As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I loved the Fist of the North Star Mosuo games a lot but the Yakuza one was disappointing to me. But I might not be into those games.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise isn't really a musou game though. It's more a beat-em-up/rpg/adventure game similar to the Yakuza series, (Same developers) but with the characters and head explosions of Fist of the North Star.

Speaking of Yakuza, I'm surprised Sega hasn't already ported that series onto Switch. I'm pretty sure that technically, the Switch could handle the graphics and size of the recent PS4 versions of the games, and the games themselves are the sort of experiences that work well in short bursts, perfect for playing on the go.

I think after how bad the Wii U Yakuza ports sold (shocker) they probably decided to just stick with Sony.

Last I heard, that was precisely it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    hey
    i'll be really happy if i'm wrong about a 4k switch
    we DIDN'T have any actual reason to think it would be true, though.

Didn't mean to call you out specifically or anything like that, just wanted to take the temperature of 4k Switch, so to speak. :P It was a long time ago, I wasn't sure where we arrived on that.

I don't think we ever actually linked a source on the rumors, just one of the many articles talking about it:

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-reportedly-asking-developers-to-make-4k-ready-games-suggesting-switch-upgrade

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    To be fair, those posts were pretty early into 2020 before we knew a lot of the crazy things that would happen. A 4K switch makes much more sense now here in September 2020.

No it doesn't

whoosh

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I loved the Fist of the North Star Mosuo games a lot but the Yakuza one was disappointing to me. But I might not be into those games.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise isn't really a musou game though. It's more a beat-em-up/rpg/adventure game similar to the Yakuza series, (Same developers) but with the characters and head explosions of Fist of the North Star.

Speaking of Yakuza, I'm surprised Sega hasn't already ported that series onto Switch. I'm pretty sure that technically, the Switch could handle the graphics and size of the recent PS4 versions of the games, and the games themselves are the sort of experiences that work well in short bursts, perfect for playing on the go.

I think after how bad the Wii U Yakuza ports sold (shocker) they probably decided to just stick with Sony.

Last I heard, that was precisely it.

but all the recent games are also on Xbox and PC
    Y7 is a timed Xbox Series exclusive here

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I did say "last I heard," they clearly lightened up on Xbox at some point, and PC is... well, it's PC, so I dunno.

But last year, they said they hadn't been considered (and jokingly said Sakurai wouldn't want Kiryu and Majima for Smash), while the year before that, they said:
    To be realistic towards what happened, Yakuza 1 & 2 for Wii U was a significant failure. But our goal is still to develop cross-platform as much as possible, and we know that it brings an extra audience, that it allows us to attract more people. That being said, when it comes to Switch, I am convinced that it would not be the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe the public is not expecting that kind of game on Switch. They may be used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. Regarding Xbox One, we could consider it, knowing that Xbox One users might be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. That could be an option.

So, that's basically it. They aren't really closing the door on anything, but just kind of taking it as it comes, I guess, with Nintendo being low-priority. But this pretty much covers why they're on PC and Xbox and not Nintendo now, at least in as much as what's been said.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    To be fair, those posts were pretty early into 2020 before we knew a lot of the crazy things that would happen. A 4K switch makes much more sense now here in September 2020.

No it doesn't

whoosh
    What is it that went over BahamutZERO's head? I ask because it went over my head, as well.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

No it doesn't

whoosh
    What is it that went over BahamutZERO's head? I ask because it went over my head, as well.

I think that his point is more that since 2020 has been the year of people doing shit that makes very little sense, a 4K Switch would fit right in the milieu right now in a way it wouldn't have last year.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is a 4K switch rumor the new trigger in the switch thread? Come on guys, we just came down from the mario all stars debate/arguments.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Is a 4K switch rumor the new trigger in the switch thread? Come on guys, we just came down from the mario all stars debate/arguments.

4K Switch, only available for a limited time!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    from a pure discussion, speculation, point, a 4k switch makes a lot of sense from a not portable standpoint. they have the light which is portable only. they have the og/nu switch which is dual, now they release the home only console and they cover all the consumer bases.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I will say the one strange thing is the UI on the current Switch is still freaking 720p badly upscaled while docked. Not sure how they are gonna manage 4K if they can't even manage 1080.

(Who am I kidding. The plan all along was just to integer scale the UI by 3x!)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

i think we're being decently civil about this

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The next Switch downscales everything to 240p. 4:3. No HDMI.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

4K Switch, only available for a limited time!

Also, the 4K is referring to the price, nothing else.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    did mario galaxy 2 require the pointer for the yoshi stuff? is that why it's not in the bundle?

• Options
    Probably didn't fit. You had to use the pointer in the first to get the star bits, didn't you?

• Options
    i'd have to pull out the ol system but my son and i were talking about this and we vaguely recalled that you needed the pointer to aim yoshi's tongue for certain maps. that might have been a deal breaker for not requiring joy cons.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You'd think they could make it work with the gyro instead.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just need to see like 20 solid minutes of Galaxy gameplay with just a pro controller. There are still too many "How are you going to do *this*" questions. Like the pull stars, which you have to do even just to enter the main galaxies. Or the levels where you had to balance on a ball. I mean I know how I'd do it if making the game, just have one of the triggers display the pointer and use motion controls to move it. I think they'd need to go that route regardless, because if pointer controls exist for joycon play, well there's no IR sensor so there's gotta be some way to center the pointer after inevitable drift.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Went on a little impromptu Switch shopping spree as my brother and his wife are visiting (they have also been in strict quarantine) and getting Night Trap was a request. Got that and then saw Resident Evil Revelation 1 & 2 on sale and figured, sure, why not! Something play to next month along with Luigu's Mansion 3, which I never beat and will just start over with.

But looking at the amount that could be added 20 bucks wasn't going to cut it so I got 50 added. And after the aforementioned three games I noticed I had juuuust enough for two others that showed up for sale on my wishlist, so I got Superhot and Rad as well. And now my balance is 15 cents.

Rehab on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The next Switch downscales everything to 240p. 4:3. No HDMI.

4K Switch but only in portable mode. Docked mode "interlacing mode to achieve higher frame rates - up to 30 fps!" and is now capped at 1080i.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm still pissed that Reggie actually addressed the Mother 3 fandom during an E3, basically mocking it, and it still hasn't come out.

Nintendo is basically a totalitarian regime, choosing which dreams to fulfill and and which to stomp the life out of, totally at will. They are the Toymakers of Hell, the harbingers of eternal sadness.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo plays Super Mario 3D All-Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0SOT9dYrw

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Went on a little impromptu Switch shopping spree as my brother and his wife are visiting (they have also been in strict quarantine) and getting Night Trap was a request. Got that and then saw Resident Evil Revelation 1 & 2 on sale and figured, sure, why not! Something play to next month along with Luigu's Mansion 3, which I never beat and will just start over with.

But looking at the amount that could be added 20 bucks wasn't going to cut it so I got 50 added. And after the aforementioned three games I noticed I had juuuust enough for two others that showed up for sale on my wishlist, so I got Superhot and Rad as well. And now my balance is 15 cents.

Rad is awesome, good choice.

• Options
    It was the biggest unknown for me but I figured I would take a chance on it. The GiantBomb Quicklook made it seem interesting.

Mostly right now I'm quite addicted to Into The Breach again. I have all the squads unlocked except the last one. Messing around with the Flame Behemoths now. Beat it on normal with the Steel Judokas (I am on the Squad Select screen now, otherwise I'm probably not remembering those names). My favorite squad is maybe Blitzkrieg, hard to say.

• Options
    Revelations 1 and 2 are awesome as well. I would recommend Revelations 1 first as 2 adds and improves a lot to the formula.

2 is amazing in two player. It's a great asynchronous thing where one person is the flashlight/utility and the other is the gunner. It might sound less fun for one person but in practice it works really well. And they are both pretty good lookin' games on the Switch.

Raid mode is great too, that's what you play if you both want to just kill some stuff and get into endless gun modification and leveling.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm going to play Hyrule warriors to prepare for Age of calamity.

The real question is do i malicious abuse amiibos or not.

• Options
    Raid mode is great too, that's what you play if you both want to just kill some stuff and get into endless gun modification and leveling.

That wouldn't happen to resemble the bonus Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil 4 by chance would it?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

You're capped at 5 a day, and the rewards aren't game-breaking. Spam 'em.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »

You're capped at 5 a day, and the rewards aren't game-breaking. Spam 'em.

*Looks up from switch that think's that the current year is december 12th 2834* Five a day?

Resident evil revelations 2 has the ABSOLUTE best raid mode and i will DIE on this hill.

Zunde on
  • Options

they use galaxy 2 music on the title screen lmao

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »

That wouldn't happen to resemble the bonus Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil 4 by chance would it?

It does a bit, but it's a lot better. They've refined the formula a lot over time.

If I remember Mercenaries right, it tended to be either endless fighting, or a time limit to kill as many as possible? More a score attack thing.

Raid mode is a whole bunch of very specifically designed enemy layouts among different levels. Lots of variety. And an entire relatively deep system of leveling and equipping different active and passive abilities, mixing and matching and modifying weapons. Parts that improve damage or clip size or firing rate, or "long range" that deals more damage the further enemies are from you, Fire DoT, extra damage against boss level enemies, burst fire...there's so much customization.

• Options
    That sounds really good! I liked the score attack focus of Mercenaries but that sounds like an improvement. Especially if sonewhere in there you get some actions as great as Krauser's spinning kick of death and Hunk's neck snap.

• Options
    You can get a samurai sword in revelations 2 if you level up a specific character to inherit it and it's so absurdly good if you combine it with knife perks i basically never went back to not using it after i got it.

Hyrule warriors knows that i'm being a bad boy and has given me 10 1 rupee scans in a row.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Me: "huh, that 'a monsters expedition' looks pretty neat. Surely must be switch-bound? Oh, no? Guess i should drop the devs a message just to flag that there is some interest"

Dev game front webpage: "Want to see it on Nintendo Switch? Us too!"

Me: "guess my genuinely unique input for their release strategy is not needed"

• Options
    edited September 2020
    you never need to tell any dev that they should put it on the switch
    there are literal hundreds of people who will do that for you, often as soon as a game's title is announced, even if the devs explicitly say it's not coming to switch

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    there are literal hundreds of people who will do that for you, often as soon as a game's title is announced, even if the devs explicitly say it's not coming to switch

Well yeah, because everything must come to the Switch.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I remember the Gamecube years when you’d read “coming to every major platform*.”
    *except Gamecube.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Everything should be on the switch.

Half because i only own a switch. Other half is because console purists are the most tiresome people ever and i love watching them get mad.

I really want persona 5 on the switch entirely out of spite for these people specifically.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

But if everyone thought that then nobody would tell them and they'd never know!

#getoutthevote

MhCw7nZ.gif