As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Started up It Lurks Below and my first impression was that it was just a poor-man's Terraria. But then the more I played it the more I saw the differences and I like it. You get experience points and survival points (crafting, mining, etc), blueprints, teleports back and forth, Diablo style loot... It's pretty nifty. Not sure how long I'll play it but it's fun.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Starting out surge 2 and man it makes a way worse first impression than surge 1. I hate it when game sequels do this, they get too ambitious and forget to establish themselves

I’ve had to redo the starting area 3 times. The first game had a much better curve at the start

the early curve is definitely worse but i feel like its better overall through out the rest of the game.

the worst part of Surge 2* is that is fails to impart how important parrying is until you reach the first real boss fight(not the prison boss), who you need to parry to beat**. until that point it felt mostly optional. it offered a benefit in combat but never seemed like it was necessary and then suddenly it was.

on the plus side it was still making you learn that part of combat early on, and isn't nearly as bad as The Surge 1 introducing new enemies in the last portion of the game that felt entirely unbalanced in comparison to the rest of the game.

*based on my furthest play through in which i have not finished the campaign.
    **technically i think you can do it without parrying but it requires a start that would require a greater mastery of the game than simply learning to parry effectively.

Thanks for the heads up yeah I think I’ve maybe pulled off one effective parry and then avoided it like the plague since. I mean the core gameplay is still surge so it’s hacking off limbs and jolly good fun. But the thematic starting is just so off. The prisoners attacking you are sometimes weirdly quiet, and it’s not quite clear why they’re attacking you. It all just feels confusing. Whereas surge 1s starting felt so cool and was such a neat and effective introduction to the world. I’m a stickler for game startings, a good opening can make or break a game experience and it always frustrates me when one feels hurried or lacklustre

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Starting out surge 2 and man it makes a way worse first impression than surge 1. I hate it when game sequels do this, they get too ambitious and forget to establish themselves

I’ve had to redo the starting area 3 times. The first game had a much better curve at the start

the early curve is definitely worse but i feel like its better overall through out the rest of the game.

the worst part of Surge 2* is that is fails to impart how important parrying is until you reach the first real boss fight(not the prison boss), who you need to parry to beat**. until that point it felt mostly optional. it offered a benefit in combat but never seemed like it was necessary and then suddenly it was.

on the plus side it was still making you learn that part of combat early on, and isn't nearly as bad as The Surge 1 introducing new enemies in the last portion of the game that felt entirely unbalanced in comparison to the rest of the game.

**technically i think you can do it without parrying but it requires a start that would require a greater mastery of the game than simply learning to parry effectively.

Thanks for the heads up yeah I think I’ve maybe pulled off one effective parry and then avoided it like the plague since. I mean the core gameplay is still surge so it’s hacking off limbs and jolly good fun. But the thematic starting is just so off. The prisoners attacking you are sometimes weirdly quiet, and it’s not quite clear why they’re attacking you. It all just feels confusing. Whereas surge 1s starting felt so cool and was such a neat and effective introduction to the world. I’m a stickler for game startings, a good opening can make or break a game experience and it always frustrates me when one feels hurried or lacklustre

i feel like they tried to do a more contained tutorial section with the prison and it just didn't work out as intended. they try to teach you a lot in that area that you don't really need to learn there and then and then don't follow up on in the next couple areas meaning its easy to get a few hours in without really getting to grips with how they intend for the game to be played. again, see my comments on parrying. other than that though, i do think the game is largely an improvement over the first and is well worth sticking with. really need to get back to it though i might need to restart rather than trying to relearn the game at the mid-point(or 2/3rds, not sure exactly).

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I’m definitely going to stick with it, I think on a personal preference level I just enjoyed the more simple set up and setting of the first. Like I’m not saying in the end I’ll like that setting better than this one, just that it makes for a more cohesive and compelling establishing act

However I do like that I can finally be Emily blunt in edge of tomorrow

Prohass on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I’m definitely going to stick with it, I think on a personal preference level I just enjoyed the more simple set up and setting of the first. Like I’m not saying in the end I’ll like that setting better than this one, just that it makes for a more cohesive and compelling establishing act

this alone makes me want to play this now

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

this alone makes me want to play this now

I think it’s free on gamepass if you have it? But yeah the first one you were a specific guy, but this one you can create a kind of blank slate character and choose male or female

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd say it depends on what it covers. Adding 21 more months for $20 given how expensive the thing already is seems like a deal.

Shouldn't a 2-year warranty cover 24 months?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'd say it depends on what it covers. Adding 21 more months for $20 given how expensive the thing already is seems like a deal.

Default warranty is 3 months.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ya I think dumbly it just extends it to 2 years

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    late to the party, but oof @ spiderman. This takes the caek though:

When it comes to cosmetics, PlayStation players will have 30-day exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for each Super Hero as they are released – this is also for the six launch heroes. In addition, we also have rewards for those with a PlayStation Plus subscription. For each Super Hero added to the game post-launch, Hawkeye included, all PS Plus members will receive a free bundle that contains a Rare Outfit, nameplate, and 100 Credits to celebrate the addition of another Avenger to the roster. At launch, we’ll have a free bundle for Ms. Marvel available for PS Plus members to embiggen our love for Kamala!

But then again, it's also neat. Makes it easier to not buy a game to support it even if you don't intend to play it right away. <3

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's really fun as a PC player to watch as the Sony/Xbox cockfight shits up the PC versions as well. :razz:

• Options
    It's really fun as a PC player to watch as the Sony/Xbox cockfight shits up the PC versions as well. :razz:

guess you missed Destiny 2's shenanigans?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

guess you missed Destiny 2's shenanigans?

Didn't mean to insinuate that this is the first time it has happened.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    What I'm hearing about this game, players on every console might be better off forgetting that it exists.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's a thread for the Avengers debacle. Let's just say they decided all the money wasn't enough, and tried to triple dip

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What I'm hearing about this game, players on every console might be better off forgetting that it exists.

The description above screams microtransactions and loot boxes.

• Options
    Yes and I'm saying, there may not be anything worth playing anyway to even get to the point of outrage over the business model.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Not liking the return to the disc Dpad

• Options
    the important thing is there will be an all white controller available at launch @_@

will have to see how the d-pad feels.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Isn't it based on the Elite controller d-pad? I've heard nothing but great things about those d-pads.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Isn't it based on the Elite controller d-pad? I've heard nothing but great things about those d-pads.

Yeah, but it has the option for standard Dpad or the disc. The disc is fine, but the old disc Dpad on the 360 pad was very mushy and bad.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I doubt they were like "factory has an old stock of 360 discs, let's use those!" :P

maybe they'll bring back the twist to d-pad. or you can transfer it to this one. lol

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Was this the little Johnny boss or another boss? Cos I think I may have done what I always do in souls like games and just overleveled enough that I can just brute force enemies without strategies, cos I never parried him. Just wailed on him and dodged, unless there’s another boss you mean?

Prohass on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The old d-pad was terribad. Hopefully they ship faceplates for the new ones, disc or cross.

The X vs. S seems sensible in a way, if you have a 1080p screen and aren't going 4k, the X is sorta lost on you.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Default warranty is 3 months.

I would have thought purchasing a 2-year warranty in addition to the default 3-month would add 24 months to the three you're getting already.
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Ya I think dumbly it just extends it to 2 years

Well, damn. I'd say that sounds like false advertising, but I'm sure they've worded it very carefully.
    Not liking the return to the disc Dpad

Same. Have to try it for myself to be sure, but if nothing else, at least all my One controllers will still work with it, since its Dpad is sublime.

I just don't know why you would mess with perfection like that...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Yeah you're buying a two year warranty, not a 2 year extension. There's a distinction.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    The old d-pad was terribad. Hopefully they ship faceplates for the new ones, disc or cross.

The X vs. S seems sensible in a way, if you have a 1080p screen and aren't going 4k, the X is sorta lost on you.

Maybe if the S had a disc drive, which it probably won't.

Also I wonder if we'll see more or less performance vs resolution settings in games in the forthcoming generation, particularly like the ones where an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro offer the choice between 4K/30fps and 1080p/60fps.

Jazz on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Jazz wrote: »

I disagree

You are marketing this console to families who cant afford as much they are probably already buying used games, to lock them out of that would be a boneheaded move.

Hell I would have zero reason to buy one for my son eventually cause 90% of his bought new games are on disc.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I disagree

You are marketing this console to families who cant afford as much they are probably already buying used games, to lock them out of that would be a boneheaded move.

Hell I would have zero reason to buy one for my son eventually cause 90% of his bought new games are on disc.

I think it'd be boneheaded too, absolutely, but every leak we've seen so far seems to indicate the cheaper console might drop the optical drive. I really hope it doesn't happen.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I was getting a very obvious callous on my left thumb--and only my left thumb--using the cross on my Elite Series 2 (this was an issue with my Series 1, in all fairness). Specifically from trying to get S-ranks in Streets of Rage 4.

It's not a problem on the disc. But I still prefer the cross-shape overall, I just can't use it for SOR4 personally.

I disagree

I think it'd be boneheaded too, absolutely, but every leak we've seen so far seems to indicate the cheaper console might drop the optical drive. I really hope it doesn't happen.

Yeah, they're almost definitely going to drop the drive, especially since Sony is dropping the UHD drive on a console that, let's face it, will probably cost just $50 below the console with the drive. Possibly $40 or $30 below only--the UHD drive probably costs them less than that on the scale they're manufacturing, and this is Sony (see: dropping UHD from the PSFro to save themselves $13). The Series S probably isn't going to look like a cube though.

It rules it out for me as well, because I use my Xbox as a UHD/BR/DVD player, and because I have a massive physical library. It comes down to complicated inside-business calculus. They want to be able to say they have a cheaper alternative--and they do--but they don't want everyone who's going to buy a Series X to buy it instead, because the premium product, even before the price benefit, makes a better showcase for the community. They want it to work, but not at the cost of the thing it is an alternative to. There's a part of the audience that practically scorns physical libraries, but they weren't breaking down their doors to spend $50 on a digital-only Xbox One, so it's a gamble in a way the Series X isn't necessarily. It'll need to have a substantial price difference...$100 or more (probably more) to make a successful argument.

Somewhat ironically, Sony has done a lot less to further disc usage and, by extension, continuity of physical libraries. PSNow is a widespread failure, but they'll probably just eat that debacle (or try to right the ship), instead of putting the cost and development into aping what Xbox has done with disc support for BC. They're not even a UHD option despite being part of the Blu-Ray consortium, and literal years behind Xbox in that specific regard. And I doubt they care about either of those things. Which means their market domination right now, and very plausible market domination in the future, gives Microsoft a great deal of leeway to try things like that. No, they're not going to pull a Sony and say, "Yeah, from now on, all Series X and S consoles won't read BC-program discs, you need to buy licenses," but it means they could attempt moving in that direction, if they wanted to, with far fewer consequences. Your PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs are as valuable as coasters on the PS4, and that's true for PS5 as well. Especially if the PS5 is the market leader, Microsoft can just point at them and say, "Why not? They're doing it too, and no one cared" if they think the expected backlash is worth the cost savings and profit margins you don't see from the second hand market.

And I really hope it doesn't come to that. Sony's not helping.

So, here's the Series S "Robot White" controller--I don't think anyone shared this yet.

j0pzetp1e0r9.jpg

I don't think the shell is two-tone like the original Xbox 360 controllers were.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

I disagree

Am I missing something? According to the website, there's a version with the optical drive and one without.

The one with the optical drive is $299. The "all digital" one without didn't have a price because it's sold out. So that would indicate this isn't as much of a bone headed move?

I mean, shit, I'm primarily a PC gamer and haven't inserted a physcial disc into my computer for years. The laptop I'm writing this on doesn't even have one. I have three young gamers, 9, 7, and 5. If I handed one of them a disc and told them to install it on their computer, I doubt they'd know what that meant. And these are guys who ask for Steam gift cards for Christmas and birthdays so they can shop for their own.

So the fact that the "disc-less" trend is getting hotted on consoles is no surprise. With that, maybe it's a mistake to define the used game market and the need for physical media as something inherently valuable to "poor" people, as if the slight cost difference between used and new (versus buying games as they go on sale...which happens with many digital products) is a major factor here.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    We've already established that the Series X console has, in fact, a UHD drive that can play games and movies.

It is also the more expensive option, though we don't know how much.

Jazz is arguing it's a "bone-headed move" on the basis that a less expensive console would be an attractive option, for example, for someone who wants to buy their child a next generation console that costs less, but wants to take advantage of the second-hand market (which is frequently cheaper than discounted digital purchases) as well as their physical library (which they wouldn't have to repurchase). Thereby undermining the "cheaper option" premise.

Though considering the Playstation 5 both looks to be at least as expensive as the Series X, and the cheaper variation is identical save removing the optical drive (and thus, will be much closer in cost), on top of Sony already cutting support for the legacy physical library, the Xbox Series S will still be less expensive (even before considering a console-only subscription of Game Pass).

• Options
    Man I severely regret putting State of Decay 2 on Easy. But now I'm worried that if I bump it up I'll be in for a rude awakening lol.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Was this the little Johnny boss or another boss? Cos I think I may have done what I always do in souls like games and just overleveled enough that I can just brute force enemies without strategies, cos I never parried him. Just wailed on him and dodged, unless there’s another boss you mean?

it was the Little Johnny. i was having a hard time getting close enough to hit him and not getting destroyed unless i parried and stunned him. if you managed then bravo but i'd still say its worth learning to parry early.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Man I severely regret putting State of Decay 2 on Easy. But now I'm worried that if I bump it up I'll be in for a rude awakening lol.

Bump it. The difficulty is almost entirely in resource scarcity, rather than a mechanical jump in difficulty.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz is arguing it's a "bone-headed move" on the basis that a less expensive console would be an attractive option, for example, for someone who wants to buy their child a next generation console that costs less, but wants to take advantage of the second-hand market (which is frequently cheaper than discounted digital purchases) as well as their physical library (which they wouldn't have to repurchase). Thereby undermining the "cheaper option" premise.

But by definition, wouldn't the "cheaper" option remove something that makes it cheaper? And with that, why would they go cheaper and lose revenue on the hardware to also support a market and a customer they make no additional revenue off of?

It only undermines the premise if the goal was to move down stream to intentionally target a consumer with less disposable income. But I don't think that's the case here...rare is it that targeting someone without a lot of money, especially on luxuries (like gaming consoles) produces good results.

It's likely the target market is not the value-shopper, but the person who doesn't place value on physical media, hence finding that they can save money on that console as a benefit. And this is a customer who plans to buy digital exclusively, which also means much higher profits, as they don't have to deal with the costs of creating and distributing physical media. Heck, not even having to ship a physical product is an enormous cost savings. This also creates a direct customer buying from them, versus a 3rd party partner.

To me it doesn't sound boneheaded. It's actually really smart.

• Options
    As somebody who deals with (at this time fortunately) 2Mb/s, all- digital consoles can fuck right off. Especially if storage becomes a premium.

• Options

I disagree

Microsoft wants these people on gamepass, and at current prices its not a bad argument.

Its not great if you already have a huge disc library of One games, but if you're not a luxury early adopter, there aren't any next gen exclusives to make you buy any system this holiday anyway.
    ironzerg wrote: »

I disagree

Am I missing something? According to the website, there's a version with the optical drive and one without.

The one with the optical drive is $299. The "all digital" one without didn't have a price because it's sold out. So that would indicate this isn't as much of a bone headed move?

I mean, shit, I'm primarily a PC gamer and haven't inserted a physcial disc into my computer for years. The laptop I'm writing this on doesn't even have one. I have three young gamers, 9, 7, and 5. If I handed one of them a disc and told them to install it on their computer, I doubt they'd know what that meant. And these are guys who ask for Steam gift cards for Christmas and birthdays so they can shop for their own.

So the fact that the "disc-less" trend is getting hotted on consoles is no surprise. With that, maybe it's a mistake to define the used game market and the need for physical media as something inherently valuable to "poor" people, as if the slight cost difference between used and new (versus buying games as they go on sale...which happens with many digital products) is a major factor here.

SAD was discontinued prematurely just like the One X. It wasn't massively popular, especially at its launch price. I don't know how much that applies to next gen, but it's actually a pretty strong argument against the market going for discless right now.

Rampant piracy from improving internet access mostly killed PC physical games, something like music CDs went through. It is a data point in market acceptance of digital, but it again was a premature shift due to other factors.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I cannot believe that it is August 10th and we still do not have a price and date.

This game of chicken between MS and Sony can fuck right off.