As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I now haven’t touched my switch at all for most of two months. My animal crossing island getting corrupted has really embittered me so much more than I thought it would. Over 200 hours of gameplay and progress lost.

So fucking mad about why basic things like cloud backups weren’t available.

I am really hoping the new rerelease of super Mario 3D world will get me back into the switch :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    anyone have any recommendations on a REALLY good third party pro controller? i gots me that left stick drift

edit: I WILL TRY HORIPAD GOD SPEED ME

These are absolutely not "really good" pro controller replacements, however, I got a pair of them for the kids a month or two ago because they were like $15 (they're $17 right now) and I figured, "even if they don't last long, that's cheap enough to at least try", and turns out, aside from some slight wonkiness with how they pair and their lights blinking annoyingly when charging, they're actually built really sturdily, have good heft, have no issues at all with latency (as far as I can tell), analog sticks feel good, etc. Now, they may still crap out sooner rather than later, I can't speak for longevity. But if anyone is looking for some wireless Switch controllers and don't want to spend much money at all, I'd say give them a shot. Oh, while the picture on amazon shows one red or one blue; both the ones I got had one side red one side blue. I have no idea why; but they're the same colors as the joycons, so the kids didn't even question it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYQ81NN

I think it has a turbo function? I haven't had a reason to test it, and the kids haven't either.

Again, these are not as good as the actual pro controller, but if anyone is needing more controllers for the kids or for guests who aren't going to be using them a lot, these are (again, so far) surprisingly better than you'd imagine for the price. I'd buy another pair of these over the $25 wired or $45 wireless ones they sell at walmart that are nintendo seal'd.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah the powerA or beboncool or a few other ones like TDWH linked all seem to work fine. Not Pro controller sturdy but "good enough" for the price. My kids really like their pokemon powerA ones.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Information on motion and touch controls in Super Mario Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afLp-zlA__0

can't watch right now

are either mandatory?

fyi, nintendo's site claims that joycons are mandatory so yaaaaaayyyyyyy

another first party nintendo game I get to buy for the kids and girlfriend but do not get to play myself

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

another first party nintendo game I get to buy for the kids and girlfriend but do not get to play myself

It's easy to misinterpret the way they asterisked a certain phrase.
    Defy gravity as you explore space in the Super Mario Galaxy™ game, originally released in 2007! Help Rosalina restore her ship by collecting Power Stars and save Princess Peach. Gently shake a Joy-Con™ controller to activate Mario’s Spin ability or pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for some extra help in Co-Star Mode*.

*If playing on Nintendo Switch Lite, detached Joy-Con controllers are required and sold separately. See support.nintendo.com/switch/play for details.

It's talking about two player mode on the Switch Lite specifically.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/you-can-use-a-pro-controller-for-super-mario-3d-all-stars-602619.phtml

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

can't watch right now

are either mandatory?

I feel like this has already been discussed. The game supports the pro controller, joycons, and apparently the touch screen controls. All three are usable. The Game Explain video you've quoted says exactly that.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii this site says Nintendo confirmed motion controls can be disabled (and they will day 1 for me).

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

can't watch right now

are either mandatory?

I feel like this has already been discussed. The game supports the pro controller, joycons, and apparently the touch screen controls. All three are usable. The Game Explain video you've quoted says exactly that.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii this site says Nintendo confirmed motion controls can be disabled (and they will day 1 for me).

awesome!

I could not view the video so I went by what I could see from nintendo

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

can't watch right now

are either mandatory?

awesome!

Makes sense! Their messaging has been awful.

• Options

can't watch right now

are either mandatory?

awesome!

Makes sense! Their messaging has been awful.

that's our nintendo :heartbeat:

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Recommend Nexomon Extinction for those of you into monster taming games.

Combat isn't as versatile as something like modern Pokemon where you can have a wide variety of team builds like weather teams, baton pass, etc, but I found myself surprisingly charmed by it and its predecessor (played that one on Steam)?

The games look oddly cheap but gorgeous at the same time and the writing is dumb and breaks the fourth wall but the humor somehow works anyway.

One of the interesting things Extinction does compare to Pokemon I find is it is surprisingly open from early on. Since theres a level scaling system, you're free to go off in the opposite direction and visit various settlements and zones, take sidequests aswell as catch a ton of different nexomon early on.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I’m gonna unnecessarily weigh in on the Galaxy 2 debacle.

Honestly, this was a no-win situation for Nintendo. Galaxy 2 is largely held as the superior Galaxy game, but with a bundle, what do you do? 64, Sunshine, and...Galaxy 2?

Or do you leave out 64, which, I’m sure people would have problems with.

I know there’s a case to be made for just including all four games, but I can understand Nintendo being reticent to make a jumbo release like that, along with the weirdness of two standalone games and Super Mario Galaxy 1+2.

Leaving aside the motion control aspect and ignoring that Nintendo themselves set the 4-game standard themselves with the collection's namesake, I would remove Super Mario 64.

Why?

Because it deserves better. Far better. It should have its own release, with an Odyssey-style HD makeover of Super Mario 64 DS, but perhaps with even more stars to collect (DS added 30 for 150 total; 180 sounds pretty good to me). Maybe another playable character-- like Peach, once you rescue her (something Odyssey should have done, IMO).

And include an HD version of the original -- what's in 3D All-Stars, basically -- as a bonus.

And you don't release it for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. -- you wait until next year, when it's the 25th anniversary of Super Mario 64 itself.

Because dammit, that's what a game as revolutionary as that deserves. Not being shuffled out for another game's anniversary so scalpers can mess themselves over a handful of physical copies before being thrown back into darkness for however long they decide to let it languish.

I mean, who’s to say they aren’t doing both? Cash in twice on Mario 64 nostalgia. That being said, I doubt they’d ever make a 64 remake. Better to just make new games.

I honestly cannot understand that. Nintendo is the richest company in Japan, and that's in actual cash, not abstract market cap or anything like that; plus their stock is up and the only thing limiting their revenue is a manufacturing bottleneck.

They can have as many teams as they want making as many games as they feel like, not to mention a ton of other very skillful companies that know how to make a great remake/remaster/port and would be dying to accept the project.

nintendo may have a million reasons not to make a good Mario 64 on switch, but lack of manpower is not one of them.
    they could remake all of the games from all of their previous consoles from scratch and still have more than enough people to create new mario games. (yeah i'm being hyperbolic but it's probably true even to that extreme, and more than true enough for two or three mario games that will sell a fuckton.)

EDIT: I'm not singling out Dover, just picked his post as a general example.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Been playing Potata, a platformer-puzzler. I'd say it's good but not great; the art is wonderful and some of the puzzles are genuinely challenging. what's nice is you can use collectables to buy your way past a puzzle if you really need to, but collecting enough to do do requires more challenging platforming than otherwise. There's some translation issues (the devs are Polish) but it comes off to me more charming than annoying. But the controls Are holding it back a bit for me, just a little too imprecise.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Video

Wow . . .

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I've decided to sell a good portion of my collection to simplify and to get it down to the stuff I truly love and will play again at some point. It's strange to slowly see my shelves empty. :P

Turns out my Chibi Robo Gamecube will go for around 180.00 right now. Game prices have gone crazy!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So I've decided to sell a good portion of my collection to simplify and to get it down to the stuff I truly love and will play again at some point. It's strange to slowly see my shelves empty. :P

Turns out my Chibi Robo Gamecube will go for around 180.00 right now. Game prices have gone crazy!

That’s because it’s a stone cold classic! The slow unlocking of the play environment through exploration found in that game was phenomenally well done.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I had to sell a huge chunk of my collection a few years back for medical bills and stuff. Rebuilding that is getting nuts.

Paper Mario, Chibi Robo, Skies of Arcadia, Twin Snakes, F-Zero, etc.

I'm just getting Gamecube stuff back because I have a specific project in mind, which makes it easier because I can sell off 360 and GBA and Dreamcast and the rest, but still. I only recently saved up enough to get Lost Kingdoms 2 and Baten Kaitos Origins back onto my shelf. Still a lot left to do.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I'm not selling anything but I had the same feeling looking up some of the Saturn games I have. For example, I bought a brand new US copy of Saturn Bomberman for nearly $60 back in 2005 (and I felt I maybe went a little too crazy paying that much). Now, according to pricecharting.com, complete it has gone for over $400. Symphony Of the Night on Saturn i got for $55 in 2005 (admittedly, I felt this was a pretty good deal as it regularly went for more than that) complete, now pricecharting.com says it's worth nearly $150.

Back in the Gamecube days, I had a feeling some games would eventually be worth a lot. I can see I was definitely not wrong about Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Japan is getting some more SNES games this month. Hopefully the west will get some more soon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq6hk6Bpmto

Edit:

Whoops, looks like they were already announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeBtDePLk0

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I am happy to replay the DKCs for the billionth time (you know how some kids had a Mario game when they were little and that's the game they played forever? I had Donkey Kong Country; that's my platforming childhood), but I'm sad that I won't be able to buy-to-own it on my Switch.

I mean like sure, I still have my SNES + carts and I have my New 3Ds XL with the DKCs downloaded - but not everything with a microchip in my household has a DKC on it, and frankly that's horseshit.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Super Picross is probably what got me into picross. But I never finished it because I never fully understood the tricks and intricacies of it back then. Now I do, and I am so ready to finally put that game in its place. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    tutorial for picross, since it's all in japanese and nintendo won't give us a manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrZ07PVo5I&ab_channel=Nintendo

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yeah, I had to sell a huge chunk of my collection a few years back for medical bills and stuff. Rebuilding that is getting nuts.

Paper Mario, Chibi Robo, Skies of Arcadia, Twin Snakes, F-Zero, etc.

I'm just getting Gamecube stuff back because I have a specific project in mind, which makes it easier because I can sell off 360 and GBA and Dreamcast and the rest, but still. I only recently saved up enough to get Lost Kingdoms 2 and Baten Kaitos Origins back onto my shelf. Still a lot left to do.

Man a couple years ago I just packed up all my Gamecube stuff up and posted it on Facebook for $400. Thousand year door, Twin Snakes, Chibi Robo, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, SSB Melee, Tony Hawk 3, Resident Evil 4, Gameboy Player, Wavebird and 2 regular controllers. It sold in 10 seconds. Clearly didn’t think that one through.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Video

Wow . . .

This isn't as big a "gotcha" as people might think.

If the goal of the release is to provide essentially the same game experience as before, including the original character models etc. but with some improvements here and there, then emulation is definitely the way to go, especially if it can be done accurately. The guy in the video also comes to this same conclusion.

The alternative is going to a lot of effort in reproducing the old code on a different architecture (one that may not even stay valid for future re-releases and projects) in an extreme effort to...just make it feel exactly the way it used to. And in fact, the porting process often means tons of minor changes, bugfixes that make old strategies stop working, remove some of the fun of being able to pull off the old tricks the way you used to. Do they go to great lengths to reproduce the same bugs to let people have their fun? Or just give you the game as it was at release, with small improvements that won't interfere with those old details?

Emulating isn't "cheating" or anything. When dealing with code, you can either go "when A is pressed, perform this subroutine that makes Mario jump," or you can go "when A is pressed, interpret each line of code that the N64 would've understood as a subroutine that makes Mario jump." They both give you the output you want.

If anyone is disappointed with this particular release, it should be on the basis of the features that are offered rather than something as superficial as whether it was emulated or not. After all, it would be possible to both a) emulate these games with a lot more features than are being offered, and b) code a to-the-metal port of these games that don't even upscale or change the controls.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Video

Wow . . .

If the goal of the release is to provide essentially the same game experience as before, including the original character models etc. but with some improvements here and there, then emulation is definitely the way to go, especially if it can be done accurately. The guy in the video also comes to this same conclusion.

The alternative is going to a lot of effort in reproducing the old code on a different architecture (one that may not even stay valid for future re-releases and projects) in an extreme effort to...just make it feel exactly the way it used to. And in fact, the porting process often means tons of minor changes, bugfixes that make old strategies stop working, remove some of the fun of being able to pull off the old tricks the way you used to. Do they go to great lengths to reproduce the same bugs to let people have their fun? Or just give you the game as it was at release, with small improvements that won't interfere with those old details?

Emulating isn't "cheating" or anything. When dealing with code, you can either go "when A is pressed, perform this subroutine that makes Mario jump," or you can go "when A is pressed, interpret each line of code that the N64 would've understood as a subroutine that makes Mario jump." They both give you the output you want.

If anyone is disappointed with this particular release, it should be on the basis of the features that are offered rather than something as superficial as whether it was emulated or not. After all, it would be possible to both a) emulate these games with a lot more features than are being offered, and b) code a to-the-metal port of these games that don't even upscale or change the controls.

The reason people are unimpressed by emulators is that fans produce similar results for free, as a hobby. People expect more out of professional work. It's... not a complex sentiment.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Video

Wow . . .

The reason people are unimpressed by emulators is that fans produce similar results for free, as a hobby. People expect more out of professional work. It's... not a complex sentiment.

Also I feel like Nintendo started the whole remaster business with re-done graphics/sound for the original SNES All-Stars.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

Another thing is happening, temper your expectations, etc etc

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Edit: beaten. Looking forward for more bakugan info!

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    What is Nintendo's definition of "publishing partners"? Is it just any other 3rd party; EA, Activision, etc? Or is it their mostly owned studios like MonolithSoft and Retro?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    What is Nintendo's definition of "publishing partners"? Is it just any other 3rd party; EA, Activision, etc? Or is it their mostly owned studios like MonolithSoft and Retro?

It seems to be any 3rd party publishing on the console. 'Publishing Partners' seems like a fancier way of describing them.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Fucking Bakugan

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Sure, but ultimately that's also an argument about features, not emulated vs. entirely re-coded.

If there were two versions of the game in front of you:
    • This same game we're getting, except it's been coded directly for the Switch architecture
    • A version that's being emulated, but with a bevy of options, "new" vs. "DS" vs. "classic" texturing/model options for Mario 64, support for the Cube controller, play as Luigi in Mario 64 and Sunshine, etc. etc.

You would most likely prefer the second one. It's not about whether the game is emulated or not.

TelMarine wrote: »
    Also I feel like Nintendo started the whole remaster business with re-done graphics/sound for the original SNES All-Stars.

And this also goes back to exactly what I said: notably in SNES All-Stars, they introduced a bug in SMB1 where Mario's velocity is reversed when hitting a brick with his head, so he's "sucked up" rather than rebounding off, ruining the feel of the original.

I know in this day and age we have patches, but it's just another example of why emulation might be a better choice in order to give people the exact experience they had when it first came out.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I never really played much Mario 64 on the N64, but I did play some 64 DS - and really couldn't get on with the controls using the touchscreen or the unfiltered textures (the latter an issue I had with other games on the system, the look just really grated on me - perhaps the PSP spoiled me in that era - so I tended mostly towards 2D games on the DS). And Sunshine and Galaxy I've yet to play at all. Kind of hoping I'll get on with them all; I do often bounce off Nintendo games that are otherwise widely beloved, but not always.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    These games were always going to be emulated, expecting anything else would be crazy. Rewriting even old game architectures from scratch is a ton of work, and I'm sure Nintendo would rightfully rather put that effort into new releases.

sig.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    With a massive reverse engineering effort due to not having source code, fans made a port of Mario 64 to PCs and various homebrew consoles that has been upgraded to 60 FPS, widescreen, analog camera control, and at least few improved models. That is what makes Nintendo's efforts look so paltry.

Emulation is at best just like the original, except for added input lag. Especially compounding a game designed for CRTs/wired controllers like Mario 64. The fan port feels better and more authentic for that reason alone.

At least we have a pretty good idea now of how Metroid Prime Trilogy is probably going to run.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Reviews for Super Mario 3D All-Stars are coming out and they seem to be mostly good, though not a huge surprise.

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-3d-all-stars-reviews-roundup/

GameSpot – 8 / 10
    Destructoid – 8.5 / 10
    Venturebeat – 4 / 5
    VG247 – 4 / 5
    USgamer – 4 / 5
    Gamereactor – 8 / 10
    Eurogamer – N/A
    GameXplain – “Liked-a-Lot”
    IGN – N/A
    Game Informer – N/A
    Kotaku – N/A

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The major game sites can't rate the games poorly because "Nintendo is just reselling ROMs in a nakedly anti-consumer way" because their user base would flip out as they do whenever the beautiful purity of a Nintendo release is questioned for any reason. The only match for the backwards business methods of Nintendo at times is their fans rabid desire to do free PR work for them.

• Options
    With a massive reverse engineering effort due to not having source code, fans made a port of Mario 64 to PCs and various homebrew consoles that has been upgraded to 60 FPS, widescreen, analog camera control, and at least few improved models. That is what makes Nintendo's efforts look so paltry.

I'm not a fan of basing any judgement on the fact that certain obsessives sometimes do a better job for free. We would be here all day, condemning nearly any artistic endeavor for not doing it as good as the homebrewers. Modders had better base building mods for Fallout before Fallout 4's implementation. Modders do bigger and better expansions than some officially sold expansions. People write the rare fanfic better than the core fiction. People write scripts better than multimillion dollar movies. Translators lovingly translate games that are never officially released in english, when the translation is sitting right there, ready to go. Fan wikis always contain more accurate info than game guides sold in the store.

You will always find somebody willing to do it for free and better. Sometimes the Christian Whiteheads and Elianoras get hired in a more official capacity, but it's rare.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The major game sites can't rate the games poorly because "Nintendo is just reselling ROMs in a nakedly anti-consumer way" because their user base would flip out as they do whenever the beautiful purity of a Nintendo release is questioned for any reason. The only match for the backwards business methods of Nintendo at times is their fans rabid desire to do free PR work for them.

Besides the fact that this isn't how game sites work, how is this anti-consumer?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293