Options

who do you want to sell you a CPAP machine?

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    If I'm dreaming does that mean I'm hitting REM sleep?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So, it is already extremely difficult for me to fall asleep on a normal night (I often lay in bed restless for no less than an hour) and the main reason I've not pulled the trigger on the full sleep study and CPAP etc. is that I couldn't even fall asleep for the sleep study the last time I tried one, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to fall asleep with the CPAP. What are my outs?

If you don't feel comfortable with the full electrode-hotel sleep study method, there are home study options available. The unit I used is pretty tiny--about the size of a pack of cards--and straps to your chest. You attach a nasal cannula (to your nose, of course) and O2 monitor to your finger; the chest band itself will measure your breathing action. Between those things, you get a good concept of your pulse, oxygen levels, breathing patterns, REM sleep, and apnea events. The device is given to the doctor, and they analyze it to see how many apnea events you have per hour.

That is what I brought home and spent six hours in bed trying to fall asleep with belted to my chest. I did not fall asleep once, and they told me the device read as me having numerous apneic episodes. I told them I didn't fall asleep at all and their response was basically "sorry the machine knows better than you". And that cost me $800, which is why I've not wanted to do it again.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »

Yes.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I found out how bad I snored when my usual PAX roommate starting sleeping with earplugs in on our 2nd or 3rd trip.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    They actually slapped a CPAP on me halfway through my sleep study. Apparently I was having so many episodes per hour that it was making the technician feel guilty just standing by.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Only if you dream about shiny, happy people holding hands

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yes. It is the only way you can dream.

You dream every night, though often people dont remember their dreams.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yes. It is the only way you can dream.

You dream every night, though often people dont remember their dreams.

I remember my dreams fairly well every night, which is another thing that makes me wonder about sleep apnea because its characteristic is not reaching that. But I dream every night, and it's all one unbroken dream with a story of its own. That's essentially the reason I enjoy sleeping, because of the stories I get to participate in.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Okay, I’m going to lay out some facts because joking or not, some of the posts in this thread are pissing me off.

- sleep apnea is considered a common affliction. A quick google search of ‘what percentage of people have sleep apnea’ lists it as a common affliction in all age groups except for infants. That’s all age groups above the age of 3.
    - 22 million people in the US are estimated to have sleep apnea
    - It’s thought 80% of people with sleep apnea go undiagnosed
    - you can absolutely have sleep apnea and not be overweight. When I was diagnosed I was not overweight and for me it’s a physiological issue (I have a narrow throat/mouth). I’ve had friends whose toddlers and young kids have been diagnosed. Additionally, while the risk of sleep apnea does increase with obesity there’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation in that a) a lack of decent sleep is a big contributor to weight gain (which I have personally experienced, when I was unable to use my CPAP for a few years) and b) a lot of doctors don’t consider sleep apnea or refer someone to a sleep study until someone is overweight

Like, sleep is so important! It affects so many things! Being sleep-deprived or getting poor sleep not only puts you at risk of ill health but also affects cognitive functions, energy levels, your overall ability to function... there’re also many other conditions besides sleep apnea that can affect your sleep levels and it’s just baffling that there’s such a stigma around getting help with sleep. I’ve seen people who are so reluctant or even scared to have a sleep study done. (Sleep studies absolutely do not hurt, btw!) I’ve also seen people who are genuinely insulted at the mere suggestion that they may snore or have sleep apnea.

...and that’s ridiculous. Even if you’re joking when you’d say you’d rather die than use a CPAP machine you’re potentially discouraging people from seeking help when they need it.

First off I want to say I am sorry and I apologize for hurting your feelings. This is genuine.
    I don't think anyone in the history of this forums ever read any of my dumb posts and went, "man this dipshit is legit, I gotta have some of what he is having" though. The crowd in here is too intelligent for that

Thank you <3

I figured you were joking, and you’re right that everyone here is intelligent but... I’ve still seen the stigma persist amongst intelligent people, and I just really want to ensure no one is dissuaded from getting quality sleep. Including you! Please take care of yourself.
    Madican wrote: »
    I snore like a freight train, but when I fall asleep I am dead to the world and don't wake up again until 6 AM or someone approaches my bed. However I rarely wake up "rested" and need to move around to truly wake up. So I'm not sure if I've got sleep apnea or if I need to nail down a solid sleep schedule instead of going to bed "when I'm tired and even then" nonsense I'm currently doing.

Heavy snoring + fatigue is almost guaranteed to be apnea, and it was all the symptoms I needed to give to get referred for a sleep study. Get it checked out if you can!

See, it could be that certainly, my dad has it, but there's also the chance the fatigue is because of my erratic sleep schedule getting anywhere from the full eight to maybe four because I couldn't tear myself away from the keyboard until 2 in the morning. Coupling that with some other symptoms I don't check the box for, I want to nail down a solid sleep schedule first and then if the fatigue persists I can address it further.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Btw, I do get to REM sleep without my cpap... actually, I have way more vivid and nightmarish dreams when I don’t use it, but I’m guessing I could just be hitting a small patch of REM sleep right before I wake? One of the nice side effects of using my cpap is that now I either don’t remember my dreams, or I have more pleasant dreams.

• Options
    Okay, I’m going to lay out some facts because joking or not, some of the posts in this thread are pissing me off.

- sleep apnea is considered a common affliction. A quick google search of ‘what percentage of people have sleep apnea’ lists it as a common affliction in all age groups except for infants. That’s all age groups above the age of 3.
    - you can absolutely have sleep apnea and not be overweight. When I was diagnosed I was not overweight and for me it’s a physiological issue (I have a narrow throat/mouth). I’ve had friends whose toddlers and young kids have been diagnosed. Additionally, while the risk of sleep apnea does increase with obesity there’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation in that a) a lack of decent sleep is a big contributor to weight gain (which I have personally experienced, when I was unable to use my CPAP for a few years) and b) a lot of doctors don’t consider sleep apnea or refer someone to a sleep study until someone is overweight

Like, sleep is so important! It affects so many things! Being sleep-deprived or getting poor sleep not only puts you at risk of ill health but also affects cognitive functions, energy levels, your overall ability to function... there’re also many other conditions besides sleep apnea that can affect your sleep levels and it’s just baffling that there’s such a stigma around getting help with sleep. I’ve seen people who are so reluctant or even scared to have a sleep study done. (Sleep studies absolutely do not hurt, btw!) I’ve also seen people who are genuinely insulted at the mere suggestion that they may snore or have sleep apnea.

...and that’s ridiculous. Even if you’re joking when you’d say you’d rather die than use a CPAP machine you’re potentially discouraging people from seeking help when they need it.

First off I want to say I am sorry and I apologize for hurting your feelings. This is genuine.
    I don't think anyone in the history of this forums ever read any of my dumb posts and went, "man this dipshit is legit, I gotta have some of what he is having" though. The crowd in here is too intelligent for that

Thank you <3

I figured you were joking, and you’re right that everyone here is intelligent but... I’ve still seen the stigma persist amongst intelligent people, and I just really want to ensure no one is dissuaded from getting quality sleep. Including you! Please take care of yourself.
    I snore like a freight train, but when I fall asleep I am dead to the world and don't wake up again until 6 AM or someone approaches my bed. However I rarely wake up "rested" and need to move around to truly wake up. So I'm not sure if I've got sleep apnea or if I need to nail down a solid sleep schedule instead of going to bed "when I'm tired and even then" nonsense I'm currently doing.

Heavy snoring + fatigue is almost guaranteed to be apnea, and it was all the symptoms I needed to give to get referred for a sleep study. Get it checked out if you can!

See, it could be that certainly, my dad has it, but there's also the chance the fatigue is because of my erratic sleep schedule getting anywhere from the full eight to maybe four because I couldn't tear myself away from the keyboard until 2 in the morning. Coupling that with some other symptoms I don't check the box for, I want to nail down a solid sleep schedule first and then if the fatigue persists I can address it further.

Have you tried scheduling your OS to turn on the low blue light setting just before your preferred bedtime? The studies about blue light keeping you awake longer are still kind of iffy, but seeing the screen gently go orange has been a great Pavlovian trigger for me. "You're right, computer, I am pretty tired, now that you mention it."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, remembering your dreams is generally a sign of waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle, rather than having it conclude naturally

So I wouldn't necessarily consider having dreams to be a good indicator of whether or not you're getting uninterrupted sleep

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I very rarely recall my dreams and whenever I do it makes me glad I dont

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Would it have to be a real person?
    Vader could be good. Bonus if the mask looks like his.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    sleep apnea is on my list of things to definitely get checked out if i ever have the money/insurance to

but it is underneath:

getting my ear shit fixed (ongoing? possibly never-ending? number one forever)
    getting some kinda brain therapy (the amount i am spending on my ear is the only barrier here)
    getting some kinda physical therapy for my jacked up left foot (severe plantar fasciitis has me limping a couple days a week)

then i roll the dice between getting my teeth fixed or going through sleep medicine

because this is american healthcare and i cannot afford to fix myself all at once

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Snoop Dog will sell us combination CPAP/Vaporizers to help ensure a better sleep. And Snoop will do anything for a paycheck.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Either I'm only having one or two dreams a year, or I just never remember having them. I also snore like a dragon, according to every roommate I've ever had, my wife, and my immediate family. I wake up fairly rested unless our kid wakes us up at 1:00am.

Maybe I should give this sleep study thing a shot.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Just because you're getting REM sleep doesn't mean you're sleeping well, BTW. Generally you get both REM and stage-3 sleep when you're sleeping well and both are important for your feeling of wellbeing when awake.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Whats the story on dentistry for the moneyless, can I rob the dentist or do I need to rob someone else then give the dentist that money

• Options
    Yeah, I am desperately hoping Medicare for all becomes a reality at some point, and that sleep studies become more affordable for people. :(

My cpap’s over 10 years old at this point; if it breaks I’m in trouble because I don’t have a doctor and couldn’t easily afford another study/machine right now.

Actually... the memory card in mine with my particular settings crapped out, but luckily the machine runs without it and the default settings seem to be working for me, so yay?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Whats the story on dentistry for the moneyless, can I rob the dentist or do I need to rob someone else then give the dentist that money

My last appointment to the dentist they were like "you should come in for two cleanings a year!" and I just wanted to wordlessly gesture at the bill to indicate that this will extremely not be happening, even with my benefits

God we had better be getting some functional level of dentacare

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Check your state dental association's website. They should have a list of free or low-cost dental clinics in your area. Sometimes there are also big free dental care events where a bunch of dentists show up at the fairgrounds and just spend a couple of days working on teeth for little or no money. Although those tend to be more common in rural areas.

Also, for low-income resources in general, http://211.org/ is usually the first place we start looking at the library.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Thank you <3

Have you tried scheduling your OS to turn on the low blue light setting just before your preferred bedtime? The studies about blue light keeping you awake longer are still kind of iffy, but seeing the screen gently go orange has been a great Pavlovian trigger for me. "You're right, computer, I am pretty tired, now that you mention it."

I've got the f.lux program that does it at sunset, though I use that more for reduced eyestrain than anything. It's mainly a matter of me not wanting to stop doing what I'm doing, because if I'm bored I will absolutely just go to bed at the proper time, but when I'm occupied I want to keep going on momentum.
    I very rarely recall my dreams and whenever I do it makes me glad I dont

I love my dreams. There are no nightmares, in the traditional sense anyway, and there's so many stories and worlds I've been to over the nights. I've posted some in the Dream thread before and used to keep a journal. I consider myself a lucid dreamer because I can influence and alter my dreams at will but choose not to in order to let things play out, though sometimes I'll take the reins when things are getting boring.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am desperately hoping Medicare for all becomes a reality at some point, and that sleep studies become more affordable for people. :(

My cpap’s over 10 years old at this point; if it breaks I’m in trouble because I don’t have a doctor and couldn’t easily afford another study/machine right now.

Actually... the memory card in mine with my particular settings crapped out, but luckily the machine runs without it and the default settings seem to be working for me, so yay?

Well... The settings should persist to the machine. If yours is ten years old, usually you would take the card to your physician once a month and have the upload the data so that they could track your treatment. These days, the devices call home via either built in cellular modules or Bluetooth to your phone.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Dreams are funny. It's like your brain decides to write life fan fic while you're not paying attention and then quickly tries to erase it all when you wake up.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I don't remember any dreams I've had for...uh, a while

Is it possible I'm just not getting REM sleep

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Check your state dental association's website. They should have a list of free or low-cost dental clinics in your area. Sometimes there are also big free dental care events where a bunch of dentists show up at the fairgrounds and just spend a couple of days working on teeth for little or no money. Although those tend to be more common in rural areas.

Also, for low-income resources in general, http://211.org/ is usually the first place we start looking at the library.

I am from up north but that is still a lovely post

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Would it have to be a real person?
    Vader could be good. Bonus if the mask looks like his.
    Its only a matter of time before Disney is releasing every conceivable product.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've thought about getting some of those nasal strips

but there is something very pleasurable about laying on one side for a bit and then rolling over to the other side and listening to the snaps and pops of the sinus goop slowly glorping down to the other side and allowing me to breath freely through both nostrils for a few blissful minutes.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    chico what the fuck

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Got a Cpap in 2012.. who cares about dying to sleep apnea? The benefit to the cpap is that you actually sleep

Hadn't realized I haven't been hitting stage 4 rem sleep since I was 17. Once I got used to wearing it, my physical and mental well being got better. Better sleep, more energy during the day, and less early morning depressive episodes

Sleep apnea can kill you, but it won't. It isn't going to save you from living in this shitty world

But canceling out the sleep apnea with a cpap will make your time here less shitty

Shit, Ringo, are you secretly Chris Evans, because I'm very interested in this piece of machinery now

No, Ringo is Ringo, you know, from the Beatles?

Arguably more famous than Chris Evans.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's like everyone on the forums has some sort of nose problem

I also need to get mine checked out

• Options
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Well... The settings should persist to the machine. If yours is ten years old, usually you would take the card to your physician once a month and have the upload the data so that they could track your treatment. These days, the devices call home via either built in cellular modules or Bluetooth to your phone.

Huh, thanks! I could’ve sworn I was told the settings were on the card but of course this was ten years ago and my memory can’t be trusted.
    Platy wrote: »
    It's like everyone on the forums has some sort of nose problem

I also need to get mine checked out

Fucking noses, I swear. My only surgery was for adenoid removal and sinus drainage because my sinuses were three times larger than normal. I used to get killer sinus headaches as a kid. Also any medical or cosmetic person I see has to comment on how impossibly tiny my nasal bridge and cheekbones are. :(

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I've got issues with not getting enough air through my nose and I had a nasty ear infection years ago and things haven't ever been really right since then (it's been difficult to crack my ears ever since)

Also the snoring

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just woke up at midnight because of claw slamming their bedroom door for some reason and now I can't fall back to sleep despite having taken one of my anxiety pills last night which normally puts me out for a good 8 hours.

I did wake up in the middle of a dream about learning to pick locks though?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just woke up at midnight because of claw slamming their bedroom door for some reason and now I can't fall back to sleep despite having taken one of my anxiety pills last night which normally puts me out for a good 8 hours.

go pick some locks see if you got what it takes.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Are you suggesting that my dream actually taught me to pick locks?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

Are you suggesting that my dream actually taught me to pick locks?

obviously!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2020
    I literally will wake up panicked that I've stopped breathing and died.

Then after a second or two I realize I'm alive and t's OK...

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't take any kind of sleep aid though. Not even melatonin.

I'm terrified that I'll sleep too hard and won't wake up if i stop breathing.