As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Houston got a lot of value out of a player who was extremely open about wanting to leave.

They could have got a 2nd round pick and a new washing machine and it would have been a good deal for them.

::Tef enters the chat::

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I always use washing machine because the Flint Tropics traded a washing machine for Monix

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Houston got a lot of value out of a player who was extremely open about wanting to leave.

They could have got a 2nd round pick and a new washing machine and it would have been a good deal for them.

As a San Antonio fan, I have...feelings about this development.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I still can’t get over sensitive baby Kevin Durant being by far the most stable dweeb in this triumvirate

Good on Houston playing Philly vs Brooklyn to extract way more than a washing machine

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Oh! I remembered the post I wanted to make about the Rockets now that my mind is coming out of the “the Nets are a bunch of moody weirdos” haze

Oladipo, Wall, and Boogie is a pretty stupid triumvirate too if their legs don’t all blow up again. Their 3 games compliment each other and makes this a really strong unit.

And Boogie is on a super cheap contract.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh! I remembered the post I wanted to make about the Rockets now that my mind is coming out of the “the Nets are a bunch of moody weirdos” haze

Oladipo, Wall, and Boogie is a pretty stupid triumvirate too if their legs don’t all blow up again. Their 3 games compliment each other and makes this a really strong unit.

And Boogie is on a super cheap contract.

Yeah it feels like Houston is set up with a solid enough team for right now and prospects for the future.

I’m admittedly not a basketball super fan but I like to watch the occasional game, and it was always so frustrating to hear about how Harden is so toxic and to see Houston get into the playoffs and just crumble over and over. I’m glad they’ve moved on from him at this point - if they couldn’t win with the support he’s had over the last few years, then it isn’t ever going to happen.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I really like the trade for Houston. They have a competitive team that can still get playoff experience (even if they aren't likely to win a championship this year) and get to add younger pieces to that team consistently with the draft picks they've added. Also, it means the Celtics didn't give away the kitchen sink to land Harden which I'm totally in favor of - honestly I don't think Brad Stevens could have successfully coached the personality of Harden well.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Sixers got Kyle Korver back when he was drafted for summer league money and a copy machine. From the nets amusingly enough.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I feel like this trade is worse than the Ben Simmons one that was supposedly on the table. What are the chances that those draft pick lead to a player as good as Simmons, I would think slim. I think that GMs might like trading for boats of picks now because it kind of increases your tenure. "You can't judge me on that trade until all of the picks come through in 2027! Gotta keep me paid until then!"

Also, the Harden fit on Philly would have been so much better ,I would have liked to have seen it.

• Options
    pretty sure houston was never going to trade with morey. was just using the sixers to extract more picks from brooklyn.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I’m wondering how you guys see Houston being good after this.

Like, even take away Harden being toxic to that team, he was still an amazing player, and Houston wasn’t very good with him this year. Now you replace him with post-injury Oladipo and are asking that team to compete in the West? Like, you saw what the Lakers just did to them, right? The best case scenario for them is Oladipo plays well enough to get flipped to a contender later.

As for the draft picks, having more draft capital is nice, but once again you have to use it properly. This new GM group has to prove they can either hit on their late picks (which is what those Nets picks will be) or be willing enough to package them for good players. You can horde all the draft picks you want, but if you never do anything with them (hey Celtics) then what’s the point?

The best thing I can say for Houston is that at least they got something for a player who very clearly wanted out, but this team will be worse now and in the future.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I don't expect them to be competitive after this trade, but they weren't going to do more than make the playoffs and get eliminated with Harden.

But at least now there's hope for the future plus they'll probably use a bunch of draft picks for trades anyway.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021
    No, I don’t think Houston will be good.

But they made the best decision. They got rid of the guy who didn’t want to be there and got a haul of picks in return.they’ve set themselves up nicely for the future

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I always catch myself thinking about Basketball draft picks like draft picks in Football.

Like every year in football the expectation for first and second round picks are to pan out to be starters with one of those first rounders to pan out to periodically be pro bowl level players every few years - and that's for these with shitty draft positions

In the NBA it's considered a feat to have multiple of your second rounders be quality players over a few year period and late first rounders turn out great if they end up being role players.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Indeed. There's a big difference between starters to teams ratio being ~ 1:6 vs. 2:3. Also, average career length being ~ 6-7 years instead of 2-3 years.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    I always catch myself thinking about Basketball draft picks like draft picks in Football.

Like every year in football the expectation for first and second round picks are to pan out to be starters with one of those first rounders to pan out to periodically be pro bowl level players every few years - and that's for these with shitty draft positions

In the NBA it's considered a feat to have multiple of your second rounders be quality players over a few year period and late first rounders turn out great if they end up being role players.

I think it's generally better to have one high draft pick every year than a boatload of late 1st or 2nd rounders in the NBA. However, having more picks does give you expanded trading opportunities, so they're useful right up until the draft itself

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I mean, there are some teams that have proven great with late round picks. The Lakers have absolutely killed their later picks, as have teams like the Raptors and (for a long time) the Spurs. But so many teams aren’t great at drafting that it’s hard for me to put much stock into collecting a lot of those picks.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I know life is unfair and all, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan . . .

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    How do we like this trade for Houston?

John Wall, Victor Oladipo, Boogie - is that a good enough core to do something in the West?

The players they got are good, but more importantly they have a fuck ton of draft picks coming up so they're going to be good for a long time in the future too.

Depends on if they keep those picks. It's probably safe to assume the first few will be middle round picks so it's likely they will be used in trades.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    It's the portland big man curse. Nothing to be done about it besides accept it as a fact of life.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    pretty sure houston was never going to trade with morey. was just using the sixers to extract more picks from brooklyn.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/ky490f/pompey_the_sixers_thought_they_had_a_deal_for/

tada

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

John Wall, Victor Oladipo, Boogie - is that a good enough core to do something in the West?

The players they got are good, but more importantly they have a fuck ton of draft picks coming up so they're going to be good for a long time in the future too.

Depends on if they keep those picks. It's probably safe to assume the first few will be middle round picks so it's likely they will be used in trades.

Me, personally I'm pissed at the Pacers for just giving away Oladipo.

• Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

Me, personally I'm pissed at the Pacers for just giving away Oladipo.

(Caris Lavert is a real good player who fits Indiana’s roster better)

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Oladipo is a free agent next year and he's like 5 years older than Lavert. I think both the Pacers and Cavs did well in this transaction but as a Cavs fan that lives in Indianapolis I'm a little biased.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So Harden got a Triple Double in his first game. How long will this last?

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

The Judge wrote: »
    I know life is unfair and all, but MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN . . .

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Kyrie just did an interview so he's okay thank god

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Kyrie just did an interview so he's okay thank god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kepT-aUY-ag

That is the interview. On one hand, I am interested why he left the team and what he did. On the other hand I love his "none of your business, move on" attitude.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I've always wondered why taller guys who can make shots from that distance using hooks and other post-up shots don't just revert to that form instead of trying to do a standard jump shot.

Or, hell, just revert to the old Rick Barry.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I just want to appreciate the fact that the Nets first game where all of their big 3 were playing was a double OT loss to the Cavs

• Options
    So do we hate the Nets? Or do we like them?

• Options
    I've always wondered why taller guys who can make shots from that distance using hooks and other post-up shots don't just revert to that form instead of trying to do a standard jump shot.

Or, hell, just revert to the old Rick Barry.

because they're embarassed to do it underhand even though it's a lot easier to repeat.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I hated the Nets before it was cool.

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    So do we hate the Nets? Or do we like them?

Just waiting for drama and to see if excellent playoff KD/Kyrie can offset perennial playoff flameout Harden

This discussion has been closed.