As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    If you look closely there’s little explosions rather than blood when his pistol rounds hit.

They’re probably going to hand wave in some kind of less lethal round.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If the Batmobile in Arkham Knight had a canon on it that fired rubber cannonballs at thugs, Jason Todd can use rubber bullets.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean to be fair a lot of "less lethal" techniques we've used in all the arkham games would absolutely cripple people forever. Just flat out shooting them would probably be actually less than lethal than clothelining them onto their head and then heel smashing their face.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Oh hey Batman in the red hood is on hbo max. It’s a good watch .

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If the Batmobile in Arkham Knight had a canon on it that fired rubber cannonballs at thugs, Jason Todd can use rubber bullets.

Fucking thing had rubber missiles...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It’s one of those comic book things that still make me giggle . But Batman does tend to be the poster child for non lethal stuff that would murder you irl.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Fucking edgelord Rocksteady... It's a pursuit vehicle for fuck's sake

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It’s one of those comic book things that still make me giggle . But Batman does tend to be the poster child for non lethal stuff that would murder you irl.

Obligatory video response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

EDIT - btw, MASSIVE content warning in that video. There's blood, slit throats, more blood, (edit2) and shooting...oh gods, the shooting... Totally forgot about mentioning that.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    McRhyno wrote: »

Fucking edgelord Rocksteady... It's a pursuit vehicle for fuck's sake

This combined with the reports of rampant sexism at that company has lost a lot of faith with me.

Maybe I shouldn't have given them the benefit of the doubt. After all, these are the assholes who put Harley Quinn in fishnets and a mini skirt, Poison Ivy in an upbuttoned shirt with leaf underwear, and Catwoman with suit unzipped to her navel

When I'm embarrassed to play something in front of my wife, you fucked up.

• Options
    I liked the Arkham designs /shrug

• Options
    I liked the Arkham designs /shrug

Are you a heterosexual male?

I am and I don't appreciate what these games assume that I want. They could be better.

• Options
    I am , I just didn’t have any strong negative reaction to them . Like I said I like them .

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    One of the first things batgirl does in that trailer in combat is slam a guy straight down on his head from like 5 meters up. That guys dead. That is murder. These games really don't have anything to do with reality.

Rubber bullets don't kill because its a comic book world. Best not to expect more. That way lies madness.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I also noticed this game doesn't have a combo counter either.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to see more cause it seems like they have simplified the game a lot to fit the co-op/RPG mold.

Also, Games as Service have made me pretty skeptical when a leveling system and "customization" is put into a game.

It usually means a bunch of tedious systems to artificially inflate game length and sell microtransactions.

Like if we've gone from static progressive to me having to sift through +1 Gauntlets of Punching that is instantly gonna reduce my interest.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Can already see from the gameplay that it isnt arham style freeflow. She spends several seconds punching the same dude and finishes with what looks like an auto finisher.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I also noticed this game doesn't have a combo counter either.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to see more cause it seems like they have simplified the game a lot to fit the co-op/RPG mold.

Also, Games as Service have made me pretty skeptical when a leveling system and "customization" is put into a game.

It usually means a bunch of tedious systems to artificially inflate game length and sell microtransactions.

Like if we've gone from static progressive to me having to sift through +1 Gauntlets of Punching that is instantly gonna reduce my interest.

worth keeping in mind that Gotham Knights is not in the Arkham series, so its understandable that they'd take a fresh approach to some systems. i expect it'll still feel pretty similar to the Arkham games though.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Batman's real superpower isn't money, its the ability to slam people's heads into pavement and always render them harmlessly unconscious rather than dead.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I mean even the other characters in that game are using deadly force.

Clubbing people in the heads with metal batons is sure to leave a lot folks brain damaged and quite a few others dead.

• Options
    Yea I mean even the other characters in that game are using deadly force.

Clubbing people in the heads with metal batons is sure to leave a lot folks brain damaged and quite a few others dead.

Gotham’s healthcare system must be some next level stuff. How many times have they mended the myriad of broken bones Bruce and co leave in their wake.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Not sure how serious, but since people seem to be taking it that way... the Batmobile was loaded with very lethal actual explosives that the game wouldn't let you aim at pedestrians. For them you had a "riot surpressor" shooting rubber pellets and some shock field around your car. Everything else though was built to rip through cars and tanks.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    If you look closely there’s little explosions rather than blood when his pistol rounds hit.

They’re probably going to hand wave in some kind of less lethal round.

This is 100% standard in the industry when you want a T rating. Whether they handwave it in lore or not, they can't show blood spatter.

Like how tons of Sparks fly off of Cloud's ginormous sword in FF7R as he lays into soft humans and creatures.

Also the impression I got from the AK Red Hood DLC was that he was totally murdering people. Like the goal he went there with wasn't to apprehend Black Mask, it was to kill him. Though anything is possible in this game with it not being Arkhamverse.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah in regular comic canon, Red Hood / Jason Todd is super murdery. His name might as well be Murdery McMurderface because that's what he is. Which is why I was surprised to see them use him as one of the Gotham Knights.

Huntress has been a part of the Bat Family too, and whenever she's around, Batman always keeps a very tight leash on her and has to constantly remind her not to kill.

• Options
    LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    They also contorted themselves pointing out all those tanks and helicopters were unmanned drones so you could happily blow them up with the big fuck off rocket launcher!

And criminals would be wrapped in safe, comfortable electricity as they bounced off the hood of the batmobile as it sped around at 50mph whilst also tearing through steel and concrete pillars.

Alfred reprogramming detective mode behind Batman's back to show all those bodies as "just sleeping"! 😁

• Options

Some updates on the game. Big one for me is its not GAAS.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Some updates on the game. Big one for me is its not GAAS.

glad to hear that too, though i wasn't as convinced as others were that it would be. a little put off by the mention of 'gear' though.

• Options
    If there's no level gating why even have levels.

Doubt.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If there's no level gating why even have levels.

qogp2jbhcb0t.jpg

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I think they’ve also said it unlocks new skills. But yeah, probably to have bars to fill is the real answer.

Edit: And if there’s gear, probably to artificially make you replace your gear periodically as part of that treadmill. Which isn’t great I feel, but I’m willing to give it a chance and mess around with friends.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, do we have any indication Suicide Squad will be the same way, and not like Destiny/Anthem/Avengers? Gawd, I hope so.

FINALLY saw the trailers. I'm down for more bat-family, but damn, that Suicide Squad trailer sold me so hard. And I'm not necessarily a Suicide Squad fan!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, do we have any indication Suicide Squad will be the same way, and not like Destiny/Anthem/Avengers? Gawd, I hope so.

FINALLY saw the trailers. I'm down for more bat-family, but damn, that Suicide Squad trailer sold me so hard. And I'm not necessarily a Suicide Squad fan!

Suicide Squad has the emphasis on squad. If you're playing alone, you're followed by 3 bots, at least you can change characters in that mode.

• Options

Suicide Squad has the emphasis on squad. If you're playing alone, you're followed by 3 bots, at least you can change characters in that mode.

Pooooooooooop.

This generation's been increasingly harsh on folks who just want a tight single-player experience.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Pooooooooooop.

This generation's been increasingly harsh on folks who just want a tight single-player experience.

It has?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, and Arkham Knight was also a part of this generation even if it feels like it was a million years ago now. All examples of tight singleplayer experiences.

This generation has been full of great singleplayer games.

On the topic of gear, I don't mind it. Many of the AC games have gear and levels, and I don't mind it in any of those games. It offers a sense of progression, even if it's mostly just an illusion.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    AC: Odyssey is not what I'd call a tight single player experience. I enjoyed it but there's a lot of chaff in it.

• Options
    @Local H Jay the title has a Squad typo that will slowly drive me insane every time I check this thread. Definitely a personal problem, but also you should fix it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There, fixed it

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Pooooooooooop.

It has?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, and Arkham Knight was also a part of this generation even if it feels like it was a million years ago now. All examples of tight singleplayer experiences.

This generation has been full of great singleplayer games.

On the topic of gear, I don't mind it. Many of the AC games have gear and levels, and I don't mind it in any of those games. It offers a sense of progression, even if it's mostly just an illusion.

Don't get me wrong, there's still traditional AAA single-player games -- especially if you go first-party Nintendo or, as you illustrated, Sony -- but the overall trend is moving toward always online multiplayer stuff.

• Options
    There, fixed it

I have been kill'd. I hope this outcome brings you joy. :(

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Isn't Suicune a Pokemon? This is going to be a weird crossover game.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Oh shoot, I was hoping this was the Sudoku Squid thread.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Laser Squid Nemesis

pleasepaypreacher.net