As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Dang. Still glad its dated.

Really need something to release in may/June right now.

Rest of the year on either side is already pretty set.

Was really hoping this would end up slated as a summer blockbuster style thing. Oh well.

Saints Row is in August

Yea before that is the open period. I'm full up into May. And then from late August through the rest of the year.

Its that little gap between. Originally forspoken was there. But dang. Still time for something else to pop up though.
    I mean, you probably have a backlog.

I know I do!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I have so many games I’ve bought at full price that I still haven’t played, my god

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Suicide Squad delay to 2023 was leaked a while ago, now officially confirmed:

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Dang. Still glad its dated.

Really need something to release in may/June right now.

Rest of the year on either side is already pretty set.

Was really hoping this would end up slated as a summer blockbuster style thing. Oh well.

Saints Row is in August

Yea before that is the open period. I'm full up into May. And then from late August through the rest of the year.

Its that little gap between. Originally forspoken was there. But dang. Still time for something else to pop up though.
    I mean, you probably have a backlog.

I know I do!

I actually do not!

I just play new games as they come out. Usually have(not this year) a few weeks per year with no games just waiting for new releases.

So in that scenario delays and such can frequently feel quite bad for me. Not this one though due to the tightly packed releases.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm actually all for Gotham Knights.

As for Suicide Squad it sounds kind of GaaS-y and last gen did a lot to kill my goodwill for those kinds of games.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea im all about single player narrative focused games.

So gotham knights looks super rad.

Suicide Squad just doesn't appeal to me at all though. It may turn out really well done! But still would be unlikely to play.

I'll always play a 3/5 fun one and done single player game over a 4/5 GaaS.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So what was GaaSy about Suicide Squad? I must have missed it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    IIRC there was nothing definite said about Suicide Squad being a GaaS. Rocksteady said it 'might be' to be different from Gotham Knights ages ago, but now there's reports from last year saying it's actually not.

My guess is it was, but the utter flop of Avengers and the high praise of Guardians made them shift it back to a linear story game hence the long delay.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    IIRC there was nothing definite said about Suicide Squad being a GaaS. Rocksteady said it 'might be' to be different from Gotham Knights ages ago, but now there's reports from last year saying it's actually not.

My guess is it was, but the utter flop of Avengers and the high praise of Guardians made them shift it back to a linear story game hence the long delay.

I'd be cool with that.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Well I will check it out then whenever I get into the next gen.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    They released a gameplay video of Gotham Knights showing off Red Hood and Nightwing. I like that the atmosphere from the Arkham games is in tact and the city looks good. The batcycle is hopefully more fun to drive than the Batmobile was. Nightwing looks really fun. Red Hood though just doesn't look fun to play, but then again, he wasn't fun to play in Arkham Knight either. His whole shooty shooty bang bang style just isn't my bag. He looks slow and clunky.

But I am looking forward to it, especially if they allow online co-op.

Suicide Squad will be an instant ignore if it is GaaS like was originally planned. I'm not falling for that boring garbage again. But I might give it a look if the Avengers crashing and burning scared them into changing it completely.

Also, I'm kind of tired of every game needing to have resource collecting and crafting recently.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Interesting. It's still pretty rare for an AAA new release to skip the old generation. Wonder if this is a sign that will gradually change.

• Options
    That looked pretty fun! Hopefully nightingale has some suits i like becuase his gameplay looks more up my alley. I just always prefer layered super hero suits like red hood. But I do not like his out of suit design or how gun heavy his gameplay is.

But... I'm actually pretty excited for this. I'm not even a batman fan but it looks like a damn good time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It looks fun, but those two are the characters I'm most likely playing the least

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yea they were my top two. Not into the sneaky gadget style that Robin looks like(plus his base outfit is my least fav).

And Batgirl looks super cool but I just prefer playing dudes so Nightingale is likely my guy.

Edit: My phone really wants him to be nightingale so it stays.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I really want to see more gameplay for Batgirl and Robin. I have a feeling I'll be playing mostly as Nightwing (Dick Grayson for life!) and Batgirl. Mr. McShooty will definitely be the least played for me. I'll probably only play missions that require him.

I'm a huge DC nut, and although Batman isn't my favorite, I do love the games. The Arkham Quadrilogy (that's right Rocksteady, Origins counts!) are some of my favorite games of all time. They are just a ton of fun.

I'm very much looking forward to this one.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah my personal hierarchy of characters is probably going to be Batgirl > Robin > Nightwing > Red Hood.

I don't really like Jason Todd as a character, and a gun-shooty boi isn't what I'm looking for in an Arkham game. So it's basically a double strike against him. I don't like the character, and the playstyle isn't what I'm looking for.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Red Hood is such a terrible character, Todd should have stayed dead. All of Batman's biggest failures have been undone over time, but Todd didn't need to be brought back and Batman tolerating a gun toting murderer makes no sense, but that gameplay in particular looks so slow and plodding. Plus Soul Jump? TF

• Options
    I just wanna be mixing it up in close range punchy punchy style. So that seems most like Nightwing yea?

My knowledge of any of these characters is pretty limited to that terrible but strangely entertaining Titans show.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah my personal hierarchy of characters is probably going to be Batgirl > Robin > Nightwing > Red Hood.

I don't really like Jason Todd as a character, and a gun-shooty boi isn't what I'm looking for in an Arkham game. So it's basically a double strike against him. I don't like the character, and the playstyle isn't what I'm looking for.

I could understand this hierarchy. I love Tim Drake, so Robin should hopefully be fun to play as well. I just have a soft spot in my heart for Grayson. I love Babs as well, which is why those two are the ones I'm looking forward to playing the most.

So who here thinks the big twist is that Bruce isn't dead? :wink:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    This game doesn't have Damian Wayne, aka Asshole Robin, right?

That's a point in its favor.

• Options
    No Damian, which is definitely a point in its favor.

I wish I cared for the Suicide Squad more. I'm not a fan of the team in the comics, so even if it didn't have the GaaS stuff, not sure if I care enough to play it. I'm well over not caring about anything involving Harley. Not a big Deadshot fan. I like Captain Boomerang and King Shark, but not enough to care about a Suicide Squad game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I wish I cared for the Suicide Squad more. I'm not a fan of the team in the comics, so even if it didn't have the GaaS stuff, not sure if I care enough to play it. I'm well over not caring about anything involving Harley. Not a big Deadshot fan. I like Captain Boomerang and King Shark, but not enough to care about a Suicide Squad game.

I'm still not sure how it's GaaSy?

I mean, it may wind up being that way, but I haven't seen anything that indicates it definitely is.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I mean, it may wind up being that way, but I haven't seen anything that indicates it definitely is.

I think it was more rumored/heavily implied than confirmed. Hopefully it isn't the case as I'd like the idea of live service games to die already. But everything known about the game has been put all together here.

https://www.techradar.com/news/suicide-squad-game

So it might have ultimately been nothing, but I guess we'll see.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

I could understand this hierarchy. I love Tim Drake, so Robin should hopefully be fun to play as well. I just have a soft spot in my heart for Grayson. I love Babs as well, which is why those two are the ones I'm looking forward to playing the most.

It'll be like how the Arkham Knight wasn't Red Hood. You'll have like 3 separate boss fights with a Court of Owls assassin called "Tab-Nam"

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Of course Batman's not dead.

Christopher Nolan had a chance to send Batman off with a heroic/sacrificial death at the end of his trilogy and he took the "remote control drone" safety exit instead. In the comics world, Grant Morrison was given the chance to kill Batman, but that didn't stick either. Batman is unkillable. If their top creators in their respective mediums can't make it stick, nobody can. Certainly not a relatively untested team whose sole credit in the franchise was a very lukewarmly received prequel.

• Options

It'll be like how the Arkham Knight wasn't Red Hood. You'll have like 3 separate boss fights with a Court of Owls assassin called "Tab-Nam"

His attacks are throwing cans of cola with an upside down bat symbol. :tongue:
    Of course Batman's not dead.

Christopher Nolan had a chance to send Batman off with a heroic/sacrificial death at the end of his trilogy and he took the "remote control drone" safety exit instead. In the comics world, Grant Morrison was given the chance to kill Batman, but that didn't stick either. Batman is unkillable. If their top creators in their respective mediums can't make it stick, nobody can. Certainly not a relatively untested team whose sole credit in the franchise was a very lukewarmly received prequel.

I will defend Origins to the ends of the Earth. It had the best story and bosses of the entire series. Rocksteady could have taken a few lessons from the lukewarmly received prequel. :tongue:

Then in Arkham Knight, they took one of the best boss fights in Origins and ruined it by turning Deathstroke into a awful tank fight. God that still makes me mad. :angry:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think it was more rumored/heavily implied than confirmed. Hopefully it isn't the case as I'd like the idea of live service games to die already. But everything known about the game has been put all together here.

https://www.techradar.com/news/suicide-squad-game

So it might have ultimately been nothing, but I guess we'll see.

Everyone has been reporting it as Gaas, but there has never been any official comment or confirmation.

• Options

I'm honestly hoping they play it straight, with the knights possibly thinking he's not dead (because Batman) but having to deal with the fact he's truly gone.

But yeah, that's my order as well.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Tim Drake main.

If i could have played all the Arkham games as Tim Drake only, I would have.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

That nearly mirrors my own personal hierarchy, except I would switch Nightwing and Robin. But, Babs will have to be played first.:)

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I dunno. I had fun in AVENGERS. The poor technical performance, matchmaking and lack of endgame content variety at launch was the real killer for that application, not the MTX store. WB doing something similar with their co-op products I'd be fine with - if the content is there to justify it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Drake, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red hood for me.

Batman would be between Drake and Batgirl.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular

I will defend Origins to the ends of the Earth. It had the best story and bosses of the entire series. Rocksteady could have taken a few lessons from the lukewarmly received prequel. :tongue:

This right here, it pisses me off they never remastered origins with the other titles. Great soundtrack too.

I'm not really big on the Batman side characters but I'm interested in a video game Gotham that's not a prison/blizzard/evacuation excuse for it to be empty.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Origins is the best story out of all of them. All the other Arkham games are really weird.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    But the combat in Origins wasn't as tight as the others.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    But the combat in Origins wasn't as tight as the others.

And the world felt empty.

Still, good story, great bosses, and fantastic detective sequences.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »

I'm not really big on the Batman side characters but I'm interested in a video game Gotham that's not a prison/blizzard/evacuation excuse for it to be empty.

Things looked pretty desolate in the gameplay trailer? Do we know anything has actually changed here?

I thought alot of that silliness had to do with DC mandates about their characters violencing random innocents. So the devs would have to choose between say something semi-believable or else clipping through passerbys.

• Options
    I’m sure Marvel has similar mandates for their no-kill heroes like Spider-Man. Insomniac’s SM game has civilians all over. Their engine is great with auto targeting ignoring them, having them scamper off when a fight breaks out, and most of all, if you directly attack one you get a very stern warning and if you do it again they game-over you.