As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I'll try to do live updates on Monday night and Tuesday morning for retailers

Looks like MS will be giving more info in the days to come, but will still be worth keeping an eye on retailers to see if anyone jumps the gun.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    what? how are yo able to put in a preorder? D:

quite a few places have gone a head an opened up PS5 pre-orders already instead of waiting till tomorrow. if you're planing on buying check your preferred retailer and hope the order page isn't getting hammered to hard.

Xbox pre-orders are still slated for the 22nd.

oh, that's the PS5 preorder. Fine with waiting, lol.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Lmao that fucking shade

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    They’re charging way more for ps5 games, I hope that’s just a temporary attempt and falls back.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    They’re charging way more for ps5 games, I hope that’s just a temporary attempt and falls back.

It won't fall back if people all pay that much. And gamers famously... always do that so I have basement bottom hopes on this one.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's frustrating that Sony of all companies is the one pushing the pricing forward

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    There is absolutely zero chance that the Playstation 5 is being sold at a break-even or a profit (even moreso than the Xbox), you would bet your ass they would price their first-party games higher to offset the fact their digital-only machine is $100 cheaper

Besides, the idea that high-budget games will forever remain $60 or lower over decades is a pipe dream and one already dispelled by game prices in countries which aren't the United States

• Options
    There is absolutely zero chance that the Playstation 5 is being sold at a break-even or a profit (even moreso than the Xbox), you would bet your ass they would price their first-party games higher to offset the fact their digital-only machine is $100 cheaper

Besides, the idea that high-budget games will forever remain $60 or lower over decades is a pipe dream and one already dispelled by game prices in countries which aren't the United States

I get it... Games are expensive. There's a lot of factors there worth considering. But games also make more money than ever before, and it's a pandemic still. I don't feel like it's quite the right timing for that kind of change, but what do I know. I expect this from EA and Activision, less so from first party manufacturers.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'll never be able to trust any publisher who insists that game prices need to rise, because they're likely skimming MILLIONS off of that profit to pay overinflated executive salaries. Pay everyone, bottom to top, a reasonable wage and then get back to me about if games needs to be $70 or not.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man the ps5 has sold out like everywhere in Australia, that never happens usually for the big consoles here. Xbox likely won’t be as popular but still, I wasn’t planning on preordering but now I’m going to be getting in as early as possible just in case

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    with game prices going up by 10 bucks i'm excited for publishers to get rid of all the micro-transactions they were relying on this gen!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    It's frustrating that Sony of all companies is the one pushing the pricing forward

Sony? "Rootkit your PC for DRM" Sony? "It costs more because it's a premium product" Sony?

I seriously have no idea where all this "they're wonderful!" impression came from. That company has a reputation, and earned every piece. (Or divisions thereof do. Their imaging and sensor division seems to be quite reasonable, for instance.)

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Sony? "Rootkit your PC for DRM" Sony? "It costs more because it's a premium product" Sony?

I seriously have no idea where all this "they're wonderful!" impression came from. That company has a reputation, and earned every piece. (Or divisions thereof do. Their imaging and sensor division seems to be quite reasonable, for instance.)

I wasn't really calling Sony wonderful, more that they have a pretty commanding lead going into this new generation and them playing games with pricing (and the recent pre-order debacle) seems like them displaying some hubris. This is their generation to try to prove the PS4 wasn't a fluke, but a successful business model they could repeat. But it's still *pandemic* in America with a thousand people dying a day and 1 in 10 people jobless... Not a good time.

I'm more just amazed they're getting away with it I guess

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I mean. "Because they can", really. People will justify it to themselves however in ways they wouldn't for other things.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    My ancient Astro A40's seem to regularly have cases where something fucks up and my microphone no longer works. It either is because I need to use the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter (which is now apparently mostly out of stock and can run upwards of $60), or because it needs another specific cable to connect to the Adapter (and thus work at all).

I have no idea why the mic no longer works sometimes, and other times works beautifully.

Ultimately, it seems like it may be time to retire the 8-10 year old headphones and finally modernize. Particularly in light of the Series X coming out soon.

Any solid recommendations to take advantage of a new system, and a set that is easily compatible with Xbox controllers without needing additional products?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there's any chance XB1X's are going to drop significantly in prices after this? Since the XBSS doesn't have the X's upgrades to BC games, if I don't want to outright buy a X, at least an 1X would let me throw all my 360 games on it and get the best BC, and store the 360.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    andy1111andy1111 Registered User new member
    One thing about Xbox One X consoles is that these games need intense graphics and monitors which is why you should have a gaming monitor that is lag-free and offers you a seamless experience. Just like PS4 gaming monitors, the Xbox One X is capable of performing on 60hz. So any gaming monitor with 60 or more than 60Hz rate will offer you more enjoyable gameplay.

Hey, its Andy. I am a gamer and I play PC as well as Console games. Gaming Headsets
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    dporowski wrote: »

I wasn't really calling Sony wonderful, more that they have a pretty commanding lead going into this new generation and them playing games with pricing (and the recent pre-order debacle) seems like them displaying some hubris. This is their generation to try to prove the PS4 wasn't a fluke, but a successful business model they could repeat. But it's still *pandemic* in America with a thousand people dying a day and 1 in 10 people jobless... Not a good time.

I'm more just amazed they're getting away with it I guess

Sony and MS have absolutely switched spots, I wonder if Sony course correct at all to a more humble approach but we shall see.

Although between the "We believe in generations BS" and the $10 increase and hell Ill say it the $30 over the One X in Canada

I doubt it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    People keep bringing up the pandemic like it's supposed to make them less shameless. It won't. The drop in demand from some people not having jobs has been more those offset by those that still do being stuck in their house. Gaming revenue is way, way up across the board and it is in fact the perfect time to start gouging people. You couldn't have picked a better time to move to $70.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ugh, Xbox preorders better not be the same Sony Shit Show.

I snagged a PS5 because that is what I have done for decades but I actually want a Series X.

• Options
    I wonder how preorders are going to work with the All Access program

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    With pretty much everything I want to play announced for 2021 coming to current consoles (other than Deathloop and Ratchet and Clank) I'm definitely going to hold off as long as I can. Especially since I'm hoping for a console redesign. Goddamn, the Series X and PS5 are huge. I'm going to have to buy another entertainment center to cram those behemoths into.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

In an interview with IGN, Xbox director of program management Jason Ronald confirmed that game install sizes will be approximately 30% smaller on the Series S than on the Series X. This is due to the reduced resolution texture packages needed for games on the Series S, which will be targeting 1440p resolution instead of 4K on the Series X.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    My fav Sony move was "winning" E3 events by showing 40 amazing games, 90% of which wouldn't be out for another 6 years. Still hyped for Deep Down!

• Options
    Remember how Ori and the Will of the Wisps was said to be probably too advanced to go on Switch?

It was just announced for Switch. And also released today. Looks like the Microsoft collaboration continues.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ebay is flooded with PS5 preorders. You can get a disc edition for $750.

Oh, this country we call America.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

You should see all the 3000 series NVidia GPUs on ebay for double (or more) the price than those geese got a bot to order them for.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

That's honestly less than I would have expected.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think I'm going to hold off for the new console for a little bit. I really only have it for game pass games, and those generally aren't super demanding to run on my older TV or 1080p monitor so the X I have is fine. Anything more modern I'm going to snag on the PC over Xbox anyway.

Bigity on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    My fav Sony move was "winning" E3 events by showing 40 amazing games, 90% of which wouldn't be out for another 6 years. Still hyped for Deep Down!

To be fair that was Capcom's fault.

Phanta Rei engine development crumbled and they went mostly with Unreal after that.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Every consumer should be against $10 price increase on games, it's mind boggling that people still advocate to be charged more. The game industry and developers aren't dying or starving because of the pricing model, and if you think so you are buying the publisher propaganda.

Also, if Sony goes forward with $70 dollar games it makes it quite an easy pick for me which system to get.

edit: as a reminder, Activision-Blizzard laid off 800 employees after reporting profit. You're little 10 dollars isn't going to stop the actual problems that are driving the industry into a spiral.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Every consumer should be against $10 price increase on games, it's mind boggling that people still advocate to be charged more. The game industry and developers aren't dying or starving because of the pricing model, and if you think so you are buying the publisher propaganda.

Also, if Sony goes forward with $70 dollar games it makes it quite an easy pick for me which system to get.

I mean, I don't like paying more, but if it results in better quality games with less micro transaction BS, and less shenanigan's around development and release dates and worker hours, I can deal with it.

Paying more to just increase profit margins...yea ok.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

I mean, I don't like paying more, but if it results in better quality games with less micro transaction BS, and less shenanigan's around development and release dates and worker hours, I can deal with it.

Why bother with the if statement, you know for a fact it will do none of those things. The very first game to announce the $70 price tag was NBA 2K, the MOST microtransaction laden game franchise I can even think of.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Neither of those things will happen.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I still wonder if it costs more to make movies than video games. If so, game companies can afford to sell the games at a lower price.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Chance would be a fine thing...

It's a nice dream.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I still wonder if it costs more to make movies than video games. If so, game companies can afford to sell the games at a lower price.

i'm not defending any rise in pricing for games, but i don't think you can make a direct comparison between how the two industries make their money.

• Options
    I mean, games prices need to go up since AAA budgets have absolutely exploded since they went up at the start of the 360 era. That's part of why we had so many developers and publishers die between then and now. The amount you have to sell to make a profit is just too damn high.

But I seriously doubt that'll curtail all the microtransactions and games as a service stuff they're increasingly relying on.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Why bother with the if statement, you know for a fact it will do none of those things. The very first game to announce the $70 price tag was NBA 2K, the MOST microtransaction laden game franchise I can even think of.

Optimism.

The blind kind.

Bigity on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I bet they made bank just putting it on game pass with all the micro transactions in the game. Bi played 2k20 once it hit game pass and the virtual currency stuff was ridiculous.