As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Looking upon the outside walls of the buildings, Faber begins to make sense of the ancient marking. He recognizes the ancient symbols of Onatar, god of artifice and the forge, built into the columns and supports.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber gestures to the markings, illuminated by Pierce's blades.
    This seems to have been a holy place, dedicated to a god of the forge. If his power still holds here, we should be safe within for a time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gator nodded then ducked into the building, carefully checking for signs of traps.

OOC:
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Entering the building, Gator notices that the place has a quiet, serene feel about it.

Peering around the building, they discovers a partially buried font in the northwest corner. The clear liquid in the font is the equivalent of a common potion of cure wounds. There’s enough liquid for three doses of the healing potion.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Gator stuck their head out of the building. "Place seems safe. Magic font in the corner. Seems like it'll cure wounds? Probably don't get dirt in it, it's a bit buried." They thought a bit before continuing. "Do we want to stay here for a bit, or keep exploring and come back here if we need to?

"... actually, we should probably finish exploring the cavern first. Anybody need a break?"

jdarksun on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Zed nods toward the larger cavern chamber. "Probably makes more sense at this point to at least see how big this chamber is, then take a breather before we press on"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    So you folks are going to continue onward? Scouting out the full scope of the Tower?

• Options
    (OOC)
    I think we're figuring to explore the rest of this chamber/map, then take a short rest? Or do we want to go ahead and rest now since we're here?
    (/OOC)

@Cello @Sneaks @Centipede Damascus

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Owenn passed the lantern off to Zed, then approached the structure Gator had just checked out. “I could do for a short break,” he said, using a bit of water to rinse out the flask he’d just emptied. “But if we don’t want to do that…” The halfling dipped the clean flask into the healing font. “…I’ll make it work.”

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "I'm fresh as daisies" John says "I'm up for keeping on moving if anyone else is."

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    "I am fully prepared for further acts of heroism, but should we require some time to regroup, I would of course allow it!"

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    "We've found a safe haven, for the moment. We should take advantage of it while it's available. We have no idea when we might find another such in the rooms ahead.
    It's foolish in the extreme to force ourselves to greater exertion if we can avoid doing so. I've taken considerable damage, had I been built less and others of our party have likewise been wounded. I vote for resting here."
    Faber raises a hand to forestall the coming arguments.
    "We can 'forget' to mention this part when recounting our adventures for the storytellers in the taverns."

see317 on
  • Options
    Standing just north of the entrance to the room, Zed casts the lantern around, trying to get a better idea of the size of the chamber.
    Suddenly a quiet, bubbling growl fills the immediately area.
    Sheathing his axe then rubbing his stomach, Zed nods to Faber, "Perhaps a brief respite to bandage wounds and take some food is in order."

• Options
    OOC: so, short rest and then move on?

Steam
  • Options
    As you all seem to be in agreement, you take a short break within the damaged building.

Some of you take the time to lick your wounds, while others clean their blades.

A few even manage to get a minute or two of actual sleep before being waking back up.

• Options
    OOC: Spending my hit die during the rest.

Geth roll 1d8

1d8 6 [1d8=6]

• Options
    Standing up with a freshly polished and bug-goop-free blade, Pierce sheathes it in one smooth motion, before gesturing to her companions and saying, "Well now, that seems long enough! Shall we venture on?"

Steam
  • Options
    OOC: I can't recall how low I am on HP, so I'll roll a HD.

Geth, roll 1d10

1d10 8 [1d10=8]

• Options
    Gator nodded at Pierce. "Yeah, let's go check out those columns to the ... North?" The shifter shrugged, and pointed. "That way."

OOC: Gator will head on ahead, keeping an eye open and trying to stay stealthy.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

Perception:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Stealth:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

• Options
    Faber takes a short rest to recover damage. He passes an oil flask to refill the lantern and then fills the empty flask from the healing font in the corner of the room if there's enough left for another collection.

Geth roll 1d8+3 for restual healing.

restual healing:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Refreshed from a few bites to eat, Zed drops the hood on the lantern to give Gator more cover to work with before heading back into the larger chamber, stopping about 15ft northeast of the door to the smaller room and waiting for any sign of more danger or intrigue.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Exploring a bit more, none of you are assaulted by any more Horrid Rats or Beetle Swarms. It's a relatively easy time scouting the rest of the Tower, eventually coming upon a building (area #5 as shown in the map below). It seems fully in tact, with sturdy/solid walls all the way around. It has no windows or clearly visible entry point. On the western side of the building is a hefty double door. It's dusty but seems to have faint claw mark against it.

The same icon as on the cover of Bonal’s journal spans both sides of the double door.

04Lnfjk.png

Zonugal on
  • Options
    "How'd we open that other door with this symbol? Did we put the book against it or something?" Gator tried to line the book up with the door, to see if that would make it open.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "How'd we open that other door with this symbol? Did we put the book against it or something?" Gator tried to line the book up with the door, to see if that would make it open.

Unlike previous attempts on this adventure, the book doesn't appear to unlock the doors.

• Options
    There was a light thunk as Gator pressed the book to the door. Then, a moment of silence that lasted a little too long as the group waited for nothing to happen.

“Maybe a more conventional approach is required here,” Owenn suggested, approaching the door and examining it for locks to pick. He put down his bag and dug out his thieves’ tools. “May need a boost,” he said to Gator.

OOC: If there are locks on these doors, how high off the ground are they? On a related note, how tall are the doors themselves, and the building?

In the interests of time, I’ll roll a check now to be used in the event that Owenn finds mundane looking locks on the door:

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Lockpicking

Lockpicking:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]

• Options
    There is a lock upon the door, it looks impeccably strong.

Owenn tries his hand at unlocking it, but the master artificers of old were quite insistent on nobody getting in.

As for the building though? The walls & doors are 20 feet tall.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    “Damn,” Owenn muttered, hopping down from Gator. “Building doesn’t reach all the way to the… OOC: Wait, what’s actually over our heads? A cavern ceiling? Sewer pipes? Masonry? canopy, though.” Owenn gesticulated vaguely overhead as the right word escaped him. “Someone… not prone to climbing accidents may have some luck on the roof.”

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Gator looked up the face of the wall, considering what it'd take to climb. "It's a puzzle, right? Surely there are some clues on how to solve this."

OOC: Gator will wrack their brains, trying to think of clues from the building, the book, and the general context of House Cannith. ( @Sneaks does Owenn want to assist? )

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Investigation

Investigation:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

• Options
    Faber see's Gator's eyes glaze as he surveys the wall of the building in front of him. Digging in his bag for the map to see what, if any information it may provide towards the potential puzzle, he starts to step forward as Gator's eyes suddenly focus on a point of interest, it's clear he has analyzed and recognized something about the environment, even without further assistance.

Faber quietly returns the map to his holding pouch.

• Options
    While Gator can't quite ascertain any direct puzzle or riddle at play here, the Shifter does reflect on a past of getting into, around, and out of buildings.

A proper inspection of the building, from all possible vantage points, may invite an answer towards you.

• Options
    "Hey John or Pierce," Gator asked quietly. "Do you think you can climb up on top of the building?" The shifter started walking the perimeter. "Everybody else, walk around the outside, see if anything sticks out to you."

OOC: Examine the exterior of the building.

Perception:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

• Options
    Inspecting the building, Gator doesn't draw too many facts away...

... Except that the double doors & lock both appear to be adamantine.

• Options
    Faber paces around the building a few times, looking for any weakness or passageway that might provide a hint as to how to access.
    But, coming up with nothing new that Gator hasn't already seen, Faber points to the path north, opposite the entrance they came in through.
    "Perhaps we should move on? It's possible that we'll find a key to this chamber deeper in the tower... That path looks the best kept."

• Options
    OOC: If nobody else is gonna climb to the roof, Gator is gonna give it a shot.

• Options
    OOC: If you want assistance, Faber's happy to lend a hand while you climb. But, climbing is not Faber's strong suit.

• Options
    Climbing up the building will just be a Strength (Athletics) check.

• Options
    OoC: Sorry I haven't responded for a bit!

John looks up at the stone wall in front of them.

"Sure, why not. I'll give it a go."

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]

• Options
    John quickly launches himself off the shoulders of Faber and is on the roof of the building in no time.

Looking upon the top of the building, John notices a gaping hole atop the structure leading into the building.

A secondary mouth into the belly of an artificial beast, so to speak.

• Options
    "Oi! There's a hole in the roof!" John yells down to the rest of the party.

OoC: Can I roll Perception to see what there is to see through the hole?

• Options
    OoC: Can I roll Perception to see what there is to see through the hole?

Yep!