As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Chat]icle for Leibowitz

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Ok I got far enough in Ringed City to get the paried ultra greatswords now I can go back and finish the base game

also wondering if I should cave to fad culture and get Fall Guys

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I think my husband got an escooter DUI....

!

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I think my husband got an escooter DUI....

alexa, play despacito

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    It's treated as a car here in Germany. As long as it wasn't over a certain limit he has to pay a fine and that's it. I super hope it wasn't at criminal levels.

• Options
    Thank god the German BF is with him.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I assume the German BF is some kind of foundation that argues on behalf of the publicly inebriated

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Damn they really need more "treat it as a car" laws over here. Its not any less morally bankrupt or just plain stupid.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

I assume the German BF is some kind of foundation that argues on behalf of the publicly inebriated
    He and our boyfriend took scooters home while I biked. BF doesn't really drink. So husband got put in the sausage car to Polizei land. Apparently he is already out of the slammer and headed home.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Damn they really need more "treat it as a car" laws over here. Its not any less morally bankrupt or just plain stupid.
    I 100% agree with you but also can't help but think you're an utter goose for voicing this opinion right now.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m in a bad mood so it’s only fair that I take it out in you all

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah my brain really did not process that as boy friend

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    He was close to legal limit so they took him for a blood test. Maybe it turned out he was under the limit. But a lesson for him for the future. He's Texan which means he has a....cavalier attitude for these things that I don't like.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I 100% agree with you but also can't help but think you're an utter goose for voicing this opinion right now.

You'd have said if he had forced someone else to endure having had accidentally killed him. Or been put in the hospital. So what's left is he was caught doing something downright despicable and inexcusable but got off lucky.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    because the grocery store i went to as a child was a giant, now all grocery stores are giant

I think Stop & Shop and Giant actually are the same store now.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I called the rental car agency to ask whether they accept after hours returns. And they said sure, is there any damage? And I said no, except for a small chip on the windshield. They said, is it smaller than a dollar bill? (If so, it’s fine)

Yes? Can a chip be larger than a piece of US currency before just becoming a crack? I’d love to see that

When does a chip become a fist sized hole?

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I called the rental car agency to ask whether they accept after hours returns. And they said sure, is there any damage? And I said no, except for a small chip on the windshield. They said, is it smaller than a dollar bill? (If so, it’s fine)

Yes? Can a chip be larger than a piece of US currency before just becoming a crack? I’d love to see that

When does a chip become a fist sized hole?

Usually only like on friday or saturday nights

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Character death is important. Luckily 5th gives you death saves which helps. It shouldn't be done lightly by DMs. It should be feared by players and it should be something that is very much possible. Let the dice lay where they fall. Its I guess an old thought but all my groups have been built around that thought.

But also you should work with the player who died to help bring in the next character but also with the group for consequences to them. Early game deaths are pretty small for shock verse mid or late game deaths.

I will fudge numbers for story reasons as DM. I have the screen. But it is rare. And usually in the favor of the players.

But at the same time monsters are very deadly if you actually use all their abilities especially mind control and stuff which I feel most DMs shy away from not wanting to force players to give up control or do to complexity of abilities.

I also like the lair abilities in 5E. Good way to make bosses interesting fights. As you can't stop a lair.

I disagree, but then again I quit D&D in my early teens, hating it, because it was quite clear that it was just the DM turning the game into a mechanical wargame where the goal was for the DM to kill the player's characters, and I had put a bunch of time into my first character only to die in literally the first combat... woooo thats fun, and then I went back to playing World of Warcraft

Didn't come back until 5e, and there are still some remnants of that. Shit the fight I mentioned in Avernus, we've been playing Avernus for 2 months, and the last fight was against a spellcaster with fireball. We're level 3. Average damage of a fireball downs 4 out of 5 party members. that fight has a fairly high statistical chance to just end your campaign, and it isn't a meaningful or notable encounter either. How much fun would it be to waste 2 months of your life on a doomed campaign because of an NPC's roll?

That's how I feel about random character deaths, which every DM keeps saying I should do, Dice Where They Land my butt. I tried that in the first campaign I ran, and I drove a player away from my game forever because a monster crit twice in its multiattack in his first combat after he had spent a ton of time with me developing a backstory and a character arc, and the party couldn't afford to raise him so they just left his body there and went on

Nowadays, in the exact same situation, he goes down, he gets crit twice, hes coughing up blood, after the fight when they get him up he might have a severed arm, or a gut wound that needs more than simple healing, or have lost an eye. This kind of failing forward is vastly, vaaaaaaaaaaastly preferred by both myself and my players

I don't have to fudge the dice, and they get consequences, and we don't lose the campaign because an NPC rolled max on their cone of cold and TPKed everyone

Of course at their current level in the game I'm running now, no such fudging is required, death is meaningless once players get a certain amount of power anyway. I do have the fading spirit rules from Critical Role, so it is POSSIBLE for them to basically soft-lock their character out of coming back to life, so it's hardly like they're being suicidal - but if it happens, and the appropriate precautions are taken, it's likely just time and gold

I've been on both sides of it. And death does suck. For the DM and the player. But the dice are there and sometimes shit happens.

We had a house rule back in my old group if you rolled a crit 3 times in a row (nat 20 not the extended range based on weapon/class) you would one shot what you are fighting. It went both ways though.

Half way through a dungeon they were fighting some black drakes used as mounts. And one of the drakes on the tail attack rolled 3 20's to confirm and one shot a character. I openly rolled it all. My players saw the whole thing. The character died. Which sucks. But we made sure it was a fully epic death.

It was part of the game. I don't know, should have I have fudged that? I don't know.

But it is part of the game.

But the full baseline rule of all this is play what best fits your group. And that people enjoy themselves. Really that is the first overriding rule of any RPG for me. For folks to have fun at the table. Use what works for your group.

So I tend to have less chance of character death at low levels, as in, before level 5 players literally can't die from "over 50% of your hp" 1 hit kill, and I tend to have them suffer horrible character-defining injuries instead of death if they get clobbered while down.

After level 5 I use the standard rules, and this is the greatest chance of a player losing a character, but I WILL ABSOLUTELY fudge killing blows on random encounters, stupid meaningless fights, or an encounter that will kill the session dead - we have limited free time, spending 5 hours of a saturday working into a dungeon for someone to die in the first fight so they have to call it off is just going to dampen the mood so much I might have to cancel the next game.

If they die that this level range, but love their character, they need to tell me, and the party can have them entombed or something (I have costs in one of my tables for Reposing) and it wont be until they hit level 9, typically, that that character can come back (or they get a big ass pile of gold, I have NPCs charge a fortune for raises)

After level 9, the gloves come all the way off, if they don't have someone with raise dead, I'll give them an NPC friend who has it (or Reincarnate or similar), but I reserve the right to fudge for narrative convenience, typically as I said if the session would be jeopardized by a bad string of crits or whatever, and always in the player's favor. I could not give them a source of raising, but if I do that I'm telling my players "One of you has to be a Cleric or Bard"

Fighting a Beholder or similar can be a bad time here, because Resurrection is still beyond their grasp, and that gives me a solid hook a few sessions down the line to raise their friend if they want.

For most of the levels of D&D 5e, by RAW, death is mostly meaningless unless you simply don't give your players gold. Having fading spirit rules means I make it more likely, but only at higher levels (I don't kick those in until level 9)

I have lost 5 player characters in the last 3 years, usually if they die and decide thats a good place to leave the character story. The monk in TOA really loves his character but he got yeeted to the astral sea so we wont see him until the very end, the epilogue of the campaign - but the character is retrievable

override367 on
  • Options

You'd have said if he had forced someone else to endure having had accidentally killed him. Or been put in the hospital. So what's left is he was caught doing something downright despicable and inexcusable but got off lucky.

I mean I think he blew under the German legal limit and might be fine. Still waiting for him to get home. Legal limit is 0.05 BAC in Germany. Under the 0.08 US in most States I think. I like totally agree with you but also I find it super weird to say my husband is despicable.

• Options
    I get at least 2 dui’s a day 😎😎😎

• Options
    Actually more like 30 a day 😎😎😎

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    isn't martins and giant the same thing now. do they not have giants that far south anymore

Martin's was owned by the same parent company that owns Giant and Stop and Shop, but then that company merged with the company that owned Food Lion and they had to sell/close the Martin'ses because of antitrust rules!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    If your character gets permadeath is it generally the last session? Or do you make a new character and continue playing?

Depends on the game. D&D and similar are the kind of game where you are rolling the dice for a new character before the old one is in the ground and you are back in playing in 30 minutes. Cause D&D still is and always has been a game about fighting monsters and getting treasure.

The unfortunate thing is that one game has such a huge market share that it is pretty much synonymous with tabletop RPGs in general. Both from people outside the hobby and those inside it who try and bend D&D into being kinds game games it is absolutely terrible at.

Also it's made on a tiny, tiny budget

Yeah for all people talk (quite rightly) about the need for more diversity in the creative staff behind D&D there are maybe half a dozen people who have full time jobs doing game design on the game. There are a tiny tiny number of such jobs and they don't open up often.

I think it's actually only two FTE!

Yeah D&D is huge it has literally double the full time staff of most pnp RPGs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Looks like he was way under and there shouldn't be a problem. It was a routine checkpoint. Either way lesson learned. Thanks for listening. ❤

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't get the DUI decimal system

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

It's your blood alcohol percentage...I don't understand

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Whenever we talk about DUI here, it's kind of crazy because there is this incongruous mixture, at least to me, of over the top extreme condemnation for the slightest violation, and a near ubiquity of the activity in question.

All over the world, anywhere that's not a city that uses cars for transport, people are constantly driving drunk all the time. With the knowledge of how often it occurs and how many people I know do it, I cannot possibly muster an extreme reaction. I think it's bad and dangerous and people ought not do it, but all the absolute character judgements, all the superlatives...

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Or do you mean you dont get why they put in in decimal form?
    because saying 8 parts alcohol to 10,000 parts blood sounds weird

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    my 6yo niece just called the owner of netflix and told him he is irresponsible and only gives his money to other billionaires and delete your job please

i have never been more proud

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Whenever we talk about DUI here, it's kind of crazy because there is this incongruous mixture, at least to me, of over the top extreme condemnation for the slightest violation, and a near ubiquity of the activity in question.

All over the world, anywhere that's not a city that uses cars for transport, people are constantly driving drunk all the time. With the knowledge of how often it occurs and how many people I know do it, I cannot possibly muster an extreme reaction. I think it's bad and dangerous and people ought not do it, but all the absolute character judgements, all the superlatives...

I mean I've done it plenty in the past and know people who do it often
    I still think if they get caught they should be executed on the spot.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    In my hometown when I go out to a bar and look at all the people there, I'd say 80% of them are driving home well over the legal limit. Easily. They all drove in alone in cars, they're leaving alone in cars, there's not enough time to get below 0.08% given the drinks they have had.

There's no taxi service, there's no transit, you can't walk. They're just... all driving home drunk.

There's this polite fiction maintained between all the people at the bar, the bar its self which definitely knows it's happening, and even the police who could just park outside and snag drunk after drunk if they wanted. But they don't. Nobody stops this or takes action.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    well that was a 90 minute interview.

hopefully that's a good sign

*fingers crossedmoji*

• Options
    In my hometown when I go out to a bar and look at all the people there, I'd say 80% of them are driving home well over the legal limit. Easily. They all drove in alone in cars, they're leaving alone in cars, there's not enough time to get below 0.08% given the drinks they have had.

There's no taxi service, there's no transit, you can't walk. They're just... all driving home drunk.

Seems bad

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I had a dream my friend and ex-coworker added me to her new company's slack so we could talk when she's at work and I embarrassed her through my incredibly inappropriate behavior in front of her coworkers, and then when she tried to do damage control she was very performatively hurtful towards me in front of her coworkers and I ended up blowing up and yelling at her.

So what I'm saying is Am I the dream asshole?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    we should abolish both alcohol and c*rs

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

It's your blood alcohol percentage...I don't understand

Sound it out

Dooooo eeeeeee decimal system

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Get rid of the c word first

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Get rid of the c word first

Did DreamWinky use the C word in a company slack channel?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I wrecked and got an OUI when I was 19 blowing a .12. Nobody hurt but almost 20 years later it stands out as the biggest fuckup of many fuckups in my young adult life.

I still have to mark that down on job applications or school chaperone forms as having been convicted of a crime.

And that was far from the only time or most drunk I drove. Thank god I never died or hurt someone.

I am both sympathetic to people who make that same mistake as being dumb especially if they are young, and merciless for don't do that shit because come on. It's a tricky one.

This discussion has been closed.