As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Let is Snow

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    ZeroCow wrote: »

Oh boy, i hope i win so i can design a card that's just a 1/2 for 1 vanilla creature.

I have entered.
    The card would be:
    Dirtmuncher human shaman 0/1 RB
    Defender
    Sacrifice X lands, cast a spell from your library with CMC X.

If they don't fall for that it would be a card named penny arcade.

Uhh... yeah, I'd like to pay 0 to tutor up and cast Living End, after casting four suspend wheels and suspend balance.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    those suspend cards really should be errata'd to have no mana cost instead of zero mana cost

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    those suspend cards really should be errata'd to have no mana cost instead of zero mana cost

they do have no mana cost

but the cmc of a card with no mana cost is 0

like it has to have an integer value there for cards that care about cmc

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

It feels like one of those obvious rule changes that's mostly a bunch of work to dumpster a bad deck

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    so I ran into a few Golgari Deathtouch tribal decks, and while they were neat, I felt they were missing a certain je ne sais quois
    7m4opwer5t1a.png

edit: pardon the janky lands, I don't usually play rakdos/gruul and I'm not about to spend wildcards on the shock lands this close to rotation

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Do some kind of cmc version of devoid

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Do some kind of cmc version of devoid

Yeah just have the cards that care about CMC not work with them. Sort of like how you can't cast Ancestral Visions with Snapcaster; Cascade and Dreadhorde Arcanist and whatever just require a card to have a CMC of a certain value to work. If you Cascade into a card with no CMC then it should just ignore it like every other card that doesn't meet its requirements.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    It's nothing like how you can't cast Ancestral Visions with Snapcaster, because Alternative Casting Costs, Mana Costs, and Converted Mana Costs are all different things.

Again, making the cards not work is a really dumb rules hack that basically requires creating an entirely new version of CMC specifically for cascade and cascade-like effects, because the no-cost suspend cards still need to have a real CMC (of 0) for things like Dark Confidant. It's possible they could do that, but given no-cost suspend cards aren't that common and the deck they are in isn't that good, it seems kind of pointless to dumpster the deck and make the rules really, stupidly ugly just to fix something that's only kind of ugly.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So I dumped an Ugin into the yard with a Teferi and then Elspeth Conquered Death brought him back

Man, Azorious Control is just so good right now. So good. Maybe I should splash green? But I dunno, I just think Blue-White is really powerful by itself, and with several good decks too

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    It's nothing like how you can't cast Ancestral Visions with Snapcaster, because Alternative Casting Costs, Mana Costs, and Converted Mana Costs are all different things.

Again, making the cards not work is a really dumb rules hack that basically requires creating an entirely new version of CMC specifically for cascade and cascade-like effects, because the no-cost suspend cards still need to have a real CMC (of 0) for things like Dark Confidant. It's possible they could do that, but given no-cost suspend cards aren't that common and the deck they are in isn't that good, it seems kind of pointless to dumpster the deck and make the rules really, stupidly ugly just to fix something that's only kind of ugly.

And the fix really is to just not template cards to cast spells themselves. “You may cast that card without paying its mana cost” is a thing. And you can’t cast cards without mana costs with it.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    For awhile I've felt that I go second more often than not on Arena. And I've mostly held to, "nah, this is just confirmation bias of me remembering second more because it feels bad." So I started keeping track. In the unranked queue with my Mono-W Historic deck I've gone first 43 games and second 63 games so far. I'm starting to actually believe the unranked queue also uses deck information to determine play versus draw in a small way as well as who you get matched against. I'll continue to keep track but so far it's very close to 40-60 instead of 50-50.

In other news, this UR Prowess Wizard deck I brewed for historic is cheap (only rare lands), fun, and good.
    0f312udluujy.png

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've actually been having a decent amount of fun just playing "get to 4 mana" combo decks in both Standard and Historic. Been playing Naya Transmogrify is standard. Spit out tokens for the first three turns then Transmogrify into BIG PIG.

In Historic I've been playing that Song of Creation/0-cost artifacts combo deck and it's honestly pretty strong. In BO1 it folds to Narset, but I honestly haven't run into her much, maybe twice in 20-30 matches? I get the impression that a lot of my opponents haven't been familiar with the deck, which has been helpful.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    For awhile I've felt that I go second more often than not on Arena. And I've mostly held to, "nah, this is just confirmation bias of me remembering second more because it feels bad." So I started keeping track. In the unranked queue with my Mono-W Historic deck I've gone first 43 games and second 63 games so far. I'm starting to actually believe the unranked queue also uses deck information to determine play versus draw in a small way as well as who you get matched against. I'll continue to keep track but so far it's very close to 40-60 instead of 50-50.

In other news, this UR Prowess Wizard deck I brewed for historic is cheap (only rare lands), fun, and good.
    0f312udluujy.png

Any reason why you're not running Sprite Dragon? It's uncommon and basically has prowess that doesn't wear off at end of turn. The only thing the Stormkin has on it is 1 more power and toughness to start.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

0f312udluujy.png

Any reason why you're not running Sprite Dragon? It's uncommon and basically has prowess that doesn't wear off at end of turn. The only thing the Stormkin has on it is 1 more power and toughness to start.

Well, it isn't a Wizard

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Ah, I completely missed the tribal part

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You're tryna tell me Babygodzilla isn't a wizard?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    You're tryna tell me Babygodzilla isn't a wizard?

Babygodzilla isn't even a sprite dragon!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

I wholeheartedly blame Covid for my inability to play with the new cards to give me sufficient name recognition.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

I wholeheartedly blame Covid for my inability to play with the new cards to give me sufficient name recognition.

It doesn't help that they gave a bunch of cards two completely different names.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My FLGS got their Core 2021 Collectors' Boosters in tonight and my friend bought one.

He got a foil Cultivate, a box-topper Cultivate, and a foil box-topper Cultivate. In the same pack.

(Then he bought a second that was nowhere near as good but what could have been?)

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i dont know any of the english names of the godzilla series cards, which is not helped by the foil set being the only paper cards I am buying

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

I've had a Battra bounced to my hand and turn Vanilla while I wasn't looking and I was like "wtf is a dirge bat....oh"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

I've had a Battra bounced to my hand and turn Vanilla while I wasn't looking and I was like "wtf is a dirge bat....oh"

Every time someone casts the awful looking cartoon gemrazor, instead of Anguirus I die a little inside.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

Every time someone casts the awful looking cartoon gemrazor, instead of Anguirus I die a little inside.

I think you have those backwards

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Oh, fuck, you're right.

I think you have those backwards

Yeah I definitely prefer the comic versions of most of them.

Were the comic versions of the Apexes ever released? I'm not sure if I missed some Festivals.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think the thing I dislike about a lot of the Godzilla alts is that it made me think a lot of cards were legendary that aren't, especially the rares/mythics. Like for a long time I was pretty sure the base Mothra card was legendary. I mean the effect is pretty legendary!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So much of the comic book art is bad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The non-comic, non-godzilla art is my preference for basically all of them

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I really like a lot of the comic triomes but that's pretty much it.

• Options
    Man standard is so fucked

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Man standard is so fucked

What's more fun, the decks that ramp to Ugin on turn 4, or the endless parade of mono red decks killing you with Embercleave on turn 4?

• Options
    Bant Ramp, or Mono Red. Pick your hateful scum to fight against

• Options
    I have thus far been successful at looking at those as worthy challenges to overcome. I've made 16* decks that are neither of those things, and I'm just going to start rotating through them in ranked, switching decks whenever I lose 2 in a row, and then cutting the list down over time.

*= a few of them are variations on the same theme, like Izzet Prowess, and Izzet Prowess with a side of Mutate

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular

0f312udluujy.png

A couple updates I've made to the deck:
    -2 Spell Pierce
    -1 Island
    +2 Samut's Sprint
    +1 Mountain

When Amonkhet Remastered comes out to Arena:
    -4 Ghitu Lavarunner
    +4 Soul-Scar Mage (sadly a rare)
    -3 Shock
    +3 Magma Spray

This one I'm not sure about but will be easy to test because it's a common:
    -4 Lightning Stormkin
    +4 Spellweaver Eternal

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Drop the electromancers to run the soul scars and the lavarunners imo. What do they even do for you, reduce your canitrips to cost just U? You're too aggro for that.

Honestly I also think that deck keeps shock and runs viasino pyromancer. Face is the place.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I played this budget UR prowess way down the page at FNM and it was usually good for 3-1. Probably can find better cantrips than warlords fury and riddleform is too cute maybe but its explosive af. Spellweaver Eternal is way better than viashino if it stays up for a turn.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/dominaria-budget-magic-updates

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    any recommendations for a budget MTGA standard deck? preferably something i can upgrade from the starter decks you are given?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    B/W is almost always something easy to upgrade.

Keep on mind, rotation happens in a few months and the starter decks will be changing

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    I played this budget UR prowess way down the page at FNM and it was usually good for 3-1. Probably can find better cantrips than warlords fury and riddleform is too cute maybe but its explosive af. Spellweaver Eternal is way better than viashino if it stays up for a turn.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/dominaria-budget-magic-updates

I like Riddleform a lot in prowess, not only is it a cheap noncreature spell to trigger prowess effects, the fact that it reverts back to enchantment at end of turn means it's good at evading most board wipes

• Options
    Snowbear wrote: »
    any recommendations for a budget MTGA standard deck? preferably something i can upgrade from the starter decks you are given?

Not sure about updating the starter decks but depending on what you've got for common/uncommon wildcards I'd recommend Blue/White Flyers or Red/Blue Prowess from my own experience

If you're really just starting out playing for free you might not even want to craft uncommons that are rotating in a few months so I'll see if I can come up with a list or two that just has commons, uncommons that come with the starters, and uncommons that aren't rotating out of standard in the fall

This discussion has been closed.