Options

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Accidental post

Hevach on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Accidental post

The question is, what was the real content of this post before it was so conveniently whitewashed?!

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    On a totally different note, I was talking to a coworker who once met a moose denialist.

Yes, as in, the guy claimed that moose weren't real, all the stories of these giant deer-things in the wooded northlands were lies and hoaxes, like people claiming they saw Bigfoot or had mounted jackelopes or something.

The coworker thought this was a bit the guy was doing, but found out it was real when there was a gap of a few months when he didn't see the guy, and then after the gap the guy was all "MOOSE ARE REAL! THEY'RE HUGE!" in tones of awe and discovery. Turns out, other people around the guy got tired of the denialism and took him on a hunting trip north so he could actually see a dang moose out in the wild. And he did, and he was cured of this one conspiracy theory.

If only the rest of them could be fixed so easily.
    To be fair, moose are larger than you would think. Like, I was never a moose denialist, but "MOOSE ARE REAL! THEY'RE HUGE!" is a fair translation of the first time I saw one up close, and up close is relative because you should stay the fuck away from moose.
    They are huge. Huger than you would think. Huger than you.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I was once at a cottage with friends when we saw what appeared to be a juvenile moose roaming around on the street (I assume at least, based on the lack of antlers and comparatively slender build in contrast to pictures/videos I’ve seen of massive adults, I suppose it might have been a female but I’m not an expert, point was it was huge) and it still was a fucking massive creature.

We gave it a healthy and respectful distance as we quietly watched, and not only are they huge, they’re faster than one might expect for a creature that size.

Moose are definitely not to be trifled with.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Accidental post

The question is, what was the real content of this post before it was so conveniently whitewashed?!

Accidental on my part, my three year old was intentionally trying to "send grandma a text" and managed to post "WA"

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Accidental post

Accidental on my part, my three year old was intentionally trying to "send grandma a text" and managed to post "WA"

How convenient that an accidental post started a new page, hiding the truth about moose denialism. Very convenient for moose denialism denialism indeed!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The real moose conspiracy is that they're not actually called "moose".

The animal known as "moose" in North America (Alces alces) has been known since time immemorial as "elk" in Eurasia (in my langauge, we call them "elg"). The animal known as "elk" in North America is an entirely different animal, Cervus canadensis.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

The animal known as "moose" in North America (Alces alces) has been known since time immemorial as "elk" in Eurasia (in my langauge, we call them "elg"). The animal known as "elk" in North America is an entirely different animal, Cervus canadensis.

Naah, that's just the usual weirdness of language. No conspiracy there. I would have to be on it, so I would know.
    Also, "Orignal" is clearly superior to a stupid name like "Élan".

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Naah, that's just the usual weirdness of language. No conspiracy there. I would have to be on it, so I would know.
    Also, "Orignal" is clearly superior to a stupid name like "Élan".

I'm aware it's not actually a conspiracy.

"Moose" is derived from a Native language (uneducated English settlers being unfamiliar with the elk), while better educated English settlers in a region with no "moose" gave a local animal the name "elk" because it vaguely resembled the familiar elk.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    On a totally different note, I was talking to a coworker who once met a moose denialist.

Yes, as in, the guy claimed that moose weren't real, all the stories of these giant deer-things in the wooded northlands were lies and hoaxes, like people claiming they saw Bigfoot or had mounted jackelopes or something.

The coworker thought this was a bit the guy was doing, but found out it was real when there was a gap of a few months when he didn't see the guy, and then after the gap the guy was all "MOOSE ARE REAL! THEY'RE HUGE!" in tones of awe and discovery. Turns out, other people around the guy got tired of the denialism and took him on a hunting trip north so he could actually see a dang moose out in the wild. And he did, and he was cured of this one conspiracy theory.

If only the rest of them could be fixed so easily.
    To be fair, moose are larger than you would think. Like, I was never a moose denialist, but "MOOSE ARE REAL! THEY'RE HUGE!" is a fair translation of the first time I saw one up close, and up close is relative because you should stay the fuck away from moose.
    They are huge. Huger than you would think. Huger than you.

They've got some in the local zoo, it is hilarious to me to imagine someone that denies they exist... but it does make me think of my daughter when she was very young and when she was shocked to learn that raccoons were real vs cute pretend masked animals.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    But I guess back on topic topic...

It misleads everyone to call movements like Qanon "conspiracy theories". We need a better vocabulary. Q is a violent extremist movement which advocates mass violence against political foes and the overthrow of democracy. What we call the 'conspiracy theories" are just the plot lines that **justify** the mass violence.

Josh Marshall is the founder and editor of Talking Points Memo and is generally on-point in his observations of the right-wing.

Yeah. Q contains conspiracy theories, contains basically all the conspiracy theories in a big ball of crazy, but Qanon as a whole is more like a terrorism cult. The conspiracy theories are their rationalizations for why they must obey the cult and slaughter everybody else. There's no point in trying to understand or study the crazy because 1) we can't, and 2) that's not the point anyway. These are just people looking for any excuse to kill their neighbors, strangers, and exes who got custody of the kids. The focus should be that they are a deadly dangerous threat, not that they're whackadoodle.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So QAnon is some kind of... religion?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    So QAnon is some kind of... religion?
    It's a cult.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    They're a militant apocalyptic death cult. The Storm is their version of the Rapture.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Wapiti (what are known as north american elk, though they aren’t exclusive to the americas) are neat because they actually have a lot higher high temperature tolerance than other large deer relatives. They were hunted to extinction in the American southeast back in the 1800s but are one of the big success stories of reintroduction, probably because unlike the red and grey wolves locals don’t consider them much of a threat and they have a strong presence in local folklore. (As an aside, no one in the southeast ever really realizes that if the native red and grey wolves could be allowed to reestablish themselves then maybe there wouldn’t be millions of coyotes running around, but oh well).

Linguistic confusion seems common among deer-like species. Reindeer and caribou are the same animal with different names depending on what side of the Atlantic you are on, and Pronghorn Antelope aren’t actually antelopes but something else entirely.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    What I wish to find out is, due to moose being known to swim across large bodies of water, are one of their major predators...orcas?

I read it once, and I should research it....

Edit, from Wikipedia:
    Killer whales (Orcinus orca) are the moose's only known marine predator as they have been known to prey on moose swimming between islands out of North America's Northwest Coast, however, there is at least one recorded instance of a moose preyed upon by a Greenland shark.

:bigfrown:

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    What I wish to find out is, due to moose being known to swim across large bodies of water, are one of their major predators...orcas?

I read it once, and I should research it....

Edit, from Wikipedia:
    Killer whales (Orcinus orca) are the moose's only known marine predator as they have been known to prey on moose swimming between islands out of North America's Northwest Coast, however, there is at least one recorded instance of a moose preyed upon by a Greenland shark.

:bigfrown:

My life is better for knowing this information Muzzmuzz, thank you

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    All this moose denial reminds me of a story on This American Life that’s kinda the inverse. Let me see if I can find it.

Here we go:
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/293/transcript
    Most of the common childhood myths, like that babies come from storks, get corrected sooner or later. They're not obscure enough to sneak into adulthood unscrutinized. But occasionally, even a very popular childhood myth can make it through, like unicorns.

Kristy Kruger
    In my head, a unicorn wasn't really any different than a zebra.

Alex Blumberg
    This is Kristy Kruger.

Kristy Kruger
    I mean, in terms of believability, I think the unicorn is really ahead of the dinosaur.

Alex Blumberg
    What do you mean?

Kristy Kruger
    Well, I mean, when you think about a dinosaur from a kid's perspective, a dinosaur is these really large, monstrous animals roaming the Earth. And then you have a unicorn, which is basically just a horse with a horn.

Alex Blumberg
    As Kristy Kruger grew up, she says that if she ever thought about unicorns, they were on a grassy plane somewhere in Africa, drinking from a watering hole with the wildebeest and the impala. And then one night, she found herself in a conversation at a party.

Kristy Kruger
    It was about a group of five to seven people, kind of standing around the keg, just talking. And somehow a discussion of endangered species came up, in which I posed the question, is the unicorn endangered or extinct? And basically, there was a big gap of silence.

Alex Blumberg
    As you might be gathering, at some point in all these stories, you come to a big gap of silence.

Kristy Kruger
    And then everybody laughed. And then that laughter was followed by more silence when they realized I wasn't laughing. And I was like, yeah, oh God, unicorns aren't real? Oh no.

maraji on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    She makes a good point with Dinosaurs. As a kid you are taught that these enormous lizards that were more like birds, that have no wings or feathers, some of which were several stories tall, roamed the earth in huge numbers and went extinct when a meteor wiped out life on the planet.

A horse with a horn seems trivial to believe in after that, especially if no one corrects them.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hey they are in the Bible (it was most likely simply a mistranslation of Aurochs or Rhinoceros, but it’s still funny to hear fundies occasionally bring up that unicorns were around in Biblical times).

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    She makes a good point with Dinosaurs. As a kid you are taught that these enormous lizards that were more like birds, that have no wings or feathers, some of which were several stories tall, roamed the earth in huge numbers and went extinct when a meteor wiped out life on the planet.

A horse with a horn seems trivial to believe in after that, especially if no one corrects them.

I mean, especially with all the things with antlers around. It seems very plausible as something that could have evolved but didn't?

As to where stories of unicorns come from, there are certainly enough animals that could have been telephone gamed into it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    you see an opposite effect sometimes, where people think narwhals are imaginary

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I am opposed to horseshoe theory - even if the extreme left and right reach the same position, the fact that they get there from different angles is important. But reality really keeps pressing the point:

What a sentence:

“Gwyneth Paltrow and Alex Jones sell the same dietary supplement under different names (“Sex Dust” and “Super Male Vitality,” respectively).”
    The author is an editor for Bitch Media.

I'm confused. Which one of them is Sex Dust and which one is Super Male Vitality?

For some reason I feel like Alex Jones is more likely to call himself Sex Dust than Paltrow.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    you see an opposite effect sometimes, where people think narwhals are imaginary

They are.

And...people are also imaginary.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I am opposed to horseshoe theory - even if the extreme left and right reach the same position, the fact that they get there from different angles is important. But reality really keeps pressing the point:

What a sentence:

“Gwyneth Paltrow and Alex Jones sell the same dietary supplement under different names (“Sex Dust” and “Super Male Vitality,” respectively).”

I'm confused. Which one of them is Sex Dust and which one is Super Male Vitality?

For some reason I feel like Alex Jones is more likely to call himself Sex Dust than Paltrow.

Those are the names of the products, not a fake name they are selling the product under. Alex Jones would clearly be the one selling "Super Male Vitality" I would imagine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

What a sentence:

Those are the names of the products, not a fake name they are selling the product under. Alex Jones would clearly be the one selling "Super Male Vitality" I would imagine.

I mean the text literally says that they sell the same supplement under different names and I refuse to accept any textual interpretation doesn't mean that Paltrow and Jones team up as a drug pusher duo that go by the monikers "Sex Dust and Super Male Vitality" when they go out selling St. Johns Wort or Centrum A to Z or something.

• Options
    On the recent discussion of "alternative medicine," negative ionic wellness products are pretty common things and historically it's been assumed there just inert nothings, as covered in this Veritasium video on Himalayan salt lamps, they're basically just pretty lamps and do nothing.

https://youtu.be/ZQ--scjcAZ4

However, there's a dark side of these negative ion products, because some of them actually DO something... Because they're full of Thorium and are pumping you full of ionizing radiation.

https://youtu.be/C7TwBUxxIC0
    https://youtu.be/3BA5bw1EV5I

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    "full" is something of an exaggeration. Those products are horribly horribly designed and should not exist, but the actual dose is still fairly low. It's only the fact that they're designed to be around you 24/7 that makes them risky.

Well except for the one filled with powdered oxide wtf

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Not really much of an exaggeration. As he shows, the three pack of bracelets and necklace, all three parts are around 1/4 to 3/4 of the safe annual cumulative dose each, and they're very concentrated in a small area rather than a full body dose.

The underwear is an interesting one, because it's multiple times the safe dose if you wear it all year and it's all intentionally around your testicles.

The "ion stick" meant to make water "more wet" is scary, since it's got thorium dioxide powder in a metal tube with no gasket of any kind that you're supposed to stick in your drinks.

Edit: to add I got interested in this last week when the Nuclear Regulatory Commission showed up at the pulmonologist office where my wife works and took their air purifier away and handed the doctor a six digit fine. My wife initially complained to OSHA when I helper her identify the thing as an ozone generator and likely responsible for the multiple ER trips she and her coworkers have had to make, and OSHA determined it wasn't their jurisdiction and left it there for two weeks... Not mentioning that the reason it wasn't their jurisdiction was that it had a half pound cobalt source in it until the NRC showed up with a hazmat team to take it. That such a device was even a THING sent me about twelve hours down the research rabbit hole and came out in thorium health products.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Wait those stupid things actually have thorium in them? I figured they were just fans but wasting more electricity on some extra fixture. That's amazing...

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Wait those stupid things actually have thorium in them? I figured they were just fans but wasting more electricity on some extra fixture. That's amazing...

Do you mean the "air purifier"?

Most of them are just a fan and a filter, but ozone generators are really common. Those usually use an electrical arc to generate ozone, which is toxic and multiple agencies will fine you for exposing humans to it on purpose.

But then there's air ionizers, this one was both an ozone generator and an ionizer. There's a lot of ways these work and only about half of them are radioactive, some do nothing, and some use a grille like an ion rocket, but just feeding mixed gas air through doesn't accomplish much.

The radioactive ones come in a lot of variations including thorium, radium, and apparently depleted medical cobalt like this one at my wife's work. Which is hella illegal but I was able to find them for sale online.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Half a *pound* of cobalt? I presume not Cobalt-60. I hope?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Not really much of an exaggeration. As he shows, the three pack of bracelets and necklace, all three parts are around 1/4 to 3/4 of the safe annual cumulative dose each, and they're very concentrated in a small area rather than a full body dose.

The underwear is an interesting one, because it's multiple times the safe dose if you wear it all year and it's all intentionally around your testicles.

The "ion stick" meant to make water "more wet" is scary, since it's got thorium dioxide powder in a metal tube with no gasket of any kind that you're supposed to stick in your drinks.

Edit: to add I got interested in this last week when the Nuclear Regulatory Commission showed up at the pulmonologist office where my wife works and took their air purifier away and handed the doctor a six digit fine. My wife initially complained to OSHA when I helper her identify the thing as an ozone generator and likely responsible for the multiple ER trips she and her coworkers have had to make, and OSHA determined it wasn't their jurisdiction and left it there for two weeks... Not mentioning that the reason it wasn't their jurisdiction was that it had a half pound cobalt source in it until the NRC showed up with a hazmat team to take it. That such a device was even a THING sent me about twelve hours down the research rabbit hole and came out in thorium health products.

:bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown:

I actually have a couple of salt lamps. My mom got mildly alarmed until I explained that I have them because they're pretty and I like them, not because of negative ions or whatever. That yellow-pink glow is seriously cosy tho :heartbeat:

• Options
    It wasn't medical grade stuff, bit it's not the cobalt that's on my good drill bits, either. Neither the manufacturer nor the paperwork my wife got specifies what it is, but her boss says it was depleted medical cobalt, meaning a whole soup of radioactive daughter products that requires centuries of deep storage. He also thinks it was totally fine and safe, too, so I'm not sure how clear he understands what it is OR what depleted cobalt is.

Calica, salt lamps fall under the first video: they do nothing in terms of radioactivity or ions or anything, they're just harmless decorative lamps. And you got it to be just that so enjoy.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Half a *pound* of cobalt? I presume not Cobalt-60. I hope?

Looking into the applications of cobalt isotopes? Haha nope, you hope wrong. That's the isotope that was used as a medical gamma source.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So, this is horrifying.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/2021/02/08/someone-tried-to-poison-oldsmars-water-supply-during-hack-sheriff-says/

Someone remotely connected to a computer in the city's water treatment center and tried to increase the amount of lye in the water (used to control acidity in very low amounts) by 100x. It was immediately caught, reverted, and remote access turned off, but police don't know who did it or why. Possibly even creepier, the dude on duty literally watched the remote access happen, that someone took control of the mouse, navigated around and fucked with the chemical amounts. There are supposedly other safeguards in place, and redundant checks that would have caught and blocked any tainted water from entering the public supply, but a disturbing reminder that a shitload of our basic needs and utilities are basically unguarded against hostile actors.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    So, this is horrifying.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/2021/02/08/someone-tried-to-poison-oldsmars-water-supply-during-hack-sheriff-says/

Someone remotely connected to a computer in the city's water treatment center and tried to increase the amount of lye in the water (used to control acidity in very low amounts) by 100x. It was immediately caught, reverted, and remote access turned off, but police don't know who did it or why. Possibly even creepier, the dude on duty literally watched the remote access happen, that someone took control of the mouse, navigated around and fucked with the chemical amounts. There are supposedly other safeguards in place, and redundant checks that would have caught and blocked any tainted water from entering the public supply, but a disturbing reminder that a shitload of our basic needs and utilities are basically unguarded against hostile actors.

I think this is the wrong thread for this?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I actually have a couple of salt lamps. My mom got mildly alarmed until I explained that I have them because they're pretty and I like them, not because of negative ions or whatever. That yellow-pink glow is seriously cosy tho :heartbeat:

The was a story in the newspaper here about a lady who's cat died from kidney failure because it would lick her salt lamp.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Mortious wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

The was a story in the newspaper here about a lady who's cat died from kidney failure because it would lick her salt lamp.

I know they can be dangerous for pets for that reason, yeah. I don't have any furry animals, and my birds aren't the least bit interested in the lamps :smile:

edit: I know they're not radioactive. The D: in my last post were specifically for the ozone generator in the lung doctor's office.

Calica on
  • Options
    Cats have tiny kidneys and hardly any liver, they're honestly lucky they don't get poisoned taking a deep breath.