Options

A [Chat]icle for Leibowitz

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Is Dr. Bob a Dr. Pepper knockoff or a Mr. Pibb knockoff?

Inscrutable

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How does Apple continue to justify the existence of the Mac Book Air

What pieces of trash

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Is Dr. Bob a Dr. Pepper knockoff or a Mr. Pibb knockoff?

Inscrutable

Trick question

Theyre all Dr Thunder ripoffs

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    $1000 fucking Chromebook is what it is

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Technically wouldn't the subset of universes in which you're always dead within the set of all infinite universes, be by definition infinite in size?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Man, every time I go to upgrade a docker container I feel like I'm missing something fundamental.

It's not good enough to stop/start the container. Apparently you have to remove the old one and use run to create a new one? Which means if you have configured everything by startup command line, you need to remember said command line.. which sucks. :(

What! Make an alias or bash script for the command line!

If it's a command inside the image use etc/init.d or (shudder) cron!

Also consider docker-compose / mvn package docker:build

@Powerpuppies

I went with a docker-compose, as I found a site that will convert your command line to a proper .yml.

So now things are good, and properly documented. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Seeing the words level and 9 together got me wondering - how often do you normally level in a campaign? We’re level 7 as of last session. Our sessions are usually 4-6 hours and we play once a month (for five years now).

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i won big on the football and i'm off work until next wednesday

what a day

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Seeing the words level and 9 together got me wondering - how often do you normally level in a campaign? We’re level 7 as of last session. Our sessions are usually 4-6 hours and we play once a month (for five years now).

We've swapped to event based leveling, basically once you've got through some kind of "act" in the campaign.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Ok but like, you wrote something on the internet that was wrong in a way that casually contradicts the experience of some people. and this is not some high stakes smartness proving contest, they're just like, hey that's my grocery store not aldi.

Maybe not everything requires an asshole putdown response

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I called the rental car agency to ask whether they accept after hours returns. And they said sure, is there any damage? And I said no, except for a small chip on the windshield. They said, is it smaller than a dollar bill? (If so, it’s fine)

Yes? Can a chip be larger than a piece of US currency before just becoming a crack? I’d love to see that

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    http s:/ /twitter.com/karengeier/status/1296917159722061826?s=20

Ok but like, you wrote something on the internet that was wrong in a way that casually contradicts the experience of some people. and this is not some high stakes smartness proving contest, they're just like, hey that's my grocery store not aldi.

that is kind of her shtick

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It's just Mountain Dew, it's okay.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I called the rental car agency to ask whether they accept after hours returns. And they said sure, is there any damage? And I said no, except for a small chip on the windshield. They said, is it smaller than a dollar bill? (If so, it’s fine)

Yes? Can a chip be larger than a piece of US currency before just becoming a crack? I’d love to see that

I feel like they were making a smartass remark.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My team lead doesn't want us putting production documentation in our Confluence space yet.

Which I get! It's technically not live, and what if something happens to it?

But MAAAAN is Teams shit for sharing documents.

cujd8fgvokl6.png

I am a rebel, writing documentation for my job!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    MOUNTAIN SHOUTIN

I wonder if they have Doctor Proctor.

Edit:
    Tav wrote: »

Oh my god that's SO much better than my stupid idea

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Your character mysteriously wakes up in the morgue. They're unkillable!

After a dozen more deaths, they solve the mystery: every time they die, a completely random other person dies with no apparent cause, in their stead.

I read a fantasy series where this was basically the premise, except It wasn’t random it was always a person the protagonist cares about and oh by the way the protagonist doesn’t figure this out right away so starts acting recklessly because they think they can get killed and come back without consequences.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Heh. Dr. Bob. That is so fitting for a knockoff.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Fuck off with your facts and shit, a Twitter story.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Also my favorite part of my cleric is I rolled her as a woodcutter when she started as a peasant

So she’s this stout, butch woman who calls down a gods wrath and smites people with her holy mace

I think she might shave the sides of her head when in town

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also when I first walked into the discussion about character death I initially thought it was describing an expulsion from the gaming sessions for the duration of that like, game or campaign

Hey we don’t fucking like you Todd, we just threw your barbarian off a mountain, don’t come back to my house next Tuesday night

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also when I first walked into the discussion about character death I initially thought it was describing an expulsion from the gaming sessions for the duration of that like, game or campaign

Hey we don’t fucking like you Todd, we just threw your barbarian off a mountain, don’t come back to my house next Tuesday night

That is the realm of the super-awkward off-screen death and GM talk to the people involved in private. :(

Edit: Actually, I guess it shouldn't be the GM's responsibility in and of themselves, but I have always seen them as the cat wrangler and the speaker for the group, especially in like store-based sessions.

Athenor on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Character death is important. Luckily 5th gives you death saves which helps. It shouldn't be done lightly by DMs. It should be feared by players and it should be something that is very much possible. Let the dice lay where they fall. Its I guess an old thought but all my groups have been built around that thought.

But also you should work with the player who died to help bring in the next character but also with the group for consequences to them. Early game deaths are pretty small for shock verse mid or late game deaths.

I will fudge numbers for story reasons as DM. I have the screen. But it is rare. And usually in the favor of the players.

But at the same time monsters are very deadly if you actually use all their abilities especially mind control and stuff which I feel most DMs shy away from not wanting to force players to give up control or do to complexity of abilities.

I also like the lair abilities in 5E. Good way to make bosses interesting fights. As you can't stop a lair.

I disagree, but then again I quit D&D in my early teens, hating it, because it was quite clear that it was just the DM turning the game into a mechanical wargame where the goal was for the DM to kill the player's characters, and I had put a bunch of time into my first character only to die in literally the first combat... woooo thats fun, and then I went back to playing World of Warcraft

Didn't come back until 5e, and there are still some remnants of that. Shit the fight I mentioned in Avernus, we've been playing Avernus for 2 months, and the last fight was against a spellcaster with fireball. We're level 3. Average damage of a fireball downs 4 out of 5 party members. that fight has a fairly high statistical chance to just end your campaign, and it isn't a meaningful or notable encounter either. How much fun would it be to waste 2 months of your life on a doomed campaign because of an NPC's roll?

That's how I feel about random character deaths, which every DM keeps saying I should do, Dice Where They Land my butt. I tried that in the first campaign I ran, and I drove a player away from my game forever because a monster crit twice in its multiattack in his first combat after he had spent a ton of time with me developing a backstory and a character arc, and the party couldn't afford to raise him so they just left his body there and went on

Nowadays, in the exact same situation, he goes down, he gets crit twice, hes coughing up blood, after the fight when they get him up he might have a severed arm, or a gut wound that needs more than simple healing, or have lost an eye. This kind of failing forward is vastly, vaaaaaaaaaaastly preferred by both myself and my players

I don't have to fudge the dice, and they get consequences, and we don't lose the campaign because an NPC rolled max on their cone of cold and TPKed everyone

Of course at their current level in the game I'm running now, no such fudging is required, death is meaningless once players get a certain amount of power anyway. I do have the fading spirit rules from Critical Role, so it is POSSIBLE for them to basically soft-lock their character out of coming back to life, so it's hardly like they're being suicidal - but if it happens, and the appropriate precautions are taken, it's likely just time and gold

override367 on
  • Options
    I have a weird story about Xenogears. For some odd reason, I found some brand new copies on sale on Amazon years after the game came out. At a good price too. I went ahead and got one. So, I still have it sitting in shrink wrap.

I guess someone found some stock that was lost or something. Hopefully, it was not stolen merchandise.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    da3zpwcohna01.jpg

Mountain Shoutin'

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    we don't have martinses around here anymore but i used to drink a lot of diet dr bob

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Convection ovens are pretty great for reheating pizza. Makes the crust super crispy.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I am currently playing a Call of Cthulhu inspired homebrew campaign my friend came up with, and my character is just exactly Ma Anand Sheela

tough titties, fish monsters

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    isn't martins and giant the same thing now. do they not have giants that far south anymore

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    isn't martins and giant the same thing now. do they not have giants that far south anymore

i haven't seen giant south of manassas but they are the same thing yeah

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

now i can't remember if it was a giant i went to in charlottesville or naw
    :psyduck:

• Options
    There is this old PS1 game called Devil Dice that has piqued my curiosity.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

now i can't remember if it was a giant i went to in charlottesville or naw
    :psyduck:

could be! i haven't been to charlottesville in a long time

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There is this old PS1 game called Devil Dice that has piqued my curiosity.

All dice are the devil's dice krathoon

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Character death is important. Luckily 5th gives you death saves which helps. It shouldn't be done lightly by DMs. It should be feared by players and it should be something that is very much possible. Let the dice lay where they fall. Its I guess an old thought but all my groups have been built around that thought.

But also you should work with the player who died to help bring in the next character but also with the group for consequences to them. Early game deaths are pretty small for shock verse mid or late game deaths.

I will fudge numbers for story reasons as DM. I have the screen. But it is rare. And usually in the favor of the players.

But at the same time monsters are very deadly if you actually use all their abilities especially mind control and stuff which I feel most DMs shy away from not wanting to force players to give up control or do to complexity of abilities.

I also like the lair abilities in 5E. Good way to make bosses interesting fights. As you can't stop a lair.

I disagree, but then again I quit D&D in my early teens, hating it, because it was quite clear that it was just the DM turning the game into a mechanical wargame where the goal was for the DM to kill the player's characters, and I had put a bunch of time into my first character only to die in literally the first combat... woooo thats fun, and then I went back to playing World of Warcraft

Didn't come back until 5e, and there are still some remnants of that. Shit the fight I mentioned in Avernus, we've been playing Avernus for 2 months, and the last fight was against a spellcaster with fireball. We're level 3. Average damage of a fireball downs 4 out of 5 party members. that fight has a fairly high statistical chance to just end your campaign, and it isn't a meaningful or notable encounter either. How much fun would it be to waste 2 months of your life on a doomed campaign because of an NPC's roll?

That's how I feel about random character deaths, which every DM keeps saying I should do, Dice Where They Land my butt. I tried that in the first campaign I ran, and I drove a player away from my game forever because a monster crit twice in its multiattack in his first combat after he had spent a ton of time with me developing a backstory and a character arc, and the party couldn't afford to raise him so they just left his body there and went on

Nowadays, in the exact same situation, he goes down, he gets crit twice, hes coughing up blood, after the fight when they get him up he might have a severed arm, or a gut wound that needs more than simple healing, or have lost an eye. This kind of failing forward is vastly, vaaaaaaaaaaastly preferred by both myself and my players

I don't have to fudge the dice, and they get consequences, and we don't lose the campaign because an NPC rolled max on their cone of cold and TPKed everyone

Of course at their current level in the game I'm running now, no such fudging is required, death is meaningless once players get a certain amount of power anyway. I do have the fading spirit rules from Critical Role, so it is POSSIBLE for them to basically soft-lock their character out of coming back to life, so it's hardly like they're being suicidal - but if it happens, and the appropriate precautions are taken, it's likely just time and gold

I've been on both sides of it. And death does suck. For the DM and the player. But the dice are there and sometimes shit happens.

We had a house rule back in my old group if you rolled a crit 3 times in a row (nat 20 not the extended range based on weapon/class) you would one shot what you are fighting. It went both ways though.

Half way through a dungeon they were fighting some black drakes used as mounts. And one of the drakes on the tail attack rolled 3 20's to confirm and one shot a character. I openly rolled it all. My players saw the whole thing. The character died. Which sucks. But we made sure it was a fully epic death.

It was part of the game. I don't know, should have I have fudged that? I don't know.

But it is part of the game.

But the full baseline rule of all this is play what best fits your group. And that people enjoy themselves. Really that is the first overriding rule of any RPG for me. For folks to have fun at the table. Use what works for your group.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    because the grocery store i went to as a child was a giant, now all grocery stores are giant

• Options
    because the grocery store i went to as a child was a giant, now all grocery stores are giant

i think that's just because you were a child but if you went to one now it would seem smaller

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I think my husband got an escooter DUI....

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
This discussion has been closed.