As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Emergency Broadcasting [Chat]

1919293949597»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i like how you can't actually uninstall skype even if you manually uninstall it unless you just don't want to run windows updates ever again

that's a great feature

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Tav wrote: »
    when i worked at the law firm, we got a lot of documents that were supposed to be pdfs but were docxs and that sort of thing

we just got in the habit of opening every corrupted file with a text editor and having a poke around before going back to clients

I think that's why they try hiding file extensions, to stem the tide of people who would try to convert a file to pdf by doing this

undeserved protection, I think, their shame should be seen

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can only protect end users from themselves so much

Sure, but a single setting you can toggle on and off seems like the best solution I can think of. The burden of altering one easily findable flag precisely once per install isn't an onerous one.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Sure, but a single setting you can toggle on and off seems like the best solution I can think of. The burden of altering one easily findable flag precisely once per install isn't an onerous one.

easily findable is maybe overstating the user friendliness of windows settings a bit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    mildly related, is there a way to disable the windows key without 3rd party software?

i haven't checked in a while since the option was removed from keyboard settings years ago but i don't believe i have ever hit the windows key on purpose outside of screen locking which i don't ever do on my home computer

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

easily findable is maybe overstating the user friendliness of windows settings a bit

"easy only once you know where to look" is like the microsoft UI oeuvre

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    We're moving from Skype to Teams and Teams isn't integrated with our Outlook so I'm still at a loss as to why

skype is EOL and is being phased out in the next year

Then why not hurry up and integrate Teams into Outlook

• Options
    god I hate skype so much

my last laptop wasn't exactly stable at the end there but nothing was worse than skype

nevermind that it kept crashing, when it crashed so did half of everything else

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

they are also very fond of moving it or putting new layers of nonsense on top of the old, just because why not have us find out where to look anew

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

It's all intuitive once you've taken the time to learn it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    mildly related, is there a way to disable the windows key without 3rd party software?

i haven't checked in a while since the option was removed from keyboard settings years ago but i don't believe i have ever hit the windows key on purpose outside of screen locking which i don't ever do on my home computer

Is your home comp on Home or Pro?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's not even a buried setting any more.

It's in the view tab on any explorer window

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited June 2020

latest windows I've used it much more than before

because at some point, either through me accidentally hitting it or just because, it's switched keyboards from norwegian to english, and I'm wondering why the fuck all the keys are wrong before I remember and hit windows+space

about four-five times a day

and I've given up finding out why it insists I should have two input methods to switch between; at no point did I tell it I had any other keyboard than the one I did.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

home

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Aioua wrote: »
    It's not even a buried setting any more.

It's in the view tab on any explorer window

honestly I've never even noticed there was a view tab on any explorer window until you mentioned it now, or I've forgotten

how long has that been there

useful if my right click stops working, I guess?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I can't think of a single microsoft UI change where I wasn't like stop changing it! it sucked before, and I learned your bullshit, and the new way also sucks, so fuck off

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

home

Think for Home it'd be a registry hack

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    We're moving from Skype to Teams and Teams isn't integrated with our Outlook so I'm still at a loss as to why

skype is EOL and is being phased out in the next year

Then why not hurry up and integrate Teams into Outlook

yeah that's dumb, no reason not to

we were looking at teams last month (a lot of our clients have blocked their reps using zoom and we needed an alternative) but you need to have an exchange server and shit set up for it and honestly seemed like more hassle than it's worth for us

• Options
    home not having access to Group Policy is some bullshit I tell yas

• Options
    O365 Cloud really isn't much harder to manage than GSuite these days

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

I just typed file extension into the search box on the taskbar and it's the first result! I know this wasn't always so easily findable but it's fine now.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I use Window+X to get to the task manager now instead of Ctrl-Alt-Del

there are some other fun things in the Win+X menu too

And I lock my screen at home because otherwise my cat gets on my desk and types incomprehensible messages to people (and also inadvertently hits weird combinations of hotkeys that are a fun adventure to reverse engineer when I return to my computer and it's unusable).

I don't have anything useful to help you with disabling the Windows key, Chanus, I just wanted everyone to know these things about me.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

no but also it would be effort and cost for minor benefit especially when google meet is free atm

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

My company moved us to Gsuite and I loathe it.

Slides and Sheets are just straight up inferior to Powerpoint and Excel.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    ctrl-shift-esc goes directly to the TM.
    I use win+E every day for the explorer, and stuff like
    win key + <name> to launch discord

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Win+X is the best shortcut

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    ctrl-shift-esc goes directly to the TM.
    I use win+E every day for the explorer, and stuff like
    win key + <name> to launch discord

Huh, I never knew this!

Now to keep forgetting it every time I want the task manager...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I guess that's why the Chrome task manager is Shift+Esc

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    i just right click the taskbar and select task manager if i want it

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    i just right click the taskbar and select task manager if i want it

Holy shit

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Chanus Sharpkeys is a program that handles the registry fuckery required for permanent key remapping:
    https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 1

@RMS Oceanic will create the new thread
    @Tav is backup

This discussion has been closed.