As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'd like to thank Riot for changing their match algorithms such that I went from being 110+ wins over losses in ARAM down to barely 50 games wins over losses. Thanks a lot! :x

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm on a 5 win streak with Yorick in normal draft with my friend and brother. I've gotten to third tower/inhib every time and the last two games I went against Jax which I'm kind of surprised I ended up winning.

Now I need to grab some RP and get some Meowrick chromas.

I've also had the enemy team say top diff in 3 games now and flame their top laner. Feels good.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm on a 5 win streak with Yorick in normal draft with my friend and brother. I've gotten to third tower/inhib every time and the last two games I went against Jax which I'm kind of surprised I ended up winning.

I've also had the enemy team say top diff in 3 games now and flame their top laner. Feels good.

Clearly you need no coaching about Yorick

(Also, the Essence Emporium should be opening soon, which might have Meowrick chromas available for BE? I can't really keep track of when which ones go on sale or not.)

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    Ivellius wrote: »

(Also, the Essence Emporium should be opening soon, which might have Meowrick chromas available for BE? I can't really keep track of when which ones go on sale or not.)

Damn, wish I knew about the essence emporium. I only have about 1700 right now but I've bought like 5 champs with essence in the last month and a half.

Is there a good way to farm up blue essence? So far it seems like I can only get 50 a day for win of the day.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm really enjoying Yorick so far. I've won against Quinn, Jayce, and Voli up in top lane and I've pushed to 3 tower top twice before the enemy team surrendered and just now I was able to push down the inhib entirely.

The Voli win felt a little empty. The Voli went AP for some reason so I feel like he was way easier to beat. What is a good CS amount per time? For the Quinn game I had 137 by 18:09, for Jayce it was 156 by 22:49, and the one against Voli it was 267 by 32:30. I'm not really sure what good CS is supposed to look like but I feel pretty good about my numbers.

I feel like as long as I keep banning Darius I should end up with pretty favorable matches.

Unless things have changed voli has some insane ap ratios. So if he's ahead,, it's just like going full ad as j4 pretty much.

RickRude on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »

Damn, wish I knew about the essence emporium. I only have about 1700 right now but I've bought like 5 champs with essence in the last month and a half.

Is there a good way to farm up blue essence? So far it seems like I can only get 50 a day for win of the day.

if you buy the passes, turning coins into champ shards is pretty much the best way to get BE. 50 coins for a 4800+ champ shard is a whole lot of BE.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    honestly i think i'm done with league for a while, i hate playing adc now and i don't enjoy playing other lanes with how much damage there is.

it's just not fun, i've played like 25 games since the items across 3 roles and i don't think i've had fun a single time. i truly don't know what they're thinking with this update, among the worst i've ever seen in a video game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    So I got placed bot and I legit hate Swain's Nevermore range. I think it is kind of stupid that his Nevermore has an 850 range and can go through minions.

I don't mind Blitz, Naut, Thresh, or Pyke because they pull whatever they hit but Nevermore still has more range than every ADC so I can't even safely get into auto range.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So I got placed bot and I legit hate Swain's Nevermore range. I think it is kind of stupid that his Nevermore has an 850 range and can go through minions.

I don't mind Blitz, Naut, Thresh, or Pyke because they pull whatever they hit but Nevermore still has more range than every ADC so I can't even safely get into auto range.

with stuff like that u gotta just keep a map of 850 units and keep track of how hes predicting ur movements and bait him hard or use the predictability of his movement to troll him in other ways. if hes doing nothing but fiending to grasp u on cd this is very counterable, especially if ur support has the powerful passive aggressive energy

the common triggers are gonna be him knowing ur going for specific last hits, especially cannons

if hes predicting ur cannon csing u can bait him into whatever ur supports combo is relatively easily, just make sure u dont give away u know his plan

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    With tanks being so overtuned right now I feel like this is a real strong time to go back to tank Karthus, which was low key actually really good still last season and I can only imagine how obnoxious it could be right now before the items get brought down to earth, which I guess is coming pretty soon but whatevs hopefully it doesn't kill the build.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

with stuff like that u gotta just keep a map of 850 units and keep track of how hes predicting ur movements and bait him hard or use the predictability of his movement to troll him in other ways. if hes doing nothing but fiending to grasp u on cd this is very counterable, especially if ur support has the powerful passive aggressive energy

the common triggers are gonna be him knowing ur going for specific last hits, especially cannons

if hes predicting ur cannon csing u can bait him into whatever ur supports combo is relatively easily, just make sure u dont give away u know his plan

Other option is play Sivir and spellshield his bullshit (just make sure you spellshield it on the way back and not on the way out—if you E too early you just shield the damage from the first pass through not the hook from the return.
    Similarly, Samira or Morgana will do the same thing for you (Morgana hard counters Swain in lane while providing much more utility, recommended countermatchup for sure)
    But yeah as Scheck says get onto the wavelength of their Swain and you will be able to dodge or predict his shit. All he can do outside of ult is a single hook that has to go all the way out and then come back so if you can dodge that, your support can provide a lot more than he can.
    Super advanced tactic: stand in front of your minions so his hook catches them on the way back instead of you (use with caution lol)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Yorick so far. I've won against Quinn, Jayce, and Voli up in top lane and I've pushed to 3 tower top twice before the enemy team surrendered and just now I was able to push down the inhib entirely.

The Voli win felt a little empty. The Voli went AP for some reason so I feel like he was way easier to beat. What is a good CS amount per time? For the Quinn game I had 137 by 18:09, for Jayce it was 156 by 22:49, and the one against Voli it was 267 by 32:30. I'm not really sure what good CS is supposed to look like but I feel pretty good about my numbers.

I feel like as long as I keep banning Darius I should end up with pretty favorable matches.

I think you can average 10/min.

I know that aiming for 100 at 10 mins means that you are in a very good place and ending a 30 min game in the low to mid 200s is where you want to be.

That's if you are top/mid/bot. jung idk because jungle cs is different

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

Swains never move is pretty hard to hit on a champ that’s moving laterally

If an adc is running straight at me to get a minion it’s easy to catch him

One moving diagonally or left / right is much harder. Even staying in range but being ready to move left or right when swain casts makes it tough

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    honestly i think i'm done with league for a while, i hate playing adc now and i don't enjoy playing other lanes with how much damage there is.

it's just not fun, i've played like 25 games since the items across 3 roles and i don't think i've had fun a single time. i truly don't know what they're thinking with this update, among the worst i've ever seen in a video game.

Pre season is always like this. It can be fun depending on items and your role, or frustrating if balance is off. And balance is always off in preseason. Im upset too, I am every year. They'll get this.

I've hated all the changes they've made over the years but they've worked out. I really questioned the jungle plants and dragon changes, but they just seem right now.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I've had my fill. I don't care for the state of the game right now and I've got too much other stuff on my plate to play now.

Maybe once everything settles down in a few months, but for now I'm done. Good luck yall!

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Was playing malzahar on aram last night and with just the two burn items (new liandrys and demonic embrace (?)), a simple Q-E combo nearly one-tapped the enemy Caitlyn. There’s just a shocking amount of damage in the current patch.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    spoilering the kind of weird preview img for the music video I really like this song actually--much better than More. Cool video, too!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I've had my fill. I don't care for the state of the game right now and I've got too much other stuff on my plate to play now.

Maybe once everything settles down in a few months, but for now I'm done. Good luck yall!

Take a break, play some aram, just have fun. Only play serious modes if you've found something busted or want to try something.

Come back in a few months everything will be normal again.

RickRude on
  • Options
    u4xbtjx48yef.jpg

how dare they try to play league of tanks

I don't wanna play a tank!

(20 kill support brand heheheh (ward item, liandry's, sorc boots, morello, zhonyas, void staff)

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    u4xbtjx48yef.jpg

(20 kill support brand heheheh (ward item, liandry's, sorc boots, morello, zhonyas, void staff)

With a support like that, I say carry me please.

Was it a fun lane with him?

• Options
    Thank you all for the tips for Swain. I definitely feel like I have a plan and something to work on next time I face Swain and other grab champs in general.

I had a pretty close game tonight. Got autofilled support and was going to play Senna but the other team took her first so I went Maokai. It was weird cause I felt I couldn't get tanky enough fast enough so I died a few times because I over estimated my survivability but in general I feel like we could have won the game. My team had more kills, gold, and basically even on objectives. We got 4 kills fighting for Eldar dragon, lost 1 person and got Eldar dragon and then it turned into a base race to win and unfortunately the enemy Jax only had to take an inhib and our nexus while Nunu, Kayle and me had an inhib and two nexus towers. Our Aphelios tried to stop Jax but it did not work.

Lame part is our Zoe apparently wouldn't stop bitching and being toxic. I muted the Zoe player but my friend didn't and told me at the end about it.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    u4xbtjx48yef.jpg

I mean I’m playing under elo in flex queue, so even though I don’t think of myself as a good Brand, when I’m playing in the godforsaken depths of silver I can land my shit pretty well.
    I actually felt kinda threatened in lane by the yorick/soraka because they put me in the cage and put a silence in the cage and I couldn’t flash out! And my adc did nothing at all all game. What was more fun for me was the roams, skirmishes, and teamfights, cause the enemy team wasn’t very mobile so I could very easily stun+combo anyone I wanted on their team, then wait for the perfect moment to ult. Very satisfying.

Brand has felt very strong to me for the last few months and I’m considering playing him more. This game was just for the end of season ‘which champions haven’t I gotten a lootbox on yet’ endeavor.

• Options
    u4xbtjx48yef.jpg

I mean I’m playing under elo in flex queue, so even though I don’t think of myself as a good Brand, when I’m playing in the godforsaken depths of silver I can land my shit pretty well.
    I actually felt kinda threatened in lane by the yorick/soraka because they put me in the cage and put a silence in the cage and I couldn’t flash out! And my adc did nothing at all all game. What was more fun for me was the roams, skirmishes, and teamfights, cause the enemy team wasn’t very mobile so I could very easily stun+combo anyone I wanted on their team, then wait for the perfect moment to ult. Very satisfying.

Brand has felt very strong to me for the last few months and I’m considering playing him more. This game was just for the end of season ‘which champions haven’t I gotten a lootbox on yet’ endeavor.

Oh, you were the brand. Nice job. I love brand. When I first started playing this game I bought brand and played him mid mostly leveling from 1-30 on my original account. Love him, and honestly, he probably makes a better support than a mid.

Ahhh my original account, if I still had that I'd probably have all the champs and skins in the game.

• Options
    So the rumor is perkz to c9 and his buy-out was between 4 and 5 million. So who knows what his contract is worth

• Options
    it is legit baffling people get paid millions of dollars to play for a league that literally only loses money.

i mean good on them for getting paid but idk who is using it as a giant money laundering apparatus to prop it up or whatever.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    it is legit baffling people get paid millions of dollars to play for a league that literally only loses money.

i mean good on them for getting paid but idk who is using it as a giant money laundering apparatus to prop it up or whatever.

They brought it up on the dive, major league soccer has like a 4.5million team cap and field 22 players. Perkz might be making 3 mil a year

• Options
    soccer teams make billions of dollars a year

league teams lose money

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

league teams lose money

That's global soccer teams, not american ones. They bring in much less money than the other professional sports which is why the cap is so low.

I'm guessing some of these teams are making money or why do it at all?

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

league teams lose money

That's global soccer teams, not american ones. They bring in much less money than the other professional sports which is why the cap is so low.

I'm guessing some of these teams are making money or why do it at all?

TSM and C9 make money (TSM off its other business ventures and I think C9 is actually properly profitable). TL might be? Unsure.

Most of the rest are propped up by venture capital/their investors (like the NBA teams that invested in golden guardians) and some money from Riot. The league itself I believe is poised to turn a profit either this past year or next year.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I was under the impression that it's pretty commonly accepted that League teams in the West are basically money sinks and almost nobody is making money from their league orgs. Teams with diverse portfolios are generally the ones who are better off.
    It's why Europe is so invested in promoting from the National Leagues, not because most of these fuckers really care about developing talent but just because it's a cheap way of running things and can make the orgs somewhat sustainable.

Dyvim Tvar on
  • Options
    So perkz is coming to na and the news is rekkles is going to g2 to replace him.

I'm guessing perkz is getting paid. Like texas money. Why would he leave a world contender unless he just really wanted to play mid, and even then, he probably could have stayed in eu.

I'm excited for the next season already

• Options
    There's a rumour out there that Carlos wasn't willing to entertain the notion of allowing an EU team to buy Perkz out (specifically Fnatic) and so if Perkz wanted out of ADC (and who doesn't right now :bzz:) then the minor region was all he was able to explore.

• Options
    First game of the night I was Ashe with my friend playing support Sona and it was going pretty poorly for a long time cause they had Kat and Kha and they were getting super fed and we kept not surrendering and the enemy team could have 100% won the game but decided to be dipshits and taunt at the fountain and we murdered them and kept killing Shaco and Kha as they tried to stealth to the nexus and kill it.

Eventually we caught Kha out and then I ulted Kat as we chased them down mid and we ended up killing all but Naut and Shaco and they decided to race us for the nexus which they failed miserably and we won.

Fucking clowns taunting at the nexus get what they deserve, a big L.

We haven't been able to win since that game though, had a really good game as Vi but we lost and then got put into support and went Senna and we did decently bot but Yone is still Yone so we lost.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Is yone fun to play as or frustrating? I have a champ shard, but I've never been able to really understand how to play yasuo.

RickRude on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I hate how insanely strong tanks and assassins are right now.

Also can't wait for the nerf to liandrys and demonic embrace.

Stragint on

• Options
    I just want to know one thing m. Why did they get rid of rod of ages? It was one of my favorite items.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just want to know one thing m. Why did they get rid of rod of ages? It was one of my favorite items.

Its mechanic necessitated it being a first buy item but its kit didn't fit their mold of a Mythic item.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Its mechanic necessitated it being a first buy item but its kit didn't fit their mold of a Mythic item.

It was also a very non interactive item. They wanted to get rid of stat sticks.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

It was also a very non interactive item. They wanted to get rid of stat sticks.

The healing part of it was one of the key reasons why I bought it!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    in the broad sense a bunch of characters but most notably kassadin/ryze have scaling with mana in a way other heroes do not, and roa ended up being a crutch that made some mana-based heroes actively less interesting

removing roa then seeing where they end up is the right call tbh

obF2Wuw.png