Options

Quarantimes 2: Quarantine Harder

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I should really look into some different instapot recipes than my "usual" ones. Though by usual I mean I haven't used it since May and my kitchen has essentially been in constant battle against entropic ennui since then. Just enough cleaning to remain acceptable without sliding all the way into environmental hazard.

A curry would be good. Secret Satan last/this year did give me a bunch of the spices and seasonings that go into it along with a book of Indian recipes, though those unfortunately don't translate into instapot instructions.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    my pantry staples (as in, things I am never out of and will buy an extra bottle of before finishing the first just to ensure I'm never out of them) are
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point, it's working itself up to be a legitimate concern.

Hmm alright let me see. Aside from the spice cabinet which is its own (massive, extensive) thing, I've got:
    - Chicken bouillon
    - Honey
    - Peanut butter
    - Canned diced tomatoes
    - Canned black beans
    - Soy sauce
    - Lemon juice
    - Lime juice
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - Curry paste

Also like, some true staple-ish stuff, y'know, rice, lentils, butter, what have you.

For me, it'd be roughly the same:

Chicken and beef stock
    Peanut butter
    Strawberry and/or cherry jam
    Canned diced tomatoes
    Canned black beans
    Crushed tomatoes
    Two types of soy sauce - the cheap garbage for using as an ingredient, and a nicer one for dips and things
    Maple syrup (though we buy enough from local suppliers during the syrup season to last the year, usually)
    Sesame oil
    Worcestershire sauce
    White and apple cider vinegars
    Gochujang
    Ketchup (Heinz for ingredients, and a local one for regular use)
    Hot sauce (Tabasco, and some local chipotle/habanero ones)
    Frank's Red Hot
    Lemon and Lime Juices

We have more stuff in there of course, but nothing I'd rush out to replace right away

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    my pantry staples (as in, things I am never out of and will buy an extra bottle of before finishing the first just to ensure I'm never out of them) are
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point, it's working itself up to be a legitimate concern.

Hmm alright let me see. Aside from the spice cabinet which is its own (massive, extensive) thing, I've got:
    - Chicken bouillon
    - Honey
    - Peanut butter
    - Canned diced tomatoes
    - Canned black beans
    - Soy sauce
    - Lemon juice
    - Lime juice
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - Curry paste

Also like, some true staple-ish stuff, y'know, rice, lentils, butter, what have you.

Aside from staple foods and some spices I've got shoyu, Worcestershire sauce, honey, ketchup, mustard (the usual yellow stuff and a tube of Finnish stuff that one of my roommates left, pretty sure it hasn't gone over), mirin, and oyster sauce. I don't usually buy peanut butter unless it's for a hurricane kit these days.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the only things we constantly keep in the house are like, olive oil, a shit ton of different spices, fish sauce, soy sauce. Stuff to cook with. Spice mixes too, I know we always have shichimi togarashi and ras el hanout on hand.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would love to eat some curry

There isn't a place nearby to order it from

Is it difficult to make?

A basic curry is dead easy. Curries reward time and effort so there’s a lot of space to level up, but you don’t need much experience to get something pretty tasty.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think the only things we constantly keep in the house are like, olive oil, a shit ton of different spices, fish sauce, soy sauce. Stuff to cook with. Spice mixes too, I know we always have shichimi togarashi and ras el hanout on hand.

Yeah my spice drawer is pretty well stocked and I keep those up as well but listing them, well we’d be here all day really.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Is it difficult to make?

not really no, depends on the type

So when I make a curry, I use the below often as my spicy base

couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds
    a teaspoon of black mustard seeds
    a teaspoon or two of finely crushed garlic
    a teaspoon of ground ginger
    and then two tablespoons of curry powder.

(Now you can make your own curry powder, and sometimes I do, from turmeric, ground chilli powder, cumin, ginger, ground pepper etc, but if you get a good curry powder it makes no difference and really who can be arsed if it doesn't make a difference? My best friend's gf is Indian and she basically says that she has tested making her own and just buying it off the shelf on her own mother (who's cooking is pretty conservative apparently) and she can't tell the difference. So based on that, these days, I tend to just buy it off the shelf.)

Tablespoon of oil in a pan, mix all that in, and then stir fry it for like a minute. Then I often add in some finely chopped onions and peppers, maybe chilis, dash of lemon juice, fry them up with some salt and pepper for a few minutes, then add in a tin of chopped tomatoes, and there's my curry base. Which I can add various things to, adjust the flavours, spice it up or whatever. I always find that if you mix your spice base like that and stir fry it for a minute or so on a medium heat, that works best for flavour.

For example, I'll often put in chickpeas with that then when it's all nice and thickened (8-10 minutes after putting the chickpeas and tomatoes in usually) I'll put in half a bag of spinach, let it wilt, then spoon it into bowls as a nice thick chickpea and spinach curry. And at the same time I'll have hard boiled a couple of eggs, peel them, slice them in half and put them on top with some coriander. Pretty easy and delicious to make. And if you go to a good international supermarket you can get bags of those spices for fuck all, basically, like pennies.

Solar on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Fuck I am absolutely horny for curry right now

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Fuck I am absolutely horny for curry right now

Do it man

get a curry

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    don't fuck the curry

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I can't. I'm at work. I can maybe go get stuff to make a curry Wednesday but I probably won't have time.

The best Indian place near me is kinda expensive, like a chicken tikka masala and maybe a naan, after delivery is pushing $30. I may see about a pick up tonight though if I can cause gatdamn I said gatdamn

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Juggernut you should fuck up some Vindaloo. And a samosa.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm feeling hungry

But I dunno what to eat

Time for a cheeky Nando's and a couple of pints, wahey matey!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    We uh

We got multiple types of peanut butter in the cupboard

Though one of them is a Fancy Local Maple Salt Peanut Butter One and the other is plain ol' Kraft we can share with the dogs

Please, please elaborate because I want this very, very much.

• Options
    I'm feeling hungry

But I dunno what to eat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNvytMcVlLQ

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Is it difficult to make?

Because I am lucky enough to have not only been born in a country colonised by the English so curry is basically a fucking staple, but we also have had a shitload of immigration over the last 100+ years from countries where curry is a way of life, making a curry in Australia is ridiculously fucking easy.

If you're lazy and a bum like me, there are perfectly good pre-prepped curry meals available to buy from supermarkets, where you get a few pouches of various spices and things, and you just follow some steps (fry powder in sachet #1, brown 'protein' in same pan, add sachet #2 & #3, simmer for 5 minutes, add chopped vegetables and contents of sachet #4, a cup of water, and simmer for half an hour, serve on rice), hell, even fucking jar meals can be fairly good. Fuck, I can buy 2 pounds of chicken korma in a tub from ALDI, just make some rice, heat up a serve of the korma in the microwave, and it tastes fine.

No it's not restaurant quality, but it was $3 and 10 minutes of your time for the meal.

I dunno how things are for you in the 'States, but if you want I can mail you some pretty fucking decent pre-prepped curry thingos where all you have to do is add the protein and the veggies and simmer it in a pan, like thus.

• Options

Is it difficult to make?

not really no, depends on the type

So when I make a curry, I use the below often as my spicy base

couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds
    a teaspoon of black mustard seeds
    a teaspoon or two of finely crushed garlic
    a teaspoon of ground ginger
    and then two tablespoons of curry powder.

(Now you can make your own curry powder, and sometimes I do, from turmeric, ground chilli powder, cumin, ginger, ground pepper etc, but if you get a good curry powder it makes no difference and really who can be arsed if it doesn't make a difference? My best friend's gf is Indian and she basically says that she has tested making her own and just buying it off the shelf on her own mother (who's cooking is pretty conservative apparently) and she can't tell the difference. So based on that, these days, I tend to just buy it off the shelf.)

Tablespoon of oil in a pan, mix all that in, and then stir fry it for like a minute. Then I often add in some finely chopped onions and peppers, maybe chilis, dash of lemon juice, fry them up with some salt and pepper for a few minutes, then add in a tin of chopped tomatoes, and there's my curry base. Which I can add various things to, adjust the flavours, spice it up or whatever. I always find that if you mix your spice base like that and stir fry it for a minute or so on a medium heat, that works best for flavour.

For example, I'll often put in chickpeas with that then when it's all nice and thickened (8-10 minutes after putting the chickpeas and tomatoes in usually) I'll put in half a bag of spinach, let it wilt, then spoon it into bowls as a nice thick chickpea and spinach curry. And at the same time I'll have hard boiled a couple of eggs, peel them, slice them in half and put them on top with some coriander. Pretty easy and delicious to make. And if you go to a good international supermarket you can get bags of those spices for fuck all, basically, like pennies.

I have 5 different curry powders in my pantry right now. I often combine them all!

• Options
    I'm feeling hungry

But I dunno what to eat

If I win the lottery I'm coming over to visit you and we're definitely having Nando's for dinner!

either that, or a pie from Greggs.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    We uh

Though one of them is a Fancy Local Maple Salt Peanut Butter One and the other is plain ol' Kraft we can share with the dogs

Specifically, this one!

https://burrowshop.buchipop.com/collections/pantry/products/logan-petit-lot-peanut-maple-sea-salt-270g

They're a Montreal company but that's close enough for me to consider local, haha. (The Burrowshop mostly sells Ottawa-area farmers' market stuff, but they've been branching out to some other small businesses to add to their local grocery delivery. Been a nice addition to our kitchen since the pandemic started to get a few fancy food items each pay!)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I often combine them all too, and I probably should make my own more, but Osman's International Supermarket is five minutes walk up the road and they will sell me like a kilo of great curry powder for like, a quid fifty so

• Options
    as a person who is allergic to peanuts, I feel very personally attacked by this thread right now

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    as a person who is allergic to peanuts, I feel very personally attacked by this thread right now

Why?

• Options
    I'm feeling hungry

But I dunno what to eat

If I win the lottery I'm coming over to visit you and we're definitely having Nando's for dinner!

either that, or a pie from Greggs.

We can have both in one day!

• Options
    Also good god this Achari is fucking delicious

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    We uh

Specifically, this one!

https://burrowshop.buchipop.com/collections/pantry/products/logan-petit-lot-peanut-maple-sea-salt-270g

They're a Montreal company but that's close enough for me to consider local, haha. (The Burrowshop mostly sells Ottawa-area farmers' market stuff, but they've been branching out to some other small businesses to add to their local grocery delivery. Been a nice addition to our kitchen since the pandemic started to get a few fancy food items each pay!)

Local delivery only, damn. I was really hoping to get something like that incorporated into an ice cream. I've been doing experiments on my own using a mixture of maple butter, maple syrup and peanut butter and the texture comes out weird because the syrup crystallizes and hardens before the texture of the ice cream comes out right, but using just maple butter doesn't get the flavor quite right.

• Options

Why?

I am of course not serious, but was referring to the extended peanut product conversation

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

Why?

I am of course not serious, but was referring to the extended peanut product conversation

I was slightly concerned you were thinking of peanut Korma as "curry", and was going to assure you that there are like 500 different types of curry from all over the globe and very few of them have peanuts in them (including Korma), but I see you're WAY ahead of me, as is good and right and normal.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My go to snack is a peanutbutter and honey sandwich

this but with banana slices in there too

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I am very proud to have actually influenced you to get a curry. And achari is one of my favourites so I'm happy you enjoyed it. I am pleased with these events!

• Options

I am very proud to have actually influenced you to get a curry. And achari is one of my favourites so I'm happy you enjoyed it. I am pleased with these events!

I am pleased that you are pleased, and grateful for your excellent suggestion, which has led me to so much joy

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh, there's a nineteenth page, how intriguing

Straightzi on
  • Options

Why?

I was slightly concerned you were thinking of peanut Korma as "curry", and was going to assure you that there are like 500 different types of curry from all over the globe and very few of them have peanuts in them (including Korma), but I see you're WAY ahead of me, as is good and right and normal.

oh, no I fuckin love curry, I'd have it daily for lunch when I was in Kyoto

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

In watching the video, the waivers are voluntary, attending class in-person is voluntary. Seems like they're looking to catch some people unawares and have them sign the waiver for...no reason, I guess.

Note basically that a Hold Harmless is something you should basically never sign unless it involves your vehicle being impounded after an accident or talking to a lawyer first.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Is it difficult to make?

Because I am lucky enough to have not only been born in a country colonised by the English so curry is basically a fucking staple, but we also have had a shitload of immigration over the last 100+ years from countries where curry is a way of life, making a curry in Australia is ridiculously fucking easy.

If you're lazy and a bum like me, there are perfectly good pre-prepped curry meals available to buy from supermarkets, where you get a few pouches of various spices and things, and you just follow some steps (fry powder in sachet #1, brown 'protein' in same pan, add sachet #2 & #3, simmer for 5 minutes, add chopped vegetables and contents of sachet #4, a cup of water, and simmer for half an hour, serve on rice), hell, even fucking jar meals can be fairly good. Fuck, I can buy 2 pounds of chicken korma in a tub from ALDI, just make some rice, heat up a serve of the korma in the microwave, and it tastes fine.

No it's not restaurant quality, but it was $3 and 10 minutes of your time for the meal.

I dunno how things are for you in the 'States, but if you want I can mail you some pretty fucking decent pre-prepped curry thingos where all you have to do is add the protein and the veggies and simmer it in a pan, like thus.

Very generous offer, @chrishallett83 , thank you

I have seen some curry kits, I guess you would call them , at the supermarket

Thinking about it, I think I mad and ate one about a year ago, it involved potatoes and chicken, I think

I'll see if I can find a kit at the store this week

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Alright I'm making curry tonight, you monsters.

Also a thing I have always been afraid to ask: what is a cheeky nando?

• Options

Is it difficult to make?

Very generous offer, @chrishallett83 , thank you

I have seen some curry kits, I guess you would call them , at the supermarket

Thinking about it, I think I mad and ate one about a year ago, it involved potatoes and chicken, I think

I'll see if I can find a kit at the store this week

See if you can find yourself a good recipe for Aloo Gobi - it's a potato curry from the Gobi region, and it's fucking delicious. Doesn't even have meat, mostly potato, cauliflower, onion, tomato, and some spices.

• Options
    Aloo Gobi is real nice

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Alright I'm making curry tonight, you monsters.

Also a thing I have always been afraid to ask: what is a cheeky nando?

It's a (dated) meme, really

ahgdc8rzsp4r.png

Nandos is just a foot outlet that does cheap but okay food of like a portuguese-african style, and it's stereotypically popular amongst groups of lads before they go out on the piss. But realistically speaking it's just a restaurant chain. A "cheeky" Nandos is just, like, a cheeky pint or a cheeky trip down to the pub or indeed a cheeky anything, cheeky's just a bit of slang with no direct translation, it's just like a bit of fun I guess? Cheeky Nandos then lads? etc

Solar on
  • Options
    Aloo Gobi is real nice

And very simple, and quite easy to make, AND vegan friendly!

This discussion has been closed.