As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Checking out the new Soen album today. It's got some good moments, but is it just me or do all their songs kind of sound the same?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    WAIT?? new stam1na album this month???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeO1cUuOfPU

first single

its STAM1NA BABYYYYYYYYY albeit less melodic than the last outing?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Checking out the new Soen album today. It's got some good moments, but is it just me or do all their songs kind of sound the same?

It's not just you, I'm constantly underwhelmed by the Swedish Tool.

autothrall on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    And a damn cool new Cult of Luna EP, with a certain Screaming Tree guesting on a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2cnffejZo&ab_channel=CultofLuna

Ooo, now I want a full length Lanegan / Cult of Luna collaboration. This is reminding me very favorably of his earlier solo albums.

• Options
    Wow, really enjoying the new Anael. They take that stripped down old black metal circa Samael and then do some cool atmospheric things with it throughout the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5VEMRFHVw&ab_channel=IntoEndlessChaosRecords

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I love that Cult of Luna put out a 40 minute album and is like "yes, this is an EP."

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    https://youtu.be/z3NQSqnbBPE

This is worth watching even if you're not a shred fan, if only for Hizaki's epic hat game in the last third of the vid.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nightwish delayed their upcoming March virtual concert to May, and also plan to announce their new bassist around that time.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I love that Cult of Luna put out a 40 minute album and is like "yes, this is an EP."

Reminds me of NIN's "Head Like a Hole" single, where with all the B-sides (even if they were remixes of the A-side), the CD single actually ran longer (50+ minutes) than the accompanying Pretty Hate Machine album.

• Options
    I think a lot of EPs are just branded EPs because they're not meant to be considered a proper full-length from a creativity/productivity standpoint. One of their previous ones, Vertikal II was also like 35 minutes.

But yeah, I can even remember a lot of maxi-singles with a ton of remixes and B-sides thrown on that are longer than albums.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Hell, people still argue if DSO's The Synarchy of Molten Bones should be called an EP or an LP. The band calls it an LP but they've released longer EPs.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Arjen Lucassen just announced he's working on a new Star One album. Unlike the other albums, it's going to have a different vocalist for each song, which kind of makes me sad. {aty of what made Star One fun was having the same four vocalists on each song. I wonder if any of the former vocalists will be returning. I've heard he and Russell Allen had a falling out a few years ago, so he might not be coming back.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Me likey. They also score points for using the original grammatical construction Dante used in naming the second track, though February Funeral is my favorite overall.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    something kind of cool vola are doing with their new single is releasing tabs and stems for the whole song as a kind of "creator pack"

obviously this is partly to generate publicity but its a nice idea in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRr-eJrsTow

EDIT: also ill be real that song is an absolute fucking earworm its fucke dup

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Another Orbit Culture song came across my Youtube feed because I listened to them at some point and I have to say I really fucking hate that band.

It's been quite some time since I didn't just "not dig" a band and have actively gone into vehemently disliking them, but man, they follow a long tradition of bands like Machinehead or Puddle of Mudd where their success is absolutely fucking baffling to me.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    To balance out the negative vibes, I finally got around to Rivers of Nihil's 2018 superprogasfuck album Where Owls Know My Name and it's pretty goddamned glorious, I gotta say. Definitely on the heavier side of prog, with screams that sit somewhere between stereotypical black metal and what Devin Townsend was doing on Alien, but also leaning towards Vader's death rasp often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_WKGTeWH8

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    For me Rivers is all about the sax.

And apparently being quarantined led Unlucky Morpheus to train to One Punch Man levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clB3yOKaayE

Fumiya destroyed this on drums, even getting that screwed-up 19/16 compound meter section right.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    the new The Ruins Of Beverast is great

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Some ripping speed metal from Significant Point.

https://youtu.be/TeR4Ilxr5QU

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Some ripping speed metal from Significant Point.

https://youtu.be/TeR4Ilxr5QU

whoever wrote the copy for that youtube blurb should be kicked in the teeth, lol.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    It's nice to have a newer Japanese band playing in such an old school, blazing style, but I have to say I'm quite surprised at all the hype around it. When I got the promo I didn't think it would set the world on fire; happy to have been wrong! Been seeing it pop up all over the place. It's almost like it intensifies the old Loudness style similar to how Dragonforce sped up and intensified the anthemic Euro Gamma Ray power metal thing. Fun stuff if nothing else.

But yeah, that YouTube copy looks like it's just taken from the Dying Victims sell sheet. Haha.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Being a major fan of old school Loudness and early Concerto Moon, SP is exactly the type of stuff that I want to just inject directly in my veins.

Japan's overall scene maybe the most stacked the last 3-5 years, considering the range of styles their bands are churning out top shelf stuff at a staggering rate. Loudness still going strong, Lovebites, Aldious, and Unlicky Morpheus for female fronted power metal and thrash, Crystal Lake is killing it, Ningen Isu having a powerful rebirth, Babymetal doing whatever you want to call their chaotic clash of styles, etc...

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Alright, fellas. Here are my faves from the batch of albums I've checked out from 1970.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/EthelTheFrog/1970-1/

Not a lot of surprises here, unless anyone isn't familiar with Magma. I kept wanting to add Bitches Brew to this, but every time I went back to it I would get entirely plugged in to the first 2-3 tracks and then it would just sound like noodling after that.

Anyways, hit me with your favorites that you don't see here.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    1970...Just off the top of my head...

Led Zeppelin III
    Uriah Heep Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble
    Bloodrock 2 (especially "DOA")
    Hawkwind s/t
    Atomic Rooster Death Walks Behind You
    Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother
    Lucifer's Friend s/t
    Wishbone Ash s/t
    Genesis Trespass
    Earth and Fire s/t
    Can Soundtracks
    Mountain Climbing!
    Black Widow Sacrifice

I might have the year wrong on a couple of these, if so I apologize, this is before even I was sent kicking and squealing into the universe.

autothrall on
  • Options
    I definitely listened to the Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, and Black Widow. Maybe I'll return to them when I check out the others that you suggested. I was going through so much music that it's inevitable I didn't spend enough time with something great.

• Options
    I've got a couple more:

East of Eden Snafu
    The Doors Morrison Hotel
    Creedence Clearwater Revival Cosmo's Factory
    ZZ Top ZZ Top's First Album

Apparently my tags on the latter are wrong and it came out halfway through Jan '71. Darn.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Only thing I'd add for a 1970 list would be Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's self-titled debut. 1971 is a year i can throw a shitload more out:

Fragile and The Yes Album
    Deep Purple's Fireball
    Pawn Hearts by Van der Graff Generator
    Aqualung
    Tarkus by ELP
    Machine Head by Deep Purple
    etc...

Shit, like Jazz I made a mistake. Machine Head was recorded in 71 but didn't release till Feb of 72.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    1971 is a year i can throw a shitload more out:

Deep Purple's Fireball
    Aqualung
    Tarkus by ELP
    Foxtrot by Genesis
    etc...

I've got all of these lined up for my 1971 batch except for Pawn Hearts. I'll add that.

• Options
    1971 is a year i can throw a shitload more out:

Deep Purple's Fireball
    Aqualung
    Tarkus by ELP
    Foxtrot by Genesis
    etc...

I've got all of these lined up for my 1971 batch except for Pawn Hearts. I'll add that.

Happy listening to you then, my friend.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hmm, for '71 all I've got to throw in besides the aforementioned Fireball are obvious ones:

Black Sabbath Master of Reality
    The Doors L.A. Woman
    Led Zeppelin IV

Edit: and, uh, as previously mentioned, the wonderfully-titled ZZ Top's First Album, now in its correct year.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    My new reaction video addiction is The Charismatic Voice, with opera singer Elizabeth Zharoff who is just an absolute delight. She just put this one up a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNfKn75_C4

A couple more:

She does a lot of non-metal stuff too, all sorts of things.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I like her as well and she is a reactor/reviewer that strikes a great balance of providing a lot of technical info without going overboard on jargon and also not just filling time with monosylabic bullshit or stupid ass catchphrases.

I'm quite happy she kept going back to metal after getting a decent amount of trolling for doing the Buenos Aries Ghost Love Score for her first Nightwish vid. Me and a several others gave her lots of support for doing that one before the Wacken performance, as it let her hear Floor while she was still experimenting on what she could do with the song before perfecting it.

This is one of my favorites

(Warning: long ass and detailed vid ahoy)

https://youtu.be/V6SajE4u8fc

Its precious how she marvels and thirsts after the guns and pecs on Tommy Karevik.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's really been fascinating to watch this whole "random people react to heavy metal/other music" thing evolve over the last few years.

• Options
    Find you someone who looks at you the way Elizabeth looks at amazing musical performances

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Delain has disbanded.

https://i.redd.it/126z3wkd6nh61.jpg

Otto's statement:
    "A year and a day after the last Delain show, it is with heavy heart I inform you all I am no longer part of Delain. Charlotte, Timo and Joey are also no longer part of the band.

I played my very first Delain show in March 2010 in the Garage, London. Almost exactly 10 years later, Timo, Joey and I sent an e-mail to tender our resignation from the band.

Everyone close to us knew that Delain was always a very intense working environment. I could deal with it, because touring with Delain was my biggest passion. And the amazing shows we did, the great fans we had and awesome bands we toured with, all made it worth it. I really started at the bottom when it came to touring, playing for crowds of 10 people, driving thousands of kilometers crammed in a hot and smelly van, and sleeping on the couch at promotor’s houses, so I’ve always been immensely thankful of the level Delain operated on.

In 2018 and 2019 however, the atmosphere in the band deteriorated. This came to an all time low during the 2019 fall tours in the USA and Europe. While these tours were successes in themselves, with great crowd responses, a very good production and amazing road crew, good sales and great (support)bands, it became increasingly clear that Martijn was very unhappy to be on tour, and unhappy about how Delain had developed from his own project, to the band it became. It was obvious to everyone we couldn’t continue in this way.

Joey, Timo and I talked with Martijn and Charlotte at the beginning of 2020, saying we didn’t want to continue with Delain in this way. We proposed Martijn would abstain from long tours, at least for the time being. Those tours were the most intense, and we felt things would be better if he could focus on writing music, both for Delain as well as his long-envisioned side project. Martijn had a different view: he wanted Delain to be his project again, and his proposition was to bring the number of Delain shows down considerably, while degrading Timo, Joey and me to session musicians. Needless to say, that was very different from what we had in mind. It was also quite hurtful to be degraded to session musician after I gave Delain my everything. In March 2020, we concluded we weren’t going to reach a compromise and sent an e-mail tendering our resignation.

A few weeks later, Martijn outlined a proposition for Charlotte, Timo, Joey and me to continue with the band, while he would focus on other things. I was very impressed and humbled by Martijn’s decision to give up his own band, and at the same time very excited at the prospect of continuing Delain with Charlotte, Timo and Joey. For much of 2020, we all hoped Delain would be doing shows again in 2021. Unfortunately, we never came to a deal. We tried to reach middle ground, but we were simply too far apart. I think it’s a real shame and everyone (the fans, Martijn, and us) would have been winning with Charlotte, Timo, Joey and me continuing the band, but I guess it wasn’t supposed to be.

So now, almost a year after I (and Timo, and Joey,) decided to leave Delain, it’s official. Charlotte is also no longer part of Delain, so Martijn will be continuing Delain on his own. Over the past year I’ve been disappointed, furious, heartbroken, frustrated, and most of all I have just really really missed touring. But as you all know, we all happen to be in that same boat. Around the time we decided to quit, COVID-19 became the monster it is today.

This is by no means goodbye. I may be ‘getting too old for this shit’ but have no intention of retiring! I will definitely do everything to be back on the road whenever COVID-19 measures permit shows again. Meanwhile, I’ll be working on play-through videos and I’ll keep sharing my photography adventures.

A lot of the memories I made over the past 10 years are the very best of my life. I want to thank everyone who was a part of it, Delain fans all over the world, bandmates and road crew, and bands we toured with in particular. I wish Charlotte, Timo, Joey and Martijn the very best in the musical adventures that lay ahead of them. For their stories, check out their and Delain's Facebook statements."

Orca on
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's really been fascinating to watch this whole "random people react to heavy metal/other music" thing evolve over the last few years.

I've been glad to see the general sentiment that metal isn't just angryboi music for angryboi manchildren, but that there's an entire universe of absolutely outstanding musical compositions and as a "genre", it's as expansive and vast as you can imagine.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    A few more from 1970 and 1971:

CSNY- Deja Vu (1970)
    Neil Young- After the Gold Rush (1970)
    The Velvet Underground- Loaded (1970)
    Miles Davis- Tribute to Jack Johnson (1971)
    Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers (1971)
    The Who- Who's Next (1971)
    I assume you've already heard Paranoid and Master of Reality?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    I assume you've already heard Paranoid and Master of Reality?

Yep. Paranoid (and the s/t) is already on my 1970 list.

Also, I guess I should clarify that I'm not a total noob. I've been keeping an Excel doc of albums I want to check out for over a decade now. but, in the past, I've been going through it sort of haphazardly; now, I'm going through it chronologically because it's more fun that way. For example, I've been listening to (from my current 1970 list) Black Sabbath, Paranoid, In the Wake of Poseidon, and Kobaïa for a while now. They aren't all new to me.
    For reference, the distribution of my current digital library looks like the below graph. I tend to only keep albums digitally if I'd given them (roughly) a 9/10 or higher (hence the criterion for my RYM lists).
    di7zdixkn4xq.png

This discussion has been closed.