As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

14567810»

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think my favourite thing about the chain gun is when you unfurl the turret mode in slow motion while jumping.

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Speaking of VEGA:
    So... we just ditched VEGA on the Makyr world? Like we plugged him in and he asked if he was Father which was certainly ominous but then shit went pear shaped and we had to bail without picking him up. I hope this is addressed in DLC because otherwise that seems like a major dick move.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The purple slime in Doom Eternal is probably the most indefensible thing about it. Most everything else I can see an argument for, even if I don't particularly care for it. But the purple slime just sucks all around!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ...I just had a Marauder commit suicide.

how?

Jumped up into a wall. Then once he was stuck in the wall, he died instantly.

So, uh, that happened.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    ...I just had a Marauder commit suicide.

how?

Jumped up into a wall. Then once he was stuck in the wall, he died instantly.

So, uh, that happened.

He saw all those mean memes online and decided it was too much

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The purple slime in Doom Eternal is probably the most indefensible thing about it. Most everything else I can see an argument for, even if I don't particularly care for it. But the purple slime just sucks all around!

I just don’t get this. It’s like saying platformers shouldn’t have spike pits. It’s just an occasional hazard easily avoidable in most arenas through platforming, and outside of that it’s basically just a bit of variety in a corridor to turn a demon you’ve been wrecking into something scary again. It’s an occasional spice and hardly present in the majority of the game outside of 1 arena and a few corridor sections.

For me it’s about contrasts, you get so used to speed and strength when you land in the goo and you slam to a halt it reminds you of what you had, and makes you desperate to get it back again and avoid losing it. It’s a great way to remind you how powerful you are through that powers very absence. I think it works precisely because it’s so annoying, and yet there is plenty of ways to avoid it and survive inside it. It’s not a death sentence, and if you do die to it you make sure to avoid it when entering the arena again.

It’s just a variant on the floor is lava, adding variety by sapping speed and forcing you to suddenly change tactics or weapons, rather than just a generic health loss. It’s like the areas where walls are electrified, or various other environmental hazards, it forces you to respect enemies you’ve been clowning on for most of the game, just for a bit of change. And then it’s back to clowning on them

Like yeah it sucks, but that’s what it’s supposed to do. It’s supposed to be a weight that you get and then feel better when you tear the weight off and are unleashed again.

Prohass on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's mroe the segments where it's am ajor ongoing thing i dislike it - in arc complex whereit's a sometimes battlehazard, that's interesting. When it's "This entire room is THE BOG" not so much.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I consider those rooms jump scares, normally they put one or two heavies in there that get you because of the surprise, but when you’re ready for them they’re a piece of cake. And after arc complex it’s basically never seen again in corridors or arenas.

I got a bit of a giggle out of the various developer death rooms, where they clearly want you to get hammered by a series of hazards that are cruely placed, but easily bypassed once you know what to expect. Felt very old school. I enjoyed the developers having fun like that, like giving you a bunch of extra lives, then throwing you into a room with two hell knights and electrified walls. It felt like they took the time to craft these things for us, like a wink at the player and a noogie to remind you that someone is here crafting this experience for you and the developers aren’t on autopilot. A less punishing version of the way dark souls will put like a guy behind a door to knock you off a cliff

I can see it frustrating people but to me it felt fun, like the developers took the care to specifically mess with you every now and again. It never felt frequent enough to be annoying. It just felt like part of the games vibe to me.

When you saw the purple you basically immediately switched to your most damage gun and got your grenade and blood punch ready. And if you didn’t have those the game had a little fun at your expense.

I don’t know why but it all felt in good fun to me and broke up the arena combat well. I liked never quite knowing what to expect

Prohass on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I just realized

Boss design
    The Gladiator is straight up an old school Hell Knight in appearance

33zq6fr5r66e.jpeg
    dm9r9t7i0xlp.jpeg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I beat this game
    The boss took way too many shots to kill

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So I just realized

Boss design
    The Gladiator is straight up an old school Hell Knight in appearance

33zq6fr5r66e.jpeg
    dm9r9t7i0xlp.jpeg
    oh, so he is!

that's neat, I kinda wish they'd gone back to something like the older style for hell knights, I'm not a huge fan of the Doom 3 style

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Beat the game. Overall opinion: Very positive, marred by some significant frustration.

Good:
    • Weapons were varied, fun, and useful. The majority of the weapon attachments were valuable or at least fun to use, and managing to get you swapping between 8 weapons and maybe 1-2 mod swaps in individual fights is impressive.
    • Combat was still fast paced as ever, with the systems strongly rewarding you for aggression and for continuously using all your resources.
    • Glory kills and the sheer variety of mayhem you could cause with your weapon attachments were great.
    • Music was excellent.
    • Mobility options were great, including the "we totally played Celeste" dash refills in the air. I wish they had put some of those in combat areas, though.
    • Enemy design was generally great for encouraging weapon variety and adapting to what was on the field, up to the defensive enemies that strongly encouraged using certain weapons but didn't force it.

Bad:
    • The defensive enemies that force you to change playstyles completely (one super heavy enemy type and one boss) are awful and break up the flow of the game tremendously. Additionally, there's just some poor tuning on the super heavy; they stop showing vulnerability when a certain attack is out, but if you use a super shotgun, rocket launcher, or arbalest to kill it (the best weapons to punish), they throw out a punishable attack before you can reload them.
    • Challenges to glory kill enemies in specific ways still suck, doubly so because it feels like this game has a much narrower window between glory kill and just blowing up enemies, and those enemies don't actually tend to be very common in the missions. I think there was a challenge to glory kill pinkies three separate ways in a mission with four total pinkies, and one to do specific glory kills on an archvile and a Tyrant and there was exactly one of each in the whole mission.
    • The final boss is just terrible. Incredibly bullet spongey, far enough away that you can't actually use most of your weapons to hit it, segmented with many of the segments practically unhittable from most of the arena, throwing AoE attacks that feel impossible to see coming while playing normally, and with too high a density of "real" enemy spawns and too low a density of trash mobs for health pickups. In comparison, the boss before it felt pretty close to the best boss of the series.
    • Poor fast travel placement/bugs. Not a huge deal, but I had a couple of bugs with fast travelling screwing up puzzle progression and needing to load from a checkpoint, and some of the fast travel spots were not placed very conveniently for some annoyingly placed collectibles that meant you had to fast travel back to recur them.
    • The Doom Station was really obnoxious to travel around, doubly so if you wanted to go to the Ripatorium and take two giant elevator rides. Plus, it doesn't save progress while you're in the base! You can't unlock a bunch of upgrades in-base (with two tedious, five second animations per upgrade) and leave, you have to enter a mission or it doesn't save!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, when I posted my thoughts on this game I was mostly shitting on it so I forgot to mention one of my favorite things.

I'm usually not a huge fan of when a game requires you to use a specific weapon against specific enemies or whatever, I like the freedom of using my toys when and how I want to. That being said, whoever decided the plasma gun should make plasma shields fucking explode and erase all enemies around it should get a fucking raise. It never stopped being fun.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    q7wxi3-qogdiXIHc.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I liked that fight but I also think this game clicked with me in a way that it doesn't for most people

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    after about the third level I went from hurt me plenty to too young to die and I think that's the way to play if you actually want to feel like a demonic hell pursuer who the demons are afraid of. You are way too squishy.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Last boss is actually not that bad as long as you
    USE
    THE
    CRUCIBLE

don’t do the thing of “but I might need it later”
    There is no later

keep shooting the Icon (preferably with the Unmaykr, but the BFG/Arbalest/Turret mode Chaingun/Rocket launcher are good too), and use the Crucible whenever a heavy gets in your face for more than a few seconds

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I do think they should have foregone the cutesy "OwO Game Is Too Hard For Me, A Baby" type names for the difficulty levels

I know it's what they've been doing forever, but I think this is a game that a lot of folks would have a lot more fun with on a lower difficulty, like I did, and they shouldn't be actively insulted about it

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I do think they should have foregone the cutesy "OwO Game Is Too Hard For Me, A Baby" type names for the difficulty levels

I know it's what they've been doing forever, but I think this is a game that a lot of folks would have a lot more fun with on a lower difficulty, like I did, and they shouldn't be actively insulted about it

But those people are scum, and deserve ridicule /s

(I don't actually believe this, if the /s wasn't enough of an indicator)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    What's odd is that DOOM 3 moved away from the established difficulty names, opting to use military ranks instead, but they brought the classic names back for 2016.

At least the accompanying graphics aren't as demeaning as Wolfenstein's were (Are? I didn't play The New Colossus).

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    New Colossus kept it, I don't recall if Youngblood did

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I finished the final Slayer Gate last night and godDAMN all of those were just some pure distilled VIDEO GAME. Loved them all especially that one where you load in and there's those two giant fuckers and it's like "ok fuck you, ID."

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I finished the final Slayer Gate last night and godDAMN all of those were just some pure distilled VIDEO GAME. Loved them all especially that one where you load in and there's those two giant fuckers and it's like "ok fuck you, ID."

this one made me yell out loud

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I was honestly expecting a handful of marauders in the last slayer gate. Thankfully, that was not the case!

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    I was honestly expecting a handful of marauders in the last slayer gate. Thankfully, that was not the case!

More then one at a time would have been bullshit even for id.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I suspect they tested it and decided it was horseshit

• Options
    Ummm

I’m pretty sure I fought 2 at once in the 5th Slayer Gate

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    If that happened, I’m pretty sure my brain compartmented that shit away

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It's not that I didn't like the last boss because it was hard, I just don't like bosses where the gimmick is that you fight a bunch of regular enemies at the same time.

I really much prefered the bosses in the first game because they were like little puzzles where you had to figure out their attack patterns and then you were good. They were fun.

Closest they got to that in Eternal was the Gladiator, but it kind of loses something when the game stops you and goes HEY THIS IS WHAT THE BOSS IS WEAK TO AND THIS IS HOW YOU BEAT HIM

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    You do fight 2 Marauders at one point, I don't remember when but it fuckin sucked

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm glad the tooltip for Marauders shows the Super Shotgun in use because boy howdy is it obnoxious to try anything else.

• Options
    I'm glad the tooltip for Marauders shows the Super Shotgun in use because boy howdy is it obnoxious to try anything else.

Best approach i've found for marauders is the moment you know one is out - pull out the super shotgun, then the ballista. Now you can just press Q to hotswitch between em.

Moment he goes for a green flash - Ballista to the face, switch, super shotgun, switch, ballista. If you're REALLy good, you can go Ballista (fire conuccssion grenade from EQ launcher), Super shotgun, Ballista (Second grenade), etc and potentially kill him in one cycle, but that's crazy town and i havent done it yet.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Good to know, I just did two super shotgun blasts in a row every time for the initial encounter.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    I one shot Staggered a Revenant on a Meathook swing by shooting him right in his shoulder launchers and it felt SO GOOD.

And I'm on the second to last level and this is the first time I've hated the platforming.

• Options
    Speaking of VEGA:
    So... we just ditched VEGA on the Makyr world? Like we plugged him in and he asked if he was Father which was certainly ominous but then shit went pear shaped and we had to bail without picking him up. I hope this is addressed in DLC because otherwise that seems like a major dick move.
    I assumed that VEGA needed to remain plugged in for you to get back to Earth. At the very least it may be a sequel hook, but I'm definitely sad about it too.

Finished this today, largely enjoyed it even the balance of 2016 was upset a bit. I'm glad I spent my first mastery token on the super shotgun, I basically challenged my inner Rico Rodriguez for the back end of the game, the flame hook was so useful for staying on the move, deleting units and stocking up on armour.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I finished the doom
    fuck this game ruled, FUCK

I love that they squared you off against the Icon again, except this time it's actually a cool fight and not a snoozefest like it was in DOOM 93

the combat is somehow even more kinetic in this game than it was in 2016, I love that they leaned into the insane album cover plot, the destructible enemies are a delight, it's hilarious that they gave doomguy an armblade and its only purpose is to make ripping your enemies to shreds look cooler, turret mode for the chaingun is still the best thing in any shooter

that said I have three complaints

1) marauders suck

2) the ballista is worse than the gun it replaced

3) it's a little weird that they don't explain how the slayer got from the end of doom to the beginning of eternal

Doom 64 spoilers
    I haven't played the new missions, but apparently there are new levels in the Doom 64 port that bridge teh gap between Doom 64 (Where the marine remains in hell to ensure there are no more invasions) and all of the 2016/Eternal stuff.

It's a classic Doom game so it's likely just a bunch of levels and then some text explaining something, but such is life.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    hey uh who decided that Battle Mode shouldn't have a time limit
    because jesus christ it's not fun going up against a slayer you can't kill for 15-20 minutes a round for 4 rounds

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I spent four hours getting past the *second* stage in Ultra Nightmare last night. It's not very well designed. Or maybe the game isn't designed well for it. Having to sit through the unskippable dialogue of the intro, unskippable mini cutscenes for Vega bots, crystals, runes, etc. as you start the game over after every death is painful. Also I kinda forgot I could turn off tutorials until after my forth restart but that's on me.

Some design choices are questionable (the extra lives system is removed and those pick-ups are replaced by Mega Health orbs or blue Mega Armor) but the one that irked me the most is that deaths in Slayer Gates are permanent and count as a stage death instead of kicking you out like they do in other difficulties. I wish there was a text box warning on that. You also can't replay missions to go back and pick up missed items but I was kind of expecting that after playing Extra Life mode.

I don't think I'm going to go back and give that another shot. The Ultra Nightmare milestone is the only campaign one I'm missing but I just wasn't having fun. That and I remember dying a lot on the Cultist Base when I was playing regular Nightmare so I'm know a full restart is just around the corner if I keep pushing forward. The sense of dread is outweighing the potential satisfaction.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D