As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] thread: Don't get excited, Dibby; we're just talking.

• Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    Played a Tassadar match a little bit ago (also suprising there was no Mei in it at all). The Xul was d/c at start and I grabbed him and he was my little pocket Xul that kept me company and we just destroyed anyone that tried to mess with us pretty much. Despite usually hating the AI, it was kinda nice this time, and I was honestly a tiny bit sad when he finally rejoined right about when we hit 20. The Kael also kept dropping and reconnecting every couple of minutes or so and that was frustrating. But we did manage to win the match in the end!
    5sOVSRc.png

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The new puppy dog follow AI is so bad if I'm playing melee. Uh oh, Deckard disconnected, better get him into the fight. Here boy! Follow me!

*Deckard proceeds to charge into melee right with me and gets focused and exploded*

Bad dog!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    The new puppy dog follow AI is so bad if I'm playing melee. Uh oh, Deckard disconnected, better get him into the fight. Here boy! Follow me!

*Deckard proceeds to charge into melee right with me and gets focused and exploded*

Bad dog!

i love how people have been complaining about the terrible AI since last patch and blizzard's fix for this patch is like a one sentence section in the patch notes that reads "increased AI leash range from 5 to 7"

like they all pat themselves on the back and go job well done chaps job well done we really knocked it out of the park this time lads

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't think that's what is happening at all.

I think they know it's an issue but aren't able to prioritize it, so they did what they could in the interim and documented it accordingly.

The fact that AI is such a low priority that they can't dedicate resources fixing it now it just reinforces my point that they never should've changed it in the first place. It was good enough for a Muradin bot to win an HGC game. At that point just leave it the hell alone and focus on other, more important things.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i love late-game counterpushes.

Volkaya Foundry. Enemy got the 4th robot. they push to core and leave us at 66% HP.

we counterpush, pick them off one by one and win.

Eff yeff.

• Options
    Yeah I don't think that's what is happening at all.

I think they know it's an issue but aren't able to prioritize it, so they did what they could in the interim and documented it accordingly.

The fact that AI is such a low priority that they can't dedicate resources fixing it now it just reinforces my point that they never should've changed it in the first place. It was good enough for a Muradin bot to win an HGC game. At that point just leave it the hell alone and focus on other, more important things.

I mean, it's probably not, you're right, but they also haven't said anything on it.

They're on reddit all the time responding to people and being very open and transparent about things and yet there's been zero communication about the AI situation.

Even just acknowledging that it's shit-ass awful and that they're aware of it would go a long way, but.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Dead games don't get good AI. :(

• Options
    I think Deathwing doesn't get buffed by the Weather effects?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Tencent = no thanks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Not even the stealth one?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Not even the stealth one?
    Dunno. I only ended up on Lightning stages when I played him tonight.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Ugh. Just had a rotten match where a kharazim, our only healer, spent the entire match pushing the bottom lane and ignored every objective fight throughout the entire match. Just play brawls if you want to push one lane the whole match.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Dead games don't get good AI. :(

It's not the AI we want, but it's the AI we deserve.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    HotS isn't dead. It's still getting new content.

HotS is elderly and in a nursing home.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

not the best place to be over the last four months

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

it's still hanging it there.

• Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular

it's still hanging it there.

This immediately came to mind.

1*Zhoud0k2og_RhM34wqFy8w.png

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

At least when people tested it on the PTR last week, deathwing didn't get weather bonuses from lightning and fog; but does get the shields from the snow; which is maybe balanced more but not really consistent in any way. Assuming they didnt update that in live patch without saying anything

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just think it's hilarious that a ton of people get a perceptible performance hit whenever a weather effect appears.

• Options
    God I can't get over how dumb the weather effects are.

Like okay Snow is fine it's like extra shields whatever. But Lightning either strikes when literally nothing is happening so it just does nothing, or you're chasing the enemy team down at low health and crackow they get to escape because RNGesus came down and blessed them.

And then we have fucking FOG.

I have never seen something so game breaking and warping as Fog. Jesus shit. Stealth that lasts for 40 FUCKING SECONDS. And it has all the properties of normal stealth, meaning you can get True Stealth if you stand still. Like, y'know, sure I think most people playing won't be able to utilize it well, especially in QM, but that doesn't change how utterly broken it is. When you're giving stealth to ANY HERO IN THE GAME things get real fucky.

This is the first anomaly that I look at and just go "no. fuckin' nope. get rid of it." Exp orbs I wasn't hot on at first but I could see the potential, and they fixed it up. I loved the tower changes right off the bat, but people kept complaining and then they nerfed it so much now that I think forts are actually too weak maybe. But this. Having RNG dictate games in a moba is fucked.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I think I've even seen my character hitch more then normal; haven't kept track if it was during weather but it's fairly common it seems. But I would love that instead of balance or game design choices they have to take out the weather anomoly because its so poorly programmed

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Weather effects are dumb as fuck.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Or, let me rephrase that: I don't think they're dumb conceptually; I actually think the snow effect, in particular, makes for a decent enough mechanic. But I think it should be a more-or-less continuous effect that takes place on a map designed for it. Honestly, now that I think about it, all of the mechanics would feel better if they were simply rolled into new maps, and that's how those new maps played. But as temporary effects that fire off randomly on existing maps, they're dumb as fuck.

The new Diablo 3 season starts Friday, and as I understand it, it's going to include weather effects as a seasonal inclusion, as well. My guess is Blizzard is using HotS and D3 as a testing ground for weather effects that they intend to implement somewhere else down the line.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Or, let me rephrase that: I don't think they're dumb conceptually; I actually think the snow effect, in particular, makes for a decent enough mechanic. But I think it should be a more-or-less continuous effect that takes place on a map designed for it. Honestly, now that I think about it, all of the mechanics would feel better if they were simply rolled into new maps, and that's how those new maps played. But as temporary effects that fire off randomly on existing maps, they're dumb as fuck.

The new Diablo 3 season starts Friday, and as I understand it, it's going to include weather effects as a seasonal inclusion, as well. My guess is Blizzard is using HotS and D3 as a testing ground for weather effects that they intend to implement somewhere else down the line.

I feel like there's likely an executive who thinks that weather shit in games is the hottest thing ever and is pushing it everywhere because they KNOW that it would work SOMEWHERE and would be the coolest thing ever. Overwatch also had a godawful event a year and a half ago that was made of almost entirely recycled assets (this was back before they declared a moratorium on any new content), except for an approximately 10 second portion with weather effects, and they had an entire special presentation about how awesome it was that they were working on having things like sandstorms or rain obscuring maps. Zero anything on weather shit has been seen since.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I doubt any executives even pay attention to deadgame HotS and no monetization game D3.

• Options
    I like weather effects in games. I think that they're criminally underutilized. One of my most memorable moments in gaming was playing STALKER multiplayer in a match where the weather was a heavy thunderstorm at midnight. Visibility was extremely poor. Then the area would be illuminated for the shortest of instants by a flash of lighting. In that instant, you could see an enemy and he probably saw you. Not enough time to get a good bead on him, but taking potshots randomly would just mark your own location with the muzzle flashes. So you continued to hunt each other in the dark and the rain. With each flash revealing only that you were growing ever closer to being at each other's throats.

Then people initiated a vote to set the weather to clear skies/high noon, and it was at that moment that I realized that most people are terrible and are the reason that we can't have nice things.

All of that said, I think that weather should be an aesthetic element to add immersion to games while also adding visibility/sound masking considerations in shooter games. I'm not much of a fan of weather being used as a pretense to toss out assorted buffs in a moba.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I'd be down for weather effects that do MOBA-particular effects, like turning off minimaps and vision outside of your character. But I want it to be a map mechanic.

These weather effects also somehow murder my connection. It's not like the graphics are the issue, but I rubberband like a motherfucker.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    It reminds me of old PoE (only 3 acts) where the real final boss of the game was the rain effect going into the fight. Either your connection would be fine, or your connection would implode and youd die.

• Options
    I'm definitely hitting Ctrl+Alt+F next time I play just to see if I get a framerate/ping hit.

Also, my understanding is that they're trying to find something akin to the day/night cycles in other games. Which kind of makes sense, except that those games were designed for that kind of balance up-front.

I'm not against the idea, just not sure this was the right implementation. Especially in light of the related performance issues.

• Options
    Also, my understanding is that they're trying to find something akin to the day/night cycles in other games. Which kind of makes sense, except that those games were designed for that kind of balance up-front.

Yeah, this. The Day/Night cycle in DotA is part of the bones of that game; it affects vision radius (cutting down by over 50%), and a number of heroes and items are directly affected (Keeper of the Light heals more during the day, for example,
    while Nightstalker gains like 40% movement speed and all his abilities are buffed significantly during the night). It isn't something they just tacked on to the game a few years in -- you'd have to go back to Square One with HotS (3.0!) to implement something like that effectively.

• Options
    I generally feel like the Snow is good (shakes up the meta in a map-specific way so that sustained DPS might be more valuable than burst), the Rain/Lightning is useless (the damage aura feels insignificant, and bonus speed is meaningless if everyone on the map has it at the same time), and the Fog is bad (far too difficult to balance).

• Options
    Frankly I never cared much for the day/night cycle going all the way back to Warcraft 3. It was OK in a few of the campaign missions that were heavily designed around it, but in multiplayer games I just wasn't really a fan.

• Options
    I like it, but I started off originally as a Nightstalker main/one-trick, and the Day/Night cycle was a very clear signal to me, as as new player, when I needed to transition from farming to ganking and back again.

• Options
    my favorite memory of the day/night cycle in warcraft III was baiting someone out with it as night elves.

I attacked their base at night with my army, they used their TP scroll to recall their army back to base to defend, then I used a teleportation staff item to recall my male hero and synced up my female units to hide as the hero teleported away. The enemy army, which was larger than mine, pursued towards my base to press the advantage. Once they were a bit over halfway there, I decloaked my elves and wrecked their base.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I haven't played enough yet to get a full feel of the weather but it does sound like it should've been put in brawl only first.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    At least they made it so the weather comes at predetermined times now, and isn't just randomly popping up whenever. That maybe makes things bearable.

And hey, at least it's not as bad as gems still!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    I haven't played enough yet to get a full feel of the weather but it does sound like it should've been put in brawl only first.

Fixed XD

• Options
    EbZXpiRXgAAl8jB.jpg

you love to fuckin' see it~

also yeah i caved and bought mei. the queue times are WAY down now so i was actually getting in games relatively fast. she is GOOOOOOOOOOD

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mei's very fun yeah.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    She seems to have a very high win rate in QM so far (along with buffed Cassia). I guess we'll have to see how much of that is just "new hero who dis?" over the next couple weeks.