As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    watch the patlabor TV series instead

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tenor.gif

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell are the only shows with good cops.

Kusanagi is a terrible cop. Good person. Terrible cop.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    it's, uh, also about child soldiers and is pretty high body count with some...light pedophilia

i love ibo but feel it should have at least a mild content warning

Not to mention that one of the good guys has a literal harem. Although I have to say I think the Char clone in IBO is probably the best of them (I've only seen season 1).

• Options
    is this IBO sex stuff later on in the second season? It doesn't ring a bell for me and I stopped early in the second season.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    The harem/polyamory as a whole concept is handled remarkably, respectfully well in ibo and is like the least objectionable part of its ethos

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Cops as well but it's also rather complex for a child's cartoon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qYTNCbsPU

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I didn't mind the burgeoning poly trio in the show but the harem seemed like it really needed you to take it at face value that all these ladies were honestly into the idea that their landlord/employer/benefactor was also their joint husband.

• Options
    ooooh wait now I remember the harem part

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    it's, uh, also about child soldiers and is pretty high body count with some...light pedophilia

i love ibo but feel it should have at least a mild content warning

Not to mention that one of the good guys has a literal harem. Although I have to say I think the Char clone in IBO is probably the best of them (I've only seen season 1).

The Char clone isn't who you think it is! But he is indeed the best.

S2 spoilers
    Gaelio survives his duel with McGillis and returns in a mask, piloting the Vidar. Turns out to be the Khimaris with a Graze engine bolted on to disguise it's signature. He ends up being the Char of the show, even tho McGillis has a brief stint in a disguise and a red mobile suit in the first season.

Also pour one out for the Grimgerde because it gets a different loadout in S2 and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Finished watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, and The Origin. Started up Zeta now. Going to take me a minute to get used to the animation. I like it, but it's a big shift from the original series.
    I'm finding a lot of the early fights a bit tough to follow since the suits are a lot less color coded, everyone's in heavy pilot suits in the cockpits, and the color palette is much darker in general.

Don't correct me if I'm wrong, but having started off this Gundam binge with IBO, Jerid is immediately giving me Iok Kujan vibes. Maybe he'll get his shit together.

• Options
    what is the timeline order for UC shows anyway?
    MS Gundam > ZZ Gundam? > Char's Counterattack? > Gundam Unicorn? I know I am forgetting some series too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Maybe he'll get his shit together.

don't click this jay
    b10.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Jerid Messa is probably the most face punchable character in Gundam history. Pretty much every time he is on screen or talking you just want to punch him in the face.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maybe he'll get his shit together.

don't click this jay
    b10.png

lol
    is that Khyron/Quamzin from Macross in the lower right? how are these characters related, personality? or just that head pose

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    MS Gundam > ZZ Gundam? > Char's Counterattack? > Gundam Unicorn? I know I am forgetting some series too.

zeta fits in there between the original series and ZZ, and i think that's basically the UC 'mainline'

you've also got a bunch of OVA series that run between the original and zeta, your wars in the pocket and stardust memories and what have you

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Then after Unicorn you have F91 and Victory though they're far enough in the future that I understand there's less of a direct line

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    1. The Origin
    2. MSG, 0080: War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team all happen more or less parallel to each other (also the cgi show MS Igloo and it's sequel whose name escapes me, but those are more like a loosely connected series of shorts)
    3. 0083: Stardust Memory
    4. Zeta (be sure to watch the show and not the film trilogy, as unlike the original series' compilation films Tomino gave Zeta's a very different ending that doesn't really fit with what comes after, IIRC)
    5. ZZ Gundam
    6. Char's Counterattack
    7. Unicorn
    8. F-91
    9. Victory Gundam

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Finally got my airbrush working! Kinda! It's missing a little lever bit between the trigger and spring but it's technically useable!

Alas, I am in a dead zone of modeling supplies. Michael's has quite a bit of empty space on their shelves, JoAnn has even less to begin with and the Hobbytown here closed like five years ago. Gonna have to hit the big city or Amazon if I want stuff like paint medium or alligator clips.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    note that the origin should be taken as alt-UC, not a prequel to mobile suit gundam

same goes for thunderbolt

oh and also g40:
    99qr93m7go8p.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere to watch Thunderbolt right now?

• Options
    gotta buy the blurays. not streaming anywhere

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oho

Well. Looking at the multiple PG sized holes in my wallet, can't say I'm prepared for this.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    nope nope nope nope nope nope not today satan, can't do it, not gonna do it, probably doin it

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I didn't mind the burgeoning poly trio in the show but the harem seemed like it really needed you to take it at face value that all these ladies were honestly into the idea that their landlord/employer/benefactor was also their joint husband.

I mean they do break that down a lot, albeit not until the second season, and it's far more nuance and genuine than that. Like Whippy said, it's exceptionally well handled and I was pretty impressed by it.

The show is also surprisingly queer in places, with a lot of gay pairings- both implied and canon- and they don't mess around with trying to enter into any queer discourse amongst all the other themes in the show.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Mini-Zock is finished!

Here is he with his dad:
    n5eu27oapfk5.jpg
    Strike the pose!
    c1brdnuj9db6.jpg

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    is this IBO sex stuff later on in the second season? It doesn't ring a bell for me and I stopped early in the second season.

Yeah
    McGillis was trafficked as a child and uh, had a bad time to say the least. He has his position in Gallehorn because he convinced his abuser to adopt him and then killed him, I think? It's been a while.

McGillis is ALSO in an arranged political betrothal thing with a 10 year old who he gaslights into thinking he actually cares for her. Cause he fuckin suuuuuuuuuuucks and Gallehorn is basically "what if we just did medieval nobility again?". The girl isn't sexulized though, and the situation is treated as pretty fucked, especially right at the end of season 2.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Kusanagi is a terrible cop. Good person. Terrible cop.

Ah, actually Em on Great Gundam Project had an observation on Patlabor I just heard: Even inside the police force, there are police and then there are cops.

And yeah, the Major is not a cop.

• Options

Wasn't it like, a PSN exclusive series or something?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

it was on gundam.info on youtube for a while

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I meant the individual episodes, not the compilation films.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I meant the individual episodes, not the compilation films.

individual episodes were on youtube for thunderbolt

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Ah, shame! Well I've watched the compilation films and they were perfectly alright. The subject matter gets pretty dark even for Gundam, though.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Thunderbolt kinda suffers because they're very much a prologue and first chapter of a work that got really delayed by the creators' health issues.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Sure is pretty though

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Good soundtrack!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Speaking of Thunderbolt, I’m working on the Psycho Zaku...

4a1mt2ndanwt.jpeg

Notice how there’s only 3 thrusters? I dropped one. Onto the carpet. The green, near-shag carpet.

Damn.

Edit: Also need to get that black pour marker working properly.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    oh god it's like getting nam flashbacks.

man fuck that kit.

Speaking of lost parts though, I didn't notice the little crotch V for my Hi-Nu was still on the runner and I pitched that shit weeks ago so it's absolutely gone. Anyone have ideas for filling in the hole that it was suppose to slot through? I was kind of thinking about just putting some white tape on the backside so at least it's white when you look in there.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i just want them to make the thunderbolt acguy a kit (with the comical number of accessories that thing has), is that too much to ask

honestly i'd settle for the aqua guncannon though

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Working on my Mobile Doll May. Wound up having to Frankenstein together a sticker the cover part of the chest piece because the actual sticker for that part got torn. I think it looks not terrible?

This discussion has been closed.