As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    My inner spreadsheet warrior got the better of me, I updated the trade sheet to alert us if there is a possible trade available. I know when I get my wave 1 stuff, I'll be updating which ones I want to offload on some sucker... err, fellow Oosik.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kRrSuOPCb-NkCHMVEfOSoy4CyQK-lVdkO_1wEtQ8CQ8/edit#gid=1778188692

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna have to start coming up with some ideas for replacements for the 'mechs I don't think I'm gonna get from trades. Dragons sure are awfully popular! As are Centurions, but that's not really surprising, and I can easily swap an Enforcer into that slot. Then I just gotta figure out what I wanna do with the Trebuchet.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I updated my column on the sheet, but as I told Tox in pms the other day, now that Wave 2 could be open to change through another holiday season, I might just end up being able to get the remaining mech packs with whatever gift money I have coming. So mine may change again before all is said and done.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I still need to sit down and fill out that spreadsheet and also figure out what is coming my way.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    @Nips did you get my PM?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The FedSun Express barge should be entering high orbit with my goodies by Thursday.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I think all of our cargo was lost to the Jade Falcons during the withdrawal, because we have no contact whatsoever with the fleet.

Now... to find the nearest Ghost Bears and take their shit...

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So I cracked open the Fortress dropship Hydro sent me and...man.

Pros: The exterior detail on the parts is really good. There's some surface defects, but they're very minor, mostly easily fixed.

Cons: The fit of the parts is really not great! Like none of the hull, legs, or ramp plates sits flush on a dry fit check. The legs and their armored covers are clearly intended to occupy the same spot (using one or the other to show legs deployed or retracted) but the picture supplied shows using both at once, which they're not molded for. And as previously noted, the mating between the upper and lower hulls is just bad.

Once I'm done with this Roughneck, I'm going to have to go all "This Old Dropship" on this kit.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    So I cracked open the Fortress dropship Hydro sent me and...man.

Pros: The exterior detail on the parts is really good. There's some surface defects, but they're very minor, mostly easily fixed.

Cons: The fit of the parts is really not great! Like none of the hull, legs, or ramp plates sits flush on a dry fit check. The legs and their armored covers are clearly intended to occupy the same spot (using one or the other to show legs deployed or retracted) but the picture supplied shows using both at once, which they're not molded for. And as previously noted, the mating between the upper and lower hulls is just bad.

Once I'm done with this Roughneck, I'm going to have to go all "This Old Dropship" on this kit.

Ahhh, I see Hydro's plan to offload the clunker. Nips Previously Owned Vessels!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    See?! it is bad isnt it!? Get Bob Kerensky and Norm Kell on the case. Im curious to see how much time and effort it will take to spruce up the ol place.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Be sure to knockdown a wall or two to create a nice open area!

• Options
    See?! it is bad isnt it!? Get Bob Kerensky and Norm Kell on the case. Im curious to see how much time and effort it will take to spruce up the ol place.

Honestly? It's kind of exactly what I was expecting, a garage-kit tier product that should be more clearly marketed as such. I suppose anyone that's going to IWM directly (e.g. people buying metal model kits) would be a little bit closer to that level of understanding, and I can forgive them for that. Again, though, all those KS backers that this might be their first introduction to such models...it's a bad look. And for what it is, I've seen examples of far worse! It's just a bad kit for that KS Backer audience at large, I feel.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    as much as i like putting together kits, i dont have the patience for something like that dropship.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, those pictures of it wouldn't be out of place among the vinyl garage kits I was building 20 years ago, arriving with too much of the flashing hastily trimmed and cutting away parts of the actual model, surface bubbles, visible tool marks where they pried it out of the mold, etc. At least the shells didn't seem to also be all deformed requiring several hours over boiling water or a heat gun to get it back in shape.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Yesssss. Bloodnames like me get ready.

We've observed the movement of Ghost Bear ark ships and initiated bidding for our Trial of Possession for them tomorrow.

• Options
    Ok, did a first pass on the spreadsheet. I'm thinking of going back and changing some things, but now I'm thinking of picking up some extra packs so I can actually play this game rather than have a clan curb stomp.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'm surprised you Clanners don't need to wait weeks for your stuff, considering you keep all your supplies back in Clanner space..

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok, did a first pass on the spreadsheet. I'm thinking of going back and changing some things, but now I'm thinking of picking up some extra packs so I can actually play this game rather than have a clan curb stomp.

picking up more packs is a slippery slope my dude... be careful

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Oh I know, just actually looking at balancing this time rather what is "cool". So that might help curb the spending. Not to mention I have so many expenditures right now it isn't even funny. Ok, well it is funny but I am keeping it in check.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh I know, just actually looking at balancing this time rather what is "cool". So that might help curb the spending. Not to mention I have so many expenditures right now it isn't even funny. Ok, well it is funny but I am keeping it in check.

My intention was to get a handful of guys, then use the cardboard packs as fillins. I even got a couple extra! What value! That plan quickly went out the window as more mech renders kept coming out. The cost of the 4th succession war truly is immeasurable.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

My intention was to get a handful of guys, then use the cardboard packs as fillins. I even got a couple extra! What value! That plan quickly went out the window as more mech renders kept coming out. The cost of the 4th succession war truly is immeasurable.

Oh right, there are cardboard fill ins... Now I need to go figure that into my calculations.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh right, there are cardboard fill ins... Now I need to go figure that into my calculations.

And there's a bunch up for grabs from my pile!

*not so subtle nudge*

• Options

im actually really happy with the ones i got. The quality is top notch and the art fantastic. realistic and not cartoony like in previous box sets. If it wasnt for the minis i would get a few more.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Yeah those renders are killing my wallet.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Yeah those renders are killing my wallet.

ive relegated my old mech sculps to the Ugly Duckling Battalion. Test machines for paint schemes.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yesss, isorla got.

I am bummed that the best Timber Wolf poster is on the same poster as the map. I may need to try to get another one of that poster so I can frame both.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yesss, isorla got.

I am bummed that the next Timber Wolf poster is on the same poster as the map. I may need to try to get another one of that poster so I can frame both.

The 3-pack is $2. Or if we end up doing a trade I'll toss you mine (all I really wanted was the roster poster)

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It really annoys me their posters are shipped folded instead of rolled in a tube.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    The crow-eating continues, folks!

Paint How I Say You Can: Sessions 2 and 3
    Total Time: About 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes. Ish.

Alright, so the primer's dried overnight, and now I'm laying on base coats. I'm starting with Reaper "Dragon Blue (29815)" from their Master Series Paint HD line. I really only picked this color because I long ago decided that this is the closest to Oosiks blue (also, coincidentally Penny Arcade forums colors). I'm going to use this on everything except the arms. I potted some out on the palette, and thinned it with water. Here's why:

TdZ3xLil.jpg

THIS IS IMPORTANT. Notice how the blue on the left is very opaque; this is because it was un-thinned straight from my bottle. IT'S TOO THICK. So I thinned the paint in my palette well with a couple brush-fulls of water, stirring it in as best I could. This led to the second stripe from the left, still too thick but you can start to see some translucency in it (you can read the text on the page a bit). That was still a touch too thick for my feel of the paint, so I gave the paint well a couple more brush-fulls of water, which left me with the final rightmost stripe of paint. Notice how it has the color, but you can still read the text? Juuuuust about right.

After cleaning my brush in my water cup then drying it on a paper towel, I loaded it up to get to work. (Pardon my sausage fingers)
    xM0R4k8l.jpg

I laid on a coat across the legs and body of the Roughneck. As I thinned my paint, I knew it wasn't going to provide 100% perfect coverage on the first coat. This is intentional, because it is much easier to build up thin layers to the color you want, rather than hitting the model with over-thick paint and hoping for the best. Doing it this way also gives me a little bit of a trick: because the paint is thin, it likes to pool in recesses. This means that higher edges and surfaces come out lighter, providing natural highlights and starting us with an idea of where future highlights are going to be best applied. It's splotchy, of course, but I can very easily fix that (where I want it fixed!) by applying second and third targeted coats.
    BPHvFDMl.jpgGTwv18Ml.jpg

Next up was the orange. For this color I choose Reaper "Explosion Orange (09219)" from their Master Series Paint line (NOT their HD line). This paint is muuuuch thinner from the bottle, as you can see in that stripe test above (left). I just gave it a bit of thinning (right), then went to work on the arms.
    W8JIPuDl.jpg
    mco8YGwl.jpgqmcDq65l.jpg

Super thin, right? You can really see where the outside edges (paint pulls away here) and inside corners (paint pools here) are, and even on the flat surfaces the color is very uneven. Easily fixed with additional thin coats! As it was, I got through the first coat so fast and I had time to kill, I quickly (but carefully!) painted the base black (Vallejo Game Color "Coal Black"), and then on a lark I painted the antenna whip. By the time I was done painting the black, the orange had dried and I was able to go over it again with a quick second coat. You can really see the color build up on the elbow plates, as I was able to finish them with a third coat and they're fully saturated by the color by this point.

2qo1il9l.jpg

Honestly, it's shaping up pretty good for relatively minimal work so far. My plan next is to clean up the blue and orange in spots (mostly large panels; I like the natural highlighting the thin coats are giving it), and then I'll detail the cockpit and weapon apertures. Even before these steps, though, I'd be fine putting this guy down on the table as-is. The big colors are in, the base is blacked out, and at arms length you can't hardly tell it's not "done". Is it a little two-toned? Sure, but most military vehicles are a pretty flat single color (when they're not camo'd up), so it's reasonably believable and just hitting a few small details will help make this figure pop a bit more.

• Options
    Next go into washing. I'm curious to see your technique

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    it's

inhales

HEEEEERE

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Do the balls and ass last

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Fuck you I spit out my beer.

• Options
    Welp, now we're going to have to sell official Oosik brand Mech Nutz

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Welp, now we're going to have to sell official Oosik brand Mech Nutz

Whelp, off to thingiverse I go.

edit- It didn't disappoint.

Axen on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

For a moment there I thought this was the Gunpla thread (been a lot of jokes about the RB-79 Ball and its derivatives the last few days).

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    9du508m5vk8f.png

MECHNUTZ™

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    I see we're keeping it classy in here, as always.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Why they hell they shipped the posters folded?! Every single one of mine are ruined.

• Options
    Why they hell they shipped the posters folded?! Every single one of mine are ruined.

its so you buy the sweet foil ones that come rolled up in a tube

kx3klFE.png