveats in mind though, I did decide to add up home and away records and see how it shook out. Historically, NBA home teams win 60-61% of games. This year, with 220 games played, they are winning 51.6%. Sample sizes are still lowish, but that is a statistical highly significant difference.

So, all that to say, early indications are that all of that cheering and energy from the home team does appear to be the primary factor in home court advantage. Good job fans.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    LaMelo Ball has been really growing on me. I love his flashy game. I also love Lonzo's overall solid game (high IQ, defense, zero shot ability... Ricky Rubio lite) but LaMelo really feels like the true iteration

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Weird stat for the day.

Bradley Beal has lost ten straight games when scoring 40+ points

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    real angry at lebron shoving embiid in midair because he didn't want to get postered.

just make the business decision instead of trying to hurt a guy. edit: also i think literally any other player in the league gets a flagrant 2 for that.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Especially how Lebron doesn't even bother to check on him and just walks off. Also should note no Sixer got up in his grill to stick up for him.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Well we know his steal game is pretty strong 😏

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Wait a minute.
    My team has the best record in the league right now?
    What is this weird feeling?

• Options
    The lack of attention the Jazz are getting is not surprising, but is still ridiculous. 10 straight wins, best record in the league!

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Really?

The Jazz?

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    No Donovan Mitchell last night vs the Mavericks either due to concussion protocols, so instead Gobert, Ingles, and Conley went for 29, 21, and 17 respectively, and freaking Jordan Clarkson with 31 off the bench man love that dude!

R-dem on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Really?

The Jazz?

As a side note, I really hope that some day the Jazz move to Virginia so that we can start calling them the VaJazzle.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I hate that this clip doesn't include Eric Collins' best line: "LaMelo with some serious yeast!"

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Hornets/Bucks is fire so far. Bugs are shooting the lights out.

• Options
    LaMelo finishes with 27pts, 5reb, 9ast, 4stl, 1to which was in garbage time and +37.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    That slam was all Miles Bridges though. LaMelo put it behind him

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

What a weekend for holyshitnoway 5+ point turnarounds involving back-to-back threes.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the nets have a truly astonishingly bad defense.

almost 300 points in regulation against a 3-12 team. like i'm sure come playoffs they'll try harder and it won't be this bad, but i think post-harden they're on track for the worst defensive rating of all time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Giving up 48 in 4th to the Wizards is a big mark of shame.

• Options
    I never want to see a score that high in regulation outside of the All-Star game.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the nets have a truly astonishingly bad defense.

almost 300 points in regulation against a 3-12 team. like i'm sure come playoffs they'll try harder and it won't be this bad, but i think post-harden they're on track for the worst defensive rating of all time.

It's double alarming because when they do "try harder" in the playoffs that will mean they'll rely heavily on Durant defending bigs which does not bode well considering his health history.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I play a lot of NBA 2k21 MyTeam at the moment (and for the past 12 months). After every game I play I get a tally of the ingame currency I earned during the game. Offense, Defense, FG%, 3pt% and FT%. The less defense you play, the less MT you get.

This game sounds like they got thousands of MT on the offense side and maybe like 5 MT on the defense side. To me that usually happens when I get steamrolled by the opposition and no defense I play works.

Ok ... this whole analogy sounded way better in my head. Anyways, play some defense y'all.

• Options
    To be fair

At this point, Harden, KD, and Kyrie haven’t had that much more practice than an all star team planning out their trick plays and their coach hasn’t had much more time as a coach than whatever former sports people they pull in as the guest coaches of the other all star fake games

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's true "super teams" tend to have more growing pains but there is still a general lack of defensive talent on the Nets. The James-Wade-Bosh Miami first year was rocky in the regular season but I don't remember defense being the issue.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    The Heat had that hyper aggressive blitzing scheme that was really fun. Quite feast of famine, and led to spectacular fast break highlights.

• Options
    Rodney. McGruder.

This discussion has been closed.