As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Various rumours going round that an election might be called so if the Tories win they can say they were elected with a mandate to break international law etc

Note to self - get that postal vote request form off ASAP.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Various rumours going round that an election might be called so if the Tories win they can say they were elected with a mandate to break international law etc

The Tories aren't going to risk pissing away an 80 seat majority when they can already do whatever they like with no repercussions anyway. Tory voters are not going to switch to labour over some international law boondoggle they don't understand or care about.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

The Tories aren't going to risk pissing away an 80 seat majority when they can already do whatever they like with no repercussions anyway. Tory voters are not going to switch to labour over some international law boondoggle they don't understand or care about.

On the other hand, it has been a good nine months since the last election so we're well overdue for the next one.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    If that happens [General Election called], it'll be the dumbest thing to happen in UK in.. like 3 days or something. I've stopped counting.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Didn't Greece basically do the same thing to get out of the austerity measures imposed by the IMF? Didn't that fail, despite the government handily winning that election?

(Am I making this up? Might not have the details right.)

Greek government held a referendum asking if Greece should accept the EU bailout and the austerity conditions that came with it. Over 60 percent of the voters rejected the bailout. Not a week later the government accepted the bailout anyway and in the end had to implement measures that were arguably even worse than those put up for the referendum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Greek_bailout_referendum

That killed pretty much any goodwill the left leaning Tsipras government had, I think.

It's more like if a Tory government had been pro Brexit, held a referendum that ended hugely in favour of Brexit and then Britain had stayed in the EU while increasing membership payment.

honovere on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Thank you!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing if the tories called a snap election over this and lost. A very real prospect now that Labour have a competent leader. Perhaps the hubris of winning comfortably last time has gone to johnson's head?

altid on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    there's absolutely zero chance they'd call one.

Still. Would be funny though wouldn't it.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    New page

Platy on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing if the tories called a snap election over this and lost. A very real prospect now that Labour have a competent leader. Perhaps the hubris of winning comfortably last time has gone to johnson's head?

Labour haven't even come close to uncorbynising themselves, if there was an election and people started paying attention to them again the spotlight would pick up all kinds of crazy, dysfunctional, infighting bullshit. All that stuff is still going on you're just not seeing any of it because no one in the media cares about Labours ongoing meltdown in the middle of Corona/Brexit.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    But it's okay!
    UK signs first major post-Brexit trade deal with Japan
    The UK has struck its first major post-Brexit trade deal after signing an agreement in principle with Japan which aims to boost trade by about £15bn.

International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said it was an "historic moment".

She said it would bring "new wins" for British businesses in manufacturing, food and drink, and tech industries.

Critics said while the deal may be of symbolic importance it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%, a fraction of the trade that could be lost with the EU.
    Oh yeah, taste that? That's victory, that is.

I'm seeing that one of the big boasts is that the UK will get to export cheese much easier.

I'm also seeing that 73% of Japan's citizenry is lactose intolerant.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Hahahahhahaaaargh

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    But it's okay!
    The UK has struck its first major post-Brexit trade deal after signing an agreement in principle with Japan which aims to boost trade by about £15bn.

She said it would bring "new wins" for British businesses in manufacturing, food and drink, and tech industries.

Critics said while the deal may be of symbolic importance it would boost UK GDP by only 0.07%, a fraction of the trade that could be lost with the EU.

I'm seeing that one of the big boasts is that the UK will get to export cheese much easier.

oh but those remaining 27%?
    absolute cheese fiends

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Many cheeses are low-lactose just by how they are made and fine for intolerant folks!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can see some of the old guard with a true belief in magical inherent British moral superiority wrestling a tad with the cognitive dissonance of trying to marry that up with a blasé stated intent to break international law and renege on signed agreements.
    International Law should be subservient to British Law, as It Was Meant To Be.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Many cheeses are low-lactose just by how they are made and fine for intolerant folks!

Hafarti?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    In numerically positive news, we finally got our R number above 1!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54116939

Oh wait, that's the wrong sort of positive.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I can see some of the old guard with a true belief in magical inherent British moral superiority wrestling a tad with the cognitive dissonance of trying to marry that up with a blasé stated intent to break international law and renege on signed agreements.

Rah rah something empire something!

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Rah rah something empire something!

This always reminds me of that movie "2 weeks notice" where Hugh Grant's character dejectedly remarks that he's still rich but he'll have to share a private helicopter with another family.
    England went from ostensibly being on top to having to share an economy/steel and oil with a bunch of plebs. They never got over the butt hurt.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    But it's okay!

thats why they call it a trade war... any means necessary to weaken the enemy...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    In calvinball news, it looks like the Lords are intending to block the internal market bill (assuming it can make it through the Commons, which is likely but a massive back bench rebellion feels like a genuine possibility)

If they do, there isn't time for the government to force it through using the Parliament Act before it needs to have entered into force at the end of the transition period

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    hes been in meetings this afternoon to try and get con mps behind him on this idiocy

one assumes that whatever he decides to say this evening while be incredibly stupid

one disconcerting feature of this is that the fact it was even his intention, whether the lords sabotages it or not, has done a ridiculous amount of invisible damage and if it in effect ends up being purely for domestic posturing....

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    We all say it in this thread but it really becomes evident in these events: Boris Johnson is a really shite PM.

These issues aren't just happening by chance. They come as a direct result of Johnson's inability to Govern a nation. The sooner Conservatives finally accept this, the sooner stuff like this goes away.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    We all say it in this thread but it really becomes evident in these events: Boris Johnson is a really shite PM.

These issues aren't just happening by chance. They come as a direct result of Johnson's inability to Govern a nation. The sooner Conservatives finally accept this, the sooner stuff like this goes away.

They care more about winning elections than governing. They'll take 5 years of Boris just to keep Labour out

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I suspect a fair few influential conservatives are beginning to doubt whether they'll win another election if Johnson and Starmer remain in charge.

• Options
    I have to consider the fact that the last few PMs have all had descriptions like 'likely to be considered one of the worst Prime Ministers in our modern history' used about them, only for the next one to come and show that there's still further to dig.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    In numerically positive news, we finally got our R number above 1!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54116939

Oh wait, that's the wrong sort of positive.

Imperial is making a more pessimistic prediction of 1.7.

Which, y'know. Doesn't exactly seem great.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ringo wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

They care more about winning elections than governing. They'll take 5 years of Boris just to keep Labour out

5 years is a long time in human terms, and when you have the cash it's also a decent sum if you can avoid tax - I expect to see some huge slashes to capital gains, or exemptions from taking out of retirement pots in Boris's last year. It's not an ideological goal as much as one that has a direct impact on the people in charge. You can retire when Boris leaves with more than you would if you'd continued to work during Stamar's Government.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    As long as you have enough money to survive the aftermath there's no downside to letting the business/country/Earth burn to the ground if you're selfish enough. And it's a lot easier than the never-ending and thankless task of fixing things

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    And that's the extreme version. It's more that things will be a little but worse for a lot of people (and terrible for a few) but you get a million pounds. And you can split a portion of that million pounds off to pay what you would have done via tax to the things you care about, NHS and charity etc. You just get to keep the stuff going to MP's salaries and stuff etc.

That I can do more good this way, and also get more money is a key idea - and the idea that now this is a possible thing that people are doing, you don't necessarily need to contribute as much as you would have been forced to.

• Options
    Back me over the bill, Johnson tells Tory MPs
    Boris Johnson has urged Conservative MPs to back his plan to override part of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.

In a Zoom call with about 250 of them, he said the party must not return to "miserable squabbling" over Europe.
    Yes, they should all follow Boris' example when he was a member of Mays cabinet.
    He was completely supportive the whole time.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So the new Tory line is that the EU wants to break up the UK and breaking international law is the only way to stop it!

Despite Wales and Scotland being aghast at their current plan and desire for independence is surging under Tory rule.

• Options
    Unlike Scotland, England is not exempting children under 12 from the "rule of six".

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    So wait a minute, kids cannot be in a group of more than 6 indoors

But also schools are open?

• Options
    This is somewhat annoying as my best friend and her husband have four kids. So they'll have to temporarily offload at least one kid if anyone is to visit them, if they're to stay on the right side of the law.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    101 wrote: »

Offices and pubs and restaurants are also still open, but I’m sure no groups larger than six are possible in those environments.

• Options
    By this number of daily cases in the first wave, we'd been in strict lockdown for a week.

I'm getting pretty damn worried about the second wave here. There seems to be zero drive to put stricter safety measures in place, ignoring that a lot of public goodwill has been burnt by the government.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    101 wrote: »

Offices and pubs and restaurants are also still open, but I’m sure no groups larger than six are possible in those environments.

Apparently the argument is that schools/restaurants/offices/etc have proper protocols with masking/barriers/distance/cleaning etc in place whereas domestic gatherings do not.

Which I think is a little thin but if the target is folks having a big house party or a barbecue then it does make sense

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    By this number of daily cases in the first wave, we'd been in strict lockdown for a week.

I'm getting pretty damn worried about the second wave here. There seems to be zero drive to put stricter safety measures in place, ignoring that a lot of public goodwill has been burnt by the government.

I think it's actually not quite that bad

If you look at the confirmed cases graph the gradient of the second peak is the same as the first. This was a bit surprising to me as the general mask wearing, staying home and so on have decreased the transmission rate (completely ignoring immunity and reinfection) but we're actually doing some testing now so our number of confirmed cases now will be higher than it was before for the same number of real cases.

Of course what we don't know is the degree of relation between confirmed cases and actual cases

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    We have low deaths (for now) and relatively high cases, similar to Spain and France. Whether this is because we've gotten better at testing and informing since March, or some other confounding variable isn't quite certain yet. Obviously March through July had huge numbers of undetected cases because of our abominable test and trace situation, so it's a bit difficult to directly compare.

Nevertheless, I think we'll still see some sort of heightened lockdown again quite soon. If it's delayed by a week again... well, let's just say I'll reiterate my point about the government not understanding opportunity cost.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.