As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Speaking of jank: If I have song of creation out ditching my hand at the beginning of my end step and also wilderness reclamation (or 2) out, I can still cast instants in my hand if I have full control on and order the triggers, yeah?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Speaking of jank: If I have song of creation out ditching my hand at the beginning of my end step and also wilderness reclamation (or 2) out, I can still cast instants in my hand if I have full control on and order the triggers, yeah?

Yep.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    There's something about that feeling when you see the opponent drop a Teferi's Tutelage on the field while you have a Jace in hand.

I almost felt bad because they were going off on their mill plan. They ended up with 3 tutelage's on the field!

They probably didn't even expect it because I was playing a goofy sultai elementals deck.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Yep.

Just remember the stack is first in last out, so put the discard trigger first. Because that’s always confusing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Yep.

Just remember the stack is first in last out, so put the discard trigger first. Because that’s always confusing

Arena's usually pretty good about stack ordering.

Usually. Sometimes you want to do something weird.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    There's something about that feeling when you see the opponent drop a Teferi's Tutelage on the field while you have a Jace in hand.

I almost felt bad because they were going off on their mill plan. They ended up with 3 tutelage's on the field!

They probably didn't even expect it because I was player a goofy sultai elementals deck.

Always fun doing the unexpected.

I have a BUG peer into the abyss deck.
    Al lot of ramp and teferis tutelage and underworld dreams. That way I can cast peer into the abyss on myself or the opponent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Elldren wrote: »

Yep.

I think the "first" and "last" labels in the UI actually do translate to resolution order rather than stack order? But then again I end up outwitting myself and doing it wrong almost every time, so maybe don't listen to me.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Noxious got screwed by this in his Underworld Abyss video. I want to say it resolved left to right?

EDIT: I was wrong and misremembering what happened. He chose the wrong casting order off of Emergent Ultimatum

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    God damn matchmaker decided to put my elementals deck against ANOTHER tutelage mill deck.

How bizarre! Luckily I drew one of my 2 Jaces again!

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Hi,

So what I ended up doing was switching to historic ranked and playing the npe decks, specifically the Gruul one, and the Orzhov and Boros ones when I unlocked them. They felt like a bit of a jump in overall power, and historic I've had much more fun in against a wider variety of deck types. (Like not every single one is using Uro or lurrus) and it's helped me get a better feel for the game because I feel there's a bit less randomness as far as power level.

The only major plays that kill me dead are white control decks with crazy life gain and those enchantments that seize your creatures. None of the npe decks have a counter to that

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Green has a lot of enchantment hate. I like running Simic mutate against enchantment heavy. I can destroy what I want and bounce other things all while expanding my board

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Please tell me who it was that decided to bring mill back, so I can drive to their house and kick them in the nuts over and over and over and over and over.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mill is pretty much always around and always bad. There just aren't that many people who want to play it so you can go months without seeing it in the queues.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I am immediately quitting any game when teferi or ugin get dropped and that’s been helping my sanity a bit. These npe decks have no answers to those plays

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    A few expansions back, I'd quit a game if the opponent played Hallowed Fountain as their first land. It was always control and it was always games that took forever and you lost 100% of the time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Please tell me who it was that decided to bring mill back, so I can drive to their house and kick them in the nuts over and over and over and over and over.

If they were going to drop super mill cards they could have at least refined the arena to quickly execute the whole batch at once instead of the super slow one at time resolution of the mill bomb.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    500 gems up for 2000 gold as a daily deal

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    M21 draft has continued being unkind to me with a swift 0-3 bot draft where RG power didn't come together (because I didn't have removal) and just got run over repeatedly.

Decided to take another swing at it and wound up with this 7-1 beast:
    aulmx3xw8l3m.png

Now I'm finally out of Silver hell and never have to ranked draft this format again.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What are your tips for M21 Draft at this point? I've only been doing constructed so far but plan to hop into Limited in the next week or so.

• Options
    What are your tips for M21 Draft at this point? I've only been doing constructed so far but plan to hop into Limited in the next week or so.

Either be aggressive or have a rock-solid plan to stop aggression. Take cheap removal highly, especially if you want to go UB or RG.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The reanimator deck is real and good and doesn’t really require much support outside black itself so long as you can pick up a decent number of crypt lurkers. Crypt lurker bin your huge thing into rise again next turn is a great line even if you don’t have good looters.

Red/green stompy is fairly easy to fall into but isn’t particularly great due to the good removal in the set.

Boros aggro is p strong

Blue red spells is good stuff

The green white counters deck is hard to draft successfully but works when it comes together

The sacrifice deck is pretty bad

The mill deck actually works so long as you grab all the teferi’s tutelages and focus on cantrips

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The red 'turn your lands into removal' shrine seems pretty good, if you can get that and other shrines.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    The red 'turn your lands into removal' shrine seems pretty good, if you can get that and other shrines.

Shrines are generally bad in limited except the black shrine. Uncommon are also deeply hard to build around as any given uncommon shows up 0.9 times per pod.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

Shrines are generally bad in limited except the black shrine. Uncommon are also deeply hard to build around as any given uncommon shows up 0.9 times per pod.

It's also difficult to build around even if you get them because you need to have support for many (3+) colors. The green shrine helps a lot if you get it down early but the next best solutions (Cultivate, Meteorite I guess) are also uncommons. If you get lucky you'll get splash-gainlands maybe.

When it works it feels great. But those drafts are exceptions.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The shrines are good if they are a card that you'd already want to play and is in a color you're at least secondary in. Black shrine is good because "drain 1 every turn" for 1B is amazing in limited. The green shrine is OK because the fail-case is a bad manalith, which is playable if unexciting for a greedy 3-color draft. The blue, red, and especially white shrines are really terrible on their own, except maybe blue in a mill deck.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Had the green, red and blue shrine in a deck, and that was pretty good.
    Rest of the deck wasn't, but that wasn't the red shrine's fault.
    But that was after seeing a pack with the red shrine and another shrine (blue I think) in it, and then having the other shrine cycle around.

• Options
    I had this nonsense last weekend:
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Used my free draft token to try a Bo3 M21 draft since Bo1 has been breaking my face.
    x4pbfjdvbz6c.png

I have never had more fun with a 2-1 run. The G3 I lost (r2) was mostly due to drawing a million lands.

Like I said, it can be done. But wow do you have to work for it and still be lucky. I would have killed to have seen a black shrine at any point in that draft.

• Options
    Managed to make Diamond with Kaya.dek
    Final boss was a dev:
    zf9mho18unos.pngofdmi48ebttr.png
    Was all destruction vs all destruction, and they conceded when it looked like I was getting a planeswalker back out of the bin.
    Or conceded because it was pass go for like 3-4 turns because we both weren't playing stuff and it was obnoxious.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Boo. No coin or gem rewards for Jumpstart sucks.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020

It's unlimited play and guaranteed max wins every run. How would they go about having gold rewards?

As far as events go, two rares with card selection and two rare ICRs for 2k is very good.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I was hoping it would be more like drafts. Pay to play and get rewards in currency to play again based on how well you do. My interest in constructed play is highly limited to what I have to do to earn more currency for drafts etc so I don't really care about card rewards.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I was hoping it would be more like drafts. Pay to play and get rewards in currency to play again based on how well you do. My interest in constructed play is highly limited to what I have to do to earn more currency for drafts etc so I don't really care about card rewards.

Then the limited format with literally unlimited play for 2k gold seems like an excellent deal for you so, again, I fail to see the issue. Were you hoping Jumpstart was a format you could shark to play more drafts?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Having just recently downloaded Arena for Mac (which is hilariously unstable) and am now getting back into Magic, any particular cards from Jumpstart (and the relevant packs) that I should be looking out for?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Having just recently downloaded Arena for Mac (which is hilariously unstable) and am now getting back into Magic, any particular cards from Jumpstart (and the relevant packs) that I should be looking out for?

Jumpstart isn't playable in Standard and nobody has tried to use them in Historic yet to know, so not really. Craterhoof Behemoth is probably Historic playable, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Then the limited format with literally unlimited play for 2k gold seems like an excellent deal for you so, again, I fail to see the issue. Were you hoping Jumpstart was a format you could shark to play more drafts?

I just prefer the structure of a draft and thought Jumpstart would emulate it. i.e. rewards that let me play me more Jumpstarts and and mini tournament structure.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

I just prefer the structure of a draft and thought Jumpstart would emulate it. i.e. rewards that let me play me more Jumpstarts and and mini tournament structure.

And I'm glad I get to play Jumpstart without stressing about bad matchups or constantly sinking gold into it. It's a fun pickup format, not a spikey limited one.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    metaghost wrote: »

What format is relevant for you? If you're planning on playing historic, here's a spreadsheet of the rares/mythics that will probably be played in historic.

If you're just looking for M21 rares to fill out your standard collection, here's a reddit post about the best themes for that. https://reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/hs1gjo/jumpstart_historic_collection_tier_list_for_rare/

If you're just playing for fun, go wild. It doesn't matter too much which packs you take. Some themes are rarer than the others so I'd take the planeswalkers, milling, phyrexian, rainbow, sesmic, unicorns, walls if you see them offered as they probably won't come up again right away.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

It's unlimited play and guaranteed max wins every run. How would they go about having gold rewards?

As far as events go, two rares with card selection and two rare ICRs for 2k is very good.

This is only sort of true. Almost none of the rares are in standard formats, which to me doesn't make them worth the 2k. I agree I would have liked enough rewards to put towards doing more jumpstart decks, though, because I think it's a super neat way to play.

Also I don't appreciate your claiming we want to "shark" the casual limited format to play more drafts.

Edit: wait, you do have to pay 2k each time right? Or can I make a new deck without paying an entry fee?

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Ran into a player named Labradors who was playing what looked to be a singleton dog deck in Diamond.
    My deck just failed to fire though, otherwise would've been happy to lose to it.

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

This is only sort of true. Almost none of the rares are in standard formats, which to me doesn't make them worth the 2k. I agree I would have liked enough rewards to put towards doing more jumpstart decks, though, because I think it's a super neat way to play.

Also I don't appreciate your claiming we want to "shark" the casual limited format to play more drafts.

Edit: wait, you do have to pay 2k each time right? Or can I make a new deck without paying an entry fee?

You keep the cards so no of course you have to pay the 2k again. Otherwise you could pay 2k and keep going until you got all the cards.