As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I've started playing Karma and everything finally clicked for me mechanics wise with her today.

Me and my ADC buddy I met ran the map like our own personal fiefdom and the taxes we were extracting from the peasants was their tears. Holy shit Karma is ridiculous. How has her R --> Q not been nerfed?

Her with the moonstone is absurd. She was pretty weak last season, so glad to play her now

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I don’t have a lot of experience but I think the R Q is one of those things that feels a lot stronger when you’re ahead? I’ve always logged it mentally as “pancake Glitterlance”

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    Viego has an absurd amount of champion overhead holy moly.

They never would have made this champ 7 years ago. It's kind of crazy how much their philosophy has shifted.

I havn't had a chance to take him out against human opponents since I don't normally jungle... but he honestly reminds me a bit of Yi. Farm for a bit, get a Bork, hit VIEGO TIME and sword face. The possession mechanic is a neat bonus, but his base kit's good enough (and honestly pretty straightforward) that it'll just be a bonus. Probably could just think of it as a free heal and charge of his ult when you kill someone and do fine. It'll be interesting to see what high-level players do with him.

Here's a game analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQZPHBSd78

Btw for folks interested in getting better at jungling (or if you want to think like a jungler to avoid ganks) this channel is absolutely amazing and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Roz on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i just missed the freest game winning penta of my entire life because i panic whiffed a 100% chance to hit jinx ult since i knew it was for a penta.

i am sad. we still won but i only have 1 true penta ever on jinx.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    how to jungle: pick a lane. pick an emote to spam. prepare ur ? for all chat

repeat gank spamming emotes and ? in all chat until that player enters the tilt zone

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular

repeat gank spamming emotes and ? in all chat until that player enters the tilt zone

You monster

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

My favorite jungle experience was coordinating with a top lane that was being camped to fake being tilted so we could set up big baits. Hiding nearby ready to punish a tower dive as Gangplank complains in all chat about how I'm farming wraiths again.

Scheck is right though this is the true jungle secret, the only lane you need to really camp is all chat lane.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

My favorite jungle experience was coordinating with a top lane that was being camped to fake being tilted so we could set up big baits. Hiding nearby ready to punish a tower dive as Gangplank complains in all chat about how I'm farming wraiths again.

Scheck is right though this is the true jungle secret, the only lane you need to really camp is all chat lane.

Huh, this is pretty smart psy-ops! I’ve never seen all chat used to actually win, I’ve had it disabled for years

I also spam the “call me” emote whenever a play goes well, it seems very cheeky to me

• Options
    All chat is your third summoner spell.

It's dangerous, but can be very effective. Which is why I turn all chat off and mute emotes once someone starts using them to spam because I don't want to tilt lol.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    My auto-emotes have been diversifying as I've unlocked more and as my playgroup organized a single Ace emote and the like, but my first blood emote will never change from the Leona "concerned" one.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    My quick emote is Soraka's This is Fine, because I do in fact play with an ever-present mug of Twinings earl grey within reach to help soothe the grey screen blues.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    love when 4 minutes into the game the adc decides to abandon me to lane by myself as soraka and follow the jg around for the rest of the game trying to steal their camps for some unknowable perceived slight. and never says anything so they will never, ever be punished. and then votes no on surrender so we have to wait until 22 minutes.

the absolute worst part about league of legends is the community, and the fact that riot does functionally nothing to police it. for all their empty talk about game ruining behavior, i sure still get it all the gd time.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Extremely satisfying Jhin ult:

https://youtu.be/6eN2JFdzmjQ

I'm glad that we managed to recover that game. Their teamcomp was irritating!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    love when 4 minutes into the game the adc decides to abandon me to lane by myself as soraka and follow the jg around for the rest of the game trying to steal their camps for some unknowable perceived slight. and never says anything so they will never, ever be punished. and then votes no on surrender so we have to wait until 22 minutes.

the absolute worst part about league of legends is the community, and the fact that riot does functionally nothing to police it. for all their empty talk about game ruining behavior, i sure still get it all the gd time.

I had a shen do this to me after I got a double kill in a 2v2 skirmish where he died and then set the lane up to freeze for his opponent (so it'd be back to re-gank when both of us had reset).

He then went afk when he realized that he couldn't be a little piss baby thief to a Lillia with Inspiration Smite CD's and I wasn't going to respond past just trying to play the game to win.

I still ended 7/1.

Fucking games wild.

• Options
    I'm actually having the most fun with League that I think I've ever had.
    I placed Iron 2 (laaaaaaame) but 18 games in am 99lp Bronze 1. This is the most ranked I've played. I'm mainly playing Nami with Leona secondary depending on comp.
    My current goals are:
    1. Get Silver.
    2. Die less.
    3. No, seriously, die less, you feeder.
    4. Continue improving warding.

Stretch goal? Gold. I bet I can do it!

• Options
    i want someone at riot's balance team to look me square in the eyes and tell me what i'm supposed to do as a full build jinx against kassadin or khazix.

i literally get onetapped by either of them at a range of literally the whole screen. is the solution just fuckin play kaisa so you can instakill them right back? this shit sucks so much right now, burst is just way too high. dying to khazix in <.5 seconds in the middle of my entire team so no isolation, and then duskblade procs so he's invsible so he doesn't even have to trade for his life. Or a Kassadin doing 1900 damage to me in a single R when I basically have as much MR as it's possible for an adc to have. It's just absurd.

There aren't even any defensive items of note anymore, death's dance last season at least gave you some resists, and it was possible to build maw too. I just have no god damned idea what I'm supposed to do.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    i want someone at riot's balance team to look me square in the eyes and tell me what i'm supposed to do as a full build jinx against kassadin or khazix.

i literally get onetapped by either of them at a range of literally the whole screen. is the solution just fuckin play kaisa so you can instakill them right back? this shit sucks so much right now, burst is just way too high. dying to khazix in <.5 seconds in the middle of my entire team so no isolation, and then duskblade procs so he's invsible so he doesn't even have to trade for his life. Or a Kassadin doing 1900 damage to me in a single R when I basically have as much MR as it's possible for an adc to have. It's just absurd.

There aren't even any defensive items of note anymore, death's dance last season at least gave you some resists, and it was possible to build maw too. I just have no god damned idea what I'm supposed to do.

In a teamfight your team is supposed to help keep you safe; your positioning is supposed to take care of the rest. At our elo, this happens...seldom (but sometimes! Randos that play Alistar or Janna tend to actually peel, and there's the occasional tank top laner or jungler who decides to actually do their job).

I love an immobile adc but I gotta say, playing Kai'sa when you see that your team is going to go full dive and no peel and their team is going to go full assassin/dive saves me a lot of heartache. I had already been playing a decent amount of Kai'sa in flex/for practice so it's a natural fallback for me, but I do recommend it in general for when you look at your team's hovers and see Camille+Vi+Akali+Pyke, or shit like that.

That said, in a non-teamfight situation, an assassin who is equally or somewhat less fed than you should be able to kill you, because otherwise what is the point of an assassin.

Are you ever building immortal shieldbow to help deal with burst or are you married to your One True Build?
    I build all sorts of dumb shit to stay alive depending on the game, was playing mid the other day and ended up with a Silvermere Dawn on Xerath cause I needed the QSS into Malz and Skarner and game went late enough that i was full build ;_;

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    credeiki wrote: »

In a teamfight your team is supposed to help keep you safe; your positioning is supposed to take care of the rest. At our elo, this happens...seldom (but sometimes! Randos that play Alistar or Janna tend to actually peel, and there's the occasional tank top laner or jungler who decides to actually do their job).

I love an immobile adc but I gotta say, playing Kai'sa when you see that your team is going to go full dive and no peel and their team is going to go full assassin/dive saves me a lot of heartache. I had already been playing a decent amount of Kai'sa in flex/for practice so it's a natural fallback for me, but I do recommend it in general for when you look at your team's hovers and see Camille+Vi+Akali+Pyke, or shit like that.

That said, in a non-teamfight situation, an assassin who is equally or somewhat less fed than you should be able to kill you, because otherwise what is the point of an assassin.

Are you ever building immortal shieldbow to help deal with burst or are you married to your One True Build?
    I build all sorts of dumb shit to stay alive depending on the game, was playing mid the other day and ended up with a Silvermere Dawn on Xerath cause I needed the QSS into Malz and Skarner and game went late enough that i was full build ;_;

shieldbow is pretty awful right now on most adcs imo because i don't find it actually saves you and it hurts your damage so much, a couple hundred hp doesn't even bother most champions who are doing true damage to you because resists are so low. next patch it'll be better at least.

i am fine with an assassin killing me if i make a mistake. i'm not fine with an assassin instakilling me in the very center of my team, 1v5, and then running away invisible. that is not an interaction paradigm that is healthy for the video game. at least before when rengar or khazix would jump on your face and instakill you inside your team, they basically died for free.

idk, GA not having crit meaning it's difficult to impossible to go chain vest, and there's no magic resist itemization that doesn't suck. bruisers don't want maw when they have steraks, i wish they would just make it for adcs.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

shieldbow is pretty awful right now on most adcs imo because i don't find it actually saves you and it hurts your damage so much, a couple hundred hp doesn't even bother most champions who are doing true damage to you because resists are so low. next patch it'll be better at least.

i am fine with an assassin killing me if i make a mistake. i'm not fine with an assassin instakilling me in the very center of my team, 1v5, and then running away invisible. that is not an interaction paradigm that is healthy for the video game. at least before when rengar or khazix would jump on your face and instakill you inside your team, they basically died for free.

idk, GA not having crit meaning it's difficult to impossible to go chain vest, and there's no magic resist itemization that doesn't suck. bruisers don't want maw when they have steraks, i wish they would just make it for adcs.

i think that most of the time an assassin should kill an adc or mage unless there is a big disparity in gold/level or skill. otherwise what do you have assassins for at all? killing an adc who "makes a mistake"? so if the adc plays well they should just never die?

I think that if you are an adc and you consistently kill/survive kha and kass that's something that should feel like a big deal because they SHOULD be killing you

I mean i play mid mages almost exclusively and it doesn't surprise me when the enemy zed can dive me and blow me up, that's what he is supposed to be doing. My job isn't to kill zed, it's to blow up the bruisers and tanks.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I find that Shieldbow does save you. It's really, really notable how much longer you live, to the point where I will like, stop autoing/stop piloting my character because I should be dead, and then I'm like whoa, wait what I am totally alive!
    It definitely hurts your damage--that's the tradeoff. I would also expect it has a low winrate on people who only build it situationally, because those people are building it in response to situations where they think they are gonna die (but I bet that it helps them win more than not building it would have). That said, what hurts your damage more is being dead and unable to auto!
    Shieldbow is the defensive item for adcs, even though it's not the one you're used to. The giant shield from burst damage is really quite big.

I actually haven't been having much in the way of problems with the invisible assassins this season,even though normally they infuriate me. This season I've been struggling more with run-at-you champs--Hecarim, Udyr, Yi, that sort of thing. Or with Galio/Vladimir who do way too much damage considering how tanky they are, and also how come when I play Vladimir he doesn't do damage and also isn't tanky.

Oh also wrt magic resist itemization, I build Mercurial Scimitar all the time and it's great. I love that it has crit now!

credeiki on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I have a lot of fun doing mono-lifesteal Xayah (guardian hammer, shieldbow, BT) in ARAM because if the opponents line up to get hit by your pierces you can just sit there and full heal every other auto.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Scimitar is good if you need the qss, but it’s not as good as maw was last season of f you just need to survive magic damage.

And if an assassin can kill an adc no matter what, no matter where they are, and get away, then the adc doesn’t get to play the game. Of course the adc or their team has to make a mistake for an assassin to be able to kill a squishy without penalty. Otherwise squishy champs literally don’t exist.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm trying to play this again after 3 years and the only champion I'm having any luck on is anivia which is weird because literally everything is teleport on top of you and murder you. I'm too old to relearn all this shit

• Options
    yay more karma buffs!

also I sometimes see little blue swords/axes crossed pop up over the head of champions sometimes. what is that?

• Options
    yay more karma buffs!

also I sometimes see little blue swords/axes crossed pop up over the head of champions sometimes. what is that?

I wonder that all the time and I believe it's related to one of the runes

Aha, the internet suggests it pops up when you get a stack of gathering storm.

2juua3hwggdo.png

• Options
    Ya that’s gathering storm.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    yay more karma buffs!

I wonder that all the time and I believe it's related to one of the runes

Aha, the internet suggests it pops up when you get a stack of gathering storm.

2juua3hwggdo.png

Haha I wouldn’t have guessed that in a million years! It doesn’t look anything like gathering storm

• Options
    i think the worst thing about bot lane is that you have literally no agency and if your random support doesn't make the same decision as you, or you're against a duo, or they just play bad, you have basically nothing you can do.

i've played 4 games on jinx tonight trying out the changes and i'm 1-3 and literally no game was a game after about 3 minutes. all 4 had ~10k gold difference at 10 minutes, to the point where i'm level 7 and autoattack a trundle 25 times on a gank while he tries to kill my support because it's the only way we're getting out of the fight, and he's at half hp before he eventually turns and oneshots me.

idk man i just would like to have some control, any control, over the way the lane goes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Haven't been playing tons of soloq games a day but it's been going pretty well

x3y43ffgkau8.png

• Options
    edited February 2021
    you might look at that page and rightly ask, credeiki that sure is a lot of wins in a row on Jhin and but you have barely above a 50% winrate on him this season though?

...yes that's valid; it took me a minute to 1. figure out that in some games picking Jhin is not gonna be a good time and 2. reset my playstyle and don't braindead afk push/constantly fight while playing Jhin. I think I'm back in the swing of things now though.

credeiki on
  • Options
    ya jhin and kaisa are good and have agency but they're basically assassins in disguise lol.

overall i think these changes were pretty power neutral for jinx, her lategame is certainly stronger, but her lategame has always been strong (though still less strong than it used to be in season 10 due to item paths) and that's not the problem anyway. honestly i think if they just removed the increased mana cost on chompers it'd be fine, or something small. casting chompers now is like 1/3rd of your mana bar. the reduced arming time is really nice, but god jinx already has such mana problems in early game where she's already very weak, i think we probably could have just gone with the hp nerf.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ya jhin and kaisa are good and have agency but they're basically assassins in disguise lol.

overall i think these changes were pretty power neutral for jinx, her lategame is certainly stronger, but her lategame has always been strong (though still less strong than it used to be in season 10 due to item paths) and that's not the problem anyway. honestly i think if they just removed the increased mana cost on chompers it'd be fine, or something small. casting chompers now is like 1/3rd of your mana bar. the reduced arming time is really nice, but god jinx already has such mana problems in early game where she's already very weak, i think we probably could have just gone with the hp nerf.

I'm not good at Jinx but the buffs seem very good+hit at what bothers me about playing Jinx (I am too slow with chompers and the rockets just take forever at first to come out of the gun). Curious to see if they make her feel better to me to play.

I play Kai'sa and Jhin very differently in lane+in fights. 'Assassins in disguise' doesn't feel right--I mean I don't play them like I play Diana (constantly all in and try to kill my opponent, then roam bot. Or if the allin isn't working, try to push in and roam bot). Also I do play MF with a good winrate, and I don't think you could call her an 'assassin in disguise' (especially since I basically don't use my ult hahahaha). But also, I didn't intend my post to be in direct response to yours--just happy I'm doing well in soloQ for now.

Kai'sa: If I do not have a lead, I play a very cautious Kai'sa who only engages if my support has hard cc or we get a friendly gank, and who often just chills close to my tower until the time is right. If it looks like I need to be available for dragon I do push the lane in. Once we get to teamfights, I prefer to play as an assassin, but if the purple stuff doesn't manage to get onto the backline, I will happily shred whoever is closest with hurricane+lethal tempo like a more conventional adc, kiting back with E. And of course for smaller skirmishes I ult in every time, even if that means actually I just int in, because I can't help it. Once the game is going I usually can splitpush and 1v1 like a non-adc; feels very special and unique to Kai'sa (probably Vayne too but I don't play her).

Jhin: man idk it is really really dependent on the situation and on how bad my support is. I like to push--and Jhin pushes naturally cause I'll use the back line of minions to increase the range on my grenade. Trap coverage of gank paths makes this safer than you would think. I don't really 'allin' per se, but instead work on poking down the enemy. If they get low or me and my support have a bunch of damage, then yes, I do stun them and walk up and just try to walk at them, but there's usually poking prep work there, unless their positioning is really bad and we can catch one of them alone. If I can flash+4th shot someone I will absolutely go for it since it's the most satisfying thing. In teamfights again it really depends; ideally I'm not really in there and instead tag someone with a stun, have my team engage, ult, then clean up with autos. But obviously sometimes I need to be in there autoing. Outside of fights, I should *never* splitpush too far up. If I'm super ahead I might be able to 1v1 while kiting back but maybe not.

• Options
    i think the worst thing about bot lane is that you have literally no agency and if your random support doesn't make the same decision as you, or you're against a duo, or they just play bad, you have basically nothing you can do.

It varies based on playstyle and ELO, but as you play better opponents this gets more and more true for every position.

If you're top and the enemy jungler is camping you while your jungler is just farming, you're gonna have a bad game. If you're the jungler and the enemy mid roams constantly to prevent you from contesting river while your mid hugs the tower, you're gonna have a bad game.

Some games are realistically out of your control, but learning to mitigate bad lanes / partners / matchups is a critical skill. You will have plenty of games where your support is not on the same page (or is just bad), but some of those games can still come out to wins if you manage to end laning at 1/2/4 instead of 0/6/2.

• Options

It varies based on playstyle and ELO, but as you play better opponents this gets more and more true for every position.

If you're top and the enemy jungler is camping you while your jungler is just farming, you're gonna have a bad game. If you're the jungler and the enemy mid roams constantly to prevent you from contesting river while your mid hugs the tower, you're gonna have a bad game.

Some games are realistically out of your control, but learning to mitigate bad lanes / partners / matchups is a critical skill. You will have plenty of games where your support is not on the same page (or is just bad), but some of those games can still come out to wins if you manage to end laning at 1/2/4 instead of 0/6/2.

This is big, yeah.

My current playstyle is to trust my support entirely and follow their plays--until they show themselves to have bad judgment. Once they make a bad play, and/or I realize I've totally overestimated the likelihood of us winning 2v2 (and fine yeah we get doublekilled) I switch to ultra conservative play mode and wait for the game to progress. And often, either someone in another lane does ok and I can just come out of lane at 0/1/0 even farm and then contribute to teamfights and get big there, or the jungler comes to gank my lane cause I have it frozen, and we regain our botlane advantage.

Or everyone in the game sucks and I also suck, but like, if everyone else in the game sucks, my playing my lane better probably wasn't going to save it anyway.

And of course the above is an ideal; sometimes I get stuck in some sort of weird tilt/fight mode where I try to fight anyway, or I just can't quite stay away from their engage and it's a snowballing disaster. But that is not too common.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    heres how to play bot lane

u look the enemy weaklings in the eye and u fight them. u fight them until somebody is dead, preferably everybody. wave at ur tower and missing last hits? im chasing this ashe to her fucking fountain

support running down river? u best believe im following that floating meep collector into baron pit idgaf

the key is massive casualties. if not theirs, at least it can be urs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

the key is massive casualties. if not theirs, at least it can be urs

Don't be a coward. Do both. Play Kog Maw.

• Options
    Nobody else is, I miss kogmaw. Splodey dog was so fun last season :(

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    what's a jungler with a bonkers farming that gets fat late game who is not udyr. I used to play j4 all the time but he feels outdated now. I tried nocturne and he does have bonkers farming but he's squish and a one trick pony

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what's a jungler with a bonkers farming that gets fat late game who is not udyr. I used to play j4 all the time but he feels outdated now. I tried nocturne and he does have bonkers farming but he's squish and a one trick pony

Lillia?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius