Mashups, Remixes, Covers, Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

124»

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited October 8
    Jragghen wrote: »
    1991 is up

e: Linked the wrong one.

Aw yeah, Loleatta Holloway there at the start. As far as this thread goes, I'd guess that after, probably, James Brown, and the Amen, Brother drummer from The Winstons she's up there with the most sampled performers.

Here's a pretty scorching version of (not the usual) one of her songs:

(fake edit: WhoSampled has Public Enemy in third and then Lynn Collins in fourth place, though poking around a bit, that's mostly the 'whoo...yeah' sample rather than Lynn Collins's vocals.)

djmitchella on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Everyone ready for Halloween?

This is one I'm not gonna be able to put on my proton pack playlist.

Dee KaeNarbusJragghenknitdan
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    That is fantastic.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Dee KaeFencingsaxTankHammer
    Zonugal wrote: »
    That is fantastic.

Happy birthday Zon

Zonugal
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Clone Hero community makes some real good stupid bullshit

JragghenBucketman
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    This is an amazing mashup of some oooold Russian folk song:

(has no relation to anime despite the aesthetic)

This one, however...

Dangerous rabbit hole, but the best one.

lPeK6xY.png
    PeasBucketman
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The Clone Hero community makes some real good stupid bullshit

Man the full version of one of the things in there is pretty impressive.

BucketmanPeas
    The Hood Internet did another couple of years; 1992:

and just now 1993:

It's interesting to go through the comments where someone's spotting all the samples, and it is amazing to me how people manage it. There's like one second of the drums from Xtal in the 1992 video, and knowing where it is (1:56, on top of Walking On Broken Glass), I can hear them, but I have no idea how someone found it in the first place.

(and yes, 1993 contains the song you'd expect it to)

PeasJragghen
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Went back and listened to Mouth Sounds for the first time in years just now, and then ended up listening to the rest of the Neil C mashup albums as a chaser

Vivid Memories Turn To Fantasies, Tears in Chocolate Rain, No Credit Card, and Mullet With Butterfly Wings are the tracks from Sounds that really hold up as high points. Promenade is also a great opener, and Smooth Flow is a pretty grand closer. The rest of the album is just kinda there in comparison to those tracks, and a lot of the songs I haven't named either have kinda messy production or feel weirdly placed in the album. I kinda like The Sharpest Tool as a weird industrial devolution of All-Star, though, and a few of those tracks have a few grand ambitions that are improved upon substantially in later albums

Speaking of which, Silence still holds up as well as I remember, which is to say pretty well. Rollercloser, Sexual Lion King, and Crocodile Chop have a couple slightly forced-sounding audio cuts (especially those first two), but overall the mixing is greatly improved and that helps some of the grander ambitions Mouth Sounds aimed for really feel attainable. Best and Numbers both feel like Neil is absolutely stress-testing the number of samples he can lay on top of one another without the whole thing collapsing and by some miracle both songs work. Best is still one of the funniest mashups I've ever heard, for exactly these reasons. I also still think Orgone Girls is transcendent, especially once the violins kick in. And then WNDRWLL and Piss are back to back soundclown gold and work far better than either really should

My single favorite two-track mashup on Moods is Dear Dinosaur, which is both in the category of Unironically Good Mashup and is also fantastic stoner rock.

I think my current ranking has actually flipped around a far bit, going Silence > Moods > Dreams > Sounds, with the biggest gap being that last one (the rest are all on relatively even footing)

Jragghen
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Silence also has Friends, aka the best 11 seconds of mashup ever done

Fencingsax
    1994:

This one has a bit more of a stylistic progression than some of the other ones. I've also been finding it fun to look at the list of artists in there and see which ones I can spot -- for example, Warren G and Nate Dogg was obviously going to be Regulate so when the whistle came in at 0:30 I was expecting it.

Then there's the annoying ones where I recognise something but can't remember what it's from; the echoing 'hey' in the background at 3:07 was irritatingly familar but I couldn't place it. Fortunately someone's still making a list of them all, and turns out it's from Here Comes The Hotstepper -- and yeah, that's where the sample comes from, but it's also not the most memorable bit of the song so it's interesting which things stick in my memory.

And while this is a couple of years later, Elastica in that one got me thinking about Republica, who did two fairly different versions of the same song:

This is the 'official release':

but the original is fairly different:

more classic dang dang dang ga-dang-ga-dang piano and 90s synth/bass, more virtua fighter 2, but less zoom.

(though to be fair _EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD_ has less zoom than the first one)

Also, it's nice to see videos where everyone was clearly just having a ton of fun making them.

Peas
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    1992 was a year of bangers.

I'm not genx but it's got to be hard to compete with outside of the late 60s.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    you reposted in the wrong plastic love 4:37

5myiokloks5d.png