As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Social Media]: The Intersection Of Money, Policy, And Hate

19495969798100»

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Quotes got out of control.

MorganV I was being a little shit with my comment, because Hendrix is dead and paying for his music gives money to the copyright holders who are pretty bad.

MorganV is a good friend, and I can safely say (without even asking him) that he was 'doing a bit' humorously conflating Jimi Hendrix with the way that Trump said Fredrick Douglass "is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice."

Which maybe you caught, but just in case I figured I'd offer some clarity.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Everquest used to show you the population on each of their servers, which as a player was great because it would let you pick more populated servers for better socializing or less populated servers if you wanted to farm more. They took that away in 2002 with a spiel about how players were abusing the data and all moving to high population servers. The reality of it was that Braid McQuaid and others left SOE/Verant and they didn't want to give away free market research to their now competitors.

Dislikes are the same thing, except without people leaving Google.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I definitely feel removing dislikes was a corporate demand far more than a grassroots one.

I agree, if only because I doubt youtube would bow to a grassroots demand liks that

Yeah, this is 100% a thing about money. How many trailers and advertisements and announcements for shitty projects or campaigns or ideas have been pounded flat with dislikes? Which naturally drives away advertiser interest, which then drives away revenue.

Strip away the dislikes and Youtube can do whatever the fuck they want with placing whatever you want wherever you pay them to place it and nobody can pile the shit on it that it deserves. Same shit with Netflix removing the star rating system because they overpaid for an awful comedy special that bombed hard; they don't give a damn about how anybody feels about the rating, they just want to be able to drive more revenue by obscuring how shittily any given item is actually viewed.

Dislikes are, in most cases, based on either "someone bought the most bot hits" or "lol everyone else is so I should shit on it too". Or y'know, "Cortana isn't blue enough", or "why is Starfire black" or "why isn't Faye wearing less" or... It's the same thing with star reviews; they just don't matter 99% of the time, because '1 star, my internet went out" or "1 star, too woke", or "5 stars, standing up to them libtards". Without the commentary to go with, you have no idea whatsoever why a user rated 1 star or 5 stars. So, does this have 500k dislikes because it's shit, or because 4chan decided it was their new chewtoy?

The entire point of dislike bombing is to drive people away from the content. If "many dislikes = I don't watch it", that worked. If you have to actually add text (a comment, review body, etc) then these things are still possible, but much easier to identify.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.