As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's New Consoles! XSX Nov 10, PS5 Nov 12

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    If a single game is over 500GB its developers need to learn what compression is.

Also, Call of Duty does not look so much better, or be so much bigger, to me than some other AAA games to justify that size.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    It’s actually referring to 3 games, Cold War, modern warfare, and war zone. And even within those you can uninstall tonnes of components. Like yeah they need to compress better but it’s a weird take. Also one big aspect you can uninstall is HD assets, and you only need those if you have the consoles which all come with at least 1 terabyte. There’s no reason to have all that installed on a 500gig console other than just to push it to the limit

Prohass on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I think you should be able to install more than 3 games on a system at a time

Bold stance

There are better ways to spend 500gb than call of duty

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s actually referring to 3 games, Cold War, modern warfare, and war zone. And even within those you can uninstall tonnes of components. Like yeah they need to compress better but it’s a weird take. Also one big aspect you can uninstall is HD assets, and you only need those if you have the consoles which all come with at least 1 terabyte. There’s no reason to have all that installed on a 500gig console other than just to push it to the limit

It's worth noting that the ability to separate out Warzone from COD:MW is new. Previously you had had to have the entire 255+ GB installed even if you only wanted one game mode or or the other. Plus, the two modes used some of the same assets but instead of sharing them they're just duplicated. There's been no incentive at all for them to optimize as the pressure exerted is minor at best.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    more like call of doody

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    If a single game is over 500GB its developers need to learn what compression is.

Also, Call of Duty does not look so much better, or be so much bigger, to me than some other AAA games to justify that size.

So like seriously what is the deal why is the most deliberately bog standard game that looks perfectly adequate also the colossal gigabastard game shouldnt that be some sort of No Mans Skyesque ambition-scented project

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

So like seriously what is the deal why is the most deliberately bog standard game that looks perfectly adequate also the colossal gigabastard game shouldnt that be some sort of No Mans Skyesque ambition-scented project

It comes down to the assets themselves and how they’re used. In no mans sky you’re generating from an algorithm and the textures on screen at any one time aren’t super high res, and are often made up of lots of smaller value textures and assets stitched together. Cods textures, assets and sound files and such are of a much higher quality and much more static in how they’re utilised, not in terms of like subjectively or artistically but in terms of just their size and resolution and how the game draws on them. I have no doubt it’s also badly optimised but it’s not a 1 to 1 thing with any other game. It would be better to compare it to a similar game like battlefield or something

Prohass on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's common for AAA games to have multiple copies of any individual asset in a variety of places in the file structure in order to speed up loading, since various areas may pull from those locations quicker.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    To be clear it’s absolutely bullshit and still way oversized, but it’s not always a 1 to 1 thing where game world size equals asset install size. Sound files and sound quality, dialogue lines etc, also can weigh a tonne if it’s kept uncompressed

Prohass on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I booted up my PS3 to play an old game and it has a 500gb drive in it and I forgot I have like, 30 games installed on that thing. And it's not close to full!

better times.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    To be clear it’s absolutely bullshit and still way oversized, but it’s not always a 1 to 1 thing where game world size equals asset install size. Sound files and sound quality, dialogue lines etc, also can weigh a tonne if it’s kept uncompressed

Now I'm imagining bespoke gunshot soundtracks for every bullet, every time you pull the trigger. The sound of 1 million rounds being fired was recorded, and each player hears one of those 1 million uncompressed sounds each time they shoot... no 2 players will ever hear the same order of sounds.

And when you've gone through all 1 million... it generates a new random list seed and it all begins again.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Oh yeah totally, this stuff is way more complicated than my simplistic response initially presented.

Like you said though, this is still absurd. It’s two video games, which combined, take up more space than a 500gb hard drive. The average AAA video game for the PS4/Xbox One era ran/runs between 40-60gb. RDR2, which is an absurdly big game with immense amounts of cutscenes, quests, high detailed textures and sounds, etc. was around 100gb at launch, and some quick googling shows it’s around 120gb now with Red dead Online included. Which is already pushing to the crazy point file size wise.

Sony and Microsoft should 100% be pushing back on Activision to get their shit together for those games and compress some shit or figure something out, cause I cannot believe that there is not something that can be cut to reduce the game size in a hard drive.

And heaven forbid you have a data cap like lots of people do in this country. Fucking CoD is gonna eat up most of that from downloading the game alone before even playing anything online. And there’s no way in hell the game can fit on a disc.

never die on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    At this point I'm convinced CoD sizes are a tactic to keep people playing only their game to keep battle pass and cosmetic $$$ flowing.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    At this point I'm convinced CoD sizes are a tactic to keep people playing only their game to keep battle pass and cosmetic $$$ flowing.

I never even thought of this, but yeah it could be a way of making people think twice before uninstalling, especially with war zone being free to play.

• Options
    There’s also no big need for MS/Sony to push for smaller sizes when they can just sell you Branded Storage Solutions (and for MS, PROPRIETARY Branded Storage Solutions).

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Jokes on them, no digital chains can hold my attention span

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Midnite wrote: »
    VGC wrote:
    Sony is winding down original game development at its oldest first-party developer, Japan Studio, multiple sources have told VGC.

(VGC is a games site)
    Hey this really sucks. Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Hot Shots are way more synonymous with Playstation to me than edgy crap like God of War or Last of Us.

Honestly Sony treat its 1st party stuff worse than any other company in the biz.

This is one of the reasons I’m extremely hesitant to get a PS5 (aside from being physically unable to). I REALLY liked Sony’s first party offerings in the PS1 era (Arc the Lad, Alundra, whit like that), but Sony’s been steadily moving away from that with each generation. And as much as I hate it, their reasons are valid and any attempts to push against it are a losing battle. Depending on how Sony pushes the PS5 going forward, I may just go full bore on PC this time.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Final Fantasy VII Remake, Maquette, Remnant: From the Ashes and Farpoint are the PlayStation Plus games for March. ow.ly/TDp030ryu5G

Link goes to PS Blog. That’s a darn good haul of a month for PS Plus. They say the FF7 Remake included here is NOT eligible for the free PS5 upgrade.

Remnant was a pretty fun game. Played it on PC when it was free on EGS, and Maquette was one of those games I wanted to play, but didn’t want to drop money on.

Reminder: if you have PS Plus but don’t have a PS5 yet you can claim the PS5 games on the web store and have them ready for when you do buy one.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    As a special treat for all Playstation fans, we had Square Enix cook up a version of FF7 Remake in their lab that would suck for Ps5 owners.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Squeenix gonna Squeenix.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    more like call of doody

Nah, it's just a Baby Ruth bathed in pool water.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I was planning on re upping my PS Plus subscription briefly in order to grab Control on the cheap, so I'm really excited to see FF7 Remake on there so I'll be able to get that too.

Now the challenge will be to play through them before I let my sub lapse again

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Midnite wrote: »
    VGC wrote:
    Sony is winding down original game development at its oldest first-party developer, Japan Studio, multiple sources have told VGC.

(VGC is a games site)
    Hey this really sucks. Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Hot Shots are way more synonymous with Playstation to me than edgy crap like God of War or Last of Us.

Honestly Sony treat its 1st party stuff worse than any other company in the biz.

This is one of the reasons I’m extremely hesitant to get a PS5 (aside from being physically unable to). I REALLY liked Sony’s first party offerings in the PS1 era (Arc the Lad, Alundra, whit like that), but Sony’s been steadily moving away from that with each generation. And as much as I hate it, their reasons are valid and any attempts to push against it are a losing battle. Depending on how Sony pushes the PS5 going forward, I may just go full bore on PC this time.

Don't they own like 4 other first party studios? There's plenty of non edgy content from the likes of Insomniac to look forward to

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I was planning on re upping my PS Plus subscription briefly in order to grab Control on the cheap, so I'm really excited to see FF7 Remake on there so I'll be able to get that too.

Pretty sure you don't need an active sub once you've claimed the games

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    For PS Plus games you do.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

You don't "lose" PS Plus games you've claimed if your subscription lapses, but they won't let you play them until you start giving them money again

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Control took me less than a week to finish

But that's partially because it scratched several severe itches for me and I had a hard time putting it down.

It's not particularly long is what I'm saying.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    #pipe wrote: »
    Control took me less than a week to finish

But that's partially because it scratched several severe itches for me and I had a hard time putting it down.

It's not particularly long is what I'm saying.

Same for me. Control put me in a constant state of "keep going, stopping is for quitters"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

You don't "lose" PS Plus games you've claimed if your subscription lapses, but they won't let you play them until you start giving them money again

Your cloud saves are also locked up if your subscription expires, and if you don’t resubscribe after 6 months they can delete your cloud data.

That’s one of the things MS actually got right last generation; everybody, including free accounts, gets cloud saves.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Control should be the gold standard in any game that lets me be a motherfucking wizard. It's the first game where I truly felt like an actual wizard when I cut loose.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Kudos to the Control devs for the assist options, cause hoo boy I would not have beaten it otherwise.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    the 2016 Ratchet & Clank reboot is free to claim for the month of March: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA01047_00-RATCHETPS4000000
    Just sign in with a playstation account, you don't even need a PS4 or 5

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

TEXT:
    METKIS™ Retweeted
    R41ÑB0W TR4$H
    @rnbwtrsh
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @metkis
    and
    @JeielVtx
    WHAAAAT?!?
    0:11 / 0:17
    well at least the kids are learning something

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/583950/view/3047218819080842820

Artifact joins Anthem in the "Game that starts with an A, made by a major developer, that flopped on release and was being reworked for a relaunch but then development of the Relaunch was suspended." folder.

Somehow this folder has more than one entry.

EDIT: Well, this was the wrong thread.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

TEXT:
    METKIS™ Retweeted
    R41ÑB0W TR4$H
    @rnbwtrsh
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @metkis
    and
    @JeielVtx
    WHAAAAT?!?
    0:11 / 0:17
    well at least the kids are learning something

This is just for training child fighting game champions

Also woo managed to get a ps5 in australia. This year (2020-21) I bought all the damn platforms, a new pc, a switch, series x, and now this. Ive previously only ever had an xbox since like the xbox first launched. Altho I think i breifly had a gamecube, my last playstation was the original. It was chipped to play burnt games! Thats how old it was.

My backlog is now multiple systems big. I have playstation games i bought in anticipation of owning a playstation....

now the trick is to not spend any more money on anything ever

HOOLLLLDDDDD

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/hogwarts-legacy-developer-quits-following-backlash-over-1846412298

"I'm secure in my position, but also I'm leaving suddenly" is... something.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean I always quit my jobs when I have a good relationship with my employer and have good job security. I also then always announce I'm making a youtube video about, presumably, how I was forced out due to "out of control leftist cancel culture" despite the aforementioned job security.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The twitter thread is some delicious meat with the usual suspects screeching how they'll never buy the game now that he's been forced out. With any luck no one on either side will buy it and it'll flop so Rowling gets a pittance.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Is it too much to hope that the guy tries to record a video for his YouTube channel and misses and plunges into the sea, never to be seen again?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Is it too much to hope that the guy tries to record a video for his YouTube channel and misses and plunges into the sea, never to be seen again?

W1mfhTF.jpg

This discussion has been closed.