Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Boy howdy, I am just completely out of gas for the week. Good thing tomorrow is the first Fridax I've had since March 15.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just turned in my last assignment for my graduate degree. A week from saturday I'll "walk the stage" and get a diploma and two professional certificates, and 3 days after that I start work as a budget analyst for local government.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Job interview concluded! I think it went well?

The position was open for eight days and twenty-five teachers applied.

The admin staff then whittled that down to just five.

So, it's nice to be in the semi-finals?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Awesome Zonugal! Fingers crossed for you!

On my job front, the local school district announced furloughs today, so I'm thinking I won't get the job, or at least not this year.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh hey if anyone wants to hear my audio recording, look at my powerpoint, or pop into my presentation at noon Centeral today to ask me questions:
    https://www.valpo.edu/undergraduate-research/source/source-2020-final-program/
    (Zachary Virgo)

I don't mind posting this because its all public and junk. I'm also crazy nervous!

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Just turned in my last assignment for my graduate degree. A week from saturday I'll "walk the stage" and get a diploma and two professional certificates, and 3 days after that I start work as a budget analyst for local government.

High fucking five @Oghulk I know you've gotten the run around the last few years. Glad to hear it, and congratulations on all your hard work paying off. Make sure after you "walk the stage" you celebrate!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really don't want to go to work tomorrow.

I assume I'm the first person to ever feel like this.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I really don't want to go to work tomorrow.

I assume I'm the first person to ever feel like this.

This is new to me. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Bucketman hope you did good on your thing! Sorry I had to bail, but I had a test (which I PASSED!).

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I don’t remember how many months ago it was now, but I listed a lot of things our new manager was fucking up and how shitty he is.
    This afternoon, we’ll be receiving an announcement that he’s getting shuffled to another division, one where the department head will be able to keep a closer eye on him, hopefully to gather enough evidence to fire his ass. There’s a small chance he comes back, but seeing his trajectory so far and how strongly my team banded together to gather evidence for his removal, we’re hoping he at least stays out of our division for good. At the very least I hope he takes the hint no one wants him here and he leaves of his own volition, because he certainly didn’t take any steps to improve in his four and a half months here.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    awesome that you're (hopefully) rid of him, not awesome that you had to deal with his shit for four and a half months

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Bucketman hope you did good on your thing! Sorry I had to bail, but I had a test (which I PASSED!).

Congrats on your test my dude! And thanks for swinging it, its nice to chat about my research with someone not affiliated with the University

• Options
    awesome that you're (hopefully) rid of him, not awesome that you had to deal with his shit for four and a half months

Government employees, especially at his level, are nigh on bulletproof. However, I’m hoping that makes even more of an impression to his future employers if we manage to bounce his worthless ass out of here.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Sorry for talking about his ass so much

godmode on
  • Options
    You didn't even tell us if its tight.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My one week furlough just got extended to the 8th and fuck me I am getting fucked so hard when I do finally go back.

Fuckity fuck fuckin fuckfuckfuck

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My one week furlough just got extended to the 8th and fuck me I am getting fucked so hard when I do finally go back.

Fuckity fuck fuckin fuckfuckfuck

Got enough alcohol, my dude?

• Options
    I'm getting paid with the unemployment and not really losing any money so this is essentially a 4 week vacation. But Jesus I'm just going to be getting stuck doing the lion share of the work when I start back because of how our manpower works right now. There are 4 people on my crew, myself and one other of those 4 people are the only ones who can run every post. The other two are trainees who can only run one respectively.

They're cutting us to 2 man crews and pulling my experienced partner to day shift leaving me running half the shop while one or the other runs one post. It's just putting a fucking monster strain on me. I've had to do this before and its sucks so much ass.

• Options
    But it's basically a 48 hour week, a 36 hour week, and then I'm furloughed again for 2 weeks. Supposedly we start back up business as usual on July 5th but

Well we'll see.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Woo hiring and salary freeze! No new hires, no raises for this year (which usually hit in July) and they're cutting off retirement matching completely!

Everyone making over a quarter-mil is also getting a 10% pay cut, and top level execs are getting like 20%

All in the name of not touching benefits at all.

So.... it's a thing!

I predict that in 2-3 years we'll see a huge wave of "these Zoomers have no loyalty to their employers! They jump from job to job every year!" Like yeah how else Imma get a raise?!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Woo hiring and salary freeze! No new hires, no raises for this year (which usually hit in July) and they're cutting off retirement matching completely!

Everyone making over a quarter-mil is also getting a 10% pay cut, and top level execs are getting like 20%

So.... it's a thing!

I predict that in 2-3 years we'll see a huge wave of "these Zoomers have no loyalty to their employers! They jump from job to job every year!" Like yeah how else Imma get a raise?!

What do you mean in a few years, we already have that.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Would it be a solid way to pay off my credit cards by paying off the smallest first and then putting that payment towards the next and pay off the next and so forth?

I really need to start getting rid of my debt but I'm not sure how best to do it.

I haven't been paying taxes on my pay checks so I could save up and pay off my credit cards and I'll pay my taxes I owe next tax season but I've been kind of dumb.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Would it be a solid way to pay off my credit cards by paying off the smallest first and then putting that payment towards the next and pay off the next and so forth?

Yep, the "snowball" method is pretty much the way to go, if the interest rates are close enough the same.

Reddit PF
    was a valuable resource for me getting my stuff together.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Mercade wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Yep, the "snowball" method is pretty much the way to go, if the interest rates are close enough the same.

Reddit PF
    was a valuable resource for me getting my stuff together.

Awesome, thank you!

That link is very helpful

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Always pay off the highest interest debt first, whatever that happens to be

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

So.... it's a thing!

What do you mean in a few years, we already have that.

Nah, now they only say that about Millenials, and they only jump ship every few years

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Turns out my lowest balance had the highest interest rate. I haven't looked at my rates in a while and they are a lot lower than I remembered. Kind if a nice surprise

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's just amazing how bullet proof certain people are in managers when the manger is protecting them for some reason
    I have worked for a manager that pulled a gun {he worked as a manager until he killed himself but that's a complex tale} Others that went far beyond what their job entails to get rid of someone or be so incompetent they make a already bad problem far worse

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    I've been saying "this might be a three-paper-submission month!" since December but it looks like this might (finally) be a three paper submission month.
    One accepted book chapter, one short research paper just got pinged back with minor revisions requested but otherwise almost certainly accepted, and one short report that I should be able to plonk off for an initial submission tomorrow, saturday at the absolute latest.

then I only have two or three projects hanging over my head from my last job, instead of five.

tynic on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    One of my colleagues has always been a fan of the common wisdom that all meetings need agendas (which I don't think is true and quite often things that pop up in your calendar with clear single issue titles like "Project Wonky DFMEA" or "Review bioweapon proposal" have implicit agendas). The growth of WFH meaning we quite often all dial into a VC to work collaboratively is making him insufferable.

I get that it is super hard for people right now but being difficult means you get cut out of projects and find yourself on the slippery slope to redundancy via a furloughing. I'm preparing to have a very awkward conversation later this afternoon (I have another meeting to "Agree project plan and assign tasks for Project Panique" with him and the rest of the team, where I'm fully expecting him to derail us getting started by repeatedly asking for an agenda while everybody on the call restates the meeting invite title to him). Blergh.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tell him it's the gay agenda

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Always pay off the highest interest debt first, whatever that happens to be

To save the most money, that's the best way, but think about this:

If you've got yourself $1000 and one bill that's $500 from being paid off but 20% interest, and one that's $5000 from being paid off, but is 28% interest... pay off the $500 first.

You lose some money but you eliminate one the payments, you also gain some brain happiness juice for paying something off which motivates you to pay off more. That's also one less bill that can potentially have a late fee, and in terms of unsecured credit, the amount you'll save by paying off high interest debt is fairly low, versus the one time you can't make a minimum and get dinged by a late fee and it eats up whatever you would have potentially saved.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    One of my colleagues has always been a fan of the common wisdom that all meetings need agendas (which I don't think is true and quite often things that pop up in your calendar with clear single issue titles like "Project Wonky DFMEA" or "Review bioweapon proposal" have implicit agendas). The growth of WFH meaning we quite often all dial into a VC to work collaboratively is making him insufferable.

I get that it is super hard for people right now but being difficult means you get cut out of projects and find yourself on the slippery slope to redundancy via a furloughing. I'm preparing to have a very awkward conversation later this afternoon (I have another meeting to "Agree project plan and assign tasks for Project Panique" with him and the rest of the team, where I'm fully expecting him to derail us getting started by repeatedly asking for an agenda while everybody on the call restates the meeting invite title to him). Blergh.

Meetings are inefficient wastes of time without agendas as there's no defined bounds other than time, which it will always fill without an agenda. If he's being a pain on "agenda not detailed enough", just put the invite title as the agenda item with a target outcome for the meeting (achieve ~50% of draft revision etc.).
    If you want facetime with coworkers to work through a particular item - great! Agendas can be loose. As I'm home with my kids and have limited working hours, aimless meetings are a gigantic blocker to getting meaningful work done.
    If they're just being a hyperplanning PM who must have a bullet for every thing, perhaps start introducing some agile principle education to refocus their head away from the 3 year fleshed out WBS as ideal state.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Tell him it's the gay agenda

no way that's mine

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    You can always get a much lower interest loan from a bank and then pay all your other debts at once. Usually banks are pretty open to working with you on that sort of stuff.

Like 8 years ago I had about 10k in debt, got a bank loan and paid them all off and then I was just paying that single loan. Was much easier to handle mentally, kind of like what Bowen said.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Meetings are inefficient wastes of time without agendas as there's no defined bounds other than time, which it will always fill without an agenda. If he's being a pain on "agenda not detailed enough", just put the invite title as the agenda item with a target outcome for the meeting (achieve ~50% of draft revision etc.).
    If you want facetime with coworkers to work through a particular item - great! Agendas can be loose. As I'm home with my kids and have limited working hours, aimless meetings are a gigantic blocker to getting meaningful work done.
    If they're just being a hyperplanning PM who must have a bullet for every thing, perhaps start introducing some agile principle education to refocus their head away from the 3 year fleshed out WBS as ideal state.

Yea, agendas should include what is to be specifically accomplished in the meeting. I hate empty meeting invites. It's an invitation for people to bloviate. Agendas also let you pull people back on topic, "Hey we're on article two of this meeting, lets get back to it".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Meeting agendas are like experience requirements in job postings: they bear a resemblance to what you actually care about and they're formalized and familiar so people are comfortable with them, but at the end of the day you can check off all the boxes but accomplish nothing of value.

What everyone actually needs is to set objectives.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Meeting agendas are fine for amorphous weekly updates and AGMs, but in most cases you could probably just not hold the meeting at all, they make no sense for targeted things with self explanatory titles.

Edit: in the end I wussed out and just had a chat with his line manager about it. Hopefully that will achieve something.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Meeting agendas are fine for amorphous weekly updates and AGMs, but in most cases you could probably just not hold the meeting at all, they make no sense for targeted things with self explanatory titles.

Edit: in the end I wussed out and just had a chat with his line manager about it. Hopefully that will achieve something.

One of the big things is someone high ranking keeping an eye on what meetings are about, and watch for patterns. If you're holding meetings about the same things then that is a great opportunity just to define the process and turn it into steps for peoples jobs to do when something comes up.

We're having that issue here where we have meetings when a new big job comes up and we always talk about the same things, and the same people go get answers. Just let those people go get those answers up front, and send everyone an update, instead of sitting around in a meeting going over it. Once we have all the standard info, THEN lets have a quick 30 minute meeting just to spit ball to make sure we capture anything non-standard. Sitting around and going over stuff can have a big value, but lets not bog that down with the standard work we don't need to meet about.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

One of the big things is someone high ranking keeping an eye on what meetings are about, and watch for patterns. If you're holding meetings about the same things then that is a great opportunity just to define the process and turn it into steps for peoples jobs to do when something comes up.

We're having that issue here where we have meetings when a new big job comes up and we always talk about the same things, and the same people go get answers. Just let those people go get those answers up front, and send everyone an update, instead of sitting around in a meeting going over it. Once we have all the standard info, THEN lets have a quick 30 minute meeting just to spit ball to make sure we capture anything non-standard. Sitting around and going over stuff can have a big value, but lets not bog that down with the standard work we don't need to meet about.

I have zero experience of this. Do you have specific examples?

This discussion has been closed.