As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I don't think there is a Traditional 2021 Standard queue? Maybe I'm just glancing over it when I look at the list of queues.

There's most certainly is traditional standard ranked (not sure what your 2021 means there).

It's like the main competitive format.

The 2021 means updated for the standard rotation that will occur when Zendikar Rising releases, for those who want to get a jumpstart on it. So the Ravnicas, War of the Spark and 2020 are unable to be used

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh is that one of the rotating modes right now?

Did not know that!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Oh is that one of the rotating modes right now?

Did not know that!

I don’t think it’s a “rotating mode” exactly, but something they put up preemptively after the most recent bans as a way of saying “hey, maybe you’re just fucking sick of the format and not these specific cards.”

Meanwhile, I’m just trying to acclimate and relearn, so it’s a good avenue for that sort of process.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ha, just had someone name Wrath of God for Runed Halo. Too bad I didn't have another.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That doesn't do anything so it wouldn't matter if you had another

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I am aware, that's why I wanted another. Make it a teaching moment.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    a 2 mana 1/1 is a lot lot worse than a 2 mana 2/2 with the same text tho

edit: it's called Hallowed Priest

The 1W 1/1 is very sad compared to the pridemate. At least give it something like, 'gain life equal to its power on death' or something. Lifelink and counters was such a fun deck strategy, and it really wasn't overwhelmingly potent or anything. Downgrading the pridemate to 1/1 is just a pointless kick in the teeth.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    New debuff deck for 2021 Artisan:
    x2j2umlgqr8c.png
    Trying to get both Hateful Eilodon and Dawn Evangel online

... Just discovered inevitable end exists.
    So much better than faiths fetters.

discrider on
  • Options
    I think I need to make non-companion Lurruses, Midnight Order, Hateful, Dawn Evangel, debuff deck + Starfield Mystic to capitalise, a thing.
    Just a graveyard with both doors blown off, slamming debuffs on my own creatures to draw.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My best friend had the fun idea of playing with physical cards over webcam to stay connected during the pandemic and this has also sucked me back into Arena damn him damn him to hell.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Put this together and been playing it the last couple of days in the Standard 21 queue, it's quite fun so far, but wildcard-expensive if starting from scratch, I mostly decided to see if it worked after getting a Slitherwisp as a random reward the other day and it prompting me to think about it working with the Thieves Guild Enforcer. So far it's been pretty flexible as it's got a couple of backup plans and decent removal or at least tempo plays.
    bv4cubkto5lb.jpg
    (It's a bit hard to see the Borrowers but it's 3 of everything, Masked Blackguard isn't amazing but it is both Flash and a Rogue, and can be pumped so it works.)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I think I need to make non-companion Lurruses, Midnight Order, Hateful, Dawn Evangel, debuff deck + Starfield Mystic to capitalise, a thing.
    Just a graveyard with both doors blown off, slamming debuffs on my own creatures to draw.

Ive been trying it and it feels like you have to have an opponent who is going to happily feed small creatures into the grinder to get anywhere. Just absolutely crumbles to control or midrange.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Ive been trying it and it feels like you have to have an opponent who is going to happily feed small creatures into the grinder to get anywhere. Just absolutely crumbles to control or midrange.

Should be able to feed it your own small creatures.
    Not sure how it plays out though.

Like it was going to be filled out with foulmire Knight and the 2/1 deathtouch mill +2 life dude, and if you had Evangel or Hateful in play, and ideally both, you could/would slam a debuff on those guys to get cards and get them back in hand, if you're against something that's not feeding you.

:/ Not enough room for blightfang or mystic

Currently got
    Dead Weight
    Mire's Grasp
    Inevitable End
    Triton
    Foulmire Knight
    Funeral Rites
    Hateful
    Evangel
    Order of Midnight
    3xLurrus
    21 lands, more swamp than plains

Maybe +1 swamp and 3xblightfang for 64 cards and head to M21 play queue
    Maybe swap out funeral rites for blightfang. Not sure I need my entire deck in my hand.

Ok, blightfang X3 in for a Triton, funeral rites and a Midnight out. Seems good, but probably want to take an Evangel out, def don't need two on the field.

discrider on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Historic at Diamond post-Field is almost all control decks, and pretty extreme control decks at that

as in "all counterspells & removal, and a couple of Scarab Gods" extreme

or "all counterspells & removal, and a couple of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria"

I'm pretty sure a monogreen deck packing stuff like Garruk's Harbinger, Prowling Serpopard, and Carnage Tyrant would work against these guys, but I'm out of rare wildcards. Wheeeeeeeee.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Trying out the deck in M21, and I'm only hitting mutate and dimir flash decks, so I seem to be winning too often there.

.... Sadly "The wheels on the death go round and round" is too long a deck name

discrider on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just don't have the metagame to break into Mythic this month. Looks like it's gonna be Diamond.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So I don't draft a lot, but my recent Eldraine draft was the most miserable I ever had. Now I'll admit, it's more than possible I missed the actual good cards because I'm not good enough at Magic to spot them. But... well... first pick was Bake Into A Pie, because nothing else seemed really worth it.

Still went 2-3, which was two wins more than I'd expected, but it didn't exactly encourage me to draft more.

Oh well. At least I got a Castle Garenbrig for my collection. And a bunch of Orzhov Knights without the pieces to make them actually good.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @WotanAnubis if you're interested in trying again, I think I can dig up card tier lists from when Eldraine was new

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    WotanAnubis if you're interested in trying again, I think I can dig up card tier lists from when Eldraine was new

That might help. Although... it's Draft. Sometimes the cards just aren't quite there.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Historic at Diamond post-Field is almost all control decks, and pretty extreme control decks at that

I'm pretty sure a monogreen deck packing stuff like Garruk's Harbinger, Prowling Serpopard, and Carnage Tyrant would work against these guys, but I'm out of rare wildcards. Wheeeeeeeee.

I'm still rocking the Exploremental deck someone posted a month or so ago. It has enough gas to survive through counterspells, main issue is removal but I haven't seen many aggro decks in the Platinum tiers.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Zendikar Rising Mastery Pass & Standard Renewal details.

Was just watching Kanister and I guess the addition of customizable emotes is catnip for a certain demographic; the Pet theme would suggest a substantial Elemental subtheme, akin to M21's dogs, right?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zendikar Rising Mastery Pass & Standard Renewal details.

Was just watching Kanister and I guess the addition of customizable emotes is catnip for a certain demographic; the Pet theme would suggest a substantial Elemental subtheme, akin to M21's dogs, right?

That would fit Zendikar for sure.

• Options
    I couldn’t really remember any Elemental tribal stuff, just Omnath and that really busted legend from the original Commander sets.

• Options
    I couldn’t really remember any Elemental tribal stuff, just Omnath and that really busted legend from the original Commander sets.

I know from context that you're talking about Animar, Soul of Elements, but I'm amused by how the bolded line could describe a half-dozen cards. The first couple of Commander sets had some really broken Legendaries. Animar, Kaalia, Edric, Ghave, Mimeoplasm, and Derevi are all nuts. And the second Commander set had a Legend that required immediate errata! (Marath)

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

A lot of the elemental stuff in Zendikar is subtle. Every* animated land on that plane is an elemental, for starters.

EDIT: *Except Dread Statuary. Forgot that was in Worldwake.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    BTW, Zendikar didn't have much elemental tribal, but elemental tokens were a common theme, like Zendikar's Roil. And all of the manland/awakening mechanics turned lands into creatures with the elemental type.

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »

I'm still rocking the Exploremental deck someone posted a month or so ago. It has enough gas to survive through counterspells, main issue is removal but I haven't seen many aggro decks in the Platinum tiers.

I can't find it. Is it basically the Risen Reef + Zendikar's Roil deck I've seen going around?

No need to go track down the list. If it's the Reef+Roil deck, I know it well from playing against it.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I know from context that you're talking about Animar, Soul of Elements, but I'm amused by how the bolded line could describe a half-dozen cards. The first couple of Commander sets had some really broken Legendaries. Animar, Kaalia, Edric, Ghave, Mimeoplasm, and Derevi are all nuts. And the second Commander set had a Legend that required immediate errata! (Marath)

Every way in which WotC has evaded the traditional rules of commander (casting-cost based effects, avoiding tax, commander ninjitsu, partners, and eminence) has produced at least one cEDH deck, although it was only very recently that Inalla got truly busted (she can win with just Spellseeker and 2UB mana open, no board or other cards needed!)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Elemental theme right as m20 rotates out would be a bummer

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular

I can't find it. Is it basically the Risen Reef + Zendikar's Roil deck I've seen going around?

No need to go track down the list. If it's the Reef+Roil deck, I know it well from playing against it.

This is what I have running right now. Definitely some updates could be made to make it stronger, like mainboarding some wipes instead of having to tutor from sideboard. I used to run Field of the Dead but it never made a difference in the deck.
    Deck
    2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
    3 Forest (IKO) 274
    1 Island (IKO) 265
    3 Swamp (IKO) 268
    2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
    2 Path of Discovery (RIX) 142
    2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
    2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223
    2 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
    2 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
    4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
    3 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
    2 Fertilid (IKO) 152
    1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
    3 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
    2 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
    4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
    3 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
    2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
    2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
    2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
    2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
    1 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
    2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
    2 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
    3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
    1 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79

Sideboard
    2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
    1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
    2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
    1 Mnemonic Betrayal (GRN) 189
    2 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
    1 Emergent Ultimatum (IKO) 185
    1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
    1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) GR8
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
    1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options

This is what I have running right now. Definitely some updates could be made to make it stronger, like mainboarding some wipes instead of having to tutor from sideboard. I used to run Field of the Dead but it never made a difference in the deck.
    Deck
    2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
    3 Forest (IKO) 274
    1 Island (IKO) 265
    3 Swamp (IKO) 268
    2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
    2 Path of Discovery (RIX) 142
    2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
    2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223
    2 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
    2 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
    4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
    3 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
    2 Fertilid (IKO) 152
    1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
    3 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
    2 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
    4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
    3 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
    2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
    2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
    2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
    2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
    1 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
    2 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
    2 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
    3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253

Sideboard
    2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
    1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
    2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
    1 Mnemonic Betrayal (GRN) 189
    2 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
    1 Emergent Ultimatum (IKO) 185
    1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
    1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) GR8
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
    1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207

Looks a lot like Command the Dreadhorde. Just no Commands.

• Options
    I forget her name but is that Boros Planeswalker's + ability a fixed/nonbroken Stoneforge Mystic?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I forget her name but is that Boros Planeswalker's + ability a fixed/nonbroken Stoneforge Mystic?

no it's just bad

(that might not be true but I don't really see how's it's related to SFM's ability as it does neither of the things SFM does)

I'm not sure what "fixed/nonbroken Stoneforge Mystic" means tbh. SFM was broken in a specific format, but doesn't really make a peep/serves a valuable role in others. If it was dropped into Standard it would be busted with Embercleave, but you take Embercleave out and I don't think it'd make a splash.

(looking at current equipment -- it's too bad Colossus Hammer doesn't give trample because that might actually be a decent jank combo with Nahiri)

• Options
    I think I had the first 2 traits confused. By "unbroken" I was alluding to a version of Mystic that wouldn't break the format. Such as removing her tap ability.

I can't put it into words but I basically am curious if that's an attempt to bring back Stoneforge without breaking the format

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Trying out the deck in M21, and I'm only hitting mutate and dimir flash decks, so I seem to be winning too often there.

.... Sadly "The wheels on the death go round and round" is too long a deck name

So, deck works in the M21 Play queue but not in the M21 Diamond ranked queue.
    Keep running into graveyard hate, but also adventure (to Wish but not into Ugin which I don't understand, they appear to wish for their dead giants back and then Sleep), and then green trample which doesn't care about deathtouch.

Trying the constellation Pegasus and no zombie knight or deathtouch snake.
    Might work better with the debuffs/Hateful/Avengel as a payoff.
    Probably put the black Omen instead of the Foulmire, but maybe more mill is needed.

discrider on
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

no it's just bad

(that might not be true but I don't really see how's it's related to SFM's ability as it does neither of the things SFM does)

I'm not sure what "fixed/nonbroken Stoneforge Mystic" means tbh. SFM was broken in a specific format, but doesn't really make a peep/serves a valuable role in others. If it was dropped into Standard it would be busted with Embercleave, but you take Embercleave out and I don't think it'd make a splash.

(looking at current equipment -- it's too bad Colossus Hammer doesn't give trample because that might actually be a decent jank combo with Nahiri)

Exactly. Stoneforge's activated ability bypasses casting costs, so it always carries the potential to be problematic, but on most equipment the equip cost will remain a constraint. What breaks her is when she's paired up with equipment where the equip cost is irrelevant, like Batterskull's Living Weapon or Embercleave's "When Embercleave enters the battlefield, attach it to target creature you control."

BTW, Stoneforge Mystic's Worldwake art shows Nahiri before she found her planeswalker spark. Spoilered for huge scryfall images:
    [img][/img]4d3473d0-b46f-41f5-ac1e-ba217f7747d4.jpg
    9a226eae-1c77-45a9-9115-f846b76681a3.jpg

• Options
    I feel like I'm missing a feature on Untapped.gg because I want to look up all the cards I faced in the Orzhov Lifegain deck that wiped the floor with me. It was really good and I think I can build it with minimal wildcards. I can pull up play history, and it tells me I lost to the deck, but doesn't give any other details.

• Options
    All of these planeswalker-heavy draw-go decks in Diamond are 10000000000x more painful to play against than Field of the Dead

and they are far more numerous than Field ever was

I feel like they let the dam loose on miserable control decks

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll see the return of something like the Kaldra equipment. It would go well with an adventure/equipment set like Zendikar.

Also it was fucking cool, and I want more of that.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Time for the return of Izzet Drakes.