As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    that there looks like someone back in the 1660s accidentally dug up a fossil and gave it to their 7 year old to "put together"

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I was looking at that thinking that I should do a scientific drawing of that guy.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ok so it turns out there was a 100+ year old legend about the cave where those bones were found where a unicorn saved a woman fleeing from an evil, black-clothed murder monk, and afterwards she became a witch. This earned the cave the name “Unicorn Cave.”

So anytime people found fossilized animal bones around that cave, they assumed “unicorn” and in that day, ground up unicorn bones were a useful remedy for all sorts of ailments. This trade in unicorn dust caught the attention of a naturalist who explored the area and found a buncha bones in 1663.

The reconstruction there was completed over a decade later (not sure if by the naturalist who dug them up or someone else using the first guy’s sketches as a guide). Presumably they knew they didn’t have all the bones but did what we all do when we can’t find all the pieces of a Lego set.

It was another 210 years before the site was found to contain the bones of all sorts of creatures, from mammoths to cave bears

• Options
    I want to thank the thread for forcing me to gain this knowledge

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I was looking at that thinking that I should do a scientific drawing of that guy.

You absolutely should consider it, yes. Because I want to see it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Brainleech on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Was reading about cough drops on wikipedia today and came across this excellent sentence:
    In the 19th century, physicians discovered morphine and heroin, which suppress coughing at its source—the brain.

Problem solved.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    "Hiccoughs, ey? Here's a prescription for enough heroin to put you into a coma, that'll show those ornery hiccoughs!"

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    modern RX cough medicine still uses opiates

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    it sure does

edit: it sucks that I have made a Batman no killing vow with regards to opiates because man, back in the day, winter'd hit and I'd get that scratchy throat and fairly launch myself at my family doctor from a catapult.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    no judgment but damn how are you getting exposed to 4-year-old tweets?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned that factoid so I wanted to hunt down where the quote originated.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    well I'm like 99.999% the dude is just joking considering the thread he's quoting, so at least in this case you can probably rest easy

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    In WW1, Allied soldiers could send away to pharmacies for envelopes filled with stamp like paper treated with various drugs like laudanum and you could tear one off and suck on it when needed.

Pretty handy.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
  • Options

Everything is fine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's move in condition. Ready to go.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    oh god all the open grounds

• Options
    oh god there was going to be a Mort movie? we could have had a Mort movie?

"what are you always so upset about?" asks my therapist.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

It would have been a Disney Mort movie though so we might have dodged a large bullet.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's the same potential movie, but Pratchett talked about an exec asking if they could adapt Mort but without Death

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    A kid being an incompetent scarecrow for two hours?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    That concept art is really cool looking though.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Neil Gaiman once said that he didn't believe a movie was really going to be made until he was sitting in the theater with a bucket of popcorn.

Terry Pratchett replied that it would take a lot more than that to convince him.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I can relate.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    god I wish that was me

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that factoid so I wanted to hunt down where the quote originated.

Well to be fair, and to give us all reason to dunk accordingly on James Corden, "one hundred and eighty two" would be written as 100.82, since any use of "and" in verbalizing a number results in numbers in the mantissa.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

Well to be fair, and to give us all reason to dunk accordingly on James Corden, "one hundred and eighty two" would be written as 100.82, since any use of "and" in verbalizing a number results in numbers in the mantissa.

so four score and seven years is 80.7 years?

• Options
    two and two is 2.2

math checks out

• Options
    Neither one of those is verbalizing a number and I feel like you're both trying to attack me with intentional pedantry and it's not going to work!!!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i mean if you're worried about the use of the word and when saying or writing out a number you're well into the depths of meaningless pedantry

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    i mean if you're worried about the use of the word and when saying or writing out a number you're well into the depths of meaningless pedantry

I didn't say they were wrong for giving me shit, just that it wasn't going to work.

• Options
    to be less snarky, I'd never actually heard the idea that "and" with a set of numbers implies a decimal, and I've definitely never heard the word mantissa before today!

the more you knoooow

• Options
    I was taught the same thing, specifically in the context of writing checks. I don't remember how it was couched, but I absorbed it as a dire warning, like if I ever wrote a check for one hundred and eighty-two dollars it would ruin my credit rating for life.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, but when writing checks it's all X dollars and Y cents, in which case the second number is the decimal place because that's just how you add cents to dollars.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I learned about the void(s) in the great pyramid that were discovered in 2016 and they are very interesting! Thousands of years later and we have discovered something big that we didn't know about. They were going to do more scans in 2020 but covid halted it. I need more info and I need it asap.