As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I always thought it was obvious that Elemental point value was hilariously broken game balance. Like... no other unit in the game has that sort of tonnage to weapon efficiency.
    People deify the Urbanmech because it's an adorable trashcan underdog.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I always thought it was obvious that Elemental point value was hilariously broken game balance. Like... no other unit in the game has that sort of tonnage to weapon efficiency.

Maybe threes something fundamentally wrong with me, but the Urban mech has never ever gotten that under dog vibe for me since I look at it and just see how you could do better with another tool:
    1. If you're concerned about price then just use vehicles
    2. If you need a light mech that's tough and can do direct fire support get a panther which is objectively better in every way.
    3. If you need to guard a point just get a turret.

It's like the crypto currency of mechs.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    It's not an underdog because it's GOOD.
    It's an underdog because it's a wee egg with legs.
    hsp419qi2olo.png

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Like I understand the Memes.

I just find them so omnipresent and with so many people trying to argue all of it's positive traits without acknowledging all of it's dog shit problems.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Maybe threes something fundamentally wrong with me, but the Urban mech has never ever gotten that under dog vibe for me since I look at it and just see how you could do better with another tool:
    2. If you need a light mech that's tough and can do direct fire support get a panther which is objectively better in every way.

The job of the Urbanmech is in the name. It didn't need high movement to patrol urban areas. The minimum range on the PPC makes the Panther unsuited to short range urban fighting. A turret cannot patrol an area. A mech is not susceptible to being easily made combat ineffective in an urban environment by motive damage like a tank.

It's not the poor guy's fault some like to stick them in the middle of an open field a mile from the battle and then point and laugh.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Also can I just point out how hilarious it is that people people deify the urbie when you can field a full star of elementals with flamers for 320 points, and each of those points can:
    • fire off a single SRM 2 (so ten missiles for 20 damage)
    • Flamer you (5 shots means either 10 damage, 10 heat or terrible things to infantry and ICE vehicles
    • melee you (upwards of 10 damage and I'm not entirely sure how easily a mech can actually fight off forces once grappled)
    That's per 64 BV unit, a squad of 5 of these fuckers will eat any mech that they can get up against and I'm pretty sure even 3150 mechs can't handle a build up of 50 heat in a single turn.

Like christ, the inner sphere took the threat of battle armor so seriously that the Combine went and built this fucker:
    707px-apfu4om6iwawiztpac5o4hbhs3zne3r.png?timestamp=20110118203130
    The Komodo is expressly built to kill elementals which it does exceedingly well; 10 medium lasers will delete a full point per round, the 2 AMS will shred SRMS, it's 5/8/5 keeps it out of the danger zone, ECM because their was empty space I guess and if it just doesn't feel like engaging because the pilot has gorged himself too heavily on elementals already that's fine because he has TAG so artillery teams can yeet some arrow IVs.

Fuckin' Plog, man. I really like his work. IIRC he got in just under the wire and officially started on Battletech when it was still by FASA, which might make him my favorite line artist from the original era. He worked through a time when artist's weren't yet being encouraged to redesign the more... unfortunate mechs, but he still managed to make them look good more often than not. The original Komodo art wasn't too bad, but it certainly wasn't a very aesthetically pleasing mech. Plog's illustration above makes it look kinda bad ass.
    iy99dqufhb61.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

The job of the Urbanmech is in the name. It didn't need high movement to patrol urban areas. The minimum range on the PPC makes the Panther unsuited to short range urban fighting. A turret cannot patrol an area. A mech is not susceptible to being easily made combat ineffective in an urban environment by motive damage like a tank.

It's not the poor guy's fault some like to stick them in the middle of an open field a mile from the battle and then point and laugh.

Vehicles like the Hetzer can absolutely do the same job and are cheaper to boot.
    The panther's minimum range is a non issue since it can just jump to reposition.
    A turret plunked down on an objective is something you are going to have to deal with and since it doesn't have to worry about moving it's going to have more firepower and armor then the crapcan.

The only reason to use the urbanmech is because you literally don't have any other options imho (Like hell, you might get more bang for your buck by dropping the mech entirely and dumping those points into having a better pilots for your other mechs)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    To be honest I only like the Urbanmech thanks to MWO. It was my first bought mech pack in the game and found it to be quite fun. Never played one in BT so I can understand both sides of the argument about it. I also play games for fun and not really worry about maxing my potential so probably wouldn't field a tank, turret or Panther instead.

Edit: Now if I was playing with others I would probably pick a different mech if the others wanted to win rather than just play fantasy robots.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Panther looks dumb, Urbie looks adorable. Easy win to Urbanmech

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah the problem with the Urbie is that jump jets solve basically all the same problems without making any sacrifices.

Plus you can always just use the older, slower 'mechs you can't afford to upgrade anyway.

The meme is because MWO loves anything that shouldn't be allowed to equip some kind of AC-20 yet somehow does anyway

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Something I only learned playing Grinders, starting from Lights and going up:

And UrbanMech is legitimately dangerous to most other light 'Mechs. Do not underestimate the ability to rip a 10-point hole in something at those sizes.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Going by battle value, could a gunline of urbies take down a Timberwolf assuming pilots of equal ability?
    Baseline, that's 2,737 for the Timberwolf, 504 for each Urbie.

So, that'd be 5 urban mechs at 2520 (217 point disadvantage).

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    see317 wrote: »
    Going by battle value, could a gunline of urbies take down a Timberwolf assuming pilots of equal ability?

Yes because the Timberwolf can easily stay out of range of the Urbies and still make full use of 2xLRM-20 + 2xERLLs

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Tox wrote: »

Yes because the Timberwolf can easily stay out of range of the Urbies and still make full use of 2xLRM-20 + 2xERLLs

That is the smart way. But at a forced medium range, the Timberwolf will on average still kill all the Urbies.

Assuming 7 hex distance, 3 Gunnery pilots, and +2 move modifiers total, and the Timberwolf trying to be heat neutral.

The Urbies can fire the AC and move without heat. The Timberwolf I would likely alternate 1xMPL, 2xERML, 2xLRM20 and 1xMPL, 1xERML, 1xERLL, 2xLRM20 as with walking that would be 30.5 heat per turn and it can sink 30. For average 2D6 rolls, that means the 5 Urbies can do on average 29 damage per turn and the Timberwolf can average 36 damage per turn (assuming 12pt average dmg for each of the LRMs). That will drop to 24 damage per turn as the Timberwolf will have to trade shooting 2xLRM20 for 1xERLL at turn 7 due to running out of ammo.

I'm just going to assume CT kills only for simplicity. Urbanmech has 11 armor and 10 structure in the CT, the Timberwolf has 36 armor and 23 structure. Factoring in the chance to hit the CT, that means the Timberwolf can kill an Urbie every 3.5 turns on average to start. That means the group of Urbies also loses 5-6 points of damage output every 3.5 turns and every 5.25 turns at turn 7 (3 Urbies left). So the Timberwolf can kill all 5 Urbies after 22.75 turns but the Urbies will have run out of ammo at turn 10, leaving the Timberwolf with 20 points of CT structure.

edit: to account for ammo use

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

That is the smart way. But at a forced medium range, the Timberwolf is statistically likely be an even match the Urbies.

Assuming 7 hex distance, 3 Gunnery pilots, and +2 move modifiers total, and the Timberwolf trying to be heat neutral.

The Urbies can fire and move without heat. The Timberwolf I would likely alternate 1xMPL, 2xERML, 2xLRM20 and 1xMPL, 1xERML, 1xERLL, 2xLRM20 as with walking that would be 30.5 heat per turn and it can sink 30. For average 2D6 rolls, that means the 5 Urbies can do on average 29 damage per turn and the Timberwolf can average 36 damage per turn (assuming 12pt average dmg for each of the LRMs). That will drop to 24 damage per turn as the Timberwolf will have to trade shooting 2xLRM20 for 1xERLL at turn 7 due to running out of ammo.

I'm just going to assume CT kills only for simplicity. Urbanmech has 11 armor and 10 structure in the CT, the Timberwolf has 36 armor and 23 structure. Factoring in the chance to hit the CT, that means the Timberwolf can kill an Urbie every 3.5 turns on average. That means the group of Urbies also loses 5-6 points of damage output every 3.5 turns and every 5.25 turns at turn 7. So the Timberwolf can kill all 5 Urbies after 22.75 turns and have an average of -0.3 points of CT structure left. That is, the last Urbie and the Timberwolf kill each other on the last turn.

Hell you don't even need to pop center with the urbanmech; if they lose their right arm they're basically done.

• Options
    Sure, but destroying the right arm would be statistically within half a turn of the CT kill, same for removing the right torso. I didn't want to do the math for every scenario.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Played a lovely succession wars era introtech game in which my opponent’s Banshee through-armor ammo crit my Thunderbolt’s LRM bin, cockpit splattered my Marauder, and survived with a damaged engine and gyro, passing MANY piloting checks. Fuckin CHAD.

We also tried randomizing two identical rosters of pilots to pull from and that ended up being a fun little twist.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Okay, so for anyone not paying attention to such things: the new Premium Hammerhead model from CGL had a master-mold error, and CGL is now addressing it:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/update-on-hammerhead-miniature-issue/

The first two solutions are weird, right? "Buy an unrelated model, get a replacement part" and "buy a second-run version of the same model" seem like strange options to leverage when "email the manufacturer for a replacement" is sitting right there.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nips wrote: »
    Okay, so for anyone not paying attention to such things: the new Premium Hammerhead model from CGL had a master-mold error, and CGL is now addressing it:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/update-on-hammerhead-miniature-issue/

The first two solutions are weird, right? "Buy an unrelated model, get a replacement part" and "buy a second-run version of the same model" seem like strange options to leverage when "email the manufacturer for a replacement" is sitting right there.

The first one isn't so weird to me. Some toy companies do that with replacement parts to save on shipping (usually when they ask you to pay for shipping). The second got me to raise my eyebrow a bit. Especially since they're giving extra parts for the second run? I mean why do they give away extra stuff for those who are not buying a mistake?

The third sounds normal, and like you said why wouldn't everyone just choose this option?

I don't understand their logic here past just offering a free replacement and extra limbs as an apology?

Edit: Wonder if I'll have to contact them for sending you a gift one nips? Or are you going with option 2? Hahaha.

Edit 2: I love how they did not email everyone who bought one. Instead posted it to a website and let the word of mouth spread the news.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    @Betsuni I'm guessing, presumably, because they don't know who got the bad sculpts, as it was only 25% of the manufactured lot. There's been plenty of discussion about it on the official boards and the Facebook groups, so it's a pretty widely-known situation at this point. CGL also blasted this message out across the Facebook groups, so I'm confident mostly everyone that needs to see it will.

As for the one currently on the bench: It's got the layer line error, but honestly it's not a huge deal to me. I've already got primer+basecoat+wash on it, and while you can still see it, I don't feel it detracts from the model all that much.

• Options
    Ah ok, so the error might not be as bad as I think it is.

Are there photos of it so I can check the two bagged ones to see if they are also mistakes?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The Hammerhead in render. Notice the top surfaces of the torso.
    Battletech-Hammerhead-Premium-Miniature.jpg

The Hammerhead model close-up. Notice the striations/layer lines.
    doaagtih.jpg

Sorry for the ever-so-slightly out of focus shots, trying to macro this on a pinch wasn't perfect. Like I mentioned, at arm's length/tabletop distance I don't know that I'd notice these, but they're definitely there.

• Options
    Ooooh ok. Looks like a 3d print rather than a polished piece. I can't really look too closely on my phone since you use Imgr but I can see something there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Yeah, it's definitely the case that their 3D printed master model(s) weren't printed with settings to alleviate the print lines, and that defect made it into the master mold(s).

Nips on
  • Options
    I went and checked mine. Yep, both have those lines. I'll have to think about if I want to email them or just say screw it and go with the lines.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You might be able to sand those out

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Just say it's residue from a zimmerit coating it had for a prior mission.
    Zimmerit_Tiger_II_2_Bovington.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Just say it's residue from a zimmerit coating it had for a prior mission.
    [img]http s://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Zimmerit_Tiger_II_2_Bovington.jpg[/img]

"You where worried about magnetic mines attaching to the top of your mech?
    "There were bridges, sir.
    "...bridges?
    "They could have hung the mines from strings...

• Options
    You might be able to sand those out

They're very small, in very tight spaces, and the plastic is on the softer side. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, and I've seen at least one person on Facebook say they will, but as I see it HOLY SHIT am I not going anywhere near that.

I'm going to stick with what I know, and what I know is Stormcrows.

P1pU8PMl.jpeg

Yaaaaa boooooyyyyeeeeee! The arms came out so good! This upstanding Society warrior-scientist is gonna fuck some people up.

The Murder Grows!

UGxIDkBl.jpeg

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    The Hammerhead in render. Notice the top surfaces of the torso.
    Battletech-Hammerhead-Premium-Miniature.jpg

The Hammerhead model close-up. Notice the striations/layer lines.
    doaagtih.jpg

Sorry for the ever-so-slightly out of focus shots, trying to macro this on a pinch wasn't perfect. Like I mentioned, at arm's length/tabletop distance I don't know that I'd notice these, but they're definitely there.

unpainted they look pretty bad
    Cv2KKbH.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So I'm reading Empire Alone, not too far in (pg. 47 of 143), and it's not thrilling me like Tamar Rising so far (it's fine, just not as dynamic and crazy as the former Jade Falcon OZ), until I hit this bit about FWL forces in the Clan Protectorate:

X0YwOXxl.jpeg

Goddamn! You have my full attention, book!

Nips on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Seafox Yutani

'You know, we manufactor those'.

I thought super heavies were impracticle and too expensive for what they did?

Or has part of that been solved by the Ilkhan time?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Nought wrote: »
    Seafox Yutani

Looking at the loadouts on Sarna, they carry a lot of guns, but they don't carry them fast, most of them can be outpaced by an Urbie.
    I don't know how useful they'd be as mechs, but as nearly-static defenses, I bet they'd work out fine.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Seems like Blaine Lee Pardoe is no longer working on Battletech stuff. I'm not exactly familiar with him and his work, but I do know that there were some, uh, confederate elements in his writing. There's a lot of rage around this whole thing, and I'm having some trouble parsing what's up. Anyone have a clear eyed take on it?

Edit: So my state has a BT discord, and turns out the writer for the most recent book, "A Question of Survival", is in it, and is engaging. One of the people in the Discord has been ranting about the woke mob since the announcement, and the author is engaging him directly. This could be interesting.

AvalonGuard on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    At the very least it probably means Clan Wolf will stop winning all the time.

Nought wrote: »
    Seafox Yutani

Stone gave some to the Davions and told them they were a "nightmare" to maintain. So, probably not.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Seems like Blaine Lee Pardoe is no longer working on Battletech stuff. I'm not exactly familiar with him and his work, but I do know that there were some, uh, confederate elements in his writing. There's a lot of rage around this whole thing, and I'm having some trouble parsing what's up. Anyone have a clear eyed take on it?

Edit: So my state has a BT discord, and turns out the writer for the most recent book, "A Question of Survival", is in it, and is engaging. One of the people in the Discord has been ranting about the woke mob since the announcement, and the author is engaging him directly. This could be interesting.

Pardoe is full throated MAGA so I’m guessing Catalyst decided they didn’t want to have that hanging over their work.

Looks like that’s the reason: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/statement-regarding-blaine-lee-pardoe/?PHPSESSID=0ens50ktnfs4vdmefp9ti4p50i

If you want examples look up his twitter

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    If someone is ranting about the “woke mob,” it makes it real easy to determine which is the correct side of the conflict.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

Pardoe is full throated MAGA so I’m guessing Catalyst decided they didn’t want to have that hanging over their work.

Looks like that’s the reason: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/statement-regarding-blaine-lee-pardoe/?PHPSESSID=0ens50ktnfs4vdmefp9ti4p50i

If you want examples look up his twitter

There is also scuttlebutt about transphobic comments, but despite me trying to drill down on the incident(s) I can't come up with a solid example. The full-blooded right wing conspiracist diatribe is at maximum effect, however, and that's enough for me to right him off. I can only stomach looking at an absolute goose's Twitter garbage for so long.

By the by, CGL's separation from BLP has been ongoing for at least a year, based on what I've read. This is just the culmination of it all.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Just saw a mention that apparently his (Creative Juggernaut) company’s agreement with Catalyst had fallen apart a while ago and CJ has started working on a competitor to Battletech, which might be contributing.

Also apparently he was rather vocal with his viewpoints in the office when he went in to work

• Options
    Checked put his twitter and its several days about complaining how words arent supposed to change meanings, which coming from a writer, lol, lmao, things of that nature

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg