As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] now returns you to your regular programming.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

EA is trickling out all the steam releases. looking at the store page for squadrons I noticed that EA battlefront and battlefront 2 are now on steam

One thing I noticed is that this one won’t require Origin apparently, just an EA account, unlike the other EA games on Steam like Battlefront

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    tempted by the divinity original sin 2 sale, but then I remember i kind of hated the first game, and gave up early on because combat was basically impossible for me even on the super easy mode.
    I was the same as you at first, I tried brute force early on and kept getting annihilated. The trick to Divinity OS 1 is to realize just how essential altering the environment and status effects are on. You win in that game by controlling the battlefield, not overpowering them.

Focus on molding the battle field and riddling the enemy with charm and knockdown arrows/grenades while making them walk through icy or electrified surfaces before you worry about doing damage.

Of course, DOS 2 has that stupid armor system where everybody has immunity until its chipped down so this doesn't apply as strongly until you wear them down.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I see Battlefield V is on Steam now. Is that the one that had people's panties all twisted because "female soldiers in ww2 wtf no"?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Still bonkers...

HuJE3G9.png

It's got to feel pretty great to be one of the devs involved with this. What a barnburner.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Last night I discovered that Underhero, one of the games in the itch.io BLM bundle, is an indie take on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Is it good? You should post your opinions about it in the thread.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Last night I discovered that Underhero, one of the games in the itch.io BLM bundle, is an indie take on Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
    While I enjoyed my time with it, not really. Visually you might get that feeling at first but to me, it ended up feeling very different.

If you're looking for something more Paper Mario, I'd check out Bug Fables.

Not in the bundle though unfortunately. :(

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I didn't even realize there were videos.

At least my Bomberman didn't completely embarrass himself.

I think mine did embarrass himself, but he somehow pulled out the W.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I see Battlefield V is on Steam now. Is that the one that had people's panties all twisted because "female soldiers in ww2 wtf no"?

The real issue is that they made boring maps and dropped support for Firestorm, their battle royale mode, right after releasing it. The Pacific update added some good island maps and remakes of older Battlefield maps, but was too little too late. They also had released some weird balance patches that they had to walk back. People wanted classic Normandy and eastern front maps, but they never released them.

But yeah there were also misogynists that complained about female soldiers, even though there were a lot of bad ass female soldiers in WW2 including of course Russian and I’m kind of disappointed there was no Stalingrad map to snipe some Nazis like in Enemy at the Gates.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Please tell me there's crossplay so I can finally play something with my friends who all own PS4

Gamespot says there's crossplay and no microtransactions

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Played a bunch of Griftlands yesterday.

The demo is one full day out of 5 for Sal's story. It does a pretty good job of showing off the game but saves dont carry over, which is confusing since they have a good stopping point for it.

Started a real run, took a job where the employer asked me to kill so thugs. Which then made Bax hate me because I killed his friend.

Then, while traveling back to the employer to tell them the job is finished, who should stop me and ask for a toll but none other than Bax the criminal! So I disposed of him as well, because I dont need the grief.

So needless to say the game does a very good job of incorporating choice and consequence in the RPG elements. Something as simple as getting a drink can add a tipsy card to your deck, which you have to spend AP to get rid of or it will continue to be a dead draw during combat.

Plus its Klei so the aesthetics are all on point.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Star Wars Squadrons trailer has no gameplay in it. Is it just another Rogue Squadron type game? Are we gonna tie more tow cables around mech legs?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    That Star Wars Squadrons trailer has no gameplay in it. Is it just another Rogue Squadron type game? Are we gonna tie more tow cables around mech legs?

Yeah I'm kinda hesitant actually. My understanding is that its going to be more like a 5x5 version of Battlefront 2's space combat. Which, ok? But we've kind of got that already.

I'd really like for them to open the license up a bit more beyond multiplayer shooters. There's a whole wealth of RPG and strategy and other stuff they could explore (like the Warhammer license is doing).

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Massena wrote: »

Yeah I'm kinda hesitant actually. My understanding is that its going to be more like a 5x5 version of Battlefront 2's space combat. Which, ok? But we've kind of got that already.

I'd really like for them to open the license up a bit more beyond multiplayer shooters. There's a whole wealth of RPG and strategy and other stuff they could explore (like the Warhammer license is doing).
    Squadrons will feature a single player story mode set after the Battle of Endor and the destruction of the Death Star II. Alternating between two customisable pilots, the story will feature brand new characters, and cameos from familiar faces.

The two pilots you play as will show you both sides of the game's conflict – one flies for the New Republic's Vanguard Squadron, and the other for the shattered Galactic Empire's Titan Squadron.

Multiplayer will take the form of 5v5 battles, with two modes announced. Fleet Battles will task each team with destroying the opposing teams flagship, while Dogfights will simply ask each team to destroy as many opponents as possible. Locations will be both known and unknown, with Yavin Prime and the shattered moon of Galitan announced so far.

The announcement press release makes clear that squadron composition will be important, implying multiple ship classes to experiment with. EA also confirmed that, while Star Wars: Squadrons will include cosmetic and gameplay-related customisation, all upgrades will be earned solely through playing the game.

Playing through the game will earn you weapons, hulls, engines and shields to allow you to tweak your starfighter into whatever you want it to be, while cosmetics will alter your cockpit, ship exterior and pilot.

TBH I’m not too hyped about 5v5, that’s pretty small scale. Give me giant space battle spectacles

BUT there’s VR support for PC and PS4, which does have me hyped

Zavian on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    What I want them to make is another tie fighter game. I don't really care if it has multi or not, I just want a good involved campaign.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

EA is trickling out all the steam releases. looking at the store page for squadrons I noticed that EA battlefront and battlefront 2 are now on steam

One thing I noticed is that this one won’t require Origin apparently, just an EA account, unlike the other EA games on Steam like Battlefront

C&C Remastered is also straight up with no Origin, so hopefully this going to be the new normal.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    What I want them to make is another tie fighter game. I don't really care if it has multi or not, I just want a good involved campaign.

I'm kinda sad that there's still no (spiritual) sequel to FreeSpace 2 (or similar) in the near future.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

The Star Wars EU is right there. You can't tell me that getting Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston on the horn for permission to make an X-Wing saga story based on the damned book-series wouldn't sell like hotcakes.

Unless, of course, Disney pisses and moans about not using any currently marketable characters that they can't tie into a fucking TV show or movie. I mean, cripes- look at all the possibilities for Squadrons- Rogue, Wraith, the 181st, running with Thrawn, with Zsinj, a pirate squadron, under some Imperial Warlord...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

The Star Wars EU is right there. You can't tell me that getting Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston on the horn for permission to make an X-Wing saga story based on the damned book-series wouldn't sell like hotcakes.

Unless, of course, Disney pisses and moans about not using any currently marketable characters that they can't tie into a fucking TV show or movie. I mean, cripes- look at all the possibilities for Squadrons- Rogue, Wraith, the 181st, running with Thrawn, with Zsinj, a pirate squadron, under some Imperial Warlord...

I have a feeling Disney already has plans for Thrawn given he was made official canon and a major antagonist for a while in Rebels and I've read they sent him off somewhere to give a canon explanation for why he didn't participate in the OT events.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I dunno, I'm playing through Nu-Battlefront II now, and the space levels aren't great. They're probably the best stuff in the game, but not by much.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Small problem with the second of those... :(

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Small problem with the second of those... :(

You've never heard of ghostwriting?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wait you call the game "Squadrons" and it's not a modern version of the Rogue Squadron/Starfighter series?

Or is making it "multi only" the definition of "modern version"

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wait you call the game "Squadrons" and it's not a modern version of the Rogue Squadron/Starfighter series?

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

It'll have single player versions of the multiplayer maps, just like battlefield!

Remember, we live in the Berenstain timeline. In the grim future, there is only pride and accomplishment.

Gosh, that's some low hanging fruit. I just can't resist.

<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

It'll have single player versions of the multiplayer maps, just like battlefield!

Remember, we live in the Berenstain timeline. In the grim future, there is only pride and accomplishment.

<3

All I want is decent joystick support. I’m tired of “joystick supported” games where the only way to be even semi-competitive in multiplayer is to ditch the joystick for a mouse.

Okay, I want Mass Effect 3 on Steam too, if we’re putting out a wishlist of things EA will never do.

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

<3

All I want is decent joystick support. I’m tired of “joystick supported” games where the only way to be even semi-competitive in multiplayer is to ditch the joystick for a mouse.

Okay, I want Mass Effect 3 on Steam too, if we’re putting out a wishlist of things EA will never do.

Can't tell if joking...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1238020/Mass_Effect_3_N7_Digital_Deluxe_Edition/

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Anyone try Griftlands? Card-based roguelike by Klei. That sentence has all the words that make me pay attention.

I'm trying to decide between that and Monster Train (which helpfully has it's own thread I went and stalked).

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

<3

Can't tell if joking...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1238020/Mass_Effect_3_N7_Digital_Deluxe_Edition/

Not joking, but also living under a rock, apparently. When did this happen?

• Options

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

It's not multi only.

<3

Can't tell if joking...

Last week

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Ugh. More multiplayer focused star wars games.

I have no interest in the new action game either, want something more interesting than just rogue jedi in between the prequel and OT era again, there are a million of those stories already in Star Wars. When are we getting another RPG?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

Last week

Well, there goes my last excuse for not playing ME2 and ME3.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ugh. More multiplayer focused star wars games.

I have no interest in the new action game either, want something more interesting than just rogue jedi in between the prequel and OT era again, there are a million of those stories already in Star Wars. When are we getting another RPG?

I keep toying with the idea of going back to SWTOR for this very reason.
    Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne look pretty solid.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    @cardboard delusions was having some Steam issues so he decided to test something on me for...reasons.

LmedL5N.png

Thank you for Muse Dash!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

<Yells at cloud>
    <Puts onion on his belt>

You're not the only one disappointed.

qbxjzr-P7BUVxAOc.jpg

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Last week

You still have to register with EA and use Origin.

You know, if you need an excuse to keep pining. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Buy the fucking itch.io bundle. Buy it right now.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

Last week

You still have to register with EA and use Origin.

You know, if you need an excuse to keep pining. :)

Eh, I’ve had an EA account since when SW:TOR launched.

• Options
    Meh. Not enough games.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Did nobody else notice the bit in the Squadrons trailer where she put more power to the engines in the X-Wing? With the EMS panel clearly shown? That got me excited. Unreasonably so. Maybe this will have some X-Wing/TIE Fighter DNA in it.

I, for one, am very interested in how this will turn out.

Last week

Note that ME2 on Steam has no DLC directly available any more (you had to buy it through Bioware Social, which no longer exists), but you can enter the CD key into Origin, which gives you an Origin copy, which in turn has the DLC available in a bundle. Yes, it's awkward. But it works and it's a lot simpler than it used to be.

ME3 you can at least buy the DLC bundle through Steam, though of course the game & DLC still run through Origin.

And no, the DLC is not optional for either game :wink:

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Thanks for the reminder. Just donated now to get the games before they go away.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
This discussion has been closed.