As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: Can Pierce prepare (valiantly) to catch anyone about to fall?

Sure, Pierce (and anyone else attempting to do so) will need to be able to see their surroundings and also see Owenn, or you'll get disadvantage on the roll.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce takes on a strong (yet valiant) stance to prepare in case Owenn drops to the ground.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    We'll have to save the rolling till Sneaks decides what they want Owenn to do.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    OoC: I think John would be in a good position to attempt to help Owenn, but I'm open to other ideas.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber pulls an additional length of rope out of his pack and lowers it to where it sounds like Owenn is clinging to the pipe.
    To make the rope easier to see and illuminate the the tunnel, he'll cast light on it before lowering it to Owenn.

"I figure between this noise, anything that'll be tipped off by light already knows we're here..."

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Owenn grunted as he adjusted his grip. “Okay… Okay. Faber! In a second I’m gonna grab that rope!” He braced his feet against the wall so that he could look down between his legs at the illuminated rope. “Rope doesn’t quite reach the bottom! Someone down there’ll have to catch me when I drop the last… dozen… ish feet!” He took a deep breath, tried not to think about the pain in his hands. “To the catcher: first of all, thank you. Second of all, I will let you know I’m coming off the rope in one of two ways: either I’ll tell you… or I’ll start screaming again. Okay, here we go.”

OOC: John carrying Owenn down is probably less mechanically risky, but Faber already lowered the rope, I don’t think Owenn can see John, and having someone catch him just seems fun, anyway.

Geth roll 1d20-1 for Athletics

EDIT: Perfect. Dead. I had fun. :P

Athletics:
    1d20-1 0 [1d20=1]

Sneaks on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    (OOC) *coughHalfingLUCKYracialAbilitycough* (/OOC)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    OOC:
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Lucky Version of Atheltics, Which I Totally Remembered Without Help From @Tox

Lucky Version of Atheltics, Which I Totally Remembered Without Help From:
    1d20-1 8 [1d20=9]

Sneaks on
  • Options
    So, who is catching the falling Halfling?

• Options
    Can I use Lucky to reroll that bad catch attempt earlier?

Steam
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "Pierce, help!" Gator dropped everything they were holding, and attempted to catch the falling halfling.

OOC:
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Athletics to catch Owenn

Athletics to catch Owenn:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Can I use Lucky to reroll that bad catch attempt earlier?
    Zonugal wrote: »
    We'll have to save the rolling till Sneaks decides what they want Owenn to do.

@Cello, you can roll a Strength (Athletics) check to catch the falling Halfling.

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for desperation

desperation:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

Steam
  • Options
    Pierce catches the falling Halfling with ease.

• Options
    Owenn had shut his eyes on the way down, very much expecting not to open them again. When consciousness—mysteriously—opted to hang around a bit, he opened his eyes to find himself in Pierce’s arms. “My hero,” he said with significantly less irony than usual.

• Options
    Gently placing Owenn on the ground, Pierce straightens back up, slightly puffing out her chest as she says "All in a day's work, dear Owenn!"

She then turns her gaze upwards, preparing herself to perform even more acts of heroism if required.

Steam
  • Options
    OoC:After an interception like that, isn't it traditional to spike the halfling?

• Options
    Gator walks away, muttering something about "climbing harnesses for everyone" under their breath. After surreptitiously scrubbing their eyes, Gator looks around for signs that anything heard the crew's less than stealthy descent.

OOC:
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]

• Options
    Gator doesn't pick anything up.

• Options
    Zed nudges Faber "After you."

• Options
    Faber shrugs. "Figured I'd wait till last to watch our backs, but if you insist.

Faber carefully descends the rope path.

OoC: Let me know if you want another roll, or if we can use the earlier one.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    OoC: So I already rolled Athletics for John descending the main rope, he's on the lower level now, yes?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC: Let me know if you want another roll, or if we can use the earlier one.

Your earlier roll works fine.

• Options
    OoC: So I already rolled Athletics for John descending the main rope, he's on the lower level now, yes?

Correct, yes.

By the John gets to the floor of the tunnel, Faber will be about 15 ft down (out of 60 ft).

• Options
    I think its safe to say that John safely reaches the floor of the tunnel, followed by Faber as well.

I believe that leaves only Zed.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Geth roll 2#1d20+3 for Strength (Athletics) with Advantage

e: since he doesn't need the kit for Advantage, Zed will collect and repack the Climbing kit on his way down

Strength (Athletics) with Advantage:
    2#1d20+3 2 # 17 [1d20=14] 11 [1d20=8]

Tox on
  • Options
    Zed climbs down the tunnel with ease.

• Options
    The long descent takes you deeper into the bowels of Dorasharn Tower. Soon, the shaft begins to angle, and by bracing yourself you can actually walk along one of the surfaces. Farther still, and the shaft becomes a tunnel, and the footing is no longer difficult to maintain or treacherous. The tunnel eventually opens onto a vast chamber, though it emerges about six feet above the floor. You can’t see the distant walls in the darkness, and the ruins of nearby walls and building appear as deep shadows in the eternal tower night, but you can feel the change in air currents and pressure that indicate a large open space ahead of you.

QxUZWvr.png

You folks are south of the area marked with an "A".

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Waving his torch around enough to establish the room is ... much bigger than he can see, Zed nods to Gator and John, then turns to see if he can find a good spot to lodge a torch in the wall.

"Might be a good spot to establish a base camp. Can we see how big a space we're dealing with here?"

Tox on
  • Options
    "I'd need to scout around to be sure," Gator replied, shielding their eyes from the light. "Seems pretty open. Be right back." The shifter nocked an arrow and loped off into the darkness.

OOC: Gator will attempt to stealthily exploring the area in concentric rings, so I think I'll bump into "1" first.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

Stealth:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Perception:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

• Options
    edited July 2020
    As Gator scouts ahead into the wide open ruins of Dorasharn Tower, a constant background noise rises from walls and ruins around him. It takes the Shifter a moment to recognize, but eventually the sounds of chittering and buzzing can be picked out from among the cacophony. It’s not unlike the sound of insects in the King’s Forest, except that the chamber seems to amplify and echo the noise in disturbing ways.

A dark carpet slides across the dusty floor and begins to move towards you. No, not a carpet, but a mass of squirming, chittering, shiny black beetles that swarm toward you with hungry purpose.

Makes+me+think+of+the+scarabs+from+the+mummy+_a9411b77841aad8d967b3fbb03762da1.gif

COMBAT BEGINS!!!

WBK0F3o.png

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Faber will collect the illuminated rope he had tried to use to save Owenn, and wrap it around himself, looping it over one shoulder across his chest to minimize how much it can interfere with mobility while providing light to the immediate area.
    It sounds like light and mobility are going to be the order of the day.

Battle Command
    Initiative at +0
    Cast Blessing of the Forge on my chainmail, giving it a +1 to AC until our next long rest.
    Advance towards the Scarab Swarm and Gator, mace and shield at the ready.
    If I'm able to reach the swarm, attack with mace (+4 to hit, 1d6+2)

Edit: because I remembered I'm a smashy cleric, not a blasty cleric.

see317 on
  • Options
    "Not the biggest fan of bugs..." Gator muttered as they hastened back to the group. "Big swarm of beetles heading our way, if you hadn't noticed."

OOC: Gator will try to remember the best way to fight insect swarms.
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Nature

Combat: Retreat behind one of the tanks. Fire arrows at the swarm.

Nature:
    1d20+1 13 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Battle Command: Pierce gazes at the swarm, shrugs, and then takes out her rapier, intent to slash as many bugs as possible.

1d20+5 to hit, 1d8+3 piercing damage.

Steam
  • Options
    Battle Command: Zed will move straight forward his full 30ft move and take the Dodge action, waiting to see if anything else pops up

• Options
    edited July 2020
    (OOC) would it be possible to do a "fog of war" overlay for whatever lighting we have? I'd meant for Zed to plant a torch in the north-facing wall south of where Gator is, before he triggered the bugs, but otherwise a light where Zed started would at least be some help, and we can set more if need be (/OOC)

Tox on
  • Options
    Battle Command: Doubting the efficacy of stabbing each bug individually, Owenn gets out and lights a torch, then cautiously advances to be 10 feet behind Gator.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    (OOC) would it be possible to do a "fog of war" overlay for whatever lighting we have? I'd meant for Zed to plant a torch in the north-facing wall south of where Gator is, before he triggered the bugs, but otherwise a light where Zed started would at least be some help, and we can set more if need be (/OOC)

Sure, let me see if I can't work something up.

So, this applies to everyone without darkvision.

Which, I think leaves Gator & John as totally fine! They can see everthing perfectly well.

W6ZrFVg.png

* The three boxes as identified with the gold lines are the areas of dim light (as given off by Zed's torch).
    * The tiny gold dot near Zed is his torch planted into the wall.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Ruins of Dorasharn Tower Combat Round #1

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Gator (+3) [13]
    #2. -- Zed (+2) [12]
    #3. -- Scarabs (+1) [12]
    #4. -- Pierce (+3) [11]
    #5. -- Owenn (+3) [10]
    #6. -- John (+3) [6]
    #7. -- Faber (+0) [1]

"THIS TOWER IS BUGGIN' ME"

Upon hearing, and then seeing, the swarm of black scarab beetles making its way towards him, Gator recalled that physical attacks towards swarms of insects are rather ineffective. But as Gator is a Shifter of physical-means, he retreats back to the opening to the ruins. Retrieving his bow and arrow, he fires an arrow towards the mass of ebony bugs (4 dmg).

Zed moves forward, remaining light on his draconic feet as to evade any sudden attack that may come his way.

The swarm of scarabs moves in a direct line straight towards his next meal. It scuttles with haste, arriving right at the opening of the ruins.

Now adjacent to the bugs, Pierce brandishes her rapier and makes a steel whirlwind at the swarm (5 dmg).

Owenn lights a torch and moves up closer, providing needed illumination to the battlefield.

John stood in a sudden panic. Scarabs... Why did it have to be scarabs...

Faber chants a quick hymn and the Warforged cleric's armor suddenly glows for a moment before taking on a shinier exterior. The living construct then pushes forward and swings a mace at the bugs (2 dmg).

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT

3gIBHEn.png

Zonugal on