As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] Has Caused Ongoing National Protests

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Protestors in Louisville have been arrested and charged with larger bail amounts than that.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Expected, but still ridiculous.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Do you want riots? Because this is how you get riots.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is match to tinder

• Options
    edited September 2020

Any excuse to treat non-cops like wild animals to be brought under heel. They don't care what ordinary people do because they can do whatever they want to ordinary people without consequences.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Fucking christ what a mealy-mouthed weak charge. The fact that the charge stems from rounds going into OTHER apartments and not even Breonna's apartment is just acid on the wound. It's like they don't even fucking care and don't care that everyone sees that they don't care. Just...fuck.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Well they pre-emptively announced a state of emergency and a 9 PM curfew, so they were planning on riots.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I hope the people riot. This is a bullshit decision and they're well within their rights to burn some stuff down.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, riots need to happen. This is a gross miscarriage of justice.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I hope the people riot. This is a bullshit decision and they're well within their rights to burn some stuff down.

I agree. I consider a riot to be the fault of poor governance, not the people on the street.

The attitude of police and the response to anti-police protests in this country is a clear failure of American government on all levels to uphold the social contract. At that point it falls to the people to remind the ruling classes that the social contract is also for their protection against things like angry mobs and guillotines and they need to get the fuck back on board ASAP.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The argument here fails at surface level. He's "creating an environment where lethal harm is possible" by the law, that's their interpretation here. Pointing a gun and shooting someone isn't even manslaughter at this point, much less murder. It's just criminal negligence because, what? Police can't commit murder?

Nobody should accept that. The facts of the case don't accept that. And as precedent it's a garbage thing to do. Oh, we shot fifty people last year but even though we did it willingly it was really just creating an environment where lethal harm was possible. Because of the bullets we fired directly at them. They could have, I don't know, dodged or something.

Bullshit.

• Options
    We cannot expect the police to respect our privacy, our property, our bodies, or our lives if they are not held accountable when they violate them.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Christ this is actually worse than just letting him off scott-free.

Don't ask me how but it just feels that way. Like this shit is supposed to appease anyone?

And when riots rightfully appear they're all "we convicted the motherfucker why are you rioting?

It's making a mockery of what little justice there is left in the system.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The FBI had already Independently determined which cops gun fired the shot that killed her and I guess they’re just going to ignore that because of course they’re going to ignore that.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Functionally, he is being charged for the bullets that did not enter a human body.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Functionally, he is being charged for the bullets that did not enter a human body.
    For the bullets he did NOT shoot at Breonna Taylor.

Edit: to be clear, the wanton endangerment charges are for bullets that went into another apartment.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yup he's basically being charged for shooting up other apartments. Breonna isn't even mentioned as a victim in this indictment...it's just obscene on every level.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It's pretty much what you would charge if you wanted to troll people who cared.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think they are trying to provoke people into rioting so they can have a little fun breaking heads.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The federal government and city/county/state police are corrupt unethical tools of tyranny and sources of endless racially motivated violence.

People need not be surprised by the indictment to be furious and disappointed. I don't have a good feeling about what happens next.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    This feels kind of like the right's response to Comey. "I thought you wanted him fired! What's the problem?"

Look, someone got charged, I don't know why you're still angry.

gee I wonder

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yup he's basically being charged for shooting up other apartments. Breonna isn't even mentioned as a victim in this indictment...it's just obscene on every level.

It makes perfect sense if your goal is to make sure nobody is ever responsible for her death. You don't even wanna open the slightest crack to suggest that maybe they shouldn't have been in her apartment. They are desperately trying to avoid anything that might suggest they agree that the police shouldn't have been in that apartment guns blazing.

shryke on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I think they are trying to provoke people into rioting so they can have a little fun breaking heads.

Maybe.

Or maybe it’s just a continuation of the long standing legal precedents and policies that police can kill whoever they want as long as they are able to make the most tenuous claim possible to acting in good faith.

Breonna Taylor is so far from the first American (of all races) killed in no-knock raids that it’s not even funny. Why anybody would think anything had changed is beyond me.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

He damaged property. That's the real violence

/s*

* - s might stand for sobs or sarcasm. Not sure right now.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I used to live near Louisville when I was a kid. Moved away a long time ago of course. Glad I don't live somewhere quite that corrupt, and sad for the folks who have to deal with it.

People are going to be very, very angry at this and I cannot blame them.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Your regularly scheduled reminder that, if he so desired, a district attorney worth his salt could get a grand jury to indict a toasted ham sandwich with conspiracy to commit arson because it was next to the fire upon which it was toasted

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Instead, we have another officer-involved shooting, in which bullets were present in other apartments.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Phil Lewis is a senior HuffPo editor so I assume he wouldn't just fabricate this image. Burn down that police station

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Coinage wrote: »

Phil Lewis is a senior HuffPo editor so I assume he wouldn't just fabricate this image. Burn down that police station

Wow. That's... yep. Way to be fucking racist even when trying to sweep it under the rug. Fire the lot of them.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Well, here we go. Police are viciously moving in on protesters already.

Louisville Police now saying, “We’re going to arrest every single person who is here right now.” There are thousands of people protesting. They just ripped up a huge banner of Breonna Taylor before shooting munitions at those holding it. This is what fascism looks like.

The roundups have begun. There was nothing even remotely violent shown on the dozen or so live-streams shown on @/SEAProtestNet

Here is a video of some right wing militia members. Police are not forcing these people to disburse. This is eerily similar to Kenosha where police directly supported the man who shot and killed two protesters. Again, this is what fascism looks like.

Seth Dunlap is journalist with Front Line Access.

The thread has some distressing stuff in it. But the bottom line is that Louisville Police are doing everything they can to be asshole fascists. But I guess we should expect that.

Reports are that the National Guard is present, as well.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Just stop already. The whole thing from start to end is orchestrated with full understanding of both the assumed reaction by the community as is the prepared over the top oppressive dealing with the fallout. Textbook fascist uprooting tactics in 2020 before our very eyes. What a fucking travestie.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The protests and riots will continue, and rightfully so.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Oh they should. I meant "oh stop" as in what the fuck america, i've had enough of your facist bullshit. Again.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I expect that police forces will get good enough at preparing to suppress riots that the greater ones will actually be at other cities than the one of the incident

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Oh they should. I meant "oh stop" as in what the fuck america. Again.
    Oh I wasn't responding to you, sorry about that. It was just my take on finding out the news. So sick of this shit.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Riots are wrong because it makes it easy for the nazis and the ununiformed nazis to get at you and mobilize.

Small, random acts, guerrilla-style, and disappearing just as quickly, that's how you demoralize and hurt them. The resistance in nazi-occupied France didn't cluster up with banners and signs.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    The problem is that liberals will not like partisans retaliating against the punishers.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The problem is that liberals will not like partisans retaliating against the punishers.

Ah, yes, the real problem in our developing fascist police state: the liberals.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

This is really hard for me to parse. I think I got it. But it's your point really that liberals are the problem here?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.