As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games are RADch

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Option 2.

Also, depending on the level of notes, maps and how you run your campaign, the players might not even realize they are being funneled, until after the fight, which would be funny. Or a good survival check might let them realize they are being funneled down and to the left, as if on purpose... and let them sweat it out.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Aszi Pliskin, Yuan-Ti Pureblood wizard-scholar and rogue agent met up with the Party last night.

Alembic White, the Party's Alchemist/Doctor was thrilled, he had crafted his magnum opus, this is it!
    They crowded around him, he took a big swig and exploded into giblets, drenching the rest of the Party in possum-man.

Aszi was watching from a discreet perch but gave himself away with an "oh shit!" Had to explain who I was, etc etc.
    It was going well up until the Saurian told them all I was a Yuan-Ti.

so I got Zone of Truth'd and managed to phrase my answers to be technically correct (he's from upper Sword Coast region, came to look for arcane treasures.)
    passed the CHA save to lie and tell them that I wasn't working for the Yuan-Ti in Chult and I didn't mean them any harm, So now I'm earnin' the Party's trust, helping them out.
    Unseen Servant puttin' everybody's tents up, Prestidigitation because nothin' feels like a pair of underwear becoming laundry fresh while you're still wearing them.

I'm gonna work with them because our plans align, but I'm also gonna steer them away from interfering with Yuan-Ti business out of, you know, we're kin.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ah yes, the party laundrymancer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    ah yes, the party laundrymancer

Oh you've met Matt?

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m gonna be running a real life game tomorrow for the first time in a good long while!

My head’s not with it for master planning, so it’ll just be a one shot, and I don’t feel like doing anything complex or homemade, so I’ve cracked open Apocalypse World.

I’m thinking acid rain-ocalypse. No explanation. Just watch out for the glowing clouds.

Send me your horrifying ideas!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Yeah, I figured option 2 would be better. Option 1 was more of a means to get the party captured by one of the two creatures that have an interest in capturing them. I thought it might be interesting to show that the deep gnomes could hypothetically deal with enemies by trapping them in tunnels until they die, but I can see how that would dissuade further use of the magic shield.

Now I just gotta figure out what monster or monsters to set the party against. I've got a behir mini I painted that I'd like to use, but a PC that gets swallowed would likely be completely screwed. Two of the players have ranged attacks and one is a monk with the mobile feat who can cover a lot of ground, so I could put the battle in a large chamber so they can utilize hit and run tactics, but the fourth player is a paladin who will have a high likelihood of being swallowed.

I previously found a homebrew yrthak conversion and made a custom mini. Maybe this is the time to use it?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I’m gonna be running a real life game tomorrow for the first time in a good long while!

My head’s not with it for master planning, so it’ll just be a one shot, and I don’t feel like doing anything complex or homemade, so I’ve cracked open Apocalypse World.

I’m thinking acid rain-ocalypse. No explanation. Just watch out for the glowing clouds.

Turn that acid rain into all sorts of acid weather systems

Like, acid rain is bad, but what about an acid hurricane? How much damage did the acid snow do to the infrastructure of northern cities? What does it feel like to get caught in the open during an acid hailstorm?

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular

First time someone Opens Their Brain, ask them how the rain pours in.

If anyone gets caught in the rain, ask someone else what patterns it burns onto them.

When there's a storm, ask someone what the downpour speaks.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Those 4e threads in CF are giving me the itch, but the concept that's stuck in my head is something I cooked up for 5th that is shockingly hard to work out any sort of good translation for. It's basically impossible to be a two-weapon thrower that also has good melee.

I'm trying to keep things simple. And, like, the Ranger is right there and I keep going "nah I want something simpler like essentials easy"

I think it's because I keep looking at the Scout's main damage feature and getting annoyed that it's only for melee. Like I think what I want is some dumb scout|hunter hybrid essentials ranger (you know, easy :tell_me_more: )

but also there's currently no Cha-based characters in the game so then I keep going wait can I make this work with Cha? And digging into the Blackguard and that makes me want stupid hybrid cheese even more. Ugh.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Those 4e threads in CF are giving me the itch, but the concept that's stuck in my head is something I cooked up for 5th that is shockingly hard to work out any sort of good translation for. It's basically impossible to be a two-weapon thrower that also has good melee.

I'm trying to keep things simple. And, like, the Ranger is right there and I keep going "nah I want something simpler like essentials easy"

I think it's because I keep looking at the Scout's main damage feature and getting annoyed that it's only for melee. Like I think what I want is some dumb scout|hunter hybrid essentials ranger (you know, easy :tell_me_more: )

but also there's currently no Cha-based characters in the game so then I keep going wait can I make this work with Cha? And digging into the Blackguard and that makes me want stupid hybrid cheese even more. Ugh.

4e had a lot more support for throwing. Loads of feats/features that obviated having to draw/retrieve weapons.

Warlord. They've got a bunch of ranged powers, would work fine with two weapons and they love a bit of Cha.

If you really want to make a Scout with throwing, be a human and take Throw and Stab as your extra at-will.

Ranger's still going to be your best bet though.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Grog wrote: »

4e had a lot more support for throwing. Loads of feats/features that obviated having to draw/retrieve weapons.

Warlord. They've got a bunch of ranged powers, would work fine with two weapons and they love a bit of Cha.

If you really want to make a Scout with throwing, be a human and take Throw and Stab as your extra at-will.

Party already has a warlord, needs a striker, doesn't need str (or dex tbh);

problem with just play a scout is daggers have crap damage and axes are heavy thrown, which means I need Str, and all other thrown weapons get no feature support and are therefore "bad" (except my other scout build rocks a quarterstaff don't @ me);

Apparently what I actually want is, like, a reverse hexblade or some dumb shit I dunno I'm so picky about stuff. A sorcerer would probably be fine but also I have this idea in my head and I can't make it mechanically viable and I think that's just making it latch on.

Tox on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    We've been waiting for safety to regroup for d&d but I think we're finally just caving and going zoom / some sort of digital thing.

So tell me, wise thread. What's your recommendation for a digital tabletop for d&ding

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Roll20 is a decent free solution. Kind of clunky, but does what you need. There's paid for solutions that I've not investigated.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Roll20 for free, Foundry if you wanna pay and don't mind hosting yourself.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I switched from roll20 to Foundry and it's a fantastic VTT tool

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Owlbear Rodeo is also free if you want a very simple vtt that doesn't have bells, whistles, or signups.

Also r/battlemaps on reddit has a ton of free maps if you need resources.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

problem with just play a scout is daggers have crap damage and axes are heavy thrown, which means I need Str, and all other thrown weapons get no feature support and are therefore "bad" (except my other scout build rocks a quarterstaff don't @ me);

Apparently what I actually want is, like, a reverse hexblade or some dumb shit I dunno I'm so picky about stuff. A sorcerer would probably be fine but also I have this idea in my head and I can't make it mechanically viable and I think that's just making it latch on.

Yeah, sadly scouts came out half baked on the damage front. A strength/dex based rogue could do it, plenty of their powers are both ranged and melee.

A ranger with proficiency in Drow Long Knife is probably your best bet though, they even have a subclass designed for it and aren’t restricted by offhand weapons. I had fun playing around with it on the Goliath Ranger I generated.

• Options
    My group just uses Discord with a dice bot installed, if you don't care about maps and stuff like that

• Options
    Scouts have bananas damage and daggers do, what, one or two less damage than other weapons?

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My group just uses Discord with a dice bot installed, if you don't care about maps and stuff like that

We started up during lockdown and also use discord. I bought an arm designed for a microphone and then strapped a webcam to it and stream the play area through discord when we do combat.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Scouts have bananas damage and daggers do, what, one or two less damage than other weapons?

The actual, specific issue is that there's already a drow artful dodger rogue in the party. So they don't need a melee light striker. They need a ranged striker. And "daggers do one or two less damage than other weapons" isn't entirely accurate when the Cha-casters are doing d8 and I could go spiked chain for 2d4.

Like, my actual, real Scout build (which is basically a take on a Jaffa from Stargate SG-1) is a quarterstaff wielding scout that uses the quarterstaff as a dual d8 reach weapon. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as good by comparison.

Also, again, we've already got "quick and light dagger wielding damage dealer" so I want to build something different.
    Kelor wrote: »

Yeah, sadly scouts came out half baked on the damage front. A strength/dex based rogue could do it, plenty of their powers are both ranged and melee.

A ranger with proficiency in Drow Long Knife is probably your best bet though, they even have a subclass designed for it and aren’t restricted by offhand weapons. I had fun playing around with it on the Goliath Ranger I generated.

I mean I think the scout is fine, I just wish they could do range as well as they do melee. Like, if instead of going "light blade" or "axe" they'd gone with "light thrown" and "heavy thrown" and build the class around being good at both melee and ranged (seriously just delete the word "melee" from their striker power and it's all fixed!) then I think they'd be a really interesting and versatile class.

Also Drow Long Knife is still heavy thrown. The only light thrown weapons are daggers, "basically daggers" (like the widow's knife from DSCG), and the short spear. Any other melee weapon that can be thrown is heavy thrown.

Which, like, I get it. Thrown weapons suck. That's why I like them, because they suck and I think that sucks and whatever. And I could do it with the short spear, but the spear's only real feat support leans towards charge kit (which isn't shocking and it's not really hard to avoid that trap).

I dunno I just have this idea in my head that's, like, really cool and "all" I gotta do to make it work is completely rewrite this one power lmao.

e: I really cannot put a fine enough point on the fact that I am acutely aware that I am being a whiny piss baby lol

Tox on
  • Options
    The groups will mix and match remember, so it’s not like it’s the end of the world to double up on classes.

I get the impression you’re actively trying to match the level of the group in terms of optimisation, not break things in half, so if you really want to do Scout and all it requires is Dual Weapon Attack be used on a ranged basic attack then lets see how it goes.

• Options
    I say go short spear, and then also tote around spears of every other size as well

Play a real spear connoisseur, the sort of person who knows the difference between a siege spear and a salad spear

• Options
    golf bag full of spears

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Anyone wanna help me brainstorm creepy underground hallucinations? Here's what I've got so far:
    - The tunnel walls appear to have a random assortment of fleshy eyes and mouths embedded in them. The mouths chant "dig...dig...dig...dig…"
    - Intestines are slurped up by a hole in the tunnel wall like a noodle.
    - Cracks appear in the ceiling, allowing writhing tentacles to emerge.
    - A panicked voice saying "I thought this was the way!"
    - A voice pleading "Take her, not me. Take her, not me. Take her, not --."
    - A giant hand on a rubbery, tubelike arm erupts from the ground and reaches, grasping.
    - A child is seemingly buried halfway in the floor, their kicking legs sticking out while muffled screams are heard from below. Suddenly, the hole turns into a mouth that bites the child in half, the legs falling to the ground, but still kicking. The legs quickly metamorphose into wriggling worms, both crowned with the face of a screaming child.
    - A statue of the viewer suddenly appears and begins to move for a few seconds before shattering as if struck by a hammer. The pieces of the shattered statue twitch, one piece of the face bearing a nose with flaring nostrils and a twitching eye.
    - A twitching drow slumped against the wall suddenly has swarms of spiderlings emerge from its eyes, ears, nostrils, and mouth. Larger spiders begin to burst from the torso.
    - A screaming humanoid suddenly falls from the ceiling at great speed, despite there being no hole for it to emerge from. In the blink of an eye it splatters on the floor, 4-foot long twitching spider legs unfurling from the rib cage and twitching wildly.
    - A hunched, humanoid figure turns around, revealing dozens of gemstones embedded in its body, the flesh seemingly stretched-out to accommodate them. It holds an eye in one hand as it tries jamming a ruby into its left eye socket. It tries to speak, but only gemstones emerge from its mouth, tumbling to the floor.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I say go short spear, and then also tote around spears of every other size as well

Play a real spear connoisseur, the sort of person who knows the difference between a siege spear and a salad spear

If I were going to actually play this character, I would play them as a bard (or warlord maybe) who is like, a professor of history specializing in weaponry.

Buffing their allies by giving lectures about obscure swordfighting manuals and different techniques they could use to get a little more oomph out of their attacks, debuffing their enemies by criticizing their form and just generally be obnoxious to be around. Carries a small armory worth of antique weapons and knows how to use them all technically, but hasn't actually practiced the techniques that they're always talking about.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    golf bag full of spears

Do you think your henchman will be more or less offended at being called a "caddy" instead?

• Options

If I were going to actually play this character, I would play them as a bard (or warlord maybe) who is like, a professor of history specializing in weaponry.

Buffing their allies by giving lectures about obscure swordfighting manuals and different techniques they could use to get a little more oomph out of their attacks, debuffing their enemies by criticizing their form and just generally be obnoxious to be around. Carries a small armory worth of antique weapons and knows how to use them all technically, but hasn't actually practiced the techniques that they're always talking about.

Int/Wis LazyLord, definitely no Charisma.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Yeah, and when a situation arises you spend some time looking at your spear collection going, "Hmmm, the guisarme would probably work, but I think a billhook is more appropriate for this. Or maybe a voulge? 🤔"

It's me, I'm that polearm guy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Anyone wanna help me brainstorm creepy underground hallucinations? Here's what I've got so far:
    - The tunnel walls appear to have a random assortment of fleshy eyes and mouths embedded in them. The mouths chant "dig...dig...dig...dig…"
    - A giant hand on a rubbery, tubelike arm erupts from the ground and reaches, grasping.
    - A child is seemingly buried halfway in the floor, their kicking legs sticking out while muffled screams are heard from below. Suddenly, the hole turns into a mouth that bites the child in half, the legs falling to the ground, but still kicking. The legs quickly metamorphose into wriggling worms, both crowned with the face of a screaming child.
    - A statue of the viewer suddenly appears and begins to move for a few seconds before shattering as if struck by a hammer. The pieces of the shattered statue twitch, one piece of the face bearing a nose with flaring nostrils and a twitching eye.
    - A twitching drow slumped against the wall suddenly has swarms of spiderlings emerge from its eyes, ears, nostrils, and mouth. Larger spiders begin to burst from the torso.
    - A screaming humanoid suddenly falls from the ceiling at great speed, despite there being no hole for it to emerge from. In the blink of an eye it splatters on the floor, 4-foot long twitching spider legs unfurling from the rib cage and twitching wildly.
    - A hunched, humanoid figure turns around, revealing dozens of gemstones embedded in its body, the flesh seemingly stretched-out to accommodate them. It holds an eye in one hand as it tries jamming a ruby into its left eye socket. It tries to speak, but only gemstones emerge from its mouth, tumbling to the floor.

Could do the half-buried child as not bitten in half, but is actually the tongue of a large creature being used as bait. Can still be wriggling worms on close inspection.

Label on
  • Options
    oh my goth I figured it out. Okay. Three characters just fell into place in my head.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

realistic faces and handprints bulging the rock, apparently screaming but making no sound, like they pressing out from inside the wall, like that horror movie ghost in the wall bit. A closer examination shows they are the faces of the party members.

A fleeing humanoid barely glimpsed in the darkness with a party member's face. If followed, leads to a dead end with no creature.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It feels like everything you've got so far is body horror stuff. Which, like, sure that's effective, but too much of any one thing can desensitize, or be too much, or both. Is there a reason why these hallucinations are occurring?

If it's just general cave madness or whatever, do some stuff a bit vague, like... shadows on the walls cast by the party's light sources growing into strange shapes or even a sort of tableau depicting some sort of monster combating the party's shadows.

Have parts of the underground echo strangely, where it sounds like their voice, but in a different language. Or it is echoing, until someone makes TOO loud a noise. Then suddenly the sounds are all dulled, no more echoing.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The sound of lapping water is heard just around the corner, like they're about to find an underground lake. There is a small drip puddle 2 chambers over that appears to be the source.

A tunnel seems to open endlessly, stepping into it would be like entering oblivion willingly.

A slight glint on the ground reveals bio-luminescence, which causes the entire chamber to bloom with underground life.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It feels like everything you've got so far is body horror stuff. Which, like, sure that's effective, but too much of any one thing can desensitize, or be too much, or both. Is there a reason why these hallucinations are occurring?

If it's just general cave madness or whatever, do some stuff a bit vague, like... shadows on the walls cast by the party's light sources growing into strange shapes or even a sort of tableau depicting some sort of monster combating the party's shadows.

Have parts of the underground echo strangely, where it sounds like their voice, but in a different language. Or it is echoing, until someone makes TOO loud a noise. Then suddenly the sounds are all dulled, no more echoing.

The specific reason I started brainstorming ideas was because I'm going to have some meenlocks show up, and their whole thing is to cause frightening hallucinations ranging from creepy to intense enough to trigger the frightened condition. I would like to incorporate some creepy atmosphere in general, though.

I just lookee back at my earlier post. I didn't realize just how much body horror stuff I wrote. Guess that'll happen when you're a fan of both Junji Ito and Franken Fran.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    If you've got access to the seeker class they are a controller/striker that you can build on throwing spears quite well.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Sleep wrote: »
    If you've got access to the seeker class they are a controller/striker that you can build on throwing spears quite well.

I've never heard anything good about Seekers, have you actually played one?

Tox on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Hexmage-PA how about a variation of http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-087?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    golf bag full of spears

Do you think your henchman will be more or less offended at being called a "caddy" instead?

Well now I'm just picturing Casey Jones but with a golf hat and the little coloured vest they wear.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I've never heard anything good about Seekers, have you actually played one?

Yeah can't remember the build I was pulling at the time but it's one of the only times I've had to rebuild a character cause I'd figured out some cheese that regularly put me at the top of the damage stack over the strikers. There's basically one awesome build in seeker but I can't remember it right now without a character builder in front of me.

This discussion has been closed.