As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Let is Snow

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    some monster, some absolute villain actually cast Witch's Vengeance and declared "Dogs" as the type

pretty fucked up

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    some monster, some absolute villain actually cast Witch's Vengeance and declared "Dogs" as the type

pretty fucked up

Hey, it's canonical

8bknnficuh2c.jpg

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Game 1 Turn 4 BABY
    en6thyp4dmal.png

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm still not quite sure why the mono-mud deck is white instead of blue or green

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    It's white for the board wipes. That's what I've found I've needed most.
    Game 2 Turn 4 BABY LET'S GO
    nty8wuojd9dg.png

*edit*
    I'm going to expand on why I picked White and ask why you think a different color might be better.

First, I want to be as close to colorless as possible. Is it the best? No. But I don't feel the need to play the best decks. I want to brew and play what sounds fun to me.

Why Green? Ramp? The colorless ramp is already good enough. Pay-offs? The colorless pay-offs are amazing.

Why Blue? Emry? I actually started with Blue and Emry but moved away from it when the deck shifted from Aggro to Control. Don't need Sai or Mono-U Tezzaret. Tezzaret, Master of the Bridge seems awesome for this deck but is Blue and Black so that's way out. So, counter spells? Nah.

White has board wipes and Planeswalker spot removal that I can ramp out and that's what I always seem to need most.

BreakfastPM on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So i guess I've got a bug where I have all the dog forms? This greyhound is sucha good boy

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Rules/Math quiz time!

Turn 1 I play Pelt Collector
    https://scryfall.com/card/grn/141/pelt-collector

Turn 2 I play Conclave Mentor
    https://scryfall.com/card/m21/216/conclave-mentor

This makes the Pelt Collector a 3/3 (+1/+1 counter from its own ability, plus an additional one from the Mentor)

Turn 3 I cast Invigorating Surge on the Pelt Collector, and my opponent immediately concedes.
    https://scryfall.com/card/m21/190/invigorating-surge

How big did the Pelt Collector get?

Answer:
    10/10
    It has 2 counters on it to start. Invigorating Surge first adds one, and the Mentor’s ability adds another bringing it to four. Then the second part of the spell resolves, doubling the number of counters by adding four more, which triggers the Mentor again, adding an additional (ninth counter.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Okay so I'd like to make a blue-white flicker Yorion pile

Do I

splash Green or Black?

Or do I in fact stick to blue-white. With Elite Guardmage, Prince, Barrin etc I should have plenty to use

• Options
    there's Niambi now as well

• Options
    M E G A
    J A N K
    mrlezujs2qxu.png

more like
    Jiangk
    am I right?

Basic game plan is "make big robots" using Steel Overseer to put counters on everything and Conclave Mentor to double the counters being added.

Secondary game plan is make some of those robots also ramp-bots for bigger stonecoils, flashier Karn plays, and eventually Ugin. Because most of my shit is colorless, an Ugin wipe is most likely to be strongly in my favour.

Too clever for my own good gameplan is to use Jiang to turn all those robots with counters on them into mana dorks to accelerate Ugin ramp. Though Jiang also puts counters on stuff which works well with the Conclave Mentor.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    M E G A
    J A N K
    mrlezujs2qxu.png

more like
    Jiangk
    am I right?

Basic game plan is "make big robots" using Steel Overseer to put counters on everything and Conclave Mentor to double the counters being added.

Secondary game plan is make some of those robots also ramp-bots for bigger stonecoils, flashier Karn plays, and eventually Ugin. Because most of my shit is colorless, an Ugin wipe is most likely to be strongly in my favour.

Too clever for my own good gameplan is to use Jiang to turn all those robots with counters on them into mana dorks to accelerate Ugin ramp. Though Jiang also puts counters on stuff which works well with the Conclave Mentor.

I'm running similar-ish!
    ejjlwx56in43.png
    auxbdq6ytxl4.png
    Deck
    2 Bonders' Enclave (IKO) 245
    3 Labyrinth of Skophos (THB) 243
    4 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
    4 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
    3 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9
    4 Powerstone Shard (DAR) 227
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
    3 Mystic Forge (M20) 233
    2 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1
    16 Plains (M19) 263
    2 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
    2 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) 15
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
    3 Treasure Map (XLN) 250
    3 Banishing Light (THB) 4
    4 Solemn Simulacrum (M21) 239

Sideboard
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
    1 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
    1 Helm of the Host (DAR) 217
    1 God-Pharaoh's Statue (WAR) 238
    1 Platinum Angel (M10) 218
    4 Meteor Golem (M19) 241
    1 Thran Temporal Gateway (DAR) 233
    1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
    1 Akroma's Memorial (M13) 200
    1 Parhelion II (WAR) 24
    1 Conqueror's Galleon (XLN) 234
    1 Sparkhunter Masticore (M21) 240

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I haven't done it yet, but I really wanna use goblin cratermaker to blow up a ugin, because that is hilarious to me.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Picked up one prerelease box. Every rare was under $2 except for one. The alternate art grim tutor. That’s a spicy meatball. I managed to score two cat lords and one doggo lord. So I was pretty happy.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So I attended a paper prerelease last night and it was a ton of fun, went 3-1 with a very aggro R/G deck and was lucky enough to pull an Elder Gargaroth and a foil Azusa. Also props to my LGS, who did a great job of running a physical event in the time of COVID-19. 16 player cap, double PPE required for all players (mask and face shield), staggered seating, wiping down tables between matches with disinfectant, asking players not to touch each others cards, and having a gloved employee distribute basic lands for deckbuilding. Didn't really detract from the experience at all, and it was really nice to play paper Magic again.

I also purchased a Japanese box of Ikoria to get the "welcome back" promos, and I'm super excited to open it. I know Ikoria hasn't really held much value outside of the special showcase frame stuff, but I love both the comic book frames and the Godzilla frames so much.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So, I have no idea how, but it turns out that if you just drop dinosaurs and turn them sideways, well:
    unknown.png

Seriously, the deck is dumb as bricks. How did I make it all the way from Silver to Mythic with this thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    surprise surprise, my favorite draft archetype so far is green-black. That Scythe equipment is no joke, it's super efficient even with just one more counter on it, and can balloon from there pretty quick.

(UW is probably stronger but whatever)

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    surprise surprise, my favorite draft archetype so far is green-black. That Scythe equipment is no joke, it's super efficient even with just one more counter on it, and can balloon from there pretty quick.

(UW is probably stronger but whatever)

I went 7-1 with a UW draft pile I expected to go even at best. Turns out flying is good and also strong.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    my best run so far has been the classic "Terror of the Peaks + other creatures.dec"

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I think I actually got my purchase price out of that Japanese box of Ikoria, which is wild because I hadn't checked the values lately and Ikoria is a pretty cheap set all things considered. Here's the hits, Nethroi, Kogla, Obosh, Titan's Nest, Babygodzilla, and Spacegodzilla are foils:

ikoriapulls.jpg

jgeis on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    jgeis wrote: »
    I think I actually got my purchase price out of that Japanese box of Ikoria, which is wild because I hadn't checked the values lately and Ikoria is a pretty cheap set all things considered. Here's the hits, Nethroi, Kogla, Obosh, Titan's Nest, Babygodzilla, and Spacegodzilla are foils:

ikoriapulls.jpg

That Spacegodzilla isn't just foil and full art. It's got the original "death corona" name on it! I don't know what having Japanese text does to the price but that's probably going to be worth a ton.

*edit*
    One's going on ebay for 140$

BreakfastPM on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    There are no non-"death corona" versions in print - the next print runs are just going to drop that card entirely. The "void invader" version is exclusive to Arena, AFAIK.
    But also, yeah, it's just as rare as every other Godzilla card and is going to be even rarer as they stop printing that card in particular.

$140 a bit much - you can get a foil japanese Death Corona for $23 on TCGPlayer. If you scroll down on that eBay page there's cheaper ones even there!

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah going for on ebay does not mean getting

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya the trick with EBay is to search for already sold items if checking for prices.

There'll always been a bunch of way overpriced stuff on there that never actually sells.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    this one has been promising so far, but I feel like there's room for improvement

Dimir Rogue/Flash
    zvoobyez2npd.png

Basic game plan is classic flash, everything except Rankle can be played on the opponents turn

Notes/good synergies:
    * I've tried a few different flash decks with Slitherwisp and found it underwhelming but it really seems to work well here. Dimir Mutate Flash with stuff like Pouncing Shoreshark and Dirge Bat don't really work with it as they're expensive enough that you're not usually going to get to cast more than one a turn, and rarely on the same turn as you play Slitherwisp. Here I can drop it and a couple more flash cards all at once, and if I have a Nightbonder out to discount the cost on them I can often chain a bunch of flash spells with the card draw Slitherwisp provides suddenly going very wide at the end of the opponents turn for a big swing the following
    * Faerie Vandal + Sea-Dasher Octopus forever
    * Lochmere Serpent is *such* a cool card. A 7/7 with flash that I can often cast on turn 4 or 5 with the Nightbonder discount is already an excellent finisher, and then you add the ability to make it unblockable, and you can draw cards, and if it dies or you discard it (hello Rankle) you can recall it to hand and take a bunch of Uros or resurrection targets out of the opponents graveyard at the same time

Areas that could be improved:
    * Drown in the Loch is a very good, versatile counter/removal spell provided you've milled the opponent a bit. If I don't draw a Thieves' Guild Enforcer its usefulness drops off considerably. There's not a lot of other instant-speed mill though. I have considered replacing the Brineborn Cutthroats with Overwhelmed Apprentices. They grow to be decent bodies against opponents with nothing to block them, but with no evasion they can be easily chump-blocked. The apprentice doesn't really fit the rest of the gameplan though, but it does Scry 2 which is useful enough on its own. If I made this change I'd probably replace the temples with fabled passages.
    * Rankle doesn't have flash, but he is a rogue, and Haste means he can attack immediately anyway so I'm inclined to keep him?

• Options
    update: I fucking love Lochmere Serpent with my whole entire heart

RWbphnLl.png

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Right now my favourite thing about Lochmere Serpent is that it eats a Uro

• Options

MaRo posted his usual Odds & Ends article for Core 2021 and most interestingly he talks about the return of phasing and making it a deciduous keyword. Basically, phasing allows R&D to play around with flicker effects that don't trigger ETB/LTB effects, and allows cards to keep counters, auras, equipment, etc. It also solves how to reprint Oubliette.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

MaRo posted his usual Odds & Ends article for Core 2021 and most interestingly he talks about the return of phasing and making it a deciduous keyword. Basically, phasing allows R&D to play around with flicker effects that don't trigger ETB/LTB effects, and allows cards to keep counters, auras, equipment, etc. It also solves how to reprint Oubliette.

To clarify, they're not thinking of making the keyword phasing deciduous as such, but "phasing out" is a keyword action that will probably see more use going forward.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »

To clarify, they're not thinking of making the keyword phasing deciduous as such, but "phasing out" is a keyword action that will probably see more use going forward.

That sounds like a much better usage. Frankly, the keyword "phasing" as a drawback was probably the stupidest application of the mechanic. Having stuff phase out on command is much more useful and potentially flavorful. IIRC Frenetic Efreet was one of the most played creatures in its day because it managed to use phasing out as an advantage.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Had a nice sealed pool that let me play all 6 rares, although two of them were lands (GB Temple and Fabled Passage). Luckily my colors could support the other four (Scooze, Vito, Thieves Guild Enforcer, and Garruk's Harbinger) to make a reanimation deck splashing blue for Capture Sphere, Rousing Read, and Waker of Waves.

Scooze was a workhorse as usual, Harbinger got in a few hits but dies easily to Scorching Dragonfire (nice that he can't get Grasped tho).

Guild Enforcer didn't do much - too hard to get it turned on even with another random Rogue, it'd be nice in a Teferi's Tutelage deck tho. Waker of Waves is a must in any deck with Rise Again, and a nice combo with Fierce Empath - you can search it up and cycle it.

Rousing Read is hilarious on Burlfist Oak. Don't forget you can also cast it on opponent's creatures, get the 2-draw-discard, and combo with Run Afoul (if you're low on removal and they don't have any other fliers).

Ended up managing a 7-0, better than any draft run I've had by far. Sealed games tend to go long, and Vito is a real all-star in the long game. If you're in a board stall, eventually you get enough power on the board that activating his ability is like an unblockable alpha-strike. The Scythe is also great in the long game, but it got burned by Turn to Slag more than once.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »

Oh boy, i hope i win so i can design a card that's just a 1/2 for 1 vanilla creature.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Oh boy, i hope i win so i can design a card that's just a 1/2 for 1 vanilla creature.

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Dirtmuncher human shaman 0/1 RB
    Defender
    Sacrifice X lands, cast a spell from your library with CMC X.

If they don't fall for that it would be a card named penny arcade.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I entered a monocolored Ravnica-style bounceland, so now if they ever do print any, I get to claim it was idea theft.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Defender

This is a modal card where the two modes are “completely useless” and “format breaking.”

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I ran into a lot of bad luck and dumb bs in the first week of drafting, but I just spent the first 3 turns of my last game playing WBR shrines turns 1-3 into the griffin aerie and 3/1 dude that pops back into play from your graveyard. That OP got all my bad luck rolled into 1 game.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    See I was just thinking I should submit a card with the card back as the graphic.
    And then make it a morph 3/3

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    When I win, I'm just going to come in with a briefcase full of bands of Birthing Pods, dump em out all over the table

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Defender

d'you want a "X can't be 0." with that order, or are you alright with creating a backbreaking cheerios deck

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    admanb wrote: »

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Defender

This is a modal card where the two modes are “completely useless” and “format breaking.”

Completely useless and "format breaking" describe me quite accurate.
    Neveron wrote: »

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Defender

d'you want a "X can't be 0." with that order, or are you alright with creating a backbreaking cheerios deck

Turn two corpse knight or cruel celebrant
    Turn three dirtmuncher and draw all 0 CMC or X CMC cards in your deck.

Yeah that would not be fun.
    Maybe make it 1+X, cast a spell from your library with a maximum CMC of 1+X.

I leave the theorycrafting for now and come back to it if I win.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.