As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Every consumer should be against $10 price increase on games, it's mind boggling that people still advocate to be charged more. The game industry and developers aren't dying or starving because of the pricing model, and if you think so you are buying the publisher propaganda.

Also, if Sony goes forward with $70 dollar games it makes it quite an easy pick for me which system to get.

I mean, I don't like paying more, but if it results in better quality games with less micro transaction BS, and less shenanigan's around development and release dates and worker hours, I can deal with it.

Paying more to just increase profit margins...yea ok.

Why bother with the if statement, you know for a fact it will do none of those things. The very first game to announce the $70 price tag was NBA 2K, the MOST microtransaction laden game franchise I can even think of.

I bet they made bank just putting it on game pass with all the micro transactions in the game. Bi played 2k20 once it hit game pass and the virtual currency stuff was ridiculous.

Yeah a lot of games on game pass have ridiculous micros, but if you didn't directly pay for the game you feel more apt to get them. Like Forza cars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Plus, we went from the "Horse armor" meme (which is admittedly laughable in a game that sells itself on its ease-of-modding and massive content-generating community) to commending that as a good (or at least "not evil") way of monetizing a game post-launch and a funding scheme for additional content instead of resorting to lootboxes.

Mostly because loot boxes, particularly Overwatch-style loot boxes, are terrible.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    When you write a longer post, realize you don't want to spend an entire page on what you're talking about and gut it... :tell_me_more:

Anyhoo, not surprised at the Ebay stuff. Already said I hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Xbox preorders. Though I hate the practice because it can be a potential inconvenience, and I'm not going to buy a predatory purchase, can't really blame people. It's just a symptom of the disease of capitalism. :pop:

Realistically, if the MSRP of games rose over time like everything else, games would be close to 80 bucks now. Literally every form of entertainment media has gone up in price over the last 15 years... because inflation is a thing that exists. With or without COVID-19's impact on the world economy a price increase was inevitable, and it seems this generation of consoles is where it's going to happen. Don't be surprised if/when other publishers follow suit. Xbox games that do Smart Delivery probably won't, at least for a while.

This increase isn't going to make the other stuff go away either.. because games are a business and businesses must make money. Outside of initial purchasers (of which, I am one), the majority of people aren't even paying full price now for games these days... and they're still getting that $60 and more from most of those people too, just in smaller portions over time. But games were never immune from the same pricing influences that life's actual necessities like food and water are subject to. Do I want to pay $70 for a game? Nope. But if the landscape changes such that if I want to buy a game fresh it will cost $70 instead of the $60 it has been, then I will either pay it, or take one of the many alternate means of legally getting the game a lower price point. IDK.

And... uh... Activision-Blizzard would have had those layoffs regardless of the record profit it had that year. That had more to do with next years projections and sheer lack of anything for those people - the majority of whom were communications, and other support/administrative services who are often overlooked in these these discussions - had to do. Bungie was gone, so no Destiny stuff, esports were esports, toys to life was pretty much dead... most, if not all companies would have taken a similar action in that situation. The workforce reducing bits, not the other stuff that happened there.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    In other downer news...well, arguably, I suppose, Eurogamer's deputy editor makes an interesting case about being unhappy with some of Sony's messaging and their about-face a few major points, particularly "belief in distinct console generations."

It's not something everyone or even most people are going to care about, but it's an interesting argument nonetheless.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    In other downer news...well, arguably, I suppose, Eurogamer's deputy editor makes an interesting case about being unhappy with some of Sony's messaging and their about-face a few major points, particularly "belief in distinct console generations."

It's not something everyone or even most people are going to care about, but it's an interesting argument nonetheless.

yeah, this is pretty much what i was getting at last night. so many of the details we got after the stream seem to fly in the face of what Sony have been saying for months, and that they put those details in a blog post suggests they were trying to slip them out under the radar, hoping that folks wouldn't notice. or at least wouldn't find out until after they'd pre-ordered and already felt locked in on a next-gen purchase.

and that's before we even get to the confusion over just how long certain exclusives are exclusive for and exactly which other platforms they'll be coming too.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    It’s especially ironic as they’ve also thrown a little shade Microsoft’s way, implying that wanting to play your old games is clinging to the past, and that Sony are all about the future.

Then during the price reveal announce “Here are a bunch of PS4 games you can start playing on day one !”

As with every generation, it’ll be a while before we see games making the most of the new consoles, so until then we’ll settle for the same, but shinier. And lower load times.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Preorder times
    – United States (8AM PT): Microsoft Store, Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, Target, Sam’s Club, Newegg, and other participating retailers

– Canada (8AM PT): Microsoft Store, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, EB Games, The Source, and other participating retailers

– UK (8AM BST): Microsoft Store, GAME, Amazon, Dixons, Currys PC World, Argos, John Lewis, Smyths Toys, and other participating retailers

– Australia (8AM AEST): Microsoft Store, JB Hifi, EB Games, Telstra, Harvey Norman, and other participating retailers

– New Zealand (8AM NZST): Microsoft Store, JB HiFi, EB Games, Spark, and other participating retailers

Across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, you can pre-order online starting at 9AM CEST at Microsoft Store, Amazon, MediaMarkt, GameStop, FNAC, Elkjøp/Elgiganten, and other participating retailers. Retailers and availability may differ by country.

For in-store pre-order availability please check with your preferred retailer.

Pre-order is also available via the Xbox All Access program. Xbox All Access is your all-inclusive pass to Xbox where you can get the next-gen Xbox console of your choice plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, with over 100 high-quality games and soon an EA Play membership, from $24.99 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost. As with our standalone console purchasing, you’ll be able to pre-order Xbox All Access starting on September 22, aligned with regional start times at the following retailers:

– United States (8AM PT): Best Buy, GameStop, Microsoft Store, and Walmart

– Australia (8AM AEST): Telstra

– New Zealand (8AM NZST): Spark

– UK (8AM BST): GAME and Smyths Toys

– Denmark (9AM CEST): Elgiganten

– Finland (9AM CEST): Gigantti

– Norway (9AM CEST): Elkjøp

– Sweden (9AM CEST): Elgiganten

no All Access times for Canada tho *thinking emoji*

• Options
    and here's the details on when pre-orders will go live, as well as confirmation that All Access will be available on the 22nd too. not sure if they'll be expanding that list or if folks in countries not listed will just need to keep an eye on their local retailers.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm worried but excited. It's nice to know exactly who will have it though. I'll have each store open in a tab, starting with Best Buy with Amazon and Newegg as my backups.

• Options
    Nooo don't use the Dualshock 2 icon darn you Twitter!

• Options
    Yea not sure where first but ill be going MS Store, Amazon and EB games to start I think for me

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm thinking amazon first, if only because I don't want it delivered to my house if I can avoid it. A few too many wrong house (and leave it there but never ring/knock) deliveries the past few months to trust a big ticket item.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm worried but excited. It's nice to know exactly who will have it though. I'll have each store open in a tab, starting with Best Buy with Amazon and Newegg as my backups.

i'll be interesting to see how it goes, if retailers stick to the announced times. i don't think there will be as high a demand as there was for PS5 but that doesn't mean it'll be issue free. hopefully everyone here who's pre-ordering is able to grab one with little fuss.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    It’s especially ironic as they’ve also thrown a little shade Microsoft’s way, implying that wanting to play your old games is clinging to the past, and that Sony are all about the future.

Then during the price reveal announce “Here are a bunch of PS4 games you can start playing on day one !”

As with every generation, it’ll be a while before we see games making the most of the new consoles, so until then we’ll settle for the same, but shinier. And lower load times.

Not sure if 'kill the past' is the right message to embrace.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm thinking amazon first, if only because I don't want it delivered to my house if I can avoid it. A few too many wrong house (and leave it there but never ring/knock) deliveries the past few months to trust a big ticket item.

I stopped using Amazon for big items after they, on more than one occasion, packed a large item inside of an even larger box, and then instead of using, say, packing peanuts or bubble wrap or those airpocket things.. the used a slip of brown paper.

Like, not even crumpled up really, just a flat slip of paper that likely didn't even cause friction to slow down the item rattling the hell around in the box. It all culminated in this:
    TOdTXcX.jpg

Now keep in mind that item was in it's own packaging, that included Styrofoam inserts, inside of larger box. How it managed to get so banged up in shipping I'll never know, but there was like ZERO padding in that larger box. And I have Prime shipping.

Never again.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Wraith260 wrote: »

yeah, this is pretty much what i was getting at last night. so many of the details we got after the stream seem to fly in the face of what Sony have been saying for months, and that they put those details in a blog post suggests they were trying to slip them out under the radar, hoping that folks wouldn't notice. or at least wouldn't find out until after they'd pre-ordered and already felt locked in on a next-gen purchase.

and that's before we even get to the confusion over just how long certain exclusives are exclusive for and exactly which other platforms they'll be coming too.

Sony hype-lying isn't really a new thing though, it's been an ongoing thing over the years that people have mostly just ignored. Mostly because Microsoft made it terribly easy to do so with their messaging, but eh. lol.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

I stopped using Amazon for big items after they, on more than one occasion, packed a large item inside of an even larger box, and then instead of using, say, packing peanuts or bubble wrap or those airpocket things.. the used a slip of brown paper.

Like, not even crumpled up really, just a flat slip of paper that likely didn't even cause friction to slow down the item rattling the hell around in the box. It all culminated in this:
    TOdTXcX.jpg

Now keep in mind that item was in it's own packaging, that included Styrofoam inserts, inside of larger box. How it managed to get so banged up in shipping I'll never know, but there was like ZERO padding in that larger box. And I have Prime shipping.

Never again.

oh wow, they had to have put something heavy on top of that to damage it like that. Almost like someone stepped on the box D:

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Or hit it with a forklift.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Ryo Hazuki.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    A combination of not owning a Playstation and Crash Bandicoot not having quite reached popularity when I was in Japan compared to Sony's other franchises meant I never played the original trilogy of games for more than a few minutes in the 1990s.

Part of me really wants to pick it up (I'm a sucker for when a console-exclusive franchise goes multiplatform, which happened a bunch with PS titles in the Xbox 360 era), and I'm impressive with how it's been technically re-imagined, but I'm terrible at plaformers and especially 3D platformers on top of the games being notorious for their difficulty.

I'll probably still buy the trilogy when it's on sale, and possibly never actually play it.

I'd honestly recommend going with 4 first, and if you think "I like this, but could do with not having unlimited lives" (which are optional in 4), then look at the Trilogy.
    dporowski wrote: »
    It's frustrating that Sony of all companies is the one pushing the pricing forward

Sony? "Rootkit your PC for DRM" Sony? "It costs more because it's a premium product" Sony?

I seriously have no idea where all this "they're wonderful!" impression came from. That company has a reputation, and earned every piece. (Or divisions thereof do. Their imaging and sensor division seems to be quite reasonable, for instance.)

I'm still trying to figure out how the PS3 edged out the 360 in sales after leaking everyone's data.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Ebay is flooded with PS5 preorders. You can get a disc edition for $750.

Oh, this country we call America.

I think those violate eBay's policies; you can sell stuff that's pre-ordered, but you have to have the item within a certain time after listing -- I think a month?

Speaking of pre-orders...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    My order of tabs will probably be Microsoft Store, Amazon, and Best Buy, with checking the first and 3rd options for All Access first.

If I can get the Series X plus shitloads of MS Rewards points, it'll be fantastic.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    My order of tabs will probably be Microsoft Store, Amazon, and Best Buy, with checking the first and 3rd options for All Access first.

If I can get the Series X plus shitloads of MS Rewards points, it'll be fantastic.

oh yeah. I forgot all about rewards points. maybe I should change purchase order too. :O

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Ryo Hazuki.

How bout a game of Lucky Hit?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    A combination of not owning a Playstation and Crash Bandicoot not having quite reached popularity when I was in Japan compared to Sony's other franchises meant I never played the original trilogy of games for more than a few minutes in the 1990s.

Part of me really wants to pick it up (I'm a sucker for when a console-exclusive franchise goes multiplatform, which happened a bunch with PS titles in the Xbox 360 era), and I'm impressive with how it's been technically re-imagined, but I'm terrible at plaformers and especially 3D platformers on top of the games being notorious for their difficulty.

I'll probably still buy the trilogy when it's on sale, and possibly never actually play it.

I'd honestly recommend going with 4 first, and if you think "I like this, but could do with not having unlimited lives" (which are optional in 4), then look at the Trilogy.
    It's frustrating that Sony of all companies is the one pushing the pricing forward

Sony? "Rootkit your PC for DRM" Sony? "It costs more because it's a premium product" Sony?

I seriously have no idea where all this "they're wonderful!" impression came from. That company has a reputation, and earned every piece. (Or divisions thereof do. Their imaging and sensor division seems to be quite reasonable, for instance.)

I'm still trying to figure out how the PS3 edged out the 360 in sales after leaking everyone's data.

I think those violate eBay's policies; you can sell stuff that's pre-ordered, but you have to have the item within a certain time after listing -- I think a month?

i believe they sent out an email, after stores had started taking orders, stating that those selected would get an email on Friday that will have a link that will put them into a queue to pre-order from Sony directly.

• Options

i believe they sent out an email, after stores had started taking orders, stating that those selected would get an email on Friday that will have a link that will put them into a queue to pre-order from Sony directly.

Yeah I think they had that all timed and then before that everyone said FUCK IT LETS GOOOOOO and put up their stuff ahead of schedule

• Options

Yeah I think they had that all timed and then before that everyone said FUCK IT LETS GOOOOOO and put up their stuff ahead of schedule

Between the clumsy pre order rollout and "officially" shooting down the rumor that SoC yields were running as low as 50% in the last 2 days, I think Sony went into full panic mode after MS's announcements.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Every consumer should be against $10 price increase on games, it's mind boggling that people still advocate to be charged more. The game industry and developers aren't dying or starving because of the pricing model, and if you think so you are buying the publisher propaganda.

Also, if Sony goes forward with $70 dollar games it makes it quite an easy pick for me which system to get.

edit: as a reminder, Activision-Blizzard laid off 800 employees after reporting profit. You're little 10 dollars isn't going to stop the actual problems that are driving the industry into a spiral.

Yeah, for the foreseeable future I'm playing the crap out of game pass. On the series X, my pc, and xcloud when those aren't available. I've already decided this gen I'm going all in with MS and their services because they are the most consumer friendly options out there by far and a great deal.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's a lot of bad I can say about the lying shits at Sony but they have kept their first party experiences pretty light on MTX. In fact they are far better about that than Microsoft. So if there's anyone that can justify $70 for games, it's them.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

That's a good point. I'd rather pick it up too. I had a few deliveries from amazon lately go just fine, and then the next one the guy ended up at pizza hut somehow asking how to get to my house. I could see that happening with the Xbox.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Is there any word on how All Access works with existing Game Pass subs?

• Options
    I'm kind of bummed there's no unique Day One edition.

• Options

or a Project Scarlet edition.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m worried that Tuesday may break me. I did manage to preorder a PS5 after 5+ hours last night of dedicated torture. I can’t do it again:

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    From reddit so grain of salt and all that
    Screenshot-20200917-212756.png

• Options
    Man that can't be real. No way would Play station let games be cheaper on the competition.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Someone in this thread said they got an email already that they were selected and would get their link on Friday.

• Options
    It was @GMaster7 - and he got that notification email (but not the link or queue code yet) yesterday either before or during the craziness.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man that can't be real. No way would Play station let games be cheaper on the competition.

It's not entirely true. See here. PS5 and "Xbox" versions are both 59.99. But because of Smart Delivery, you could just buy the Xbox One version for 49 (which Amazon has discounted the PS 4 and Xbox One versions to).

Can't look up Far Cry 6 atm, but I imagine it's the same situation.

edit: yep, same deal, at least on Amazon:
    44wyeywrzjea.png

(spoiler for image size)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I feel like most of these manufacturers have enough issues as it is even producing enough consoles for launch, let alone setting aside a quota for a Super Special Launch Edition

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options

I feel like most of these manufacturers have enough issues as it is even producing enough consoles for launch, let alone setting aside a quota for a Super Special Launch Edition

yeah especially with covid screwing with manufacturing at first. I imagine if this was a normal non pandemic year there'd be all sorts of special editions.

pleasepaypreacher.net