Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    3.6-3.8 is still amazing. For perspective, our first house in 2006 was locked in at 5.625 and at that time it was a fantastic rate.

You still have options if you end up with a higher than expected interest rate. Keep an eye out for refinancing options if/when the rate drops again.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Mugsley wrote: »
    3.6-3.8 is still amazing. For perspective, our first house in 2006 was locked in at 5.625 and at that time it was a fantastic rate.

You still have options if you end up with a higher than expected interest rate. Keep an eye out for refinancing options if/when the rate drops again.

I was going to say something similar, but realized that if you were expecting to build when it was below 3.4, 3.8 adds a bit of money to your mortgage that came out of nowhere. I'm guessing it's more the delay that is frustrating than anything else.

edit: Meaning it's not the 3.6 - 3.8 that's terrible, it's the change in rate due to nothing but delays that is really terrible.

shadowane on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ok random question. We have a house with a basement. The top floor temps stay pretty consistent in 4 areas, but our master bedroom is always a few degrees cooler. It's probably the farthest room from the furnace and fireplace. Any tips/tricks to help even the heat/cool to that room?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    ok random question. We have a house with a basement. The top floor temps stay pretty consistent in 4 areas, but our master bedroom is always a few degrees cooler. It's probably the farthest room from the furnace and fireplace. Any tips/tricks to help even the heat/cool to that room?

assuming a forced-air system, have you already adjusted the vents?
    coldest rooms should be wide open, the warmer rooms half closed or more

the goal is to keep the furnace from heating up whatever room has the thermostat in it first and then shutting off before the other rooms are ready

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

I was going to say something similar, but realized that if you were expecting to build when it was below 3.4, 3.8 adds a bit of money to your mortgage that came out of nowhere. I'm guessing it's more the delay that is frustrating than anything else.

edit: Meaning it's not the 3.6 - 3.8 that's terrible, it's the change in rate due to nothing but delays that is really terrible.

Yeah, my first house was 5.2% I believe. But it was also only 1/6th the cost of this one since it was in a rural area.

I'm curious if builders were taking advantage of the lower interest rates to increase base pricing. Just to check, interest was around 5% in 2009. I found a town home in the same area built Jan of that year with 200 more sqft as ours. It was listed 150K cheaper than what town homes are going for in the last 3 years with low 3% / sub 3% interest rates. Not sure how to calculate inflation around it, but I'd assume it wouldn't be 150K in 10 years. Looking at stuff 5 years ago, is pretty similar, but around 100K cheaper.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Aioua wrote: »

assuming a forced-air system, have you already adjusted the vents?
    coldest rooms should be wide open, the warmer rooms half closed or more

the goal is to keep the furnace from heating up whatever room has the thermostat in it first and then shutting off before the other rooms are ready

Also if it is forced air are you using the vent deflectors? The plastic things that deflect heat horizontally? It does make a big difference in distributing the warm air out into the room.

yusr8bs4c07o.png

LeperMessiah on
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    This whole housing thing has really cranked my anxiety and stress to the max. We just talked with some loan folks about locking in rates and it's not great. Banks know rates are skyrocketing right now and even 60 day locks have pretty bad rates around 3.6%-3.8%. Throw in some have points involved and if the lock expires you can't use that lender for 30 days. We knew the September 2021 date they gave us seemed ambitious, which is why we were targeting Christmas and a max rate of 3.4%. They're telling us late march/early april, but no guarantees on any more delays.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that we didn't really have any other options. Our options were:

A) Stay put in our almost 1,000sqft apartment. Hybrid has been making this really tough, with constant "do you need your 2 monitors? I have a meeting." "Can you move to the living room" (which is right next to the office and doesn't help at all if we both have meetings. I had thought of solutions like a murphy bed, but you'd also need a hidden desk and that's hard to do with 2 monitors. We like to cook but can't really fit 2 people in the kitchen at a time unless we basically stay still haha. But I suppose it was an option we could have taken though.

B)Move to a larger apartment. Sadly, there are not many 3 bedroom apartments made. And those that are available are in the $3,600-4,100 per month range. That's an insane markup over 2 bedroom pricing, for only 200-400 more square feet.

C) Rent a house. We did look into this. Weirdly a ton of homes/townhomes that were listed for rent had no animal clauses. Not even dogs or cats. So we didn't move very far with this search since we have 2 cats.

D) Find a house in our price range. Tried this, and every house in the $600's that we looked at, went for ten's of thousands over asking. Additionally since most don't have any public transportation near by, we'd probably have to get another vehicle, which adds to the cost. Also you had to deal with no inspection, waiving appraisal, and all the other anti-buyer clauses.

E) New Build. This is what we ended up doing since it's near public transportation and didn't have to deal with the "bidding war" that was going on. But pricing was 100K over what we wanted to spend and now we're in the fun "wait till it's done" game with interest rates which may end up pushing us over the house poor threshold.

I keep pushing my anxiety down, as we can at least make it work or sell sooner than we'd like if not. I just feel bad for folks who maybe don't have the luxury of 2 career people and no kids. I can't imagine trying to also afford kid stuff with this mess.

Thanks for typing all this out and know you are not alone. My wife and I are basically in the exact same position (add 200 ft to the apartment but subtract an office...our floor plan is so stupid) except we are still considering all of your five options. We've gone fairly far down the road on each plan only for something to come up that sets us back to square zero. This probably sounds crazy to you but it sometimes feels like I would prefer to be worrying about rate increases after having committed to a decision than to keep circling around the various options.

Good luck.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    To be honest the interest rate is a number that gets overblown and is poorly understood by almost everyone. At the end of the day low interest rates mostly benefit sellers, because it makes the availability of money easier and drives up the price of everything. Quite possibly higher interest rates may actually be better for buyers, as it will decrease the price while giving you the ability to refinance in the future. As opposed to buying houses at the highest price and lowest rate, with no ability to refinance. As long as you can still afford it. The limiting factor on price is always going to be the monthly payment, cash buyers not withstanding 90%+ of buyers still finance their homes.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So this is interesting.
    https://www.nar.realtor/sites/default/files/documents/2021-home-buyers-and-sellers-generational-trends-03-16-2021.pdf

So from this data, and it looks like a pretty complete recent data set. From mid 2020 to 2021.

87% of homes are financed.
    12% of homes are multi-generational homes (IE the kids purchase the family home). And it looks like most of those are purchased to take care of their parents.
    18% of homes sell for over list.
    272k average

Also it seams like that file shouldn't be something that I should be able to access from a google search. But it's super informative.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »
    To be honest the interest rate is a number that gets overblown and is poorly understood by almost everyone. At the end of the day low interest rates mostly benefit sellers, because it makes the availability of money easier and drives up the price of everything. Quite possibly higher interest rates may actually be better for buyers, as it will decrease the price while giving you the ability to refinance in the future. As opposed to buying houses at the highest price and lowest rate, with no ability to refinance. As long as you can still afford it. The limiting factor on price is always going to be the monthly payment, cash buyers not withstanding 90%+ of buyers still finance their homes.

While refinancing is always a perk, it benefits folks staying put for long periods of time. The average American isn't staying in a home for 30 years anymore.

It's funny, we signed for this place back in March of 2021. One of the main reasons was the public transportation near by, that my SO could use it for work. Since that time, she's already accepted another job where public transportation isn't an option.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »

While refinancing is always a perk, it benefits folks staying put for long periods of time. The average American isn't staying in a home for 30 years anymore.

It's funny, we signed for this place back in March of 2021. One of the main reasons was the public transportation near by, that my SO could use it for work. Since that time, she's already accepted another job where public transportation isn't an option.

https://ipropertymanagement.com/research/average-length-of-homeownership#:~:text=Current Average Length of Homeownership&text=The average duration of homeownership,within the last 3 years.

The average homeowner owns their home for 18 years. Among the less wealthy it's even longer than that, chiefly those with money are the ones selling their house in 5 years and moving on up.

• Options
    --The average duration of homeownership is 18 years.--
    i read that as people are living in houses on average for 18 years. So, they lived in apartments, condos, townhomes, etc. the rest of the time.

• Options
    --The average duration of homeownership is 18 years.--
    i read that as people are living in houses on average for 18 years. So, they lived in apartments, condos, townhomes, etc. the rest of the time.
    I checked the definitions on census where they pulled the data from and they define tenure as in that unit. Which actually lines up with the expected tenure on the pdf I linked of 15 years Because their data is focused on trends.

• Options
    sorry, i just meant that it doesn't seem to indicate consecutive years. does it?

• Options
    edited January 2022
    No, it's specifically a measurement of how long they own a single home for, not their entire life of homeownership. The numbers have been going up sharply since 2008, prior to the housing crisis then it was around 10-12 years on average.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Along a different line of bitching, we just got back from The Container Store, where for 5K they wanted to sell us wire closet shelving with slightly better than cardboard fronts and tops. For 10K we could get particle board and laminate. 20K was finally the type of engineered wood you'd find in a dresser from wayfair costing less than $500. The framing was better but the bottom was still really thin.

We'll plan on heading over to Ikea in a week or 2. I bought some pax wardrobes from them in my last house, and while plain, they at least felt solid.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Along a different line of bitching, we just got back from The Container Store, where for 5K they wanted to sell us wire closet shelving with slightly better than cardboard fronts and tops. For 10K we could get particle board and laminate. 20K was finally the type of engineered wood you'd find in a dresser from wayfair costing less than $500. The framing was better but the bottom was still really thin.

We'll plan on heading over to Ikea in a week or 2. I bought some pax wardrobes from them in my last house, and while plain, they at least felt solid.

IKEA stained pine is solid wood and sustainable. We have Hemnes throughout our house as an example. They have a ton of good reasonably priced shelving options.

There’s entire online communities built around billy bookshelf modification and build ins. Same for the cube shelves.

• Options

Wow. For wire shelving I would probably just do Home Depot or Lowes. It’s way cheaper.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Wow. For wire shelving I would probably just do Home Depot or Lowes. It’s way cheaper.

yeah they have wire and also like, the particle board with the white laminate that works nicely for closets
    and every bracket and hanger you can think of

container store is running a racket

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Those are absurd prices unless you have a ridiculous amount of closet space you're trying to put shelving in.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Container Store is ridiculously expensive; news at 11. :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

haha yeah so it seems. When looking online, they seemed to be slotted in slightly above Home Depot/Lowes, but on par with Ikea and HD/Lowes closet maid stuff. My SO just did her closet in Ikea's simulator and it's 1/3rd the cost and not wire.

My only concern with Ikea was that documentary that came out years back about them buying wood from illegal logging of a protected Romanian forest. Hopefully they've fixed that issue, as it looks like we're moving that direction.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Buying all the tools and 3/4 inch melanine board and you can build a custom closet and then have all the tools for a hundred other things

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

haha yeah so it seems. When looking online, they seemed to be slotted in slightly above Home Depot/Lowes, but on par with Ikea and HD/Lowes closet maid stuff. My SO just did her closet in Ikea's simulator and it's 1/3rd the cost and not wire.

My only concern with Ikea was that documentary that came out years back about them buying wood from illegal logging of a protected Romanian forest. Hopefully they've fixed that issue, as it looks like we're moving that direction.

As I understand it that keeps happening because lumber companies lying isn't exactly unheard of but apparently Ikea actually does something about it when they find out which is probably more than most.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

I used Pax wardrobes for my closet for the same reason. Everything else was just ridiculously expensive for what it was. I've really enjoyed them, plus I found it a lot easier to put together what I wanted than it was with either Home Depot's closet stuff or The Container Store's stuff.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We swear by Rubbermaid Configurations for wire shelving: https://www.rubbermaid.com/configurations.html

You figure out roughly how many shelves and stuff you need then buy the next biggest kit.

Good install and very sturdy. Not the most stylish being wire shelves, but does the job.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

I used Pax wardrobes for my closet for the same reason. Everything else was just ridiculously expensive for what it was. I've really enjoyed them, plus I found it a lot easier to put together what I wanted than it was with either Home Depot's closet stuff or The Container Store's stuff.

These are really nice. One day when we're money secure (hah) I might consider a couple of these since our closets are so damn tiny.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    PAX also have a lot more than simple shelves: glass shelves, drawers, clothes racks, divider inserts (with drawers or not), specific jewelry drawers, and probably more. It’s an extremely well made and versatile system. It’s not hard to make it look good even if the basic frame is a bit simplistic/boring.

Just watch out: there is no real door solution for the middle size (you have to use a big door and a small door which looks pretty bad imo)

And pretty heavy duty too for closets. We have currently two large plastic bins stuffed with baby clothes on each shelf in one pax and no issues with the weight.

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular

This sounds like a huge ripoff. We got a custom wooden closet from California Closets for around 9k, and I thought that was absurdly over priced.

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Ok, so what would you guys do about this?

83ksnx1llp0k.jpeg

It kind of looks like water damage. This is in the Landry room, behind the dryer. I’m kind of worried there is a broken water pipe or something. I thought maybe the heat/moisture from the dryer vent might be the cause, but it seems kind of high for that. Also not sure how to tell for sure without taking off the dry wall.

• Options
    It could just be the wallpaper, but to really tell you're gonna need to get the paper off to look at the wall.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Though points for the first wallpaper I think I've ever liked

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    In other news, this time with water going where it is supposed to go, I got my rain barrels installed

bc36bg7ipmbc.jpg

this garden gonna be so wet

also that was the last of my downspouts that just dumped out so now all my rainwater either goes to underground drains or into these barrels

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Check out the Rubbermaid site. It's not the easiest navigation, but they have a fully stackable modular closet system (laminate with a variety of drawers and shelves) that you can use their online planner to fully customize. Got four stackable pieces plus all the bars for $650 with free shipping. Looks great too, we love the system. We ordered directly from Rubbermaid, since there is also the Home Depot modulars, but they are different.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    We swear by Rubbermaid Configurations for wire shelving: https://www.rubbermaid.com/configurations.html

You figure out roughly how many shelves and stuff you need then buy the next biggest kit.

Good install and very sturdy. Not the most stylish being wire shelves, but does the job.

Rubbermaid Configurations is what we have slowly replaced builder grade wire shelving with in most of each house we've lived in! If you check on Amazon, sometimes some of the sets will be far cheaper than the others so it may make sense to buy different widths than you need and just LEGO them together and save the extra bits. Very strong, and you can rearrange things and add little kits very easily.

If you want solid material, I'd agree with MegaMan and also suggest DIY. This isn't probably how I'd do a bedroom shelf, but it is the cheapest cabinet Menard's sells with some butcherblock and then plywood and turned out looking good to me. Instead of doing edging I just spackled the edge of the plywood before painting it.
    ai5pyts1t0m8.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's really sharp.

Also if there's not a secret ladder behind the doors, I don't even know what to tell you.

• Options
    I very much wanted to put a secret door on the back of the cabinet since it backs up to the HVAC space but my wife didn't like the idea! Still thinking about replacing a few other doors to unfinished areas with murphy doors for fun sometime.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    How is it even a secret ladder if your wife knows about it?

• Options
    How is it even a secret ladder if your wife knows about it?

Oh I'm sure the children would've found and given it away by now, they'd probably be floating paper boats in the sump pit if it wasn't sealed. Maybe a biometric lock of some kind...

• Options
    Seems our Samsung fridge has finally caught the icing drain pan issue, after barely surviving a bad case last year and picking up the ice maker bug from who knows where. Whole kitchen was Samsung so we just rode it out.

So probably going to pass on Samsung when we're buying. Looks like LGs are decent? Think just another side-by-side is the way to go as we like shelves for the freezer.

Any big warnings about LGs in the $2,000 range? Just ice & water makers are the only must-haves.

This discussion has been closed.