Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I need to turn off auto damage assignment because it's screwed things up for my deathtouchers more than once. If opponent double blocks to kill my deathtoucher, the AI should be smart enough to only assign one damage on the first blocker. But that isn't happening.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I need to turn off auto damage assignment because it's screwed things up for my deathtouchers more than once. If opponent double blocks to kill my deathtoucher, the AI should be smart enough to only assign one damage on the first blocker. But that isn't happening.

Didn't even think of that, so thanks for that.

The stack talk reminds me I never did work out how to use Wilderness Reclamation on Arena properly...should get back to that.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Didn't even think of that, so thanks for that.

The stack talk reminds me I never did work out how to use Wilderness Reclamation on Arena properly...should get back to that.

If you put a stop on your end step you'll be able to walk through all of the untap triggers individually.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    At least WotC is smart enough to ban the problematic land and not the tutor

*stares at the Commander rules committee in Primeval Titan*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    No... banning Prime Time in Commander was the correct call.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    No... banning Prime Time in Commander was the correct call.

Maybe

The main reason it was problematic was because it tutored up degenerate lands like Gaea's Cradle and Cabal's Coffers along with combo pieces like Urborg, Vesuva, and Deserted Temple

Without the degenerate lands, it's a very good ramping tool but that's all it is

And yeah, sometimes very good ramping tools need to be banned (Black Lotus, obvs) but there's no possible argument that Primeval Titan is a better ramp tool than Gaea's fucking Cradle

If Primeval Titan needed to go, then so does Gaea's Cradle.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Basically, I think the French Commander team has a far better read on how people actually play Commander and a much more reasonable banlist than the Commander rules commitee. French Commander (correctly) bans Gaea Cradle.

The official Commander banned ist has a few things on it that aren't on the French banlist because they're only problematic in multiplayer (Trade Secrets, for instance). I'd love to see the two banlists combined into a single Commander banlist and adopted across Commander in general.

Which means fuck Sol Ring, and especially fuck Gaea's Cradle.

In a hypothetical universe where PT stays banned in exchange for GC going away, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Commander banlist is weird because they're not banning for power as I understand it. They're banning to keep people from accidentally overpowering their tables with something that looks innocent or something that will never result in a fun game of magic (looking at you Paradox Engine). If someone spends $900 on a Gaea's Cradle and puts it in their commander deck, they know exactly how degenerate it's going to be as so does the rest of the table.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Because Sheldon Menery is all-in on plan “just talk with everyone you’re playing with and agree on a precise power level before every game of Commander” to balance it. Which is arguably the only way you truly can, but also leads to real weird decisions like Sol Ring still being legal.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I have decided I hate mana ramp.

It is a microcosm of the worst sin in games, doing boring unfun things now in order to enable fun later. Just start with the fun!

It also makes game outcomes approx 900% more draw dependant.

This is my ill informed mini-rant over, thank you for your time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Basically, I think the French Commander team has a far better read on how people actually play Commander and a much more reasonable banlist than the Commander rules commitee. French Commander (correctly) bans Gaea Cradle.

The official Commander banned ist has a few things on it that aren't on the French banlist because they're only problematic in multiplayer (Trade Secrets, for instance). I'd love to see the two banlists combined into a single Commander banlist and adopted across Commander in general.

Which means fuck Sol Ring, and especially fuck Gaea's Cradle.

In a hypothetical universe where PT stays banned in exchange for GC going away, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

I'd be fine with Cradle gone but it's not really an issue in my neck of the woods.

The issue with PT and Sylvan Primordial, as I understood it, wasn't (just) the ramp. It was the ubiquity. They were SO MUCH better than everything in their weight class that there was no reason to run anything else. Kinda like Emrakul, except she wasn't confined to just green decks.

• Options
    Making some informed guesses, M21 quick draft should be back in....2 weeks?

I'm over level 70 and I'd like to hit 80 before rotation but I feel like I'm just spinning wheels on Premier Draft since I'm still not great at limited.

I've got some ok constructed decks but in Ranked I'm basically at my ceiling and Unranked is just a coin flip. The losses really slow things down.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    My first Throne of Eldraine draft went a bit better than the Amonkhet, partly because Bot-draft meant I could really study the packs and also because Eldraine is substantially easier to evaluate. Put together Mostly Red Knights with Hybrid top-end and two RW Knight-lords and just ran through the opposition until the Seven-slot, at which point the matchmaker decided my opponents should be Gold and up, and they seemed to know the format a good deal better than I.

Regardless, an early morning 6-3 run was a fun way to enjoy my coffee.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    admanb wrote: »
    Because Sheldon Menery is all-in on plan “just talk with everyone you’re playing with and agree on a precise power level before every game of Commander” to balance it. Which is arguably the only way you truly can, but also leads to real weird decisions like Sol Ring still being legal.

I think it works well for stable playgroups, like weekly casual Commander nights at your FLGS.

That's fine, but it's bad for pick-up games (like at cons and big tourneys), for new players who don't know the unwritten rules of their FLGS, and for people who live in places where there might be only one or two FLGSs to choose from.

@Vyolynce : yeah, I've personally found GC to be a problem. It's not so much that I miss PT (I do like the card, but I don't need it, especially now that Hour of Promise & Ulvenwald Hydra exist), it's more that I've seen GC do really dirty things too many times.

Edit: sorry, tagged the wrong person. That's embarrassing. My apologies to both.

Feral on

• Options
    There's a free 2021 Artisan event up that gives you 1000xp for your first win. Free level!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    There's a free 2021 Artisan event up that gives you 1000xp for your first win. Free level!

I got my win there because the person playing this WU Flyers deck apparently didn't seem to realise that his bit of lifegain put him just outside the lethal range (unless I top-decked a Volcanic Dragon) and just conceded. So... free level!

• Options

I got my win there because the person playing this WU Flyers deck apparently didn't seem to realise that his bit of lifegain put him just outside the lethal range (unless I top-decked a Volcanic Dragon) and just conceded. So... free level!

Yeah I think my opponent scooped prematurely too. But that's the nature of Arena.

• Options
    Got my artisan win with UG mutate playing the usual suspects.

• Options
    First-picked Realm-Cloaked Giant and rode his back for a breezy 7-1, including some nice comebacks from the brink:

qm2wrhfoevyv.jpg

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Got my artisan win with UG mutate playing the usual suspects.

Ran into some version of that (one Sultai using Cultivates) at least three times.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I got mine with azorius flyers against some sort of golgari adventures deck. Dude actually managed to use Flaxen Intruder and a couple of Lucky Clovers to drop 9 bears on me, but a couple of fortunate Staggering Insights gave me enough life to weather it.

I highly recommend the normal Standard 2021 queue too. So much obnoxious stuff is rotating, it’s nice to be rid of it early.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    1 for 1 in artisan with izzet spells. Fairy dragons, Vandals, and the fairy generating enchant.

Opponent was mono U mill and other than dumping half my deck in the trash didn't do anything of note.

Got to make a 9/9 weird but that was really a win more move.

• Options
    I was starting to build a deck for Artisan, but even with all the new NPE decks, my collection is sparse, and I’m not too keen to spend Wildcards just to make a goofy deck for the event.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I was starting to build a deck for Artisan, but even with all the new NPE decks, my collection is sparse, and I’m not too keen to spend Wildcards just to make a goofy deck for the event.

My collection is pretty dismal as well, but since the event doesn't cost anything, I gave it a shot anyway. And, admittedly, lucked out.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Here's hoping there's some kind of relevantly equivalent creature to Paradise Druid in Zendikar because rotation is going to kill GW Boggle, which is a shame because its a ton of fun.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure what's going on with Artisan queue. Even the premade "new standard" decks are being flagged as having banned cards for it (but the Arena client doesn't show which ones).

So I have a list of decks that has the yellow symbol showing that cards don't work, including my Cycling deck which should be flagged.

But if I use this decklist:
    06yeqsnr9sbw.jpg

I get this warning:
    agw6vaz3q28n.jpg

• Options
    I guess I'll see if it fixes itself after the 8am PDT Store update(?)

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure what's going on with Artisan queue. Even the premade "new standard" decks are being flagged as having banned cards for it (but the Arena client doesn't show which ones).

So I have a list of decks that has the yellow symbol showing that cards don't work, including my Cycling deck which should be flagged.

06yeqsnr9sbw.jpg

I get this warning:
    agw6vaz3q28n.jpg

Yeah artisan means commons and uncommons only. So like a quarter of that deck is disallowed in the format

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I have never heard of that format referred to as Artisan.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I have never heard of that format referred to as Artisan.

That’s what WotC has called it pretty consistently, at least since they started running events on Arena

Edit: though yeah I also never heard it called artisan prior to that either

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I forgot that “Artisan” meant anything and built a regular 2021 deck, then got very confused when it wasn’t allowed.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Elldren wrote: »

06yeqsnr9sbw.jpg

I get this warning:
    agw6vaz3q28n.jpg

Yeah artisan means commons and uncommons only. So like a quarter of that deck is disallowed in the format

To be fair, when you select "2021 Artisan" in the deckbuilder format pull-down menu (or build directly from the event's "select a deck" UI), it does not filter out rares and mythics. You have to do that manually for some ridiculous reason.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I went and built my debuff deck with commons uncommons only:
    pa9bv3hsepy6.png
    Seemed to work.

Not sure what I'll be doing with no Ajani pridemate or Starfield Mystic post rotation though.
    Shambling Suits are okay, but this is meant to have a Lurrus companion so..

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    pa9bv3hsepy6.png
    Seemed to work.

Not sure what I'll be doing with no Ajani pridemate or Starfield Mystic post rotation though.

Can't help with Mystic but there's a Pridemate equivalent in the new Welcome decks.

• Options
    pa9bv3hsepy6.png
    Seemed to work.

Can't help with Mystic but there's a Pridemate equivalent in the new Welcome decks.

What's it called? Haven't been able to find the mono-white deck list and I deleted my copy.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    pa9bv3hsepy6.png
    Seemed to work.

What's it called? Haven't been able to find the mono-white deck list and I deleted my copy.

Can't remember off the top of my head but it's a 2 mana 1/1

It'd be nice if there was a filter for Arena cards like there is for every other set

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    It might show up if you filter for M21. That's how that kind of card usually works.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    a 2 mana 1/1 is a lot lot worse than a 2 mana 2/2 with the same text tho

edit: it's called Hallowed Priest

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    500 free gold in the shop today.

Also every one of the initial super-drop Secret Lair sleeves are slightly discounted (500 gems/2509 gold vs normally 600 gems).

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    a 2 mana 1/1 is a lot lot worse than a 2 mana 2/2 with the same text tho

edit: it's called Hallowed Priest

Problem is, the debuff deck often needs to race with a Mystic/Glitters stack against ramp-into-Ugin, so without Mystic/Ajani's pridemate I may be forced into using it, or just abandoning the companion concept altogether.