Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I just think it's a little unusual that a group of BLM protesters set up an illegal barricade right next to the location where Rayshard Brooks was killed, and then opened fire on a vehicle and killed an 8 year old girl inside when they tried to drive around them two days ago and there hasn't been a single post about it in the thread that was created to talk about the current protests. The illegal barrier was back up less than an hour later. No mentions of it in this thread.

It was a serious enough incident that the Georgia governor has called in the National Guard, you'd think someone would have thought to mention it before I did.

Not everything gets mentioned instantly. There's a lot going on and it's the weekend and a holiday weekend no less. People are busy. You could have been the one to bring it to the attention of the thread. But that's not what you wanted to do. You wanted to exploit the death of an 8 year old girl to try and one up posters on this forum. Maybe you should think long and hard about that.

Also we had a long and argumentative several pages? about the somewhat similar situation that happened in Seattle.

Aye. Which is why I mention "Don't shoot at moving vehicles". I'm trying to find a good link for stats on the issue but stopping police from shooting at moving vehicles is a policy that actually leads to a kind of ridiculous lowering of shooting injuries and fatalities by the police. It's just an incredibly dangerous and stupid thing to do.

Especially because killing the driver can just turn the car into an unguided missile if the corpse's foot happens to land on the accelerator.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just think it's a little unusual that a group of BLM protesters set up an illegal barricade right next to the location where Rayshard Brooks was killed, and then opened fire on a vehicle and killed an 8 year old girl inside when they tried to drive around them two days ago and there hasn't been a single post about it in the thread that was created to talk about the current protests. The illegal barrier was back up less than an hour later. No mentions of it in this thread.

It was a serious enough incident that the Georgia governor has called in the National Guard, you'd think someone would have thought to mention it before I did.

Not everything gets mentioned instantly. There's a lot going on and it's the weekend and a holiday weekend no less. People are busy. You could have been the one to bring it to the attention of the thread. But that's not what you wanted to do. You wanted to exploit the death of an 8 year old girl to try and one up posters on this forum. Maybe you should think long and hard about that.

Also, we don't actually know who shot her. Cause it ain't like there haven't been armed jackasses bringing guns to protest sites to menace protesters or anything. The claim that it must have been protesters is right now, totally spurious.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

If she’s convicted, how severe will her sentence actually be? My guess is it will be as light as possible or as close to as light as possible!

it's a misdemeanor, so she's looking at a max of one year, which she won't get. Probably a fine and some community service. Which according to some people on twitter is far too much.

Sadly the legal system is not well equipped to handle weaponized white privilege yet.

White people aren't going to learn until they are held accountable for attempted murder. That should be the second charge after this false report business.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

@SmokeStacks A big reason a lot of the happenings in Seattle got posted as quickly and covered extensively as they did is because many people on these boards live/work in Seattle. There is a large enough subset of us here in the Pacific Northwest such that we even have our own thread here in DnD. I do not know of a similar cohort of people who are likewise based in Atlanta and members of this board.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Seems to me you're still trying to argue that the St. Louis couple had entirely good reason to fear for their lives and property at the hands of the howling, bloodthirsty, torches-and-pitchforks-wielding mob, and were entirely justified in threatening the latter with lethal force in the defense of same. Standing firm in the face of the seething mass of thugs and degenerates in their mindless rampage of indiscriminate destruction, murder and pillage, etc etc and forcing the horde to back down. How fortunate that they were willing and prepared to defend themselves, or who knows what might have happened?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Also we had a long and argumentative several pages? about the somewhat similar situation that happened in Seattle.

Indeed.

This isn’t Reddit. It’s a small community. You really can be the first to mention something here, and perhaps people will be interested. If they get the impression you’re coming in good faith, that is.

Edit: Hell, I didn’t hear about the vehicular homicide in Seattle until like a full day later, and being from there (though recently moved away) I generally listen for stuff going on in PNW. People get busy over weekends and don’t always follow every story.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Seems to me you're still trying to argue that the Minnesota couple had entirely good reason to fear for their lives and property at the hands of the howling, bloodthirsty, torches-and-pitchforks-wielding mob, and were entirely justified in threatening the latter with lethal force in the defense of same. Standing firm in the face of the seething mass of thugs and degenerates in their mindless rampage of indiscriminate destruction, murder and pillage, etc etc and forcing them to back down. How fortunate that they were willing and prepared to defend themselves, or who knows what might have happened?

What Minnesota couple? You mean the man and woman with guns in St. Louis who were menacing people from their front yard?

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    It's been a couple of days now, what's the current thread take on the eight year old girl who was shot and killed by protesters in Atlanta on the 4th, anyway?

what answer are you fishing for here, just so we know

This is a thread about protests regarding police brutality. I just want to make sure you aren't conveniently forgetting to discuss a situation that paints protesters in a bad light (like what happened the other day with the private road debacle).

If you're only interested in talking about events that reinforce your views than its not debate and discourse, it's more like a circlejerk.

Setting aside the issue of you trying to frame the protesters being killed by a vehicle that deliberately maneuvered around a police roadblock and accelerated into them with the purposeful intent to injure/kill as being the fault of the protestors

What exactly is your goal here?

Are you trying to get us to admit that not every single individual who has been present while the protests have been going on have behaved in a nebulously defined "civilized and peaceful" manner? What will that accomplish?

As far as anything I've read it was not a police roadblock, it was a random roadblock set up by protestors.

The official statement I'm seeing in any news article on it says they were trying to enter a parking lot and got blocked by a bunch of armed people and then there does not seem to be many details beyond that. It sounds like the car tried to get around the barricade that had been constructed and then someone opened fire.

*snip* On further reading I realize that this isn't related to the incident in Seattle.

Sorry for bringing it up.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    It's been a couple of days now, what's the current thread take on the eight year old girl who was shot and killed by protesters in Atlanta on the 4th, anyway?

what answer are you fishing for here, just so we know

This is a thread about protests regarding police brutality. I just want to make sure you aren't conveniently forgetting to discuss a situation that paints protesters in a bad light (like what happened the other day with the private road debacle).

If you're only interested in talking about events that reinforce your views than its not debate and discourse, it's more like a circlejerk.

Setting aside the issue of you trying to frame the protesters being killed by a vehicle that deliberately maneuvered around a police roadblock and accelerated into them with the purposeful intent to injure/kill as being the fault of the protestors

What exactly is your goal here?

Are you trying to get us to admit that not every single individual who has been present while the protests have been going on have behaved in a nebulously defined "civilized and peaceful" manner? What will that accomplish?

As far as anything I've read it was not a police roadblock, it was a random roadblock set up by protestors.

The official statement I'm seeing in any news article on it says they were trying to enter a parking lot and got blocked by a bunch of armed people and then there does not seem to be many details beyond that. It sounds like the car tried to get around the barricade that had been constructed and then someone opened fire.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/protests/interstate-5-driver-seattle-protesters-struck-court-monday/281-616b4fd5-50d1-48b1-8ffd-f11cf09cb0b3

Almost every story on it frames it poorly, but yes there were police barricades further beyond where the protesters had blocked I-5. Part of the reason you can hear sirens in the video before you see the protesters being attacked by the driver is because he had slipped past one such barricade.

I think it's purposefully being talked around because as you can see the official narrative around this seems to be to establish that had they not been there the murderer couldn't have tried to murder them.

I think you guys are talking about seperate incidents. Shryke was talking about the Atlanta one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Seems to me you're still trying to argue that the Minnesota couple had entirely good reason to fear for their lives and property at the hands of the howling, bloodthirsty, torches-and-pitchforks-wielding mob, and were entirely justified in threatening the latter with lethal force in the defense of same. Standing firm in the face of the seething mass of thugs and degenerates in their mindless rampage of indiscriminate destruction, murder and pillage, etc etc and forcing them to back down. How fortunate that they were willing and prepared to defend themselves, or who knows what might have happened?

What Minnesota couple? You mean the man and woman with guns in St. Louis who were menacing people from their front yard?

My mistake; fixed. (One of those "M" states, donchaknow.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Aye. Which is why I mention "Don't shoot at moving vehicles". I'm trying to find a good link for stats on the issue but stopping police from shooting at moving vehicles is a policy that actually leads to a kind of ridiculous lowering of shooting injuries and fatalities by the police. It's just an incredibly dangerous and stupid thing to do.

I found this document (pdf), which has some sources linked.

EDIT: (retyped, because that doc isn't real text)
    What is surprising is that almost all police departments prohibit officers from firing at moving vehicles.
    Most conventional police firearms, in fact, will normally fail to penetrate automobile bodies, or steel-belted automobile tires that are in motion, and frequently do not penetrate auto safety glass.
    Even if an officer is able to disable the vehicle, it "will most likely continue under its own power or momentum for some distance thus creating another hazard."
    "shooting into a car is a bad idea for all kinds of reasons."
    According to one study, 91% of police pursuits are precipitated by a nonviolent offense.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    "The South" is in every state of the union. It's a subset of culture, not a location.

At this point calling it "The South" is probably akin to gas-lighting. It's Confederate culture. No need to drag non-evil Southerners into it.

I think the education system in the South still teaches its "War of Northern Aggression" bullshit, which you won't get in schools outside of the South. I've heard people down here say some real dumb shit about how the Civil War happened because the North wanted the South's money (lol) that I know probably was taught to them in school.

Well, the Southern states were wealthy, but that's because it was a culture founded on slavery and one could be rich when one didn't have to pay for labor.

They were not wealthy. Not per capita. Not in total. They were poor; the wealth was just heavily concentrated.

The North was significantly wealthier and more productive. There was very little that the North really needed from the South and this was one of the drivers of the war. The South thought that, if things progressed, the North would outlaw slavery on the idea that the disruption it would cause in the south would not significantly effect northerners.

Slavery was very likely a drag on the economy. Investing in your property and people is a good way to increase productivity and wealth but investing in people who they're slaves makes them more likely to rebel and succeed at it. Industrial equipment makes this easier. Any better tool that can also be used as a better weapon is dangerous. You need to expend more labor per real productivity because you need people watching the slaves and preventing them from rebelling. In the north the people that would have been watching slaves were working in productive fields. (that is, you need far less management when people are working voluntarily even if the conditions are shit)

The South had fallen behind and the gap was continuing to grow. There were very few universities in the south and the ones that did exist were largely new. William and Mary and Washington and Lee (yes, that Lee, named after him when he took the top job after the war) were the only two universities that existed in the south before 1800. The North had at least 8. Southern Schools weren't really needed because there was not enough of a population in the South that would reasonably attend. The elite of the south could be educated in Northern schools and since there was no level right below the elite besides "absolute pauper" there was little demand for local schools. And then those that did attend and did not get inheritances of land would likely move north... where they did not need slaves in order to prosper.

Slightly related, this gets into one of the areas I really dislike with many grand strategy games, where they have slavery because it's historically accurate or a thing that shitty governments would do. The rub is they often portray them as being some sort of economic net gain and in some really bad cases, have them hands down better than setups that would realistically be better. I'm hoping this movement gets many game companies to reevaluate how they utilize slavery in their story telling and game mechanics. Many really should just drop it from their games, for instance Stellaris really has no business letting people have slavering empires. I know many developers don't intent to endorse slavery but any game that makes it a viable way to play is essentially doing just that. It implies their was some merit behind the idea when there was none.

Anyways, something that have happened in the last week to keep an eye on.
    Senator Warner (D-VA) introduced a provision for the NDA to improve reporting of white supremacist activity within the armed forces. We'll see if it makes it, given that we've had a few cases of white supremacists getting caught plotting violent acts while still being in the services.

Senator Kaine (D-VA) is pushing for an amendment to the NDA that forbids the use of the military to break up peaceful protests. Apparently, this got universal support in the committee on voice vote, so probably gets in.

Trump has made noise that he'll veto the NDA if there is any attempt to rename military bases that have been named after traitors to the nation. Republicans don't seem keen on making that a hill they want to die on and it might look really bad if both Warner's and Kaine's amendments are in the bill. Didn't see much mention if Warner's got in, but Kaine definitely looks like it'll be part of the bill.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

I found this document (pdf), which has some sources linked.

EDIT: (retyped, because that doc isn't real text)
    What is surprising is that almost all police departments prohibit officers from firing at moving vehicles.
    Most conventional police firearms, in fact, will normally fail to penetrate automobile bodies, or steel-belted automobile tires that are in motion, and frequently do not penetrate auto safety glass.
    Even if an officer is able to disable the vehicle, it "will most likely continue under its own power or momentum for some distance thus creating another hazard."
    "shooting into a car is a bad idea for all kinds of reasons."
    According to one study, 91% of police pursuits are precipitated by a nonviolent offense.

My starting position on high speed chases is they are never ever worthwhile.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    attempted lynching in bloomington in broad daylight

not linking because it is upsetting but those fuckers have been identified and need to be charged with a hate crime and attempted murder

I watched it because I wasn't sure what I was watching and then yeah jesus fucking christ

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes from it as far as the shitheads in question being held accountable but if I'm being honest I'm not optimistic.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    1) This is not a civil war thread.

2) I'm sure that since SmokeStacks would like to talk about the shooting of Secoriea Turner in the context of this thread, he is prepared to cite a meaningful source that explicitly states that it was committed by protesters rather than "two men as the shooters -- one in all black 'like a bounty hunter' and the second in a white t-shirt." Because while only protesters dress like bounty hunters and set up barricades where protests happen, of course, it always pays to make sure your information is reliably sourced.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Had another instance where I get called ANTIFA over the holiday weekend. Not as bad as the last time I posted about it. But still...the fuck? Went to Circle K to get some beer for the night and as I entered some older white guy mentions out loud "Look out we got Antifa here" across the store to a plains clothes cop. Thankfully no one seemed to care.

Apparently a Baby Yoda face mask and a blue Scott-E-Vest = Antifa to these people. Thanks Trump and all the fear mongering GOP for making it to where my daily wear = domestic terrorist. *rolls eyes*

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Had another instance where I get called ANTIFA over the holiday weekend. Not as bad as the last time I posted about it. But still...the fuck? Went to Circle K to get some beer for the night and as I entered some older white guy mentions out loud "Look out we got Antifa here" across the store to a plains clothes cop. Thankfully no one seemed to care.

Apparently a Baby Yoda face mask and a blue Scott-E-Vest = Antifa to these people. Thanks Trump and all the fear mongering GOP for making it to where my daily wear = domestic terrorist. *rolls eyes*

lol, we need photos of your outfits! What state is this?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    notya wrote: »

lol, we need photos of your outfits! What state is this?

AZ for reference. Only photo I have readily available is my Jason face mask from Tom Savini's workshop
    Spoiled for V-Scroll
    gzy88x6dd51c.jpg

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Just say "Hell yeah, everyone should oppose fascism."

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Not...in...this...state

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Not...in...this...state

I suppose I'm a large white guy, so I have the privilege to say something like that and not be particularly worried.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Not...in...this...state

I suppose I'm a large white guy, so I have the privilege to say something like that and not be particularly worried.

6' 6'' and 270 pounds mostly of Irish descent in a state with more bullets than brain cells. It is better to take the verbal assault than risk it. Especially with a cop in the establishment in this state.

Psychotic One on
  • Options

Not...in...this...state

Hell, you can barely say that in so-called "liberal" areas of this country and not fear for reprisals. Trump seems to have emboldened these assholes into thinking they can strike in public with no consequences.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Not...in...this...state

Hell, you can barely say that in so-called "liberal" areas of this country and not fear for reprisals. Trump seems to have emboldened these assholes into thinking they can strike in public with no consequences.

I mean, it sure looks like they’re not just thinking it. They can.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Can we not link Prager U here, I don't want to poison my recommendations on YouTube to serve up alt right Nazi bullshit

You're free to not click the clearly labeled video that explicitly says yes, the civil war was about slavery.

Still gonna fuck up their recommendations!

Okay, so I was hasty there and that was a mistake; it's not fair to assume everybody knows what Prager U is and can make an informed decision when they click a labeled Prager U video... but are you telling me that youtube's algorithm is influenced by a person scrolling past an embedded video on a forum without clicking it? I had the impression youtube makes its decisions based the on the things you actually engage with.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Can we not link Prager U here, I don't want to poison my recommendations on YouTube to serve up alt right Nazi bullshit

You're free to not click the clearly labeled video that explicitly says yes, the civil war was about slavery.

Okay, so I was hasty there and that was a mistake; it's not fair to assume everybody knows what Prager U is and can make an informed decision when they click a labeled Prager U video... but are you telling me that youtube's algorithm is influenced by a person scrolling past an embedded video on a forum without clicking it? I had the impression youtube makes its decisions based the on the things you actually engage with.

No, it definitely tracks embedded views. That's trivial data to collect so they collect it, even if it seems silly. The Google panopticon hungers.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

No, it definitely tracks embedded views. That's trivial data to collect so they collect it, even if it seems silly. The Google panopticon hungers.

I know it tracks embedded views. Duck said it's still going to fuck up their recommendations even if they don't view it.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I know it tracks embedded views. Duck said it's still going to fuck up their recommendations even if they don't view it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean viewing just the embed itself - i.e. the preview image and all. That still requires a request to their servers and I figure it's just a given they log that data point with everything else they have on you.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean viewing just the embed itself - i.e. the preview image and all.

...huh. I can't say as I've ever seen a youtube recommendation that implied any connection to an embed I just scrolled past. Maybe because I'm not on mobile? I'll take your word for it.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I mean viewing just the embed itself - i.e. the preview image and all.

...huh. I can't say as I've ever seen a youtube recommendation that implied any connection to an embed I just scrolled past. Maybe because I'm not on mobile? I'll take your word for it.

No, this is my experience as well. I don't watch any political or activism videos on Youtube, and I get zero political recommendations except for their "current hot topics" bar which is usually either four corona videos or four videos on north american protests. My wife LURRRRVES her some Maddow so her Youtube feed is full of political stuff from all over the spectrum.

I get a ton of video game, motorcycle, and Japan/Japanese language suggestions, Linus Tech Tips videos and stuff from the Escapist. Also I recently watched a SINGLE video on iPad accessories that I need to take out of my watch history because there are a ton of "top 12 best things to do with an iPad" videos on my recommended list right now.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    User interaction would typically be weighted far more heavily than a view impression in almost all cases. For a view impression outside of youtube's site itself, I don't imagine much useful data would come from using those to shape recommendations. Else someone would embed 300 videos, send the link to that page around, and oops there's all your recommendations forever.

To shape recommendations, you want to know 1: what the user touched, and 2: what they looked at, on the theory that viewing a thing indicates potential interest, though lesser than interaction. If someone else is controlling that view other than the user (say, in the embed context), that isn't something a user sought out, and as such is pretty much noise.

Think books. If I want to give you books I think you'd like, I want to know what books you've read from my store, as well as what books you picked up/flipped through/paused to check out the back of as you browsed. I care far less about the book you looked at the back of after someone handed it to you on the bus, unless you then read it, or went looking for it in-store.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I happened to sign into a friend's protest stream and there are folks talking about the recent victims who they were going to meet with, including someone who happened to be at the vet's that night for a cat emergency... and Summer was the cat's normal vet. :(

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

another day, another white supremacist terrorist copycat

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    "The South" is in every state of the union. It's a subset of culture, not a location.

At this point calling it "The South" is probably akin to gas-lighting. It's Confederate culture. No need to drag non-evil Southerners into it.

I think the education system in the South still teaches its "War of Northern Aggression" bullshit, which you won't get in schools outside of the South. I've heard people down here say some real dumb shit about how the Civil War happened because the North wanted the South's money (lol) that I know probably was taught to them in school.

This isn't a universal either, and got none of it in my South Carolina high school education.

The lie that gets pushed around in Southern states at lower levels is “the war was about state’s rights”

When you get to college and AP courses then they clarify “the states’ rights....to own slaves

I mean, maybe...but I went to the same high school that the Charleston shooter went to, and in my history class it was very clearly taught that the Civil War was about slavery

Yeah this was a number of years ago....but I still know the current Assistant Principal of that school.

This line of argument lets us ignore that people support the Confederacy and the alt history narrative because it runs counter to what they learned in school.

The state's rights argument is more in the Zeitgeist because of the Daughters and Sons of the Confederacy.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

another day, another white supremacist terrorist copycat

Officers investigated but didn't arrest.

Let me put on my surprised face.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This infamous scene from the Simpsons probably didn't help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwHQYDqf6c

Matt Greoning didn't exactly exactly grow up in the South.

This illustrates how insidious the Dunning School is. The joke is supposed to be that Apu, having studied US history for his exam, has a nuanced understanding of the Civil War while the presumedly natural-born examiner has a dumbed down understanding. Except that the reality is that Apu is just reciting discredited Dunning gooseshit, and the examiner is right.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    deleted: off topic

mrondeau on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Both the leaders of the North and South knew or at least believed they knew what limiting the expansion of slavery meant for slavery.

The goal might not have been to free the slave, but the result of slavery's expansion being halted and generally limited by the federal government whenever possible was pretty well believed to be the ultimate death of slavery.

Not to mention things like not really enforcing things like the federal fugitive slave law, which Lincoln hinted at in his first inaugural address:
    There is much controversy about the delivering up of fugitives from service or labor. The clause I now read is as plainly written in the Constitution as any other of its provisions:
    No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall in consequence of any law or regulation therein be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.
    It is scarcely questioned that this provision was intended by those who made it for the reclaiming of what we call fugitive slaves; and the intention of the lawgiver is the law. All members of Congress swear their support to the whole Constitution--to this provision as much as to any other. To the proposition, then, that slaves whose cases come within the terms of this clause "shall be delivered up" their oaths are unanimous. Now, if they would make the effort in good temper, could they not with nearly equal unanimity frame and pass a law by means of which to keep good that unanimous oath?

There is some difference of opinion whether this clause should be enforced by national or by State authority, but surely that difference is not a very material one. If the slave is to be surrendered, it can be of but little consequence to him or to others by which authority it is done. And should anyone in any case be content that his oath shall go unkept on a merely unsubstantial controversy as to how it shall be kept?

Again: In any law upon this subject ought not all the safeguards of liberty known in civilized and humane jurisprudence to be introduced, so that a free man be not in any case surrendered as a slave? And might it not be well at the same time to provide by law for the enforcement of that clause in the Constitution which guarantees that "the citizens of each State shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States"?
    Lincoln knew what leaving it to the states would mean for the law.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Not a Civil War thread.

I mean...

This discussion has been closed.