As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    3600 is the sweet spot right now

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I tried to wrap my head around RAM timings and frequencies. That stuff is complex. Ended up going with 3600 mhz sticks instead of 3000. Almost went 3733, but heard that most systems couldnt push that anyways.

For all but the most hardcore overclocking, you just need to know this: A low CAS latency is usually the most desired (14 is p good), the rest really get into the nitty gritty of memory overclocking.

But unless you're looking to squeeze out points on benchmarks for overclocking competition or you have huge, HUGE workloads that are dependent on RAM speeds, a super low CAS is probably not going to net you any noticeable difference in, say, gaming. Getting 3600 RAM period will net you a decent boost out of the Ryzen line.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yes, for some complicated technical reasons you don't want to go over 3600 with the zen 2 chips, but every increase in speed is a net benefit up to that point. This is true while completely ignoring timings/latency.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    You'll just hit the DOCP profile in the bios and that'll be that, don't worry too much :+1:

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    OK folks, I got a GTX 1070Ti that came with one single, solitary fan. Suffice it to say that the GPU runs hot. I'd like to upgrade the cooling on it before handing it off to family, since I got a new PC to replace this one.

Any recommendations on how to do that and what to buy? I've never done a GPU cooling upgrade, and I'd like to keep the budget around $50 or as close as possible. Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-III-CrossFire/dp/B007YLUCKQ

How do I even know which cooling systems are compatible?

Thanks!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I tried to wrap my head around RAM timings and frequencies. That stuff is complex. Ended up going with 3600 mhz sticks instead of 3000. Almost went 3733, but heard that most systems couldnt push that anyways.

3600 is the recommended speed for Ryzen so you made the right choice.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    OK folks, I got a GTX 1070Ti that came with one single, solitary fan. Suffice it to say that the GPU runs hot. I'd like to upgrade the cooling on it before handing it off to family, since I got a new PC to replace this one.

Any recommendations on how to do that and what to buy? I've never done a GPU cooling upgrade, and I'd like to keep the budget around $50 or as close as possible. Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-III-CrossFire/dp/B007YLUCKQ

How do I even know which cooling systems are compatible?

Thanks!

Before you monkey around with that I'd see if an aggressive fan curve can get the job done. Install MSI Afterburner and then try something like this:

Temp Fan%
    30 40
    45 55
    60 75
    80 100

or play with it yourself, but the 10xx cards default curve is pretty wimpy and they'll run hot if left to their own devices. Incidentally, a GPU can hang out in the 80s under full load without any real risk of damage, and can be in the 70s pretty much forever.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's subjective, but worth noting.
    72okgywvdq1y.png

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Thoughts on a potential upgrade from a GTX 1060 6GB? GTX 1660ti? RTX 2060? Not worth it if I'm only gaming at 1080p?

Also, an R5 3600 is going to be an improvement over my current i5 4690k, right? I dont think I ever asked that, now that I think about it...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would wait for the next series of Nvidia cards before upgrading your GPU.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Thoughts on a potential upgrade from a GTX 1060 6GB? GTX 1660ti? RTX 2060? Not worth it if I'm only gaming at 1080p?

Also, an R5 3600 is going to be an improvement over my current i5 4690k, right? I dont think I ever asked that, now that I think about it...

The GPU part is all what you're willing to spend. A 2060 will probably never dip much below 60 fps (I'm using one in 1440p), but other than that it's kind of "eh" and the RTX implementation is fairly weak, but kinda neat. DLSS 2.0 however is super cool.

Please note, that EVGA does what's called the "Step up" program, where if the new hotness comes out within 90 days of your purchase you can send the card back, pay the difference, and get the newness. It's definitely recommended that you have some other GPU during this since you send it out first, go through the entire process, and then they ship the new one back out.

The CPU part, yeah it'll be an improvement. You're getting 2 more CPU cores and 8 more CPU threads, something modern games are starting to use (Horizon Zero Dawn, for instance, plays faster with a 6c/12t CPU than an 8c/8t CPU, given equal GPU's.)

jungleroomx on
  • Options

The GPU part is all what you're willing to spend. A 2060 will probably never dip much below 60 fps (I'm using one in 1440p), but other than that it's kind of "eh" and the RTX implementation is fairly weak, but kinda neat. DLSS 2.0 however is super cool.

Please note, that EVGA does what's called the "Step up" program, where if the new hotness comes out within 90 days of your purchase you can send the card back, pay the difference, and get the newness. It's definitely recommended that you have some other GPU during this since you send it out first, go through the entire process, and then they ship the new one back out.

The CPU part, yeah it'll be an improvement. You're getting 2 more CPU cores and 8 more CPU threads, something modern games are starting to use (Horizon Zero Dawn, for instance, plays faster with a 6c/12t CPU than an 8c/8t CPU, given equal GPU's.)

I am curious to find out how well it will run on a 16c/32t cpu.

• Options

If this is an unforced upgrade, wait about 2-3 months and pick from the new generation (or harvest suddenly much cheaper 2080 Supers like ripe, fresh corn)

• Options
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've got a sibling looking to buy a laptop for running Vectorworks. What sort of specs should I be looking out for her? The only thing she could tell me concretely is that 64 gigs is a good idea, and that the beefier the videocard the better. Are there breakpoints in its performance or should I just treat this as speccing out a gaming laptop and leave it at that?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Gaming-focused hardware is probably not ideal for that use case. My understanding is that gaming still prioritizes speed (of CPU, memory, etc.) and single-core performance, while CAD and similar work prioritize having multiple cores and tons of RAM.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Gaming-focused hardware is probably not ideal for that use case. My understanding is that gaming still prioritizes speed (of CPU, memory, etc.) and single-core performance, while CAD and similar work prioritize having multiple cores and tons of RAM.

The RAM is true but the cores varies based on the program. I know Solidworks struggles to make use of additional cores. Don't know about Vectorworks though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

If this is an unforced upgrade, wait about 2-3 months and pick from the new generation (or harvest suddenly much cheaper 2080 Supers like ripe, fresh corn)

Will there be a new card in that range in the next 2-3 months? I was under the impression that the cheaper cards come out significantly after the serious enthusiast cards.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I've got a sibling looking to buy a laptop for running Vectorworks. What sort of specs should I be looking out for her? The only thing she could tell me concretely is that 64 gigs is a good idea, and that the beefier the videocard the better. Are there breakpoints in its performance or should I just treat this as speccing out a gaming laptop and leave it at that?

I did a bit of googlling and it looks like cpu core count is more important than clock speed, gpu performance is important, and that ram is important up to a threshold and then it doesn't have much of a benefit.

According to this site, 16 gigs is a sweet spot. 64 is going to be overkill and you're going to have a hard or impossible time finding a laptop with more than 32 anyhow.

It should have an SSD and not a spinner.

For laptop processors, AMD's most recent 4000 series ryzen 9 looks to be the best performance for multithreaded tasks; it outperforms intel's 'faster' chips because of heat reasons. The only challenge will be finding a laptop that has one.

For GPUs, team green is winning on perf and power/heat.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, tbh, you're probably going to be paying through the nose for a work station tier laptop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    could someone help me find a cost effective computer that can play civ VI? I want the basic run, not top of line stuff. a pre built is fine. hp, dell, ?. I am open to ideas, but end goal is just to play civ 6. I have keyboard, mouse, monitor. thanks in advance.

Recommended specs are an i5 and 8gb of ram, so that's a good start point for shopping.

What would you like to spend max?

1k and under is my price range.
    Tarantio wrote: »
    More specifically, the reccomended specs were a 2.5 GHz i5 (so, maybe from 2009).

Edit: Based on the reccomended specs here: https://www.pcgamer.com/you-wont-need-a-burly-system-to-run-civilization-6/

And the GPU comparison here: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7970.c296

The first system with a GPU that doesn't have less performance than that recommendation on https://www.logicalincrements.com/ is the Modest build, upgraded to 8GB of RAM. That has plenty of CPU and GPU performance in excess of the recommended specs, and the Entry build below it is significantly less powerful than reccomended.

If you have more room in your budget (and aren't interested in more graphically intensive games/resolutions) then an SSD would definitely be a upgrade worth looking in to.

These are great words. Were can I go to build my own pc and have it shipped to me. assuming I can get enough which does not sound like much.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    could someone help me find a cost effective computer that can play civ VI? I want the basic run, not top of line stuff. a pre built is fine. hp, dell, ?. I am open to ideas, but end goal is just to play civ 6. I have keyboard, mouse, monitor. thanks in advance.

Civ VI runs on my XPS13 ultrabook. Not super well, but it runs. Anything with a Core i5 or Ryzen 5 will do the trick, and you don’t need a metric ton of GPU to have a decent experience. Just have at least 8GB of ram. I’d look for something with an i5, GTX 1650, and 8GB of ram as a baseline.

The problem on the current laptop I have it seems is lack of direct x.

---

looks like logical increments is what I need. Thank you, now to wait for a month to get paid.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    I strongly question the need for laptops in general for most people who end up getting them. They fill a particular niche where in most cases a normal desktop or even mini-PC would be better, even for people who travel a lot.

This is especially true for people who want beefy laptops like gaming machines or workstations. You are not going to get that 17" monstrosity up and running to play Doom Eternal on an airplane tray table, and you certainly won't be able to use a mouse while playing it even if you manage to open it up without pissing off your neighbors.

The vast majority of people would do better with a tablet or a 2-in-1 like a Surface.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Will there be a new card in that range in the next 2-3 months? I was under the impression that the cheaper cards come out significantly after the serious enthusiast cards.

I have no idea, tbh, but there is apparently the prospect of serious competition for Nvidia, so that might accelerate their schedule idk?

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, tbh, you're probably going to be paying through the nose for a work station tier laptop.

Wouldn't surprise me, and unfortunately it's not a $5000 budget. :) Just trying to get a feel for what the right tradeoffs are.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    so I was looking for companies you can get a custom compouter built online. which ones are ok?
    google search:

Which custom PC builder is best?
    The 10 Best Custom PC Builders You Need To Know
    CyberPowerPC.
    Digital Storm.
    Falcon Northwest.
    iBuyPower.
    Maingear.
    Origin PC.
    Puget Systems.
    Xidax.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Recommended specs are an i5 and 8gb of ram, so that's a good start point for shopping.

What would you like to spend max?

1k and under is my price range.
    More specifically, the reccomended specs were a 2.5 GHz i5 (so, maybe from 2009).

Edit: Based on the reccomended specs here: https://www.pcgamer.com/you-wont-need-a-burly-system-to-run-civilization-6/

And the GPU comparison here: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7970.c296

The first system with a GPU that doesn't have less performance than that recommendation on https://www.logicalincrements.com/ is the Modest build, upgraded to 8GB of RAM. That has plenty of CPU and GPU performance in excess of the recommended specs, and the Entry build below it is significantly less powerful than reccomended.

If you have more room in your budget (and aren't interested in more graphically intensive games/resolutions) then an SSD would definitely be a upgrade worth looking in to.

These are great words. Were can I go to build my own pc and have it shipped to me. assuming I can get enough which does not sound like much.
    wunderbar wrote: »

Civ VI runs on my XPS13 ultrabook. Not super well, but it runs. Anything with a Core i5 or Ryzen 5 will do the trick, and you don’t need a metric ton of GPU to have a decent experience. Just have at least 8GB of ram. I’d look for something with an i5, GTX 1650, and 8GB of ram as a baseline.

The problem on the current laptop I have it seems is lack of direct x.

---

looks like logical increments is what I need. Thank you, now to wait for a month to get paid.

Their sub 1000 pc is very similar to mine, down to the 5600xt and mobo. Except I have 16gb of ram and a 3600 instead.

If you go with their path, I think you would be fine with a 3600 over a 3600x and save yourself a little money

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Looks like the 3GHz Ryzen parts are sold out everywhere, leaving the 2.3 GHz base clock parts for their latest laptop CPUs. :/

• Options
    Oh man, I'm gonna need thermal paste? Does the quality matter? Is there a brand that I should stay away from?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm gonna need thermal paste? Does the quality matter? Is there a brand that I should stay away from?

You can just use the stuff that comes with whatever cooler you get. It'll be fine.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    so I was looking for companies you can get a custom compouter built online. which ones are ok?
    google search:

Which custom PC builder is best?
    The 10 Best Custom PC Builders You Need To Know
    CyberPowerPC.
    Digital Storm.
    Falcon Northwest.
    iBuyPower.
    Maingear.
    Origin PC.
    Puget Systems.
    Xidax.

There's discussion along the lines of what you're asking about in this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/236090/buying-a-premade-gaming-machine/p1

You can throw Falcon Northwest out to start (price range issues).

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

You can just use the stuff that comes with whatever cooler you get. It'll be fine.

Yeah, I was just going to stick with the cooler that came with the cpu.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm also ~10 mins from a MicroCenter, it is quite dangerous...

How you think I ended up with my new pc?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I'm also ~10 mins from a MicroCenter, it is quite dangerous...

How you think I ended up with my new pc?

Same!!

• Options
    My brother is WFH with his wife and they are trying to put together the proper setup. He's got a super ancient small HP that he's been trying to make work, but he's been frustrated. He's not really willing to spend money to fix the problem because "work is buying me a laptop" but there's no set schedule when the hardware will arrive.

My SIL is willing to spend some money for a proper solution. I have some ideas but I'm looking for some help. Here are their requirements:
    • No set budget but I will say under $600 US
    • Must support at least 2 monitors, with potential for three
    • Wifi or ethernet (this one is easy)
    • It's only a work machine, so as simple as possible
    • He has KBAM and I can work with them to get the monitors figured out
    • They are not techies, but I can help with some minor tech support
    • Since they're at home, I'm leaning toward a desktop. A laptop isn't out of the question, but I think the number of monitors and budget makes a laptop an unlikely solution. I couldn't find out for certain, but I'm pretty sure the machine my brother used/uses in the office is a desktop (I believe due to security concerns, he can't bring the office setup home - he works in finance)
    • No timeline; I'm giving her some options at this point

I've been looking at prebuilt HPs and Lenovos as potential options, with the possibility to add a 1050 Ti or 1650 later for triple monitor (I'm getting mixed messages whether the PSUs that ship with them can handle a GPU, even if it doesn't need external power). I can't figure out if the All-In-Ones that are contained in a monitor but have a number of USB 3.1 slots could be options(?).

I'm throwing together some potential builds myself, but the budget is tough. I'd be willing to look into the used market, but I know they would worry about the reliability of it as a work machine.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The psu's in lower end prebuilt pc's like that are in the 240w-300w range.

That's just what i've seen when I attempted to buy a cheap prebuilt to throw a decent gpu into a while back.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My brother is WFH with his wife and they are trying to put together the proper setup. He's got a super ancient small HP that he's been trying to make work, but he's been frustrated. He's not really willing to spend money to fix the problem because "work is buying me a laptop" but there's no set schedule when the hardware will arrive.

My SIL is willing to spend some money for a proper solution. I have some ideas but I'm looking for some help. Here are their requirements:
    • No set budget but I will say under $600 US
    • Must support at least 2 monitors, with potential for three
    • Wifi or ethernet (this one is easy)
    • It's only a work machine, so as simple as possible
    • He has KBAM and I can work with them to get the monitors figured out
    • They are not techies, but I can help with some minor tech support
    • Since they're at home, I'm leaning toward a desktop. A laptop isn't out of the question, but I think the number of monitors and budget makes a laptop an unlikely solution. I couldn't find out for certain, but I'm pretty sure the machine my brother used/uses in the office is a desktop (I believe due to security concerns, he can't bring the office setup home - he works in finance)
    • No timeline; I'm giving her some options at this point

I've been looking at prebuilt HPs and Lenovos as potential options, with the possibility to add a 1050 Ti or 1650 later for triple monitor (I'm getting mixed messages whether the PSUs that ship with them can handle a GPU, even if it doesn't need external power). I can't figure out if the All-In-Ones that are contained in a monitor but have a number of USB 3.1 slots could be options(?).

I'm throwing together some potential builds myself, but the budget is tough. I'd be willing to look into the used market, but I know they would worry about the reliability of it as a work machine.

Any thoughts?

Not quite sure I understand the use cases here.

Are you building something for both your brother and his wife? Or just his wife?
    Will they both use it? Who uses it if they both need it at the same time?
    Does their solution need to support some kind of VPN/encryption for work? (some of these require actual hardware to implement, and an IT department that will let you connect to their system in the first place)
    What work do they do? What will they use it for?
    When your brother gets his laptop from work, will he use it exclusively for himself?

• Options
    Just my brother. His wife grabbed her gear from work. I have no idea how he connects. My understanding is it's a software VPN, especially since he's using an old desktop he already had at home.

No idea about the laptop thing. I don't know if that solution will ever come to fruition.

He works in finance, I think it's basically managing various funds (but not hedge funds). She works in medical, if that matters (see first paragraph)

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Why is his work not buying him the computer and other equipment necessary to do his job?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Apparently they are waiting for it to come in(?). I'm getting this through a game of telephone. I'm guessing laptop hardware is out of stock at distributors and so here we are.

I don't want to ask these kinds of questions because I don't care that much. I'm just looking at the immediate problem

Mugsley on
This discussion has been closed.