Options

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Jonathan BLAU

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    We should exile Blow and Phil Fish to an island or something.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    remember when jonathan blow was like "i pissed in a bottle a lot when I made this game" or whatever

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nope

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Phil Fish has been off the internet for like a decade now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Well, 6 years because it was a direct result of The Bad Gamer Thing

sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

I said exile, not reward.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

I wish I could do that

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i haven't thought about phil fish in years

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    phil fish was an abrasive dick but i only ever saw him being an abrasive dick to people who i thought deserved it

though maybe i missed something

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I liked The Witness a lot, but anyone listening to Jonathan Blow is clearly a mistake.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Phil Fish did pocket a like $10k grant first prize from an indie dev contest after getting microsoft on to publish Fez that one time

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    free yourself from thinking about phil fish

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    From what I saw Phil Fish generally directed his derision towards hateful fuckwads, he just also had a hair trigger and seemed to get genuinely self destructive with the extent to which he reacted to things. The nature of twitter discourse always seemed to put him in pretty toxic spirals

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Anyone else still listening to Adventure Zone, Graduation is really good

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did the quality improve? I got through a dozen before I had to tap out. I really enjoyed the previous arcs, but this last one sucked, imho

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    It hasn't. Graduation is really... tragic

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    From what I saw Phil Fish generally directed his derision towards hateful fuckwads, he just also had a hair trigger and seemed to get genuinely self destructive with the extent to which he reacted to things. The nature of twitter discourse always seemed to put him in pretty toxic spirals

I imagine that in real life--not in front of a huge crowd or in the weird public space that is the internet--I would probably enjoy hanging out for a while with Phil Fish.

I cannot imagine any scenario where I have a conversation with Jonathan Blow that does not infuriate me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did the quality improve? I got through a dozen before I had to tap out. I really enjoyed the previous arcs, but this last one sucked, imho

I'm still listening because I have a lot of podcast-shaped time in my life, and it's just barely enjoyable enough for me not to bother deleting it every time it comes up in my playlist. But no, if you didn't like it a dozen episodes in there has been absolutely no improvement since then. Everything that was a bummer in episode twelve is still a bummer today.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I liked The Witness a lot, but anyone listening to Jonathan Blow is clearly a mistake.

Now that I know more about the dude I kinda hate that I liked his games. Definitely won't be getting whatever he does next.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well I liked the first dozen episodes (except for the boring imp hospital endless combat) so I guess I can't answer that lol. It's certainly more, I guess you could say subdued, than Amnesty, but I kind of like that, it feels like I'm playing a PC rpg and listening to all of my companion dialogues. I admit I haven't listened to the one million D&D podcasts that are out there, maybe I would have less patience for the more tropey elements if I did. And honestly, I just really prefer listening to Fitzroy than Lady Flame.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    graduation is the closest ive ever seen to the mcelroy mob turning on them, there are open complaints in their Facebook group about it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    also, the witness is great until you unlock the videos and start to suspect what a shithead blow is

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i forgot that jonathan blow and phil fish were two disctinct people.

i had mushed them into a singular annoying indie puzzle man in my head.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ah yes mr. blowfish

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Annoying indie puzzle man is a delightful turn of phrase

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Annoying indie puzzle man is a delightful turn of phrase

Yeah The Riddler's a real asshole

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ah yes mr. blowfish

Oh hello Marcus Beer.

• Options
    i like how dc has occasionally tried to reenvision the riddler and give him a more "cool" look and every single one fails so hard that it's borderline impossible to actually pull up reference images of them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    i like how dc has occasionally tried to reenvision the riddler and give him a more "cool" look and every single one fails so hard that it's borderline impossible to actually pull up reference images of them

Just give him a green suit and a bowler

It's a good look!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I liked when the Riddler was a good guy for a while

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

"Insufferable detective" was a fantastic hook for a good-guy Riddler

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

It really bums me that pretty much none of the villain rehabilitations we’ve seen of Batman’s Rogues Gallery has stuck.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Harley has mostly become an anti-hero and Poison Ivy, while not a good guy is considered more of a good then an evil.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    and that's great! it's fantastic to see some actual character growth in the all-too-often stagnant mythos of current big name comics

I just wish they'd have done the same for Riddler because again, it was an innovative, well thought out and well executed direction for the character

which is why I am unfortunately giving a major side-eye to both Harley and Ivy's direction and just waiting for what (I think is) an inevitable return to status quo for them in a few years time

I hope I'm wrong! but I don't think I will be

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    and that's great! it's fantastic to see some actual character growth in the all-too-often stagnant mythos of current big name comics

I just wish they'd have done the same for Riddler because again, it was an innovative, well thought out and well executed direction for the character

which is why I am unfortunately giving a major side-eye to both Harley and Ivy's direction and just waiting for what (I think is) an inevitable return to status quo for them in a few years time

I hope I'm wrong! but I don't think I will be

I think Harley's kind of stuck in heroish territory solely because they can make more money that way

Poison Ivy though, yeah I give her a few years more and then she'll be trying to kill all men again or whatever

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Is that truly evil anymore?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Nah, I think Harley's new status quo is anti-hero, I don't think there's any real demand for her to go back to pure villainy, at this point, especially given that her villainy is explicitly tied to a relationship with the Joker most everyone seems to want to move her past. Even in her TV show, where she's meant to be building her own villain crew, she's still...more of an anti-hero than an outright villain, I think. And in the comics she's been established as, you know, a comedic antihero in a few different universes. It's very possible someone turns her full evil again, but at this point I really doubt it'll stick for very long. She's extremely popular as is.

Ivy's a bit more likely to revert, but also the thing about Ivy is that...someone who is extremely pissed off at humans for destroying the environment is extremely sympathetic right now. She's got the moral high ground over like, Jason Todd, if nothing else, you know?

Also like...it's fun to see the Riddler have a face turn for a bit, but I also think like...he's a petty, arrogant dick, and that seems significantly harder to rehab than most things. And...I'm now reading Riddler's wikipedia entry and holy shit every attempt to make the Riddler a serious threat is extremely bad

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Is that truly evil anymore?

Anticipated this joke, thought about making it, but knew someone would cover it for me

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Nah, I think Harley's new status quo is anti-hero, I don't think there's any real demand for her to go back to pure villainy, at this point, especially given that her villainy is explicitly tied to a relationship with the Joker most everyone seems to want to move her past. Even in her TV show, where she's meant to be building her own villain crew, she's still...more of an anti-hero than an outright villain, I think. And in the comics she's been established as, you know, a comedic antihero in a few different universes. It's very possible someone turns her full evil again, but at this point I really doubt it'll stick for very long. She's extremely popular as is.

Ivy's a bit more likely to revert, but also the thing about Ivy is that...someone who is extremely pissed off at humans for destroying the environment is extremely sympathetic right now. She's got the moral high ground over like, Jason Todd, if nothing else, you know?

Also like...it's fun to see the Riddler have a face turn for a bit, but I also think like...he's a petty, arrogant dick, and that seems significantly harder to rehab than most things. And...I'm now reading Riddler's wikipedia entry and holy shit every attempt to make the Riddler a serious threat is extremely bad

I agree with all this, yes, but they'll probably still try to present Ivy as evil again if for no other reason than because she doesn't sell as much merch as Harley and DC's comic book audience seems to hate change as a general thing

But also, petty arrogant dick who's also a detective... I mean they made a whole four seasons of a British television show starring Benedict Cumberbatch about that and people ate it up, so I know they can make it work! It's just the "fearing change" thing keeping them away from it, I think

signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.