you guys cannot help yourselves

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Peanut butter?

why would I want to do that

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Huge globulous clumps of peanutbutter is a perfectly good and awesome snack, Nic what are you trying to say?

• Options
    I don't even have peanut butter in the house, come on

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Peanut butter?

Because like one spoonful will satiate you until your next meal.
    tynic wrote: »
    Peanut butter?

this is the most American thing to default to
    you guys cannot help yourselves

It's an ideal snack because you can eat a very small amount and stop feeling hungry and go about your business.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Peanut butter?

Because like one spoonful will satiate you until your next meal.

Hahaha oh wait you're serious

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Is peanut butter a particularly American thing? I didn't know that.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar get ye a curry

• Options
    Solar get ye a curry

shit now I want a curry

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Problem solved

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I know it's also wildly popular in Canada and supposedly some parts of Mexico, according to my friends.

Anyway, the best snacks are things with no carbs and a bunch of fat and protein so you can eat a tiny amount and feel satiated and move on without needing to suck down a bunch of calories.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah, my understanding is that outside the U.S. peanut butter is both less prevalent and kinda bad. Kinda like how most American chocolate is kinda garbage to the rest of the world.

• Options
    We do not export any of our good things, it's true. We're quite selfish.

• Options
    We have fine peanut butter. I like peanut butter, I just wouldn't default to it as a snack. It's too gacky.

• Options
    We have peanut butter in the rest of the world

We just aren't quite as obsessed with it as people seemingly are in North America

People don't just have it in the house. If I went to someone's house and they said "want a sandwich" and I was like "yeah, what you got" I would be surprised if they said "peanut butter" like who has that just, around

• Options
    I do! It's good on toast!

• Options

right but you know what I mean

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    We uh

We got multiple types of peanut butter in the cupboard

Though one of them is a Fancy Local Maple Salt Peanut Butter One and the other is plain ol' Kraft we can share with the dogs

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2020

I like peanut butter (especially crunchy) but not enough to actually buy it
    Every now and then I'll get some mad impulse to make peanut butter cookies (I don't know why, I never end up enjoying them) and then I'll buy a jar and then over the next year I might have peanut butter toast six or seven times. That's nice!
    but it's not something I'll stock as a regular pantry item.

edit: solar in US supermarkets they have installations set up where you can grind your own peanut butter
    the Americas are fucking obsessed with the stuff. Well the northern ones, anyway.

tynic on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The most interesting part of that to me is I can't imagine having peanut butter anywhere other than a house.

Like, I don't really eat it very often, sometimes I will do the spoonful of peanut butter as a bad snack or whatever. I think my partner eats it a bit more, but not even as like, a frequent planned thing.

But we always have it in the cupboard, it is a staple in that way. Just something you have around, like soy sauce or bouillon cubes or whatever. And that's kind of the whole of its existence, it's not like, something you see out in the world very often or anything like that.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Oh man I don't know what kind of curry I want

Achari
    Chicken or Lamb Cooked with Spicy Achar (Indian
    Pickles), Coriander, Garlic, Ginger, Tomatoes, Spices &
    Herbs.

Chef Special Balti
    Marinated Chicken Grilled in the Tandoori
    Oven, Then cooked in a Balti Masala Sauce,
    Topped with Fried onions & Peppers

• Options
    It's got to be the Achari right

• Options
    I don't like tomato but yes.

• Options
    The most interesting part of that to me is I can't imagine having peanut butter anywhere other than a house.

Like, I don't really eat it very often, sometimes I will do the spoonful of peanut butter as a bad snack or whatever. I think my partner eats it a bit more, but not even as like, a frequent planned thing.

But we always have it in the cupboard, it is a staple in that way. Just something you have around, like soy sauce or bouillon cubes or whatever. And that's kind of the whole of its existence.

It works well as an ingredient in things too

I love tossing it into fried noodles etc

Steam
  • Options
    That chef special sounds like the way to go to me.

• Options
    My go to snack is a peanutbutter and honey sandwich

• Options
    Well now

Karahi
    A medium spiced dish of fresh garlic, ginger, herbs, grilled chunky onions & peppers cooked in thick sauce, then sizzled in a hot iron wok to seal in the flavours, and mixed

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

But we always have it in the cupboard, it is a staple in that way. Just something you have around, like soy sauce or bouillon cubes or whatever. And that's kind of the whole of its existence.

It works well as an ingredient in things too

I love tossing it into fried noodles etc

Sure, yeah, I guess I've made some peanut sauces and that is a thing that you see out in the world.

I guess my point was more that I don't use peanut butter very often, but it's such a pantry staple that I'll still constantly keep it in stock, just in case.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

My stepdad lived off of those for like eight straight years or something

Like, every single day he would just eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    We do not export any of our good things, it's true. We're quite selfish.

Consume

• Options
    edited August 2020
    my pantry staples (as in, things I am never out of and will buy an extra bottle of before finishing the first just to ensure I'm never out of them) are
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point, it's working itself up to be a legitimate concern.

tynic on
  • Options

I have terrible news but I may be your step-dad some how

• Options
    my pantry staples (as in, things I am never out of and will buy an extra bottle of before finishing the first just to ensure I'm never out of them) are
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point.

I'm at least familiar with most of these (though I haven't cooked with all of them), but what is kecap manis/what do you use it in, typically?

Steam
  • Options

I have terrible news but I may be your step-dad some how

You're not nearly boring enough.

• Options
    Okay I have gone for the Achari cos I've not had it before. Medium hot, should be good

• Options
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point.

I'm at least familiar with most of these (though I haven't cooked with all of them), but what is kecap manis/what do you use it in, typically?

It's a malaysian-style sweet soy sauce, and I usually use it when making indonesian or malay curries, or thai food (it's roughly equivalent to thai black soy sauce).

• Options
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

though the last one is in serious danger because I forgot to stock up when i went back to Australia, but I cringe at the idea of paying the imported price in the US. But I'm gonna have to pull the trigger at some point, it's working itself up to be a legitimate concern.

Hmm alright let me see. Aside from the spice cabinet which is its own (massive, extensive) thing, I've got:
    - Chicken bouillon
    - Honey
    - Peanut butter
    - Canned diced tomatoes
    - Canned black beans
    - Soy sauce
    - Lemon juice
    - Lime juice
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - Curry paste

Also like, some true staple-ish stuff, y'know, rice, lentils, butter, what have you.

• Options
    - chilli oil
    - soy sauce
    - oyster sauce
    - rice vinegar
    - palm sugar
    - tamarind
    - kecap manis
    - fish sauce
    - shrimp paste
    - vegemite

It's a malaysian-style sweet soy sauce, and I usually use it when making indonesian or malay curries, or thai food (it's roughly equivalent to thai black soy sauce).

Hmmm! I was thinking about doing curbside pickup now that the local East Asian supermarket has increased the products they're offering for it, I'll have to see if they have it in stock

Steam
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would love to eat some curry

There isn't a place nearby to order it from

Is it difficult to make?

This discussion has been closed.