As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    It'll have cross play right? So the assets will be there but unavailable for Xbox players too. Kind of a dick move.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It'll have cross play right? So the assets will be there but unavailable for Xbox players too. Kind of a dick move.

They haven't said so yet, it's because Sony only grants it on a game-by-game basis.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm less concerned about Spider-Man not being available on all platforms and more about whether they can (or even if they are trying) make it more like MUA1 was. And frankly, even just skimming the MCU already makes me not want to care.

I mean, I'll probably buy a PlayStation to play the Spider-Man game because it looks fun. (I'm not particularly a fan of the character.) Being console-exclusive isn't a deal breaker for me.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Those are all reasonable points. It's easy for someone in my position, who actually a decent amount if Marvel Ultimate Alliance and its sequel back on Xbox 360, but has been affected by the inescapable Disney/MCU product cycle over the last decade+ in such a way that it is tremendously hard to give a shit about the Avengers on top of the game's primary notoriety being "Why do Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans and all these other people look so weird in this game?"

These sort of franchise-synergy titles, as Avengers very clearly is, are inherently complicated IPs to manage and subject to a lot of whims. We all lived through the dark days of the Spiderman third fucking film franchise spat between Sony and Disney. Though for some of us, it was "Who gives a shit? You already got two separate film franchises and an animated movie and everything else!" rather than a point of high concern. So we're seeing a more muted form of that for this multiplatform game.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that Spiderman, the Insomniac game staring that reporter dude and the other due who's not a reporter, are Playstation exclusives, because by and large Spiderman is a Sony-owned franchise that I assumed they purchase to churn out a bunch of films that bled the movie division dry and to use the font on the Playstation 3 launch console. It won't be on Xbox, it won't be on Switch (a PC release wouldn't surprise me though). Seems fair. That's easy for me to say since, having actually played the game, I don't actually like playing it and can enjoy the best aspect, the visual fidelity, online--I'm like one of those people who says "I don't care about Gears of War" despite it being the overall best third-person shooter franchise and one of the best looking games ever made. It's little solace to the people who actually do like the game.

However, with Avengers, it's too peripheral to have much sympathy. The game doesn't look good. Until I'm proven completely wrong (which may happen), I'm going to keep assuming it isn't, and the very nature of the project as I understand it isn't going to be saved by Spiderman. He's an attractive bonus for buying the game on a Sony platform, the way dungeons #208 in Destiny 2 was an attractive bonus for buying it on Sony's hardware as well (but, notably, not bound to expire I presume). He's not going to fix the game if it's a bad game.

It is brutish in a certain way, but--and this is the apathy talking at least a little--I do find it hard to fault Sony for doing it. They're not in a conciliatory mood when it comes to inescapable Marvel franchise market synergy, and they've money-hatted in much less subtle ways than this, considering they've owned the Spiderman video game rights for ages. I'm sure I'd feel differently if Sony had somehow bought the rights to Virtua Fighter and kept those guest characters out of Dead or Alive 5's release on Xbox (I'd be fucking livid about Sony buying Virtua Fighter to start). I keep saying this in the most boring way possible, but we're years separated from the end of console exclusivity for storied and less-storied franchises. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are now multiplatform. So is Yakuza. So are Dead or Alive an Tekken. And Metal Gear Solid. More than a dozen major franchises that, ten years ago, were practically inseparable from Sony are anything but (the VII remake being a notable exception). Sony's response, fittingly, has been to invest in new properties--but I can understand why they'd grasp at any opportunity to buck the trend when possible. It's a reason why the PS4 has been so successful throughout the whole generation.

• Options
    To be clear, I don't think Sony has an an exclusive deal for Spider-Man the character, just the games Insomniac is making because they happen to own them now. If the Spider-Man game had happened before the Sony buyout, it would likely have been multiplatform. I think Sony may have even seen the game in early concept and then decided to scoop Insomniac because of it.

Spidey is free to appear in other games, and probably Marvel could subcontract another game development house to make a different Spider-human game, but they have no need to. It just seemed like a right place, right time for all parties involved, and I love Spidey PS4. I don't begrudge that game for being an exclusive. It's this vertical slicing of other games with exclusive content that bugs me, especially when it's maybe the most delicious slice to someone like me, just very flagrantly a business move and a pretty anti-consumer one at that. Just my hot takes

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, I really don't know exactly how the terms work either, and I'm really content just to say "Spiderman? Video game? Playstation I assume, whatever," and let it rest to that. If I actually gave a shit about Spiderman I'm sure I'd feel different, or if I actually gave a shit about Avengers I'd probably be grinding my teeth about Sony potentially hurting a game with a less-than-stellar development cycle thusfar in the name of strengthening their position on it.

I can give a easy example of me giving a shit: Sony basically killed off the King of Fighters XIV arcade scene so they could release it, not-quite-finished, on their console and keep it there for years. Now the arcade scene is dominated by KOF XIII (which is a better game), and arcades in countries that still operate them (which, incidentally, is basically all the places where KOF is most popular) skipped a now-more-polished KOF XIV, because Sony paid a lot of money to SNK-Playmore. Oh well. They, like Insomniac, probably needed the money.

This sort of business-jockeying happens. Remember when Sony was touting Hellblade as a brilliant, gorgeous indie darling exploring an uncommon setting (Norse Viking something) and uncommon themes (mental illness in Norse Viking something)? That you could only play on Playstation 4 (and PC, of course, just like NMS)? I do too. Then Xbox decided it was something they liked and scooped it up. I have no idea if Hellblade II is going to justify that (though considering actually small and, let's face it, shallow Hellblade is as an actual video game and not a spooky narrative demo about psychological trauma and injury, it's really not hard to picture how to turn it into something you don't breeze through in a couple hours and never return to). Considering how hot Sony was on Ninja Theory (everyone's favorite version of Dante in Sony Smash Brothers!), it wasn't something I expected certainly.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Counterpoint: other than mouse/keyboard, gyro aiming with a stick is 100% the best way to aim in a shooter. It gives the same direct aiming that a mouse does, much more precise than just a stick. You get sweeping aim and movement with a stick, and then precise adjustments and quick snaps with the gyro.
    I do wish the xsx controller had gyro too.

Yeah, this. I'm not talking motion waggle bullshit. Analog sticks are hugely inferior aiming devices and gyro actually gets you somewhere in the ballpark.. or at least the outfield, of mouse accuracy, leaving the right stick for big/fast camera pans. Especially if we can get more of those FPS games to 60 hz.

PS4 games have been slow to support this use, its only been forced onto the Switch due to joy-con crappiness, but it vastly improves even full fledged controllers, and lets us leave behind the kind of absurd aim assist that you see in Halo. I always abuse gyro for aiming on Steam with the TV screen when its possible to configure correctly, which can be tough because you usually have to map gyro to mouse while using controller inputs for other things.

As for HD rumble. I don't think Nintendo ever wanted a rumble that shook your screen as it would have to on the lite. Part of the joy-cons doing their thing in the full switch is that they have room to wiggle while attached to the tablet. Part of that also has to be the subtler motions you get out of haptic rather than the kick of traditional rotating rumble pushing against the tablet. The experience is really great in the handful of first party titles that use it correctly, and I'm sure Sony will push that in their own as well. 3rd party devs haven't had reason to care because its a feature for just one platform, but maybe they would begin to notice if all the platforms offered it.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    To be clear, I don't think Sony has an an exclusive deal for Spider-Man the character, just the games Insomniac is making because they happen to own them now. If the Spider-Man game had happened before the Sony buyout, it would likely have been multiplatform. I think Sony may have even seen the game in early concept and then decided to scoop Insomniac because of it.

You're misremembering the timeline.

September 7, 2018 - Spider-Man (2018) Released
    August 19, 2019 - Sony buys Insomniac

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Its nice that Microsoft is being all mananigmous with crossgen controllers but I think they are *very* far behind the curve with not even supporting gyro. That shit needs to become the standard for all games where you have to aim anything. It would also be nice if they got on the haptic feedback bandwagon with Sony and Nintendo, but it could be that doing anything actually good with the tech requires customization for each controller's physical layout which 3rd parties cannot be arsed to do.

I actually think gyroscope motion sensing is terrible and needs to die the way most motion sensing gameplay mechanics died outside of very specific implementations (like VR--and even then, it's optional), and am relieved by the failure for it to become anyway "standardized" across platforms over the last 15 years of trying by multiple companies, the way it took more than a decade for gamepad layouts to become generally standardized.

But that's only my opinion. "HD Rumble" on the Switch is dying an ignominious death after the general lack of support from a lot of developers (completely unsurprising) and its total removal from the Switch's first major revision (not as unsurprising), and while the Xbox 360 and One gamepads literally pioneered player force feedback in a gamepad, further improvements to haptic feedback are something I'll welcome with future controller revisions, but not a thing that keeps me up at night (we'll have to see if it's supported any better on the Dualshock 5 than the touchpad, which Sony also described as "fundamentally game changing" on the Dualshock 4, was).

Back on the Playstation 3, Sony openly suggested that any kind of controller force feedback was widely obsolete (and did not seriously pursue it for the majority of the PS4's lifetime either). They turned out to be wrong, but all the same, there's a lot of wiggle room for developers here to decide whether or not they actually want to take advantage of this technology (to use the example of the PS4, motion controls with the DS4's tracking light actively made games less enjoyable every time I used them, but your mileage will vary).
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    lol no not really. they lost their patent and weren't allowed to put rumble in the original sixaxis, as soon as they were able to a yearish later they immediately put out the dualshock 3 and got rid of the sixaxis controller. everything they "said" around launch of the ps3 was just a bullshit line since they couldn't have rumble

So in other words, they did say it. It's fine to take companies at their words and call them out on it, we do it all the time with Microsoft in this thread. :lol:

lol sure except it was a bullshit excuse that even at the time everybody knew they weren't serious about. don't be obtuse on purpose :p

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    lol no not really. they lost their patent and weren't allowed to put rumble in the original sixaxis, as soon as they were able to a yearish later they immediately put out the dualshock 3 and got rid of the sixaxis controller. everything they "said" around launch of the ps3 was just a bullshit line since they couldn't have rumble

So in other words, they did say it. It's fine to take companies at their words and call them out on it, we do it all the time with Microsoft in this thread. :lol:

lol sure except it was a bullshit excuse that even at the time everybody knew they weren't serious about. don't be obtuse on purpose :p

Where do you even think you are? :P

General notice going out from Microsoft (seems it it was sent out via email and XBL message too): the free preview of Project xCloud will be ending 11 September, moving forward to the formal paid service. It's already been brought up how it's being packaged with Xbox Game Pass, but it's worth noting for anyone who's bee on the preview but doesn't have Game Pass.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    boggles my mind they never did any sort of PC xCloud beta

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If I've been sitting on a year live gold card for...I dunno, lets say a few years (do they expire?), is there any chance it would become whatever this new bundled service they're planning, would be, if I just held onto it until the XSX came out?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I hadn't even considered it until today, and I frequently forget I even have the code, but I'm intending on getting a series X when it releases to be able to put away my 360 and xb1 entirely. Hell, I could probably put away the 360 already, but I haven't really gone through my game list and determined which is BC or not.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    boggles my mind they never did any sort of PC xCloud beta

It's a classic case of "they are dragging their feet". Console to PC streaming already exists, and has for years, but they announced that, until the PC "app" formally went into service (probably not a website, probably exclusive to Windows 10)....you can "just stream from your phone to your PC or other display." In fact, this is actually an option for survey feedback for xCloud. "Oh yeah, we're working on it, but in the meantime just do this." Classic beta behavior I guess?
    If I've been sitting on a year live gold card for...I dunno, lets say a few years (do they expire?), is there any chance it would become whatever this new bundled service they're planning, would be, if I just held onto it until the XSX came out?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I hadn't even considered it until today, and I frequently forget I even have the code, but I'm intending on getting a series X when it releases to be able to put away my 360 and xb1 entirely. Hell, I could probably put away the 360 already, but I haven't really gone through my game list and determined which is BC or not.

It's not a stupid question. Answer: no, they're not supposed to expire, unless they belong to a promotional event whose expiration was announced with the award (which it doesn't sound like it).

From a technical standpoint, they may, in fact, expire. I've bought a year of Xbox Live and sat on it for more than a year (I literally put it underneath my console and set a reminder in Outlook to check in a year, when I could actually activate it because I hit the subscription length limit for Xbox Live Gold) before activating it. Before that, I actually called Xbox support and asked them why I couldn't activate it yet. If you're worried, it is a hassle but I would contact Microsoft at some point and explain what happened, how you purchased it, and I suspect they'd honor it even if it didn't work.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    xCloud is a weird one cause its still not a full roll out. seems more like a soft launch. 22 countries, still only on Android. i'm sure we'll see it expand beyond that in time but seems like their taking a more incremental approach with it as opposed to Goolge going hard on a half arsed launch.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    xCloud is a weird one cause its still not a full roll out. seems more like a soft launch. 22 countries, still only on Android. i'm sure we'll see it expand beyond that in time but seems like their taking a more incremental approach with it as opposed to Goolge going hard on a half arsed launch.

Also, they're tired of (nominally) giving it away for free.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm kinda torn on the Avengers game because I'd like to see Crystal Dynamics succeed - this is the project that Square Enix explicitly pulled them away from the Tomb Raider franchise in order to develop after Rise of the Tomb Raider many, many moons ago and I don't think they've made anything else since then but this game. It looks fine enough and looks like it plays alright, but it really feels like an entire era of both live-service games and Marvel cinema has come and gone in between the time they started working on it and the time it's coming out and they're striking while the iron is lukewarm at best.

They also really soured me on their very first E3 presentation when they spent half of it trying to explain to viewers what the concept of a fucking Avenger was in the year 2019, as if they had so little to show for it that they rolled out footage of Nolan North, Troy Baker and Laura Bailey like the mythos was somehow a novel idea

• Options
    a few titles being added to Game Pass over the week, most of them on both console and PC.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I find both Darksiders Genesis and Man of Medan exciting for multiplayer reasons.

• Options
    Time to ruin my nostalgia for FF7 by trying to replay it

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Chopper dies!

• Options

Chopper dies!

Who?

• Options

Chopper dies!

Who?

Nemo was an AI inside the Su-37 all along!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

It should have all the bonus stuff though (speed up time, instant limit breaks, etc) so it really helps. I think I exited Midgar in like 2 hours with everything lol.

• Options
    Yeah, I found this current re-release (based on the international version I assume, through an emulator with speed-up functions) to be honestly very playable. But I'm also one of the people who doesn't find early 3D to be inherently less playable than the golden age of 2D, even if it is uglier.

I wish it wasn't so easy to activate the cheats though. That's not a metaphor. I'll be trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to press, and then suddenly, invincibility on.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I found this current re-release (based on the international version I assume, through an emulator with speed-up functions) to be honestly very playable. But I'm also one of the people who doesn't find early 3D to be inherently less playable than the golden age of 2D, even if it is uglier.

I wish it wasn't so easy to activate the cheats though. That's not a metaphor. I'll be trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to press, and then suddenly, invincibility on.

Yea, I grew up on early 3D, so I can take it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I would murder for Parasite Eve.

Please, Square

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Parasite Eve cleaned up FF7R style, where all you do is touch the graphics, would be a classy Xbox exclusive. Think Microsoft, think.

• Options
    so uh, turns out the Xbox version of Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't region locked. probably gonna be looking into that over the weekend.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    so uh, turns out the Xbox version of Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't region locked. probably gonna be looking into that over the weekend.

I've been trying to locate the store page on my PC and almost tore my hair out, maybe I'll try that next time I boot it up

• Options

I've been trying to locate the store page on my PC and almost tore my hair out, maybe I'll try that next time I boot it up

when i say Xbox i mean the console version. think you still need to some location trickery on PC to access the Windows Store version.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

It's on Steam now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056640/Phantasy_Star_Online_2/
    crossplays with Xbox and Windows Store (here's how to link your account for cross-save)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    also if you play on Steam, you can earn a bunch of bonus Valve-themed cosmetic rewards for logging in and completing quests: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1056640/view/4352117889371216197
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_S8ZDajTvg

Today is also the launch of PSO2 Episode 4, a big update that adds a crafting system for gear and abilities, PVP, a new planet, new story content, a level cap increase, and more: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1056640/view/2744333355071261931

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Parasite Eve cleaned up FF7R style, where all you do is touch the graphics, would be a classy Xbox exclusive. Think Microsoft, think.

Isn't that the definition of not only "touching the graphics"? That sounds lot more like a Resident Evil 2-style remake.

Not that I'm complaining. I'd totally play it. Me and literally dozens of other people, dozens!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    With the increased focus on Game Pass I hope the new store makes it easier to claim the various rewards. Some of these take like 5 different screens and a press to claim and get back to the list

• Options
    Didn't see it mentioned here, but it looks like Apple policy is blocking any app that streams multiple third-party games from company servers. Stadia and Geforce Now have been similarly stalled on iOS. So you can expect xCloud to come to iOS the precise moment that Tim Cook has an epiphany and not a moment sooner. (Barring some miracle with the app store lawsuits.)

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    While I don't know the specifics in this case, generally those blocks aren't due to "streaming", but due to somehow providing access to a non-IAP storefront. Steam Link had that problem (might still, not looked recently) in that sure, it just logged you into your Steam account on your PC... But you could then buy games through it.

Basically, not only can you not offer purchases outside of IAP, but you can't even (within the app) link to a thing that links to a thing where you can make a purchase. I don't recall if the policy also includes links in the app that open you into the actual browser; that may be tetchy, but okay. Things like Steam proper, or the Xbox app, Amazon, whatever, etc don't count; none let you use what you just bought on the device.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Isn't that the definition of not only "touching the graphics"? That sounds lot more like a Resident Evil 2-style remake.

Not that I'm complaining. I'd totally play it. Me and literally dozens of other people, dozens!

Yeah, if someone told TexiKen that it was just a graphics overhaul, that's one hell of a false bill of goods they've been sold.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Didn't see it mentioned here, but it looks like Apple policy is blocking any app that streams multiple third-party games from company servers. Stadia and Geforce Now have been similarly stalled on iOS. So you can expect xCloud to come to iOS the precise moment that Tim Cook has an epiphany and not a moment sooner. (Barring some miracle with the app store lawsuits.)

Yeah, I was thinking about sharing the same thing. Here's a classic Window Central "Microsoft needs to try harder even though it's actually not under their control and possibly not even their fault" article about how the iOS app is way behind (and only has one game, the MCC).

It could be worse. Android overwhelmingly dominates the smart phone OS share, both in the United States and internationally, with +80% market share. It's hard to say if iOS is on the way to following Apple's computer operating systems in dipping below 10% and never recovering, but it's pretty obvious they're well behind Android and Windows 10 support on PC (which is another criticism of Xbox Game Streaming). If they're going to stall somewhere, it might as well be on iPhone.
    Carpy wrote: »
    With the increased focus on Game Pass I hope the new store makes it easier to claim the various rewards. Some of these take like 5 different screens and a press to claim and get back to the list

It's a lot easier to do on the Android app, or at least I think so.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    dporowski wrote: »
    While I don't know the specifics in this case, generally those blocks aren't due to "streaming", but due to somehow providing access to a non-IAP storefront. Steam Link had that problem (might still, not looked recently) in that sure, it just logged you into your Steam account on your PC... But you could then buy games through it.

Basically, not only can you not offer purchases outside of IAP, but you can't even (within the app) link to a thing that links to a thing where you can make a purchase. I don't recall if the policy also includes links in the app that open you into the actual browser; that may be tetchy, but okay. Things like Steam proper, or the Xbox app, Amazon, whatever, etc don't count; none let you use what you just bought on the device.

Geforce Now doesn't even sell games at all, relying on having already bought your games on Steam or other storefronts. Plus the beta iOS xCloud app wasn't selling anything either, yet it was restricted to a single game. Being a storefront isn't the only restriction that applies here.

Steam Link passes as a Remote Desktop application, which is why it is even allowed after removing purchase abilities, alongside Moonlight which had to remove its Steam launching functionality. The app company hosting the game streaming servers instead of users seems to be in a different category.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah I guess I mean a Bikini Bottom or Destroy All Humans type clean up, not FF7R UwU.