Options

[Unicorn Overlord] Vanillaware Tactics and Spherical Continuity

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    The recent patch finally forced me to break out Quick Impetus type cheese. It adds some additional challenge fights to the postgame world map (so you have to 100-0 them). With six enemy units in the squad, maxed levels, great gear, etc. Rewards weren't bad. 2000 coins, 40 divine shards, 5 fevrite, 5 star iron (okay, this one is lol), 10 handmirrors.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I would love to see a roguelite take on Unicorn Overlord's core mechanics. When you have full access to everything all at once, it tends toward sticking to one or two optimal strategies that beat everything. But if you had to make an army out of randomly-provided units and gear, it would force you to find the best available avenue rather than defaulting to the one ideal choice.

I've also felt inspired on the front of, like... if Unicorn Overlord is Fire Emblem, to make the equivalent Advance Wars. Where the units are more disposable and closer in power level to the enemies.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2
    Unicorn Overlord: Gaiden

Picking up after the events of UO, Gaiden sees some familiar faces leaving the battlefield to act as Commanding Officers (or COs for short). They’ll guide units into battle to help put down Zenorian uprisings and bandits across the continents.

Aubin:

Aubin’s Housecarls and melee units are stronger than usual, but he’s slacked off with his ranges units, causing them to do less damage and have shorter ranges. Using his special Power, Parting Gift, Aubin’s melee units deal extra damage and finish off a single remaining enemy in a group this turn!

What new COs will you uncover? Their are 3-5 from each region, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and unique powers!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I have about 15 or so Rapport Conversations before I have to continue to the end of the game, and I'm stuck between too many characters I like.

Post-Elfheim spoilers:
    There's so many good marriage candidates! A lot of Alain's final conversations in the rapport chains are great, and if he gets to three conversations with someone, the final conversation is usually all but a confession to stay together forever.

Is there a character that mechanically benefits from marrying Alain the most?

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Elves use both physical and magical attack and have three accessory slots so you could say mechanically they take more advantage of the ring's stats without giving up other potential options.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I gave it to Rosalinde on that general theory. And since she does so much AoE, she really butchers things. But I think that from a purely mechanical perspective, there's a really strong case to be made for Virginia and Berengaria too. Whoever you're giving it to is going to waste some stats. HP/Def won't actually help the elves survive, mag attack won't help the phys units, etc. Virginia has only one accessory slot, so she really wants something strong to go there and doesn't really NEED any accessory skills, and can make use of all the stats but mag atk. That said, a lot of shields have +PP, and not many (any?) with +AP, so she may be wanting something giving that instead. Ren is likewise a frontliner DPS, and has potentially infinite followups, so really milks the hell out of every stat you put on her.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I gave it to Rosalinde on that general theory. And since she does so much AoE, she really butchers things. But I think that from a purely mechanical perspective, there's a really strong case to be made for Virginia and Berengaria too. Whoever you're giving it to is going to waste some stats. HP/Def won't actually help the elves survive, mag attack won't help the phys units, etc. Virginia has only one accessory slot, so she really wants something strong to go there and doesn't really NEED any accessory skills, and can make use of all the stats but mag atk. That said, a lot of shields have +PP, and not many (any?) with +AP, so she may be wanting something giving that instead. Ren is likewise a frontliner DPS, and has potentially infinite followups, so really milks the hell out of every stat you put on her.

There's a shield from the coliseum with +AP, for what it's worth.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I always confused the two elf sisters, but who is the one summoning fairies? How do you setup your tactics to try and make use of them?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I always confused the two elf sisters, but who is the one summoning fairies? How do you setup your tactics to try and make use of them?

Both of them summon faeries, actually. They get one for free for their start of battle passive, otherwise you probably need to do some First Action etc. scripting if you want to have them stock more faeries with something before Elemental Roar fires off.

• Options
    Rosalinde is the dark elf you get early that has offensive/CC start of battle and AOE skills.

Eltolinde is the later one that has healing/defensive AOE skills.

Both summon fairies and get a full party nuke though.

Also, fun fact, you can change elf races with mirrors for all the elves but them.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    They both summon faeries and can both use them to empower elemental roar. How you set them up depends on if you are using cat-ear hoodies or other turn giving abilities or not. Without them you can use their fight start passive to generate a faerie at the start of the battle and then immediately turn 1 use an 1 faerie elemental roar with an amber lens empowering it, or perhaps have someone else with a tome adding frozen/stun if you have other units ready to handle clean-up. Otherwise you can set it up so they start the fight with their passive (1F), use their 1/2 AP ability (2F) followed by elemental impetus (3F) for another AP and faerie, then get another turn through cat-ears so they can fire off a 3 faerie elemental roar (combined with either a tome or keen call)

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Alright I saved right before the big decision, and watched a bunch of scenes: (spoilers)
    So many of them were really good! I ended up going with Rosalinde, partially for mechanic reasons, partially because she's already in Alain's unit, partially because her scenes and rapport conversations were fun, and also a little bit because she's the one that sets the scene for the pair of rings in the first place.

I was surprised that Berengaria can actually decline your offer of the ring if you choose the wrong answer in her confession scene.

Some of the scenes were just conversations, but in a few Alain and the the recipient actually embrace and kiss.

I think I viewed Scarlett, Melisandre, Nina, Tatiana, Rosalinde, Eltolinde, Railanor, Virginia, Berengaria, Amalia, and Yunifi before my fatigue at my own decision paralysis forced me to just pick SOMEONE so I can finish the game. I might have viewed more, but it's a blur at this point.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    All the Elves, Virginia, Berengaria, and then arguably the Swordmasters benefit the most from the ring mechanically. They don't need the defense but can still benefit from the magic attack since they can offhand a magic sword to deal with non-Feathershield armored units and they also have lower attack base so getting more physical attack can get them over the hump on higher defense non-armored units.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Noma Takafumi, character designer on the game, showing off who probably gave the ring to.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Talith wrote: »
    Noma Takafumi, character designer on the game, showing off who probably gave the ring to.

Is that .. Nina?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Berengaria, I think?

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Definitely Berengaria, got the whole missing eye thing going on.

• Options
    I went with Leah because all the others were too desperate for attention, thirsty, or boring.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 4
    I finished Unicorn Overlord!
    That was an appropriately huge final battle map. I ended up needing all 10 of my units to contribute, since there were so many directions to go.

I generally try to save any allied green units that appear on the map, but they were SO SUICIDAL in this map. I defeated one of the Dark Marquesses, and Hermann shows up with ~10 green units, that proceed to murder the Snowpetal Bestrals Dinah can talk to. So I reload, and instead I sent Dinah to talk to the Snowpetal Bestrals, and after talking to one, he runs off to murder the other snowpetals! Reload again. This time Dinah needs to jump from Snowpetal unit to unit, and I convert all of them... and they start running straight into the nearby landmines. Reload, and send another unit to take out the Bestral Dark Marquess while simultaneously saving the Snowpetal Bestrals. Hermann shows up with the whole Drakehold army, and the entire lot of them throw themselves against one enemy Legionaire unit unsuccessfully, but are still alive. My other units mopped up the other 3 Dark Marquess, which unlocked a bunch more enemy units, and all my green allies immediately rush the gates and get blended into ribbons by a swordmaster, at which point I threw up my hands and gave up.

I methodically cleared out the city, and then it was time to fight Galerius. Started the battle, Rosalinde went first and stunned him, and then I beat him up no problems while also draining all his AP with Alain's Cavalry Slayer and PP with Raenys's arrows. Rosalinde MVP! The Final Boss barely got to act.

I chose to spare him, and fought Baltro, but the 2 special Ring abilities mopped the entire encounter up, so I think it was basically just a story battle?

Ending spoilers
    Ilenia survived by being possessed by Galerius for 10 years? If it means Alain gets to be happy, I'm 100% here for it!

All of the different cast groupings went off to their slice of the world and got to be happy that I saw. I was a little sad Virginia didn't get to come home to Gran Corrine, but I guess if she doesn't partner with Alain she always marries Gilbert.

I guess each ending is slightly different based on who gets to be with Alain? I was pleased overall. A played straight storybook ending is extremely my jam.

This game was utterly fantastic from beginning to end, and stayed in its lane and let me do what I loved for over 100 hours. I couldn't be happier with it. If I had to complain about something, it's that the equipment system was a little cumbersome to equip 50-70 units, combined with a strictly limited shop stocks that made it so you could never safely discard anything, because you could never get anything back. So you end up wading through so many items in the course of equipping so many units, and never have enough of the stuff everyone could honestly use (Carnelian stuff mostly). Because of the action economy, +AP/PP stuff was wildly more important than pretty much any other stat, save items that give unique abilities that are necessary for certain build setups.

On that note, equipping characters, setting up their gambits, and making 5 characters work as a cohesive unit is the most satisfying thing. Just smashes the dopamine dispenser in my brain over and over. I am dying for a sequel of some kind using this system.

Now to poke around the post-game a bit.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Finished it tonight. Too tired to comment and will do so later.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Closing in on the end myself. This is usually the kind of game I'd platinum but I kind of want to just beat it and move on I think because of some of the other new releases that I've been unable to play due to being locked in on this, doubly so because I know that to complete the archive I'd need to do that sellsword cheese to break into the center early and then grind and I don't think I can be bothered to do that (we'll see).

Anyway, with all the rapport watched...Sharon and Ochlys have been talked about, but I quietly support Chloe and Ridiel also. Compilation:

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I totally would have given the ring to Berengaria except
    What was that last rapport convo?! That was just ... a weird way to end the conversations with a hey if our countries would go to war, I'd still fight you?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yes. It's also what put me off her for best girl Rosalinde.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    That is also why I eliminated her from the running and ended up going back to Melisandre.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 6
    My thoughts after finishing the game (spoilers):
    Overall, absolutely fantastic game. A few issues here and there, but nothing that would make it any less than a 9 out of 10 for me.

I steamrolled through most of the game, so I might should have raised the difficulty a bit. My end game comp was six teams of 5 units that I'd split into pairs of two or make into one big Protoss deathball.

The final battle against the Baltro (who I kept calling Balatro in my head) had me banging my head against the wall. I figured I'd use the rings against him, but they just wouldn't do anything. I thought I had to lose to cause a story cutscene, but didn't want to risk having to do that massive stage over again.

Then it hit me: that massive "set everyone to 1 HP" attack isn't getting stopped because Leah is going turbo at the start of the battle and burning through all her PP. I disabled all her other skills and the battle gets two-shotted with ease. :lol:

Watched the credits, did the post-credits big battle, which again was a complete cake walk, and called it good. I know there's other stuff to do, but I'm ready to move on.

As for things I'd like to see improved, removing the mercs would be nice. They honestly aren't needed, even in the early goings. Having them clog up your character line-up, and inventory space, is a pain. Speaking of inventory, that's gotta get more streamlined. Having to equip that many units is a chore. Finally, the last two areas (especially Abalon) felt underwhelming. I was mentally checked-out with the furries/angel stuff since I didn't need any of them in my comps to obliterate my foes. Also, why did we have to go two six mystery talking gods to get excess backstory. I skipped those stories after the first two took forever.

Nagging UI/merc stuff aside, and minor story stuff aside the game is quite good. The combat is great, the timed nature of the battles is fun (although more missions types would be nice), and the wealth of things to do gives you that "one more area" feel.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm only about 70% through this game (i'm in triple digit hours atm because I'm a slow person and this is my first Emblem-like) but I do want to make it known that as a certified freak I feel Amalia's ring candidacy could have been much funnier

• Options
    Okay post-game impressions:
    you start in Grand Corrine, and your whole army is there to talk to twice each. Gives insight into what they'll do from now on.

Whoever you marry has different dialogue.

There is a shop that has two neat items and sells fevrite if you still need it.

You can return to the altar on Palevia to change who you marry and see different cut scenes.

There is one side quest. It's a pretty long map with tons of enemies, and it gives loads of XP to get your units to 50 to cap. It also lets you recruit 6 additional named units from the story. There's nothing to use them in except Coliseum PVP.

After you beat it, it turns into a repeatable sigil battle, which is nice for XP. Three runs is probably enough to get all 70 units to 50.

Also after beating the last side quest, a Dreadnought spawns on the world map. If you defeat it, one more spawns in each of the 5 countries. These give pretty good rewards, but at this point there's not much use for them. After you beat all 5, the original one respawns if you want to try fighting all 6 again.

Past that, there's just the Coliseum for repeatable challenges.

I am sad there's a point where you're just done. No new game plus is annoying with how much time you put in acquiring equipment and stat up items. I don't know if I'll do a 2nd run any time soon to explore different decision points: (whole game spoilers)
    Choosing to kill Galerius instead of redeem him.
    Attempting the final battle without the rings of the maiden and unicorn, either unpowered or without marrying anyone in the first place.
    Executing any number of recruitable units.
    Fighting the final battle before rescuing Scarlett.

Does this mean I have to go back and finish FF7 Rebirth? Or maybe catch up on all the shows I've been neglecting for the last 2+ months.

• Options
    edited May 7
    Job's done.

HlaHwj8.jpg

As I was going through, found out the trophy I was worried about got credit for the info archive entries but didn't require full class completion, so just hunted down the goat for the last one I didn't have aside from just being completionist.

Final battle:
    I was content to be funny and chip away at Galerius with a stun/AP lock team but when I saw Baltro's squad I decided to stop playing fair and set up a tryhard team.

RIP Baltro
    https://youtu.be/1SCiOgaikcc

I did the post game side quest but didn't do the world map fights (yet) because I'm kind of done. Save file says 165 hours with some modest idling.

Excellent game, probably a 9-9.5/10, current leading GOTY candidate for me. It needed better inventory management because even I got tired of scrolling through a billion accessories and it could have used some better UI for Rapport navigation. Would've liked being able to jump around being links instead of scrolling back and forth across pages, and also would've really appreciated a way to filter on the team setup screen for "people who have a Rapport conversation with the units already in the squad" or something like that. They could've also cooked Albion a little more but that's forgivable for being basically the last 15% of the game that a lot of people just won't see.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Nicely done.

One of the most one sided fist fights in history lol

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I think I can put this one down as done and myself as completely satisfied.
    I rebuilt 5 groups to incorporate my new 8 post game units as well as my last 12 units that weren't level 50.

Alcina, Elgor, and Nigel are all absolutely fascinating units, and each busted in their own ways.

One run of the post game map got everyone to level 50.

I did the Coliseum one more time, but at this point I'd just be grinding for Dews, Fevrite, and Mirrors, for marginal gains to what end?

So I guess I'm done. Well done!

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Beat this one last night. It really scratched a very particular itch. Honestly reminds me of deck builders in the "align your dolls to autobattle the enemy into oblivion"

Things I liked
    • Fights take place on the overworld. You can see what's coming as you run around
    • The overworld itself was pretty good. Stuff to pick up, stuff to fight, teleport system with waypoints everywhere
    • Art style was very solid. They leaned hard into aesthetic and it mostly worked
    • Core loop was satisfying. Personally I went with a strategy of "make three god units and give each a support"
    • Pretty decent build variety. Won't call it perfect (and I only played on normal), but I had success with quite a few experiments: fliers, cavalry, "forever followup" infantry, bestral rush. About the only one I didn't do was pure magic, and that was just because i beat the game before I got there

Neutral
    • Liberation missions started getting repetitive by the end, especially the ones with small maps
    • Story was forgettable. Very standard "here's the bad guys! now go run around doing stuff while they ignore you"
    • Why did I need to hire 50 spearmen to guard all my towns?
    • Supports were numerous but not very impactful. I felt much the same about FE supports most the time, though, so whatever

Bad
    • Definite case of "new units are strict upgrades to old units" in a few cases
    • Final fight was a little rough. In particular the special requirements were not well communicated
    • Overworld music got real repetitive

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Finally finished the game myself last night. Life has been busy and had a hard time finding the time to get back to it, although I had just the big last battle for gran corine to complete for like 2 weeks. All in all, I'd say it was a great game, mechanics were fantastic for the most part, and the difficulty was a good spot where you didn't have to super plan out everything, but you could still could find yourself in trouble if you weren't paying attention.

Though I think this "looseness" in difficulty kinda shows towards the end as you find at least some local maxima where certain groups can take on a large number of the opponents, and I stopped being all that interested in putzing around with group comps. I tried to put together some kind of unit centered on freezing, and it became a bit frustrating struggling with the UI and trying to hunt around to find all the units/items that either freeze or benefit from frozen. And I never got it particularly well setup, because I'd have to break up other units that I did like, and it just became too much hassle and I lost interest.

I felt like they did enough with the characters so that they weren't just empty shells, but I also didn't feel any real pull to find out more of their backstory. I ignored the rapport system for the most part unless I happened to walk by the rapport spot. Until, of course, you were forced by the story to ring of the unicorn ceremony, which did result in probably my favorite scene of the game (Yunifi and Alain are such a cute couple :blush: )

I've already mentioned this before, but the story is well ... its a story. Its a perfectly fine, serviceable story, but without really any a lot of emotional heft to it. Partly due to the "you were mind controlled, then *poof* you're better now after you beat the stage" that a lot of the stages fell under.

Anyway, not to drone on any longer, but the great battle system was definitely the star of the show, and I really wish there was some kind of sequel/spiritual sequel on the way that would use the same battle system, overhaul the UI, and hire some good writers to work on a more interesting story.

• Options
    edited May 21
    Vanillaware announced a new fantasy action RPG, by the way.

https://x.com/vanillaware_boy/status/1792797473666129967

With naked busty dragon ladies.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    As is tradition .

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Vanillaware announced a new fantasy action RPG, by the way.

https://x.com/vanillaware_boy/status/1792797473666129967

With naked busty dragon ladies.

At this point it's just, naked busty ____ ladies for them. Insert whatever paraphilia happens to be the developers focus at the moment.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Didn't they make Dragon's Crown? I'm probably in the minority, but man that game had some of the worst designed female characters.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Didn't they make Dragon's Crown? I'm probably in the minority, but man that game had some of the worst designed female characters.

Yes, that was them.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Obligatory:
    xcrg0qvzkaxo.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    To be fair, Dragon's crown did kind of hit multiple women's body types. between the witch, the amazon, and the thief it's a pretty wide range. it certainly objectifies women, but it's not just a bunch of barbies

• Options
    And then there's the tanuki boss in Muramasa.

Which I guarantee you, is far more mentally scarring than whatever it is you're imagining.
    Obviously it has giant testicles that it stretches out to create illusions, and uppercuts you with his giant balls. OBVIOUSLY. But the fight itself is against a bunch of random youkai, one wave is giant anus monsters. These things.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirime

It's bad enough that there's three of the fuckers, but each time you kill one, the others get bigger, until most of your screen is just a giant naked dude with a gaping asshole with a beam of light coming from it, pulsating and firing random crap all over the screen.

ztrEPtD.gif