As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    I think if MS can just put out a video showing an Xbox Series S, doing ray-tracing on a game, vs the X1X, doing 4k but no ray-tracing, people will stop worrying about the XSS's graphics capabilities. Something like what nvidia did to show ray-tracing on their 30's for Watch Dogs: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/rtx/

Since Digital Foundry had that look at the X a while back, and recently admitted they already knew about the S and saw it while they were there, I wonder if they’ll have consoles early, so they can get some videos out pre or post launch.

You’ve got to imagine a breakdown of Minecraft on the S, with ray tracing on, might help shift a few units.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Still not able to switch from a home unit to a PC with the streaming, yeah?

Been on Stadia since launch and that feature is like magic for me.

It's not the same thing, but you can stream from your home to any phone that has Project XCloud on it, and have been able to since early in the beta.

Granted, you've also been able to do that with Windows 10 and an Xbox One for the last five years or more, so not very special.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They really need to move Xcloud off of phones, especially given they're making no real headway with Apple.

Getting it on PC and Consoles is something they need asap.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Apple needs this kind of bad press tho, they're too big for their britches and Epic and MS applying some pressure is good. Not that I think Apple will budge, but phones are more ubiquitous so it's money on the table if they don't try

• Options
    iOS looks like a complete dead end. I'm actually surprised it's not already integrated into the Xbox App on Windows 10 to begin with, considering the Console Companion app handles all the console-to-PC streaming.

Consoles (let's be real here-- "Xbox") is less surprising, since the Console Game Pass library is so much larger anyway, they might reason there's a lower priority once it's integrated into Game Pass.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I just realized that the 22nd may be an eBay reseller nightmare. :S

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I somewhat doubt it, but we'll see

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so this is a nifty video on the evolution of AI in the Forza franchise, including some talk about what Turn 10 playing around with right now.

https://youtu.be/XB9lf7iJbRw

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    Apple needs this kind of bad press tho, they're too big for their britches and Epic and MS applying some pressure is good. Not that I think Apple will budge, but phones are more ubiquitous so it's money on the table if they don't try

Meh, epic are being dicks. Not on their side at all all they have to do is not link to Vbucks from within the app.

The game streaming is a tough one. On the one hand, I get Apple doesn’t want streaming interactive applications or games that circumvent all the stuff that makes iOS cool, reliable, and safe. On the other hand, I want gamepass on my iPhone and this is not a tech Apple should want to be left out on (like Netflix, etc).

• Options
    edited September 2020

Meh, epic are being dicks. Not on their side at all all they have to do is not link to Vbucks from within the app.

The game streaming is a tough one. On the one hand, I get Apple doesn’t want streaming interactive applications or games that circumvent all the stuff that makes iOS cool, reliable, and safe. On the other hand, I want gamepass on my iPhone and this is not a tech Apple should want to be left out on (like Netflix, etc).

Yeah, the wrinkle in the Epic story is they supposedly tried to get a special deal before the suit:
    In a declaration to the court, Apple executive Phil Schiller wrote that Epic CEO Tim Sweeney asked for a “special deal with only Epic” that would “fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple’s iOS platform.” When Apple declined, Epic changed its policies to cut Apple out of in-app purchases. Now, the company argues that Epic’s ban is its own responsibility.

Hilarity being that it seems Epic's Unreal accounts got banned too.

(Source)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't Sweeny respond to that by going "Nuh-uh" and posting the full correspondence that mentioned they wanted it to apply to everyone?

• Options
    In the end it's all a rich people slap fight, but Apple is extremely anti-consumer so I side with Epic this time around.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Didn't Sweeny respond to that by going "Nuh-uh" and posting the full correspondence that mentioned they wanted it to apply to everyone?

Did you read the email? Because, "We hope that Apple will also make these options equally available to all iOS developers..." in a "hook us up" sandwich isn't much, if anything.

edit: obligatory mention that he also mentions Android customers at the end of this email that likely went to Google form-letter style.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

It’s such transparent bullshit tho. They wanted to create their own App Store. Who does that benefit? Them and other big companies other than Apple that can afford to do it. Who does it hurt to have the user base fractured into competing app stores? Smaller developers, who would then literally have an unfair playing field vs the big ones and get the benefit of access to billions of devices through Apple. And how does that help the consumer? It doesn’t.

I don’t mean to say Apple is a white knight here, they are protecting their money too. But Epic is a company that does the shit I hate such as micro transactions targeted at minors, FOMO seasonality, purchasing App Store exclusivity for their epic store and locking steam out of games, and IMO trying to weaponize kids by breaking a game on iOS kids have spent a lot of money on just to get them to pressure Apple. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point we see a class action against fortnite from iOS users, or Apple sued them to refund iOS users all prior spent purchases.

I may also be bitter that they destroyed Silicon Knights too. SK kinda deserved it, but Epic also destroyed a whole town By going legal nuclear on them. Wasn’t necessary to do that, but Epic gonna epic.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I don't remember anything about "destroyed a whole town".

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Looks like I'm in the same boat as Jazz. I have a non-4K TV as well, and honestly, the one and only thing keeping me from going with Series S over X is the lack of a disc drive, as my collection of on-disc Xbox games through the generations isn't inconsiderable.

Some sort of optional add-on like the suggested disc reader would change everything, though, as long as it was priced well.
    Prohass wrote: »
    On a different note how’s the crash bandicoot remake trilogy? Would someone who never played the originals but likes that style of game enjoy them? Anything bad about the remakes?

The good is it's extremely faithful remake. The bad is that many silly games (such as the forward flipping Lily pad game) are just as frustrating and unclear as the originals, in fact in some ways harder to tell why you messed up or missed. For better or worse, it's shiny Crash Bandicoot. I expect Crash 4 to be better

Crash 4 is looking great, but the biggest improvement to me is something I desperately wished was in the N. Sane Trilogy: an option to be rid of lives.

These are HARD games, and while I can stand some degree of repetition in throwing myself at a part of a stage repeatedly until I get it right, I have far less patience when you can only do that a few times before having to do the entire rest of the level over again just to pick up where you left off (especially when you're starting to develop the right rhythm or flow).

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I may also be bitter that they destroyed Silicon Knights too. SK kinda deserved it, but Epic also destroyed a whole town By going legal nuclear on them. Wasn’t necessary to do that, but Epic gonna epic.
    what?
    Also SK fucked themselves over and sued Epic first when they shouldn't have from what I recall

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm in the same boat as Jazz. I have a non-4K TV as well, and honestly, the one and only thing keeping me from going with Series S over X is the lack of a disc drive, as my collection of on-disc Xbox games through the generations isn't inconsiderable.

Some sort of optional add-on like the suggested disc reader would change everything, though, as long as it was priced well.
    Prohass wrote: »
    On a different note how’s the crash bandicoot remake trilogy? Would someone who never played the originals but likes that style of game enjoy them? Anything bad about the remakes?

The good is it's extremely faithful remake. The bad is that many silly games (such as the forward flipping Lily pad game) are just as frustrating and unclear as the originals, in fact in some ways harder to tell why you messed up or missed. For better or worse, it's shiny Crash Bandicoot. I expect Crash 4 to be better

Crash 4 is looking great, but the biggest improvement to me is something I desperately wished was in the N. Sane Trilogy: an option to be rid of lives.

These are HARD games, and while I can stand some degree of repetition in throwing myself at a part of a stage repeatedly until I get it right, I have far less patience when you can only do that a few times before having to do the entire rest of the level over again just to pick up where you left off (especially when you're starting to develop the right rhythm or flow).

Yup. I played Medieval and I spent 30 minutes struggling my way through a boss level only to die at the very end and have to redo the entire thing again. I haven't played it since.

• Options
    A combination of not owning a Playstation and Crash Bandicoot not having quite reached popularity when I was in Japan compared to Sony's other franchises meant I never played the original trilogy of games for more than a few minutes in the 1990s.

Part of me really wants to pick it up (I'm a sucker for when a console-exclusive franchise goes multiplatform, which happened a bunch with PS titles in the Xbox 360 era), and I'm impressive with how it's been technically re-imagined, but I'm terrible at plaformers and especially 3D platformers on top of the games being notorious for their difficulty.

I'll probably still buy the trilogy when it's on sale, and possibly never actually play it.

• Options
    Looks like a Mass Effect trilogy remaster may have leaked

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

That has leaked like a hundred times at this point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I also think it's fake, given the placeholder img used a logo used in another fake leak

I hate this new world where half the news is fake

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    what?
    Also SK fucked themselves over and sued Epic first when they shouldn't have from what I recall

Yep.
    The case began with Silicon Knights suing Epic Games in 2007 for allegedly breaching the companies' agreement over Unreal Engine 3 licensing. Epic in turn filed a counterclaim, alleging Silicon Knights developed its own engine and games other than Too Human illegally by using Unreal Engine 3. In May this year, the court ruled in favor of Epic Games, ordering Silicon Knights to pay Epic $4.45 million in damages.

Between that and quarter-assing their Xmen game by developing Eternal Darkness 2 at the same time even though license-holder Nintendo didn't approve it, Silicon Knights very much destroyed themselves.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Incontinence is a serious matter.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Is it even a leak when a thing is sadly inevitable?

#remasterfatigue

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Is it even a leak when a thing is sadly inevitable?

#remasterfatigue

And yet it'll still sell like gangbusters because people want to relive the moments of their lives when things didn't suck

*Me eyeing Mario 3D All-stars pre-order with a mix of melancholy and ire*

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If the PC gets a version of ME3 that doesn't require Origin, it will all have been worth it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If the PC gets a version of ME3 that doesn't require Origin, it will all have been worth it.

I've got good news for you then -- no version of ME3 will ever require Origin again!
    Well, it won't require "Origin." :p

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    The thing is, we don't need a remaster. We need a full remake using the combat from Andromeda.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh noooooo.....

Bah alright I'll buy em again.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    what?

Yep.
    The case began with Silicon Knights suing Epic Games in 2007 for allegedly breaching the companies' agreement over Unreal Engine 3 licensing. Epic in turn filed a counterclaim, alleging Silicon Knights developed its own engine and games other than Too Human illegally by using Unreal Engine 3. In May this year, the court ruled in favor of Epic Games, ordering Silicon Knights to pay Epic $4.45 million in damages.

Between that and quarter-assing their Xmen game by developing Eternal Darkness 2 at the same time even though license-holder Nintendo didn't approve it, Silicon Knights very much destroyed themselves.

ya that's what i thought (also lol totally forgot about the insane x-men stuff). no idea what this "destroy a small town" business is

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Played a bunch of Battletoads last night and really dug it. I have no real fondness for the first ones as I only played a couple times as a kid, so maybe that helped, but it's a pretty solid beat 'em up with a nice difficulty curve. I actually looked forward to getting to all the storyline bits at the end of each level and laughed a handful of times. For a game aiming for that sweet 90's nostalgia of Saturday morning cartoons it does a pretty good job, and is a lot less in your face and extreeeeeeeeeeme than it honestly could be.

• Options
    so i guess Sony are getting a little worried about MS making inroads with Japanese devs cause they just announced Final Fantasy 16 as a console exclusive.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so i guess Sony are getting a little worried about MS making inroads with Japanese devs cause they just announced Final Fantasy 16 as a console exclusive.

I lol'd...

edit: comments on that one will be interesting, thought this was a gem though -
    I remember Xbox fans being told that they weren't allowed to call Xbox-only multiplats "exclusives" as far back as Mass Effect in 2008, why are they suddenly "exclusives" again now Sony is doing the same thing two decades later?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    they've also snapped up Deathloop as a console exclusive.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Yeah coulda sworn Microsoft showed that one off earlier this year. Could be wrong though. I don't want to check I'm lazy

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    they've also snapped up Deathloop as a console exclusive.

This one hurts

• Options
    I'm actually impressed Final Fantasy XVI will have any timed exclusivity. Sony must've moneyhat'd hard for that (which is a thing companies do, certainly).

I would've been annoyed if FFXV, which I really like, had any sort of timed exclusivity, but I'm personally less interested in what little we've seen (and the whole "It's kind of like Dark Souls!" implication), on top of not having a release date (for all we know, it won't be out before the Playstation 5 Superpro is released, this is S-E after all), I'm a lot less upset about the concept of waiting for x time when it launches in year y.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    and there's the price and release date for PS5 $499, $399 for the digital, just as rumoured. releases on November 12 in US, Canada, Japan and a few other territories. November 19th everywhere else. notable that the UK is not one of the markets listed for Nov 12th. prices here are £449 and £349, so inline with Xbox pricing which is nice to see at least.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Ah, the price difference is bigger than I expected, but not too surprising. I was sort of expecting $450 and $400, but more and more it was looking unlikely that Sony undercut the more expensive option with their own.

I strongly suspect Sony is taking a notable loss-per-unit, especially with PS5AD, but that's something it may take years to fully understand.