Options

[Unicorn Overlord] Vanillaware Tactics and Spherical Continuity

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Given the choice, I'll actually respect the creator who is completely up front and honest with their intentions. "I did it cuz I wanted to and I liked it.". As opposed to the masturbatory justifications some will try to give.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah, night and day from stuff like dead or alive with their "core values". Just say you're horny and like big boobs.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I was just talking with a friend about this with regard to stellar blade. I don't mind horny games, but just admit that you are horny!

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Vanillaware goes harder on female sexy than male sexy but they're not shy about shirtless and mostly naked dudes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Vanillaware announced a new fantasy action RPG, by the way.

https://x.com/vanillaware_boy/status/1792797473666129967

With naked busty dragon ladies.

Urgh! Instant body horror revulsion reaction to the claw/scale nipples.

Nope, nope, nope.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The T-rex head growing out of the back of her skull not also creeping you out or are the murderous mammaries too distracting?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Unicorn Overlord installing! Finally getting to try this out.

This is the most delayed/backlogged on new releases I think I have ever been.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Unicorn Overlord installing! Finally getting to try this out.

This is the most delayed/backlogged on new releases I think I have ever been.

The combo of Persona 3 Reload and Final Fanasy VII Rebirth really hit my schedule hard.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well this seems like it's gonna be pretty addictive.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    It very much is. Got started about a week ago and it's hard to put down.

The story may be cliche as hell but it's executed well enough not to suffer too much. And the gameplay, especially once I started unlocking the upgraded classes is amazing. So many possibilities and ways to set up parties.

• Options
    Just so I know, is there any way to grind xp or is it just however much is available in all the missions?

I noticed fighting the guys on the world map wasn't giving any xp.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    there will be "trials" you can replay after recruiting Selvie, where you can play them over and over and get XP and gold.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's also not even worthwhile because by doing everything on every continent before moving on, bar a couple of very obvious battles when you encounter them, you will eventually steamroll the entire game once you have 2-3 decent compositions together.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's also not even worthwhile because by doing everything on every continent before moving on, bar a couple of very obvious battles when you encounter them, you will eventually steamroll the entire game once you have 2-3 decent compositions together.

Oh I'm never worried about leveling because it will be too hard or anything. I can't think of any games where it ever felt needed.

I just like leveling up my characters because it's fun. That's like half the gameplay in any RPG for me. Playing with systems and making strong characters.

• Options
    I used the trials to get money to go to taverns to max out all the rapports (and it's not an achievement which was weird).

I beat the game last night after finally maxing my main team to 50 and maxing rapports, literally flipped a coin and chose Celeste. Will replay with picking Melisandre and Rosalinde just to see the endings. Game of the Year so far, just fun and enjoyable, this is all I want from games instead of wannabe movies.

• Options
    I'm definitely more into the cinematic style of game myself. But I enjoy mixing it up and playing a variety of things.

But that's why they make both kinds!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    The T-rex head growing out of the back of her skull not also creeping you out or are the murderous mammaries too distracting?

Not really because it melds into the hairline. It’s scales on human flesh squick me out. I’m not mad keen on the stomach area either but something about the one big scale/claw on its own just really sets me on edge.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    How many squads are most people using?

I was originally thinking of using them all for the whole army feel(something I don't usually do) and because of the whole stamina thing.

But the valor cost to bring them out is making me feel like maybe that will just be cludgy. Feels like they'd be coming out kinda late and would take too much time to travel the map.

• Options
    there are some maps where you will use them all, but I found it better to have Alain be the balanced squad and then have other quasi dedicated teams to pop out depending on the enemy type. Josef/Rolf/Chloe are a good combo squad early on, and then I had Aubin with Nina and Kitra as kind of my overworld map bulldozer team.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    there are some maps where you will use them all, but I found it better to have Alain be the balanced squad and then have other quasi dedicated teams to pop out depending on the enemy type. Josef/Rolf/Chloe are a good combo squad early on, and then I had Aubin with Nina and Kitra as kind of my overworld map bulldozer team.

Ahh cool cool.

So it's generally worthwhile to open up all 10 squads?

I played one big map where the 6 felt really good between splitting the map and leaving squads to hold locations. But then other maps made it difficult to use even the 6 so I was trying to feel out if it made more sense to just focus these 6 or actually add the next few.

• Options
    edited May 27
    Yes, open up 10 squads but there's no rush to do so, increasing the squad size to 3, 4 & 5 is better early on because you can at least have someone use a heal ability until you get more clerics.

The "liberation" maps are hella small and you should just run it with maybe 3 squads max, just use some valor skills like arrow rain to help out. This is where you can use the trial maps to get experience for lesser used/leveled squads.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I probably stopped at 8 squads or so but the reason for having that many squads was due to my main 2 squads of named characters overleveling content - and this is going to happen if you keep using Alain primarily.

There are a lot of named characters your going to keep picking up - so most of those squads just became excuses to try and level them up and see what they did. If your content with powerleveling your main team - you really don't need more then 2 squads.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    By the end, I had all 10 squads open, but only really fielded 6 full squads. They were all more than enough to stomp everything into paste. I kept a 7th squad around in case my HQ has threatened by sneaky baddies.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    My quote button is borked. Regarding the Twitter "leak" from the previous page: I really hope this is Dragon's Crown 2. Good co-op is pretty on fire these days, and DC1 had really good co-op; if this is DC2 and they can tap into whatever makes a good co-op game, good - I'm all here for it (still need to finish 13 SENTINELS though).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited May 28
    13 sentinels is so batshit crazy , I should replay it

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Thanks all! I think I'll go for one of those in-between numbers in that case. I do like having a team that just pops out and fights the closest enemies than just garrisons in the home base to keep it safe.

Also with the way the XP gets cut I'm surprised you can get that overlevelled. It seems to drop xp to basically nothing once you 3 levels over an enemy.

But maybe I'll do 7 squads?

1 base guardian.

1 or 2 flappy squads.

And the rest the main forces to swap through and garrison along the way?

When thinking of 10 I though maybe just have a couple for nothing but magic/Archer support to follow along but trying to bring that many out and keep near the rest seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Sounds p good.

• Options
    I'm trying to use 10 to use as many characters as possible, but in practice a few end up tagalongs. Especially when running into promotion/squad size bottlenecks.

I was managing to use almost everyone a bit at least after fully promoting my army. But now I'm running into 5 man squads and most of my 4 man squads have issues dealing with them. Will hopefully be able to use everyone more once I het squad sizes fixed.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finally going to start this tonight, assuming I don't have too much trouble setting up my new modem.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Finally going to start this tonight, assuming I don't have too much trouble setting up my new modem.

Ayyy another one jumping in at the same time!

• Options
    Did the tutorial mission.

I was curious why the aristocrats all sided against the queen, but mind control magic was one of the less interesting possibilities. Jives with what I've heard about the story being a bit old-fashioned.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    It wasn't all of them, just the useful ones who wouldn't betray willingly. You run into lots of people doing bad shit of their own free will. But there had to be some extra reason that the entire continent got conquered.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    Since multiple people are starting, very minor early game thing
    You should spare/recruit everybody. There's no shenanigans or the like going on where recruiting one locks you out of someone else. Gammel and Mandrin are really the only two that seem to be out and out evil that you're given a choice for (well, maybe Tatiana and an angel or two, I guess), but if you do spare them, they turn their shit around and have some of the better rapport scenes later in the game. If you don't, it's not a huge deal, since uniques are identical to generics except for appearance/voices, but still, more unique dudes around is better.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 29
    I started this a couple of days ago.

Enjoying it! Given an overworld I like to walk around doing everything without being time punished, and that hasn't happened (yet).

I, uh, built a bridge.
    I thought building the bridge straight East of where you start was necessary for your first Main Objective.

I would never have thought that it would just open up the possibility of just walking straight into what I am assuming is the endgame? Right by your initial spawn?

It made me laugh and Noooooope the heck out of there

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    I'm currently towards the end o
    I started this a couple of days ago.

Enjoying it! Given an overworld I like to walk around doing everything without being time punished, and that hasn't happened (yet).

I, uh, built a bridge.
    I thought building the bridge straight East of where you start was necessary for your first Main Objective.

I would never have thought that it would just open up the possibility of just walking straight into what I am assuming is the endgame? Right by your initial spawn?

It made me laugh and Noooooope the heck out of there

It makes sense considering what is past the bridge, but it did surprise me a fair bit.

• Options
    edited June 1
    Alright so I have plenty of times where I'm playing a game that I would say is a 3/5 overall game(trying to be objective) that I am personally having 4/5 or 5/5 fun with.

This is one of those games that due to a few very specific personal things is starting to go the opposite way. Definitely feels like this would be a 4/5 game but my fun is dwindling a bit to the 3/5 range right now.

I love all the systems but I'm missing a few things that tie everything together in a game for me.

I always knew the visuals would cause me a disconnect with the characters/story(not drawn stuff but the map visuals) but every game can't be everything so that's no biggie didn't think this was gonna be my favorite game ever or anything.

But what I didn't anticipate was how much I was going to be skipping combat. Which is an issue for me in a few ways. One is that as noted above it means I am seeing way less of the pretty drawn art. So like 95% of thr visuals are just the little pixel guys and stuff. Which means I am very disconnected from caring about the(fairly basic but i can deal) story and characters.

A big reason I'm skipping the combat is the lack of visual progression and the repeating of pretty simple attack animations. Seeing characters do progressively cooler things and learn new attacks and get new weapons is a big driving force for me. So not really having any of that has created kinda this negative feedback loop for me.

Animations/weapons not changing > skipping combat > seeing less visually interesting stuff > not being caught up in the story or characters > caring a little less at seeing them get stronger > skipping more combat > repeat.

It's entertaining enough to finish out but the initial grab it had on me wore off pretty quickly sadly.

Seems to be an awesome game that's just not quite a Stacey game.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I still haven't beaten this. 80% of the way in and it just felt so samey that I sort of forgot to finish. Enjoyed it till that point immensely though. I just wish there'd been some more dynamic maps that switched it up on you somehow better. The same direct tactic working on just about everything was disappointing. Earlier was more challenging when you didn't have enough types of units.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Did the sidequest to recruit Rolf. My units one-rounded most of the non-garrison enemy units, so I'm recalibrating my expectations for how difficult side content is going to be.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I still haven't beaten this. 80% of the way in and it just felt so samey that I sort of forgot to finish. Enjoyed it till that point immensely though. I just wish there'd been some more dynamic maps that switched it up on you somehow better. The same direct tactic working on just about everything was disappointing. Earlier was more challenging when you didn't have enough types of units.

They take way too long to throw maps at you that a cavalry pile can't basically solo is one issue - honestly giving them all double damage to infantry was probably a mistake. ...the cavalry pile moving at like triple the speed of infantry across the map is also kind of dumb.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I turned off the animations about an hour into the game. That easily shaved off dozens of hours. I turned them on for a few boss fights, but never looked back.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    At some point i think everyone turns off animations to save time. newer disgaea games even have an option that skips animations except for the first time someone uses an attack.