As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited to have you playing that game. It's a real treat (even if I have a few minor gripes at the end of the day).

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm so excited to have you playing that game. It's a real treat (even if I have a few minor gripes at the end of the day).

Some of the mechanics are kind of opaque, and I've had to do some save-scumming as I've experimented with what does what and how, but it's been worth it thus far

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got back into AC Odyssey. Cleared basically all of the island of Pehpka looking for a Cultist there. Having it be a Minotaur-themed tourist trap is very good.
    Yes, I found the real Minotaur too. Knossos is a really cool area.

It gave me the last piece of the Amazon armor, which is basically Wonder Woman cosplay. Kassandra has, uh, real big arms and shoulders.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2020
    Spent a couple of hours with Phantom Doctrine this afternoon (thanks again, @Ketar !)

So far, I'm pretty into it. I had a mission where I was tasked with capturing or eliminating an enemy agent. Typical tactical mission, yeah? Except, the mission was set at what appeared to be a college campus in Beirut. In the operational zone, there were two buildings. One was a library, and the other was an apartment or a dorm - some sort of housing situation.

It is notable that this wasn't a "secret base," with the university acting as a cover. It was, first and foremost, a place for and filled with civilians. My agents were plainclothes, and could walk freely in any non-restricted area. Because, yeah, it's a school.

There was an office in the library that the enemy agent was positioned in. There was a random room in the housing building, up towards the top floor, rigged with surveillance equipment and the tape deck for the CCTV. There were armed guards peppered throughout the campus, but they weren't on high alert. They weren't barking orders, or patrolling, or otherwise actively intimidating people. They appeared and acted more like campus security than KGB tools.

The whole setup was so fucking The Americans. Agents embedded, shielded as much by civilians and Illusions of Normalcy as by weaponry. If I went in hot, I would be burning my agents, I would be putting civilians at risk, and I would be letting the enemy know that I knew they were there.

I had two agents. One would grab the enemy agent, the other would take the CCTV tapes - both to cover the kidnapping AND see who else has come to visit the enemy agent. I dodged eyelines, I got my people positioned. Alerted no guards, harmed no civilians. Infiltration successful. But I could tell that exfiltration would be a problem. Alarms would sound when shit popped off, and the CCTV hub was on a high floor. I summoned my evac early - I wanted that van idling and ready.

And then I acted. Agent Castanet rushed into the enemy agent's office, pistol whipped him, and threw him over her shoulder. No alarms. Agent Claymore rushed the CCTV hub and got spotted. She ducked the enemy fire, but an alarm sounded before she could subdue the soldier in the room.

Castanet slipped out a back door while fireman-carrying an unconscious enemy agent, and surreptitiously made her way to the evac parking lot. Claymore had to sprint down a flight of stairs, barrel through a civilian's apartment, leap out a second floor window, and dodge enemy gunshots on her way to the getaway van.

The slow, methodical exploration, the careful piecing together of a plan, the adrenaline-fueled climactic escape - shit absolutely ruled.

4cf.png

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I've just finished up XCOM 2 and Jesus Christ, Central, shut the fuck up.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I've just finished up XCOM 2 and Jesus Christ, Central, shut the fuck up.
    Between him and the Chosen, thank God for mods

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, playing d:os2

holy shit the start of this game is awful

you're poorly geared, have no skills essentially, and constantly having to avoid encounters and reload saves

once I actually managed to get out of fort joy it completely opened up and now I'm actually able to fight things

for the love of god game devs, chapter 1 is meant to ease you into game play, not tell you to 'figure this shit out' and then throw you into absolutely impossible fights until you do

What difficulty are you playing on? I remember "classic" in D:OS 1 being exactly what you described

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am enjoying Odyssey a bunch.

There are so many games I kinda started, and then just fell by the wayside. My backlog grows even as I play them!

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I got back into AC Odyssey. Cleared basically all of the island of Pehpka looking for a Cultist there. Having it be a Minotaur-themed tourist trap is very good.
    Yes, I found the real Minotaur too. Knossos is a really cool area.

It gave me the last piece of the Amazon armor, which is basically Wonder Woman cosplay. Kassandra has, uh, real big arms and shoulders.

There's a reason I transmogged that armor on for......most of the game

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    DRG is firmly in the "lots of fun with a group, absolutely pointless alone" column, so it's no surprise you're being recruited.

Nah, it's still a blast alone

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    DRG is more fun in a group, but groups are also terrible 60% of the time. On H3 and lower its usually fine but I found H4 to be pretty shaky.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

you're poorly geared, have no skills essentially, and constantly having to avoid encounters and reload saves

once I actually managed to get out of fort joy it completely opened up and now I'm actually able to fight things

for the love of god game devs, chapter 1 is meant to ease you into game play, not tell you to 'figure this shit out' and then throw you into absolutely impossible fights until you do

yeah the combat encounters are damn near impossible if you're under leveled, and the game does next to nothing to separate fights you can't win off the critical path

later on in the game you can get everyone teleportation and movement skills that can let you cheese/exploit your way out of encounters where you're not geared well enough to keep up with the level curve

but for now you just have to slowly sneak around to find fights that you can win, so you can farm enough xp to keep up with the difficulty curve

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played a few missions of XCOM Chimera Squad yesterday and that's pretty cool, even if you are playing supercops

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Played some of The Eternal Castle [REMASTERED] last night and it's pretty good! Love the art style and how it sort of just suggests things, and the music and sound are great too. Controls are a little clunky but nothing too awful and nothing that I can't get used to.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    holy crap white noise 2 is terrifyng

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    ok, I have no idea how to get this collectible in Celeste, chapter 1
    spent a bit more time focusing on the satellite dish. I can't seem to interact with it, the monitor, or the birds. What I know:
    - the dish and monitor blink in a set pattern: white, purple, blue, red, purple, yellow
    - the birds and the colors match, which implies the one is affected by the other.
    - there's a tone attached to each color
    - purple is the only repeated color
    - when the birds touch and disperse, there's a blur, like there's something there

I assume I have to get the birds to form the shape of a heart instead of the ... flower? arrow? gemstone? to which they default, presumably by adjusting something

it's just that none of my tools allow me to adjust anything. Which suggests I have to adjust something elsewhere, but afaict none of the chapters (or screens) interact like that.

I've considered that it's a Simon Says thing, but there are five colors and only three buttons. Well, seven if you count the d-pad, and nine if start and select are a thing. So maybe there's a Konami Code type deal, but I don't recall any 6-digit codes; and even then I don't have any colors associated with the d-pad.

I'm not sure if the satellite dish is feeding the signal to the computer or if the dish is broadcasting what the computer shows. If the latter, maybe I'm looking for a diskette that changes the signal ... but again, there haven't really been those sort of collectibles.

what am I missing?

Tamin on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    spent a bit more time focusing on the satellite dish. I can't seem to interact with it, the monitor, or the birds. What I know:
    - the dish and monitor blink in a set pattern: white, purple, blue, red, purple, yellow
    - the birds and the colors match, which implies the one is affected by the other.
    - when the birds touch and disperse, there's a blur, like there's something there

I assume I have to get the birds to form the shape of a heart instead of the ... flower? arrow? gemstone? to which they default, presumably by adjusting something

it's just that none of my tools allow me to adjust anything. Which suggests I have to adjust something elsewhere, but afaict none of the chapters (or screens) interact like that.

I've considered that it's a Simon Says thing, but there are five colors and only three buttons. Well, seven if you count the d-pad, and nine if start and select are a thing. So maybe there's a Konami Code type deal, but I don't recall any 6-digit codes; and even then I don't have any colors associated with the d-pad.

I'm not sure if the satellite dish is feeding the signal to the computer or if the dish is broadcasting what the computer shows. If the latter, maybe I'm looking for a diskette that changes the signal ... but again, there haven't really been those sort of collectibles.

what am I missing?

I'm going to try to be very direct without spelling it out for you. I know the solution in principle but never actually went and did it. You may prefer to wait for a Celeste expert's response instead, in case this reveals too much.
    Each direction of air-dash corresponds to a color.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Last Epoch is turning out to be really fun. It's a Diablo like with some really fun classes like necromancer and Lich and all the skills have an insane amount of customizability to them.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Kupi wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

what am I missing?

I'm going to try to be very direct without spelling it out for you. I know the solution in principle but never actually went and did it. You may prefer to wait for a Celeste expert's response instead, in case this reveals too much.
    Each direction of air-dash corresponds to a color.

I wondered about that. Thanks!
    I recognized they were dashing, but ... I dunno, didn't think much about the directions they were going. Obvious in retrospect.

Tamin on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

The game swings wildly at times, but I felt it was at its most difficult in the starting stages. Which is very much the case for a lot of CRPGs, where one of the hardest parts of the game is gonna be the onboarding during the intro area.

Once you leave the island Fort Joy is on (can't remember the name) and go to the next area, I honestly encourage you to look up a map of the area that has minimum level recommendations super-imposed on top of it. Its not terrible at first, but you'll spend a decent amount of time after awhile figuring out an area is not meant for you to go to by just getting fucking nuked by random encounters there.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    My friends and I found the beginning of act 4 to be particularly brutal as well.

Act 3 was a total breeze by comparison.

They really could have worked on their balancing a bit more.

• Options
    i honestly think that the level scaling (the multiplier for player damage, enemy health, and gear) in D:OS2 is to the game's great detriment

it adds very little to the game aside from forcing you into a lot of sidequests so that you can keep your minimum level equal with critical path quests

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    My friends and I found the beginning of act 4 to be particularly brutal as well.

Act 3 was a total breeze by comparison.

They really could have worked on their balancing a bit more.

It is true, although to be fair it's a hell of thing balancing a true CRPG that gives you so many leveling, gear and party options. Your party focusing on summons and high physical damage might cakewalk through an area that feels like a brick wall to my party focused on debuffs and arcane damage.

D:OS2 is to some extent a puzzle game. To some extent you need to sequence the various encounters on each map so you don't hit one you are too underleveled for, while also not leaving any encounters (and their precious XP) behind.

Also the game is very gear dependent. If your weapons and armor are even 3+ levels under your character level, you are going to be fielding whiffle ball bats and spitwads. On each map I would usually lavish a couple of key merchants with presents to get max rep and then use them primarily for getting good prices on sold loot and for leveling up gear. (There is a mod that lets you level your weapons and armor with you if you do not fancy that particular fetish grind.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    5vNOyDb.gif
    happy birthday Big D!

• Options
    Oh Diablo 2...what a game. So many sleepless nights in LANs, so much panic and rage when playing a hc char on that goddamn laggy bnet

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have never beaten Diablo 2

Can never get past the jungle

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've been playing Caesar 4 (which owns) but man it's got me hankering for a Black And White 2 re release. Hard not to think how much better this would be with a giant cow.

• Options
    What game wouldn't be better with a giant cow?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

yeah you get someone to powerlevel you past that bit

jungle is the worst

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

jungle is the worst

That would require me to play with other people though

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    last time I played Diablo 2 was at a like, throwback LAN party

we brought our computers over and with the help of coffee, weed, and Adderall, steamrolled D2 and both expansions and then we slept in a pile for like, 12 hours.

happy birthday, Diablo 2!

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

jungle is the worst

That would require me to play with other people though

not necessarily. You could just send someone your save and let them beat the area, then return it.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    You can host a LAN game, then right from start type in /players 8

Increases the difficulty to the same lvl if 8 players were on. Then when you get to Act 3 go back to /players 1

You'll just breeze through it at that point.

EDIT: Yeah I forgot to mention why it would be a breeze, but Lars added it lol. I hadn't had coffee yet I swear

Dixon on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I believe /players8 works even in offline mode, so you don't need to do a LAN game.

It's important to note that it also increases the loot and XP as if 8 players were present, so it's good to use it from the start to get a nice headstart and then dial it back as things get tougher.

• Options
    I wonder if my original disk copies of warcraft 3 and frozen throne are worth anything now that they bungled the remastered version so badly

• Options
    and then we slept in a pile

depressperado furry status confirmed

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I beat Diablo 2 once.

Ripped that gem right outta the guys head and stuffed into an angels head and then one of them was the devil and I beat them. I know all about Diablo 2.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Really, aside from collector display value, the CD Key is the only important part of the classic releases.

I haven't booted WC3 since the remaster came out, but didn't I hear that they patched classic to fuck it up somehow too?

Lars on
  • Options
    Act 3 is my favorite D2 act! It even has the best music

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.